HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[VAN] Edler signs extension [6 years/30 mil]

Old
01-19-2013, 12:03 PM
Drouin2Stamkos

vCash: 500
Was hoping he would be TBs next defensemen from Vancouver. Great signing.

Drouin2Stamkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 12:06 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Great contract for this guy. Will make whatever Subban gets even worse.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 12:09 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Nice. Really locks down our top four on defense for the foreseeable future ... really not much to worry about on the back end for a long time. Now we need to trade Ballard and have some young guys on competitive deals step up to solidify that bottom pairing.

Bobby Lou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 12:09 PM
stevecanuck16

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybbe View Post
Wow, that's a great deal.

What's in store for Ballard now though? Fifth highest paid d-man on the team at 4.2m.
Well, for this season, it's not a problem. Ballard is the fifth best defenseman on the team, and he's now being paid the fifth most. His poor play has been exaggerated, especially for last year. Part of the reason he looks so bad is in comparison to his teammates, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. We have 5 top-4 defenseman, and a pretty good #6 in Tanev.

When healthy, I think the Canucks have a claim on the top D in the league, and are at least top 5. Healthy, however, cannot be counted on this season.

stevecanuck16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 12:15 PM
Pump n Dump

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The best potential free agent D is off the market. There are not many good options on the free agent market this summer. Mostly older guys looking for one big contract. Players who have seen their best days already. Even the forwards ranks thin out after the two Anaheim guys. There are a handful of players who are young enough to still contribute over the next 4-5 years. Many old guy free agent forwards too.
Bodes well for dealing Ballard then!

Pump n Dump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 12:31 PM
Hampe
The Hampster

That's a damned good contract, nice signing by the 'Nucks here.

Hampe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 12:57 PM
Hi-wayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by whuttheeperson View Post
This X 1000. I for one was, and still am very happy about the Luongo signing. Differing slightly, for a few reasons I would prefer to trade Schneider. (bigger return, easier to move, the plan all along... etc
I'm of mixed mind about trading Schneider rather than Luongo. When Vancouver acquired Luongo, the management immediately considered him the team's main franchise player and decided to slowly build the team the old fashioned way from the goal out. Not only is that still the case, now both goal and defense core are at franchise level and will be for many years and now the team is working on solidifying the forward lines.

Compare the Canucks team building to many of the other teams. The Oilers for example are building a forward core that rivals the Rangers and Penguins, but they have no suport structure at the back end. To win they are going to have to revert to the Gretzky era of expecting to be scored upon but trying to outscore their competiton. Schultz may be their new Coffey, but they have no new Fuhr yet.

As far as I'm concerned when Gillis offered Luongo his present long term contract, Luongo's contract was an even better coup for the Canucks than Edler's contract is now. Under the CBA of the time, it not only assured the Canucks would have elite franchise level goal tending for years to come, it found a loophole in how to get around some of the cap rules. It's a pretty good guess Gillis was not thinking what Luongo's trade value would be due to the new contract. GM's look to improve their team now. Not 8 or 10 years from now. In all likelyhood Gillis believes Luongo will still be a first string or at least an above average backup five to ten years from now. At $5.3 million per year Luongo's cap is no longer even considered high for a first string goalie and five years from now likely average for a backup.

I think Gillis is going to do his up most to keep both Luongo and Schnieder. Both are franchise level goalies. Together, like the Sedins, they bring more to the team than the combination of each individually. It is also important to note that Gillis challanges all the prospects and players he brings in that in order for them to win a roster spot, they have to beat out the player who is in that roster spot. Schnieder did just that. Luongo didn't lose his spot. He is just as good a franchise level first string goalie as he was when he signed his latest contract and other GM's know that.

Now that Edler is signed and Ballard has had a chance to heal, I think you may see the next battle for roster position on our defense line up. Cap space can always be found for quality players. I think too many HF fans are too egar to write off Ballard as a failure when in fact, like Bieksa has already proved, he is also a top 4 defenseman. If such happens, it will be the team and our fans that win the most.

This post really isn't discussing Edler's signing, but it was the only place I could answer the poster's comments. Edler's signing has now effectively solidified the Canucks backend from the goal out and including protection for injuries at both postions. Gillis, quietly, is creating a team rather than a collection of hockey players. Don't look to see Gillis being too eager to trade either goal tender or any of the team's current top six D's. That would be counter productive to building a dynasty.

Hi-wayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 01:49 PM
re5piration
'67 til

good deal, imo.

re5piration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 01:54 PM
Crows*

A defensive stud just coming in to his prime. Loyal and classy. My favorite player.

“I don’t think I could ever dream about this situation,” the 26-year-old Swede said after the morning skate for Saturday’s season opener against the Anaheim Ducks. “I’m very fortunate to be here. I’m very happy.

“I wanted to stay here. It’s a great city, great fans, great hockey, a great organization. It was a no-brainer.”

He feels he “maybe,” left some money on the table to remain a Canuck.

“This is where I want to be,” he explained.

Canucks coach Alain Vigneault said that he thought the one-time Kelowna Rock could become “one of the best defencemen in the league.”

“We’ll see if we’re right on that call,” said Vigneault.

“I think he has potential to grow. We’re very fortunate to have him sign a six-year deal.”

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2013/01...medium=twitter

Crows* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 01:56 PM
ricky0034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-wayman View Post
At $5.3 million per year Luongo's cap is no longer even considered high for a first string goalie and five years from now likely average for a backup.
you seriously think backups will average 5.3 million in 5 years?

ricky0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 02:00 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanOberg View Post
Was hoping he would be TBs next defensemen from Vancouver. Great signing.
You guys leached off enough. How DARE you take Evan Oberg

Scottrockztheworld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 02:00 PM
Sh00terMcGavin
Snake? Snaaaaaaake!

Awesome, awesome contract. Great deal for the 'Nucks.

Sh00terMcGavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 02:10 PM
jiggy35

sign & trade????

jiggy35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 02:17 PM
Toxic0n

Interesting that he didn't get an NTC like the Bieksa/Hamhuis/Garrison contracts. Makes his contract even better.

I saw him driving to Rogers Arena about an hour before the deal was announced. I waved and he waved back and seemed really happy. Now I know why haha.

Toxic0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 02:18 PM
Crows*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic0n View Post
Interesting that he didn't get an NTC like the Bieksa/Hamhuis/Garrison contracts. Makes his contract even better.

I saw him driving to Rogers Arena about an hour before the deal was announced. I waved and he waved back and seemed really happy. Now I know why haha.
I'm pretty sure he got a Ntc

Crows* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 02:21 PM
Moore Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggy35 View Post
sign & trade????
for Datsyuk

Moore Money is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 02:24 PM
hockeycore

Nice. Now he can sit back and collect his paycheques and not have to give a crap any more!

hockeycore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 02:36 PM
Rhaego

Thats a steal....

Please can the Avs make an O'Reilly trade for him

Rhaego is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 04:25 PM
ProstheticConscience
Seeing is believing

vCash: 883
Quote:
sign & trade????
Keep dreaming.

ProstheticConscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 05:23 PM
Toxic0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows View Post
I'm pretty sure he got a Ntc
Has this been confirmed? He does not have a NTC on Capgeek

Toxic0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 05:32 PM
yoss

Mike Gillis does it again. What a relief to know we have Edler, really loving the look of our D right now. Perfect timing too, one less thing to worry about. Was always a fan, guy is so humble, was concerned a bit for awhile there we might lose him.

yoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 06:20 PM
Flat Stanley

That is a really awesome contract.

Flat Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 07:26 PM
crazy Kassian
The North Remembers

Quote:
sign & trade????
legit lol

idc what the return is, that is just a smack in the face

crazy Kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:31 PM
Flowzak
I saw, I conquered.

5 million a year for a #1D? What is this? How the hell.....what?

Flowzak is offline   Reply With Quote