HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The Luongo Thread: Nothing Else Matters

View Poll Results: Where will Luongo end up?
Toronto 1 8.33%
Florida 8 66.67%
Philly 1 8.33%
Washington 0 0%
Tampa Bay 0 0%
Columbus 0 0%
Chicago 0 0%
N.Y. Islanders 0 0%
Detroit 0 0%
Other 2 16.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-28-2013, 05:16 PM
SunshineRays

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
I wonder how connected Bobby Mac even is when it comes to the Canucks.

Throughout this Luongo situation (and going back further to Hodgson/Booth), it's been pretty clear to me he has zero connections w/ Canucks. All his info has come from Tor or Fla, I'm assuming that's where he got his "price is the same' info.

Old
01-28-2013, 05:30 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
So Kessel (Tor), Perry (Ana), O'Reilly (Col) and a few other impact forwards are all rumoured and rumbling to be on the move....three way?

Kessel to Colorado

Luongo (significant + from Colorado, smaller + from Vancouver) to Toronto

O'Reilly ($5 million is his requested salary) to Vancouver

Bah, all the pieces are there, make your own joke.
The Canucks could use Kessel more than they could use O'Reilly at this point. Pair him with Kesler and they'd eat teams' second pairings alive.

Old
01-28-2013, 05:32 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
I would expect no less from Gillis...he's waited this long, and there really is no panic at the moment. Once we get Kesler and Booth back he can make a better evaluation of the team and then decide how he wants to proceed.
I think he can also make a better evaluation after seeing what Schroeder looks like with 10-15 games under his belt. Where Kassian is at mid-season could also play into what type of asset to target.

With the condensed schedule it makes sense to ride both goalies until the deadline and pull the trigger then. I just hope this doesn't drag out past then.

Old
01-28-2013, 05:40 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CpatainCanuck View Post
O'Reilly would be nice!...but canna we afford to pay him 5 million dollars a season?
Some creative accounting, and we can afford anyone. We have Lu pencilled in to a lot of our rosters, and swapping him with Lack, and dropping an ELC from our roster for O'Reilly, and we could afford him and be a better team. That being said though....he hasn't earned 5 in my eyes unless it's a one year, prorated deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
The Canucks could use Kessel more than they could use O'Reilly at this point. Pair him with Kesler and they'd eat teams' second pairings alive.
We absolutely could, but that + from Colorado and + from Vancouver is Gaunce, 1st and 2nd in 2013 for a straight trade according to Leafs fans. That kind of trade I want no part of, so we'd drop Lu from it and move him else where.

Old
01-28-2013, 05:42 PM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineRays View Post
Throughout this Luongo situation (and going back further to Hodgson/Booth), it's been pretty clear to me he has zero connections w/ Canucks. All his info has come from Tor or Fla, I'm assuming that's where he got his "price is the same' info.
So if even he has no connections, then the rest of the TSN crew can be pretty much written off as they're all from one side (Dreger with Toronto).

Quote:
Does that mean you're fine with Schroeder as 3C? Just curious to know what you think.

Old
01-28-2013, 05:57 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
We absolutely could, but that + from Colorado and + from Vancouver is Gaunce, 1st and 2nd in 2013 for a straight trade according to Leafs fans. That kind of trade I want no part of, so we'd drop Lu from it and move him else where.
That's because they're delusional. I'd give up a lot for Kessel though. Adding Booth to Luongo would probably be a good start. Add in some futures and you have the making of a reasonable trade.

Quote:
Does that mean you're fine with Schroeder as 3C? Just curious to know what you think.
Yeah, I would be, at least for now. I also think more highly of Malhotra than most here.

Worst case scenario, the Canucks could make a move at the deadline to get a #3 centre. There are a ton of that type of player slated to go UFA after this season on teams that don't look to be contenders.

Old
01-28-2013, 06:14 PM
SunshineRays

Quote:
So if even he has no connections, then the rest of the TSN crew can be pretty much written off as they're all from one side (Dreger with Toronto).
I'd agree, TSN and Sportsnet guys know nothing. Basically, all the rumors and apparent 'inside info' over the last few months have come from other teams (specifically Tor and Fla). There have been a few tidbits from Botchford, other than that - there's been zilch from Canucks.

Old
01-28-2013, 08:08 PM
Free Edler
Soft.

Quote:
I'm getting the same impression. I don't think Bobby Mac has a connection with the Canucks at all.

Old
01-28-2013, 08:17 PM
stish

vCash:
Where are you getting the Kessel trade rumours from?

Old
01-28-2013, 08:18 PM
craigcaulks*

Quote:
Originally Posted by stish View Post
Running out of names?

Old
01-28-2013, 08:23 PM
me2
Callng out the crap

vCash: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by stish View Post

"That Kadri, he's so hot", clearly he must have passed Kessel in TO fans minds

Old
01-28-2013, 08:31 PM
me2
Callng out the crap

vCash: 93
Quote:
That's because they're delusional. I'd give up a lot for Kessel though. Adding Booth to Luongo would probably be a good start. Add in some futures and you have the making of a reasonable trade.
He's pretty 1 dimensional, but it's a dimension we need.

Quote:
Yeah, I would be, at least for now. I also think more highly of Malhotra than most here.

Worst case scenario, the Canucks could make a move at the deadline to get a #3 centre. There are a ton of that type of player slated to go UFA after this season on teams that don't look to be contenders.
Schroeder might be ok on the 3C with Kesler back but I'm not comfortable unless there is another skill player upgrade in the top 6. Another injury to Kesler or the Sedins and we are doomed again.

Old
01-28-2013, 09:11 PM
shortshorts

vCash: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
He's pretty 1 dimensional, but it's a dimension we need.

Schroeder might be ok on the 3C with Kesler back but I'm not comfortable unless there is another skill player upgrade in the top 6. Another injury to Kesler or the Sedins and we are doomed again.
Id rather have Alex Semin

Old
01-28-2013, 09:14 PM
LiquidSnake

Quote:
I think the problem is that neither can pass

Old
01-28-2013, 09:17 PM
MajorCanuck
Cup Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
I think the problem is that neither can pass
As said before with Cody, move him to the wing and try him with a playmaker.

Old
01-28-2013, 09:32 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Luongo for Kessel straight up?

01-28-2013, 09:33 PM
StringerBell

Kesler is not getting moved to the wing. His two way play in the middle of the ice is way too strong to be wasted on the wing.

Old
01-28-2013, 09:37 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
FIRE AND FURY

Wrong thread.

Old
01-28-2013, 09:50 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
Kesler is not getting moved to the wing. His two way play in the middle of the ice is way too strong to be wasted on the wing.
Something tells me you haven't heard of Jere Lehtinen.

Kesler can still be a great 2-way player from the wing...

Old
01-29-2013, 04:50 AM
SunshineRays

Not sure if posted yet, but found these 2 things very interesting: Link

Quote:
There is talk the Florida Panthers could be for sale ... again. The club is looking for further capital and judging by last week's visit, the Panthers could certainly use more cash. You can get season tickets at the BB&T Center for as low as $7 per game -- and free parking comes with the package. That wouldn't last long in Canada ... There is talk C Stephen Weiss, a UFA on July 1, will be gone before the deadline because the Panthers don't have the cash to sign him.
Quote:
Lots of teams are waiting to see where the dominos fall with Vancouver G Roberto Luongo before making a move for a netminder. Canucks GM Mike Gillis has told several teams he's not doing anything until he gets his asking price. Yes, the Edmonton Oilers have what it takes to acquire Luongo, but he wouldn't approve a trade there. The Panthers don't want to make a deal unless Gillis is willing to take cash back. The Canucks know the pressure is mounting in some markets to win and they'll find a desperate GM trying to save his job, maybe even Washington or Philly

'If' the 1st quote is true, it explains the 2nd quote - they literally can't afford him unless Canucks find a way to take $$ back. Also, 'if' the 1st quote is true - what the heck are they doing looking to acquire a $40+M contract? It would suggest they really want Luongo.

I've said for sometime that I think Fla wants Luongo for reasons in addition to goaltending. I'm curious if Gillis and Tallon can find a mutually beneficial way for Van to take $$ back. Gillis has publicly said that's not going to happen - but maybe the return package is better if Canucks can eat some $$. There's been a lot of talk on these boards about the Van- Fla holdup being about asking price. But this is the 2nd source (in addition to Dreger) who suggest the hold up is about $$. Interesting.

Last edited by SunshineRays: 01-29-2013 at 05:02 AM.
Old
01-29-2013, 05:01 AM
Lonny Bohonos
$15mil Mentor-pede

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorCanuck View Post
As said before with Cody, move him to the wing and try him with a playmaker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
Maybe this is part of the rationale with Burrows playing centre.

Kesler comes back to play on Schroeder's wing. Or Burrow centers Kes. Still need a 3rd line center option.

Old
01-29-2013, 05:15 AM
Pseudonymous*

Quote:
Not sure if posted yet, but found these 2 things very interesting: Link

'If' the 1st quote is true, it explains the 2nd quote - they literally can't afford him unless Canucks find a way to take $$ back. Also, 'if' the 1st quote is true - what the heck are they doing looking to acquire a $40+M contract? It would suggest they really want Luongo.

I've said for sometime that I think Fla wants Luongo for reasons in addition to goaltending. I'm curious if Gillis and Tallon can find a mutually beneficial way for Van to take $$ back. Gillis has publicly said that's not going to happen - but maybe the return package is better if Canucks can eat some $$. There's been a lot of talk on these boards about the Van- Fla holdup being about asking price. But this is the 2nd source (in addition to Dreger) who suggest the hold up is about $$. Interesting.
Well the other source is Gillis himself, he said (which was mentioned in the Cam Cole article) that they have had offers where people have tried to give them salary back but hes not interested in that

“We have a potential deal in place with one team that has to do something with another player that they have — and it’s not who anybody thinks it is — and so we have to wait. (But) we’ve been offered packages that don’t fit what our plan is, what we need,” said Gillis.

Like, how?

“Excess salary coming back with a [throw-in] player who can’t play in our lineup. They say, ‘OK, we’ll do this, but you’ve got to take this.’ Well, we’re not taking it. We’ve had lots of proposals like that with good pieces that can help us but the other part doesn’t help us, and oftentimes they have term attached to them, so we’d just be turning around and buying out a guy.

“I’d rather keep the guy we know, who’s a good person.”

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/C...#ixzz2JMWHfZBU

I think he'd have to be really sold on the player if theyre going to take up salary and he'll have to be confident that person can fit into our group of guys if hes going to be forced to let go of a couple. We're up against the cap, to acquire one high priced guy, even if he were to stick in the lineup, the amount of players we'd need to lose to make that work is quite a bit. mainly next year

Hes DEFINITELY not interested in any cap dumps if thats what youre getting at

Old
01-29-2013, 05:23 AM
Lonny Bohonos
$15mil Mentor-pede

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudonymous01 View Post
Well the other source is Gillis himself, he said (which was mentioned in the Cam Cole article) that they have had offers where people have tried to give them salary back but hes not interested in that

“We have a potential deal in place with one team that has to do something with another player that they have — and it’s not who anybody thinks it is — and so we have to wait. (But) we’ve been offered packages that don’t fit what our plan is, what we need,” said Gillis.

Like, how?

“Excess salary coming back with a [throw-in] player who can’t play in our lineup. They say, ‘OK, we’ll do this, but you’ve got to take this.’ Well, we’re not taking it. We’ve had lots of proposals like that with good pieces that can help us but the other part doesn’t help us, and oftentimes they have term attached to them, so we’d just be turning around and buying out a guy.

I think he'd have to be really sold on the player if theyre going to take up salary and he'll have to be confident that person can fit into our group of guys if hes going to be forced to let go of a couple. We're up against the cap, to acquire one high priced guy, even if he were to stick in the lineup, the amount of players we'd need to lose to make that work is quite a bit. mainly next year

And that could be the game.

Hes knows his best offer is with a team that will give him salary back and hes using the media to "sweeten the pot".

Old
01-29-2013, 05:35 AM
SunshineRays

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudonymous01 View Post

Like, how?

Ya, I'm not talking about cap dumps - I know that's not going to happen. But in the past, Tallon and Gillis have found a way to get creative. In Booth trade, Gillis took Reinprect and his high salary and barried him in the minors, and Canucks got a 3rd round pick (he essentially bought the pick). You can't barry $$ in minors anymore (without if affecting cap space), but there has to be other loopholes or other ways.

Old
01-29-2013, 07:15 AM

vCash: 50
Quote:
Our biggest problem is we are so heavily reliant on both H. Sedin (and by extension Daniel) and Kesler being healthy. Either drops and we're screwed - and historically either Henrik, Ryan, Daniel or two out of three get injured at some point.

Adding someone like ROR would play a huge role in resolving that issue.

Closed Thread