HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Luongo Thread: Nothing Else Matters

View Poll Results: Where will Luongo end up?
Toronto 1 8.33%
Florida 8 66.67%
Philly 1 8.33%
Washington 0 0%
Tampa Bay 0 0%
Columbus 0 0%
Chicago 0 0%
N.Y. Islanders 0 0%
Detroit 0 0%
Other 2 16.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-29-2013, 08:24 AM
jigsaw99

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Luongo for Kessel straight up?
TO would never do that.. won't make sense for them

Old
01-29-2013, 09:40 AM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

I was worried that Mike Gillis would take back a lesser package for Luongo, but the guy has certainly proved me wrong so far. Solid job GMMG.

Old
01-29-2013, 10:12 AM
Liferleafer
Bob's assclown

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Luongo for Kessel straight up?
If Kessel were to be dealt, it would be for the exact opposite of a Luongo style player/contract. It would indicate that the pin has been pulled....and the explosion of our team would shortly follow. Thus...YOUNG players with upside and/or high picks would be on the wishlist.

Old
01-29-2013, 11:28 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
I wonder how connected Bobby Mac even is when it comes to the Canucks.

During the Gillis tenure, he never has been. He gets no scoop on them it seems. Nothing inside.

He started off guessing, and now he's moved onto using bits of info from potential partners. He's got no "in" to VAN itself.

The whole TSN crew has been a write off from the beginning.

Edit: Still hold out hope for LeBrun but it's fading fast.

Old
01-29-2013, 11:32 AM
PRNuck
Sell the team.

vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
During the Gillis tenure, he never has been. He gets no scoop on them it seems. Nothing inside.

He started off guessing, and now he's moved onto using bits of info from potential partners. He's got no "in" to VAN itself.

Remember the "soft deal" Gillis would have to accept?

Old
01-29-2013, 01:57 PM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

Quote:

I've always liked Lebrun, but yeah even he's in tough. It's also hard to keep track of who's said what when this whole thing has been going on for so long.

Perhaps it has something to do with Gillis too? Dunno how he does it when some other teams seem to have inside leaks but he runs a tight ship.

Old
01-29-2013, 03:44 PM
Bourne Endeavor

vCash: 178
If Florida is having financial difficulty. We might be able to get Weiss in a trade if some additional salary came back. I'm less concerned with a "dump" provided they are either effective in whatever role they play and/or do not have term - Santorelli for instance. A shame Upshall and Kopecky have such horrid contracts. They would be more useful at center than what we have sans Kesler.

Old
01-29-2013, 04:45 PM
SunshineRays

TEAM Radio ‏@TEAM1040
Quote:
Canucks announce that goalie Eddie Lack has had hip surgery. Reports say it's a six-month recovery .
Brad Ziemer ‏@BradZiemer
Quote:
Lack had not played since late November. This was supposed to be his final year of seasoning in minors. He's on a 1-way contract next season
Youch.

Also, regarding Weiss: http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...e-way-out.html

Last edited by SunshineRays: 01-29-2013 at 05:30 PM.
Old
01-29-2013, 04:54 PM
VanEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
If Florida is having financial difficulty. We might be able to get Weiss in a trade if some additional salary came back. I'm less concerned with a "dump" provided they are either effective in whatever role they play and/or do not have term - Santorelli for instance. A shame Upshall and Kopecky have such horrid contracts. They would be more useful at center than what we have sans Kesler.
Florida might go the other way with their season, though. Last year was kinda like that year Colorado had a couple years ago. It was unexpected and way ahead of schedule. Florida's rebuilding and their poor start might convince them that their best course of action is to just ride it out and draft high again.

Old
01-29-2013, 06:10 PM
Scurr
Bear G

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
Florida might go the other way with their season, though. Last year was kinda like that year Colorado had a couple years ago. It was unexpected and way ahead of schedule. Florida's rebuilding and their poor start might convince them that their best course of action is to just ride it out and draft high again.
Hockey wise that makes sense. Business wise, the reason the Panthers don't have any traction off the ice is because they've never had any on it. 3 playoff appearances in almost 20 years is pathetic. They might decide that building for next year or the year after is what is best but I don't think they are going to throw the momentum they gained in that market last season away so easily.

Old
01-29-2013, 07:22 PM
SunshineRays

Quote:

Yah, there's been a lot of guesswork. And in fairness, they've often said things like "It's believed" or "I think" - but since when does insider work include guessing? ******* ******** spends his life guessing, does that make him an insider.

I remember a few yrs ago Gillis was on a radio show that's showed on TV. He was asked something about the TSN insider guys and he nonchalantly ripped them. Saying something about 'they don't get info from me or my team'.

LeBrun is also getting his info from Tor and Fla, but I have hopes for Friedman. He's had 1 or 2 things over the years - I actually think Gillis might give him the odd tidbit.

Edit: what's with the ****? Not allowed to talk about the anonymous twitter guy who thinks he's a hockey trade breaker and rumor monger. Weird that HF has redacted his twitter handle.

Old
01-29-2013, 08:09 PM
me2
Callng out the crap

vCash: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineRays View Post
Ya, I'm not talking about cap dumps - I know that's not going to happen. But in the past, Tallon and Gillis have found a way to get creative. In Booth trade, Gillis took Reinprect and his high salary and barried him in the minors, and Canucks got a 3rd round pick (he essentially bought the pick). You can't barry $$ in minors anymore (without if affecting cap space), but there has to be other loopholes or other ways.
League created massive one. Amnesty buyouts. I'm just waiting to see which GM is brave enough to push the limits and use it for cash for assets

1. what asset will you give me to buyout your bad player?

2. What will you give to buyout player so you can sign him cheap. If Florida tanks this year, they may like Luongo in the offseason. I wonder what they would give up for us to buy out Luongo and Luongo agrees to sign there cheap.

The offseason is going to be interesting unless the league has a bunch of clauses attached to amnesty.

Last edited by me2: 01-29-2013 at 08:17 PM.
Old
01-29-2013, 09:38 PM
SunshineRays

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
League created massive one. Amnesty buyouts. I'm just waiting to see which GM is brave enough to push the limits and use it for cash for assets

1. what asset will you give me to buyout your bad player?

2. What will you give to buyout player so you can sign him cheap. If Florida tanks this year, they may like Luongo in the offseason. I wonder what they would give up for us to buy out Luongo and Luongo agrees to sign there cheap.

The offseason is going to be interesting unless the league has a bunch of clauses attached to amnesty.
Very true, the amnesty clause could be the x-factor. But I don't think the Canucks have ever bought anyone out under Gillis, have they? As an x player agent, I'm guessing he doesn't like how it looks around the league to other players.

If Fla wants Van to buy out a player or two, I wonder who they're talking about? Upshall? Unfortunately Garrison and Upshall are BFF, so maybe someone like Santorelli. He could play w/ Canucks this yr and they don't have to qualify him this summer. Van is a very wealthy team, I don't get why the $$ issue is such a big one.

Edit: Also, from Panthers media guys says tons of socuts at Fla-TB game tonight (including Van):

George Richards ‏@GeorgeRichards
Quote:
At 1-4-0 we can start this game: scouts from Calgary, Pitt, Chicago, Detroit, VAN, NYR and Dallas at #FlaPanthers #tbLightning tonight

Old
01-29-2013, 10:11 PM
StringerBell

I would be shocked if our scouts weren't looking at Shore tonight. He's the quintessential Gillis type player with his size, character and youth. He also seems to have had a pretty good game tonight going 12/17 on faceoffs with a +2 in a 5-2 loss.

Old
01-29-2013, 10:15 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
I would be shocked if our scouts weren't looking at Shore tonight. He's the quintessential Gillis type player with his size, character and youth. He also seems to have had a pretty good game tonight going 12/17 on faceoffs with a +2 in a 5-2 loss.
I've liked what I've seen from Shore this season but don't think Tallon would move him. Tallon is obsessed with size and the Panthers shouldn't be moving their quality youth at a point in time where they looked poised to finish in the cellar.

Old
01-29-2013, 10:21 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
I've liked what I've seen from Shore this season but don't think Tallon would move him. Tallon is obsessed with size and the Panthers shouldn't be moving their quality youth at a point in time where they looked poised to finish in the cellar.
Maybe, maybe not. Either way I think it's promising that we had scouts there to (presumably) watch him. I don't know who else they would be watching on Florida considering everyone else has 100+ games NHL experience. You would think they have a pretty good grasp on those guys' capabilities at this point.

Old
01-29-2013, 10:21 PM
LiquidSnake

Acquiring Weiss may be a mistake. Aside from Lu, has there been any guy from FLA that we've acquired that hasn't been disappointing?

Ballard, Oreskovich, Garrisson, Booth.

Ok maybe Higgins but that's about it. Most seem to struggle when they go from East to West

Old
01-29-2013, 10:23 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
Acquiring Weiss may be a mistake. Aside from Lu, has there been any guy from FLA that we've acquired that hasn't been disappointing?

Ok maybe Higgins but that's about it. Most seem to struggle when they go from East to West
Jovo

Old
01-29-2013, 10:24 PM
timw33

Quote:

Higgins we didn't pay much for, Booth we paid little for, Ballard and Oreskovich lost us a 1st (Howden) Grabner and Bernier, Garrison was a FA. Luckily we haven't paid much for these assets aside from Ballard.

Old
01-29-2013, 10:25 PM
BerSTUzzi

Quote:

Does Garrison even need to be on that list yet? 6 games? The Twins have been just as brutal.

Old
01-29-2013, 10:31 PM
Crows*

Dan tencer on team 1040 saying that he has more faith in dubnyk in the playoffs then luongo.... Hahahahaha

Old
01-29-2013, 10:31 PM
LiquidSnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerSTUzzi View Post
Does Garrison even need to be on that list yet? 6 games? The Twins have been just as brutal.
No he doesn't but I used him for arguments sake

Old
01-29-2013, 10:33 PM
LiquidSnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows View Post
Dan tencer on team 1040 saying that he has more faith in dubnyk in the playoffs then luongo.... Hahahahaha
1040 are such clowns for even having him on there. And it's always easy to have faith in the unknown.

Old
Win One Before I Die
Cautious Optimism

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerSTUzzi View Post
Im hoping that guys who have been playing all year long will burn out in the condensed schedule. The Canucks should be one of the more fresh teams after this insane grind, slow start, hard finish, like always.

Old
Fat Tony
Fire Benning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows View Post
Dubnyk is undefeated in the playoffs. Durr.

Closed Thread