HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Luongo Thread: Nothing Else Matters

View Poll Results: Where will Luongo end up?
Toronto 1 8.33%
Florida 8 66.67%
Philly 1 8.33%
Washington 0 0%
Tampa Bay 0 0%
Columbus 0 0%
Chicago 0 0%
N.Y. Islanders 0 0%
Detroit 0 0%
Other 2 16.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2013, 01:46 AM
Sergei Shirokov

vCash: 500
I can't see any chance the Leafs consider Luongo for Kessel.

If they won't do Gardiner for Luongo or Kadri, Bozak, 2nd for Luongo.

Then I don't see them trading there best forward that they paid that much for in a one for one for Roberto Luongo even a remote possibility.

Although if we did have him.. I agree CloutierForVezina, put him with Schroeder.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:47 AM
SunshineRays

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanGrossman View Post
I still maintain (purely based on my own speculation) that Luongo will only waive for FLA at this stage. I can't imagine him willingly wanting to go to Toronto. Perhaps this is why Gillis asked for some absurd price from Burke (Gardiner, their 5th overall pick, and whatever else) knowing that Burke would tell him to **** off. I mean, Gillis knows Burke. He knows Burke will either yap to the media or leak it that Luongo refused a trade - if he agreed to Gillis demands only to be rebuffed by Luongo himself........so Gillis keep the price sky high and makes sure no one know Luongo will only waive for FLA. Gillis knows that if it gets out that Luongo will only go to FLA then Tallon has him by the balls.

I think Tallon should do it and will do it. He will thrive in FLA. I think Stephen Weiss and a 2nd rate prospect will get it done. Will FLA do that? I bet the fanbase says no.
It's definitely an interesting theory. Going back to July, it was speculated (by Botch and Gallagher) that Lu was going to wait to see if Fla stuck around - and wouldn't waive for Tor at that time. I'd assume that, over time, he'd expand his list of teams 'if' he wants out of Van to be a starter. If your theory is true, Gillis can't be happy his player has a list of only 1 team - it obviously gives him little negotiating power. Maybe that's why Gillis's trumpeting 'we're happy going with both goalies all yr" - while he plays a game of chicken with Lu.

Fla fanbase, or any fanbase for that matter, isn't going to want to trade valuable assets for a guy from another team. Fans get attached to 'their' players (see Rick Nash trade and the 'we don't want Nash chants). If Fla's having $$ troubles and is still looking to acquire a $40+M contract - they must really want him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Tony View Post
I just saw the segment with Dreger. He said that anything swirling around Kessel is media generated.
I confused. So TSN panel didn't say Kessels untouchable? Either way, like the Bry situation, no way Tor's GM wants this type of info out there. Could be a landmine waiting to happen for the teams players.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:51 AM
StringerBell

Dreger said now that Burke is out of Toronto he won't be as untouchable as he once was, considering Burke would never be able to trade him again. He made it clear that the Leafs weren't shopping Kessel at all, but he said they would be listening to offers.

Interview below.

http://video.tsn.ca/?dl=nhl-analysis...nalysis/latest

Last edited by StringerBell: 01-30-2013 at 01:56 AM. Reason: Added Interview
Old
01-30-2013, 01:51 AM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 50
Kessel is used to having no center, I guess.

I have an additional concern , not mentioned much around here, that Kesler comes back at fifty or sixty percent. We have seen with Malhotra that Gillis will let him play at a reduced level. So, if Gillis trades for a winger and Kesler returns as a third or fourth line winger, who plays center? Having already moved Luongo for Kessel or another winger, who does Gillis trade to get a center?

Moving a goalie means having to replace that player in the line-up. Gillis didn't just slot in a guy when Lack was injured. There isn't an NHL goalie in the system. Can Gillis get a top six center and a back-up for a deposed starter? That's asking a lot.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:52 AM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineRays View Post
Did they say that in context to a Luongo trade, or just in general?
I heard it as he's generally on the table, not specifically in relation to Luongo. They also said he wasn't being "shopped around", which is BS, because leaking "not untouchable" to the media is exactly that, shopping around.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:53 AM
lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
I have no idea. Would we be interested if it was a straight swap for Luongo?
Just a week ago, the 4 untouchables according to the Leafs armcharis were

Kessel
Riley
Kadri
Kessel

Other then these 4, Leafs have nothing to offer. Obsolutley nothing to offer. If Leafs want Luongo their best bet is Kessel, other wise, they are living a dream if they offer anything else. I can't see any other combination that Mike Gillis will take from the Laffs. Dave Nonis is probably testing the waters.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:53 AM
StringerBell

On a more Luongo related note, did we discuss this interview with Pierre from last week? Definitely the most refreshing interview on the topic I've heard from an "insider" since the process began. He speculates Philadelphia as the mystery team.

http://video.tsn.ca/?dl=nhl-thatshoc...shockey/latest

Old
01-30-2013, 01:54 AM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanGrossman View Post
Gillis knows that if it gets out that Luongo will only go to FLA...
I'm fairly confident that if HF posters can figure that out, so can someone like Tallon.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:56 AM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
He made it clear that the Leafs weren't shopping Kessel at all, but I got the feeling that they were curious to know his market value around the league.
Which is "plausible deniability" nonsense, of course. Finding out market value is the walking talking definition of shopping.

Even if it doesn't involve Vancouver, I'm now very curious what Toronto is up to.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:57 AM
OgoBoHo
FIRE DESJARDINS

vCash: 53
Quote:
On a more Luongo related note, did we discuss this interview with Pierre from last week? Definitely the most refreshing interview on the topic I've heard from an "insider" since the process began. He speculates Philadelphia as the mystery team.

http://video.tsn.ca/?dl=nhl-thatshoc...shockey/latest
The way Bryzgalov has been playing, I don't think Philadelphia is an option much anymore, if at all. They have bigger issues right now. Defense needs some work.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:57 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
I'm fairly confident that if HF posters can figure that out, so can someone like Tallon.
<crushing armchair GMs dreams everywhere>

Old
01-30-2013, 01:58 AM
StringerBell

Quote:
Which is "plausible deniability" nonsense, of course. Finding out market value is the walking talking definition of shopping.

Even if it doesn't involve Vancouver, I'm now very curious what Toronto is up to.
For sure. I added the interview above if you haven't seen it yet.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:59 AM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Canuck View Post
The way Bryzgalov has been playing, I don't think Philadelphia is an option much anymore, if at all. They have bigger issues right now. Defense needs some work.
Maybe, maybe not. What I appreciated was the candidness when addressing how the media has turned it into a circus to sell the story.

Old
01-30-2013, 02:07 AM
Fat Tony

Quote:
If Tallon can figure out a fax machine, he can figure this out.

Old
01-30-2013, 02:10 AM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:

Old
01-30-2013, 02:17 AM
YouCantYandleThis*
Moustache Enthusiast

It's a real shame that every time a poster says anything remotely positive about Luongo/Schneider (but let's not kid ourselves, this is mainly referring to Luongo), somebody from either side of the argument (you people know who you are) have to jump in with a borderline trolling comment to "even the score"...or something.

Whatever it is, as someone who respects and adores Luongo for his time here, but also loves Schneider and the fantastic goaltender he has the potential to be, it becomes a real chore to read on these boards and these forums. It's fine for everybody to have an opinion, but this infighting is ****ing ridiculous and makes us all look like a pathetic, whiny bunch of ******.

Old
01-30-2013, 02:21 AM
SunshineRays

Quote:
I heard it as he's generally on the table, not specifically in relation to Luongo. They also said he wasn't being "shopped around", which is BS, because leaking "not untouchable" to the media is exactly that, shopping around.

Uh thanks.

Quote:
Dreger said now that Burke is out of Toronto he won't be as untouchable as he once was, considering Burke would never be able to trade him again. He made it clear that the Leafs weren't shopping Kessel at all, but he said they would be listening to offers.

Interview below.

http://video.tsn.ca/?dl=nhl-analysis...nalysis/latest
Funny how it's an insider trading segment, yet it's all about the Leafs. Is Nonis Dregers only source or what? Seems pretty clear that Kessels available for the right price, which is funny considering the gluttony of errors it took to acquire him. That organization gets a big 'shakes head in embarrassment' from me.

Old
01-30-2013, 02:39 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineRays View Post
Uh thanks.

Funny how it's an insider trading segment, yet it's all about the Leafs. Is Nonis Dregers only source or what? Seems pretty clear that Kessels available for the right price, which is funny considering the gluttony of errors it took to acquire him. That organization gets a big 'shakes head in embarrassment' from me.
Someone needs to make a giant facepalm picture made up of smaller pictures of various leaf gaffs.

Old
01-30-2013, 02:59 AM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

Quote:
Ouch!

Quote:
Maybe, maybe not. What I appreciated was the candidness when addressing how the media has turned it into a circus to sell the story.
Lebrun is probably the best of the lot (in a good way). That's not saying much, however, but credit to him nonetheless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
Someone needs to make a giant facepalm picture made up of smaller pictures of various leaf gaffs.
And we can start with that gif of Carlyle face-palming that came out a few days ago. Where is that pic again?

Old
01-30-2013, 03:19 AM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence View Post
Just a week ago, the 4 untouchables according to the Leafs armcharis were

Kessel
Riley
Kadri
Kessel

Other then these 4, Leafs have nothing to offer. Obsolutley nothing to offer. If Leafs want Luongo their best bet is Kessel, other wise, they are living a dream if they offer anything else. I can't see any other combination that Mike Gillis will take from the Laffs. Dave Nonis is probably testing the waters.
They could throw together a package of young assets that could work IMO. Something like:

Frattin + Finn/Biggs + 1st

is something I would look at long and hard, then once my eyes get tired, would possibly accept.

Old
01-30-2013, 03:23 AM
kevinsane
Lundqvist clone.

Who backs up if Lu is traded? There's nobody on the teams mentioned in rumoured that I'd want coming back.

Short season, keep Lu for all of it and then rob someone blind in the offseason.

Old
01-30-2013, 03:28 AM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsane View Post
Who backs up if Lu is traded? There's nobody on the teams mentioned in rumoured that I'd want coming back.

Short season, keep Lu for all of it and then rob someone blind in the offseason.
Climie has played well on the farm. Who knows if we'll give him a shot? Would be a cheap option... if it comes to that.

Old
01-30-2013, 03:29 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:

Burrows.

Old
01-30-2013, 04:22 AM
sunnyvale420

There are 2 florida teams, shocking revelation i know i know. With both having suspect goaltending it would be beneficial to have both florida teams bidding. In tampa his wife could drive to see her family instead of flying

Old
01-30-2013, 05:05 AM
Peter Bazooka

vCash: 50
Quote:
Who backs up if Lu is traded?
Goaltending consultant Dan Cloutier come on down.

Closed Thread