HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Different perspective: The Hawks streak

Old
03-04-2013, 10:35 PM
xX Hot Fuss
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Different perspective: The Hawks streak

Dont bite my head off for suggesting this, but could it possibly be that our Hawks are on this streak because they're the only team (aside from the Ducks) that are actually playing well? Meaning that the rest of the West is just playing bad hockey and the Hawks, the only team playing well, is just capitalizing on the bad play of other teams?

Vancouver: 11-6-4 and dealing with some injuries, not playing elite hockey

San Jose: Started off 8-1 or something like that, now they're 10-6-4 and cant buy a goal

St. Louis: Everyone expected them to run away with the West, now they're 11-8-2 and have some of the worst goaltending in the league

Minnesota: Added Parise and Suter but they're still not a great team. Big holes on defense and in their bottom 6

Dallas: Lethtonen is a stud but they have no defense. Roy is their #1C and he has 3 goals

Detroit: 10-8-4 and dealing with injuries, but they're as old and slow as ever. A few prospects have stepped up nicely but their 2nd line is Cleary-Dats-Abdelkader. Combine that with no Lidstrom and no Stuart

Phoenix: Proving that last season was an anomoly, Smith hasn't been nearly as effective as he was in the playoffs and their true colors are showing

Nashville: Weber really struggled early, that team is all Rinne, they still struggle to even get shots on net at a NHL level

LA: Injuries hurt their blue line but it seemed like EVERYONE had them as the #1 or #2 seed in the West. They're looking a lot like the Kings team from the 1st half of last season, minus the elite Quick goaltending

Calgary: Its Calgary...

Colorado: Huge injuries, just got ROR back

Edmonton: Pathetically bad at this point. 8-9-4, have zero offense when not on the PP which is inexcusable considering the only asset that team really has is their top 6

Columbus: IMO the hardest working team in the Western Conference, if not the NHL, but they dont have the talent to translate it to wins.

Call me crazy, but i think the Hawks might just be the only team in the West thats actually good right now. Note the distinction, the Hawks and Ducks are the only good teams in the West and they're just beating up on crummy Western teams. Its not like last year when Detroit, STL, NSH, and Van were all elite teams and could easily win the cup. I dont know if others think that takes away from the Hawks accomplishments or not (i dont think it does at all) but just something i've been thinking about a lot.

xX Hot Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 10:43 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
The West outside the Hawks has combined for 138 wins.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 11:05 PM
BronYrAur

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
The West outside the Hawks has combined for 138 wins.
Huh...? This must be inteded as sarcasm correct?

BronYrAur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 11:14 PM
Sarava

Yeah I personally think that the East is the stronger conference this year. No way to really prove it either way though.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 11:20 PM
xX Hot Fuss
HFBoards Sponsor

This isn't an East vs West thread. This is Superior Hawks vs Crappy West

Old
03-04-2013, 11:21 PM
BronYrAur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
Yeah I personally think that the East is the stronger conference this year. No way to really prove it either way though.
Well.....I was referring to the fact that both conferences are going to win the same # of games this year....

BronYrAur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 11:23 PM
EbonyRaptor

I think there's some luck and good timing involved in the Hawks' success, but there usually is for teams to play as well as the Hawks have played. The Hawks could easily have lost a bunch of those 1 goal games but they didn't and at some point the math proves there is more to the Hawks success than should be attributed to the other team being bad or unlucky or injured.

EbonyRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 11:34 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
I don't at all. Too many teams in the East can't keep the damn puck out of their own net.

Old
03-04-2013, 11:36 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Quote:
Originally Posted by BronYrAur View Post
Huh...? This must be inteded as sarcasm correct?
The point was that their's so many games, a team not as good in the Hawks should be able to beat them on a given night.

Old
03-04-2013, 11:54 PM
LandofLincoln

my theory

Anaheim has been more lucky than the Hawks to have that kind of record. The west is not as strong as it appeared to be before the season started.

As far as teams with injuries and there being quite a few with injuries. ok. Maybe more than normal, but that doesn't hold weight as a valid argument in my opinion.

The Hawks are a solid team, but every streak has a little luck. I just think Anaheim has been more lucky than the Hawks to have the record they have with many more holes on their roster. Anaheim is 15-3-3 I would have expected them to be 10-8-3 so they are the luckiest team in hockey even though they lost 2 in a row.

LandofLincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 12:34 AM
HjamSandwich

The streak can't be called luck anymore. We are well passed that.

HjamSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 12:56 AM
xX Hot Fuss
HFBoards Sponsor

LOL not saying anything about luck. Not saying anything about East vs West.

I'm simply suggesting that the Hawks are the only elite team in a conference FULL of struggling teams and that could be the major hidden factor to their success

Old
03-05-2013, 02:51 AM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

I think one of the biggest reason for the Hawks success is the lack of change and veteran players. Same coach, players, style, etc. Team that changed lots of aspects seemed to struggle in the beginning and are just now finding their stride, Was, Min, etc. The other struggling teams seem to be the young teams who are having trouble adjusting to the different schedule.

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 05:33 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

West is not weak, we are just deeper and better than the others. Right now the Hawks and Bs are the best and deepest teams in Hockey

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 07:27 AM
ClydeLee

Yes they are... but the Hawks could of just dried up their scoring for no real reason like San Jose.. They haven't though, but in games they can't they keep it tight enough and put it in eventually.

ClydeLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 08:47 AM
madgoat33

you could say the exact same thing about the east though. teams expected to contend like was, phi, nyr, tb, buf have struggled mightily; while teams like mon and tor, who were largely after thoughts, look like 2 of the best teams in the conference.

personally id take chi, ana, van, lak over any team in the east in a7 game series except maybe bos.

Last edited by madgoat33: 03-05-2013 at 08:53 AM.
madgoat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 09:08 AM
Illinihockey

The Kings are 8-2 in their last 10.

Illinihockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 09:10 AM
BobbyJet

The question does come to mind: will there be an asterisk beside this record simply because we played only within the Western Conference?

Q has been very smart to stick with set lines after some early success and that has given us an edge over most of the Conference but let’s not discount the improved play of many of our players, led by the goaltenders and Kane. A healthy Hossa has been a huge boost and the defense pairing of JO and Hammer has been solid. Rozy has fit in nicely after a shaky start and Leddy seems more comfortable now that his minutes are reduced.

But I think there is some merit in what the op says. Especially very early in the season, the ops teams looked bloody awful and even now, close to the half way mark, teams have had very little time to practice their systems. It is basically, learn as you go, with plenty of injuries to complicate matters. For that reason some teams will never reach their potential this year but for the most part the cream will rise to the top. Needless to say that games will be much tougher as the season progresses.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 10:03 AM
Recoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
The question does come to mind: will there be an asterisk beside this record simply because we played only within the Western Conference?

Q has been very smart to stick with set lines after some early success and that has given us an edge over most of the Conference but letís not discount the improved play of many of our players, led by the goaltenders and Kane. A healthy Hossa has been a huge boost and the defense pairing of JO and Hammer has been solid. Rozy has fit in nicely after a shaky start and Leddy seems more comfortable now that his minutes are reduced.

But I think there is some merit in what the op says. Especially very early in the season, the ops teams looked bloody awful and even now, close to the half way mark, teams have had very little time to practice their systems. It is basically, learn as you go, with plenty of injuries to complicate matters. For that reason some teams will never reach their potential this year but for the most part the cream will rise to the top. Needless to say that games will be much tougher as the season progresses.
I've watched a lot of other teams play this season, and it makes me appreciate how well the Hawks are playing. I don't remember watching one team and thinking "man, they look crisp." The Hawks are passing very well, and playing excellent puck possession. Other teams look sloppy in comparison.

I'm not sure if its that they are playing bad, or that the Hawks are just playing that good, but that's my opinion. It isn't "luck" as much as it is we are simply playing very well.

Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 10:42 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Who cares?

DisgruntledHawkFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 10:50 AM
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!

The Hawks have the streak because they are significantly better than the teams they have played. That doesn't mean the other teams are bad, just that the Hawks are better.

TorMenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 04:00 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

East teams wouldn't beat us too. Another thing I have to say... if we play those games again, we would have a regualtion loss in one of those 22 games

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 04:15 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
East teams wouldn't beat us too. Another thing I have to say... if we play those games again, we would have a regualtion loss in one of those 22 games
Looking back on it because of the streak it's become...it's still an absolute miracle they won the Calgary game

Old
03-05-2013, 04:19 PM
CPHawksFan
That's Hockey Baby!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Looking back on it because of the streak it's become...it's still an absolute miracle they won the Calgary game
Ray Emery says hi!

CPHawksFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 04:23 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPHawksFan View Post
Ray Emery says hi!
Even with his miraculous performance, they still gave up the go ahead goal with, what?, 40 seconds left?