HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Graf Skates-Help with skating?

Closed Thread

Old
02-27-2005, 11:28 PM
Sticks of Fury

vCash: 500
Graf Skates-Help with skating?

I am curious with Graf skates because the website claims that their skates will help with a better forward skating technique. I know Graf has a more aggressive pitch (forward) than others and maybe they have a softer ankle area. Just want to know if any Graf skate owners can verify this. Did you manage to get a better skating technique?

I am tempted to just buy a used pair online (705's)

Old
02-27-2005, 11:31 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Nothing but "god given talent" and effort will make you a better skater.

Old
02-28-2005, 12:03 AM
DaveyCrockett

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoAO
Nothing but "god given talent" and effort will make you a better skater.
Powerskating, hard work, fitness, practice, etc.... Unfortunately, you can't buy good skating in a box.

Old
02-28-2005, 01:26 AM
Sticks of Fury

Noted!

Thanks.

Old
02-28-2005, 05:08 AM
DJmastamind

My coach had a pair, said he couldn't use them at all. i'd stay away, imo, I've never liked Graf skates

Old
02-28-2005, 08:15 AM
ceber

Secondhand info here, but a buddy of mine picked up a pair recently. He said they were tough to get used to... said they basically forced you into a good knee bend or you'd be pitched forward and off balance. If you already have a good knee bend all the time, seems to me that you might not get much extra out of 'em. I hear they're nice. I'd like to try a pair, but I'm not going to part with the extra money.

Old
02-28-2005, 12:21 PM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceber
Secondhand info here, but a buddy of mine picked up a pair recently. He said they were tough to get used to... said they basically forced you into a good knee bend or you'd be pitched forward and off balance. If you already have a good knee bend all the time, seems to me that you might not get much extra out of 'em. I hear they're nice. I'd like to try a pair, but I'm not going to part with the extra money.
Not having enough knee bend is a problem for me at times. Hmm wonder if I should look into a pair?

Old
02-28-2005, 12:49 PM
CornKicker
Locked Out

vCash: 50
i switched from bauer vapors to 705's this year and i love them, they are stiffer and force you to skate lower to the ice (more knee bend). i haven't noticed a change in my speed but definetly in turning and switching direction.
hope this helps a bit,

Old
02-28-2005, 02:14 PM
Canadian Chris

vCash: 748
I got my G3's about a month ago. I LOVE them. They're awesome. Best skate I've ever worn period. The pitch on them is odd at first, and definitely gets you into a better skating position right away.

Like others have said though, you can't buy good skating in a box...lol...that being said, these at least help with your stance, which in turn leads to a better stride.

Old
02-28-2005, 03:14 PM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

Just wondering what you long time guys think(I am only a beginner at 28). I have been playing since October and am working on my skating 2- 3 times a week. I bought a pair of CCM prolites. They are the lower end ones about 100 bucks. Would it be worth it for me as I progress to look into maybe a pair of Grafs? I do currently have a problem at times keeping my knees bent enough or do you think that will come more with time? Or would a pair of Grafs help with this? Just curious.
thanks

Old
02-28-2005, 03:18 PM
CornKicker
Locked Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Galvin
Just wondering what you long time guys think(I am only a beginner at 28). I have been playing since October and am working on my skating 2- 3 times a week. I bought a pair of CCM prolites. They are the lower end ones about 100 bucks. Would it be worth it for me as I progress to look into maybe a pair of Grafs? I do currently have a problem at times keeping my knees bent enough or do you think that will come more with time? Or would a pair of Grafs help with this? Just curious.
thanks
The grafs will pretty much forces you to bend your knees pretty soon it will become habit. they are expensive but you can get used pairs for decent prices. in my opinion if you have the money its worth it.

Old
02-28-2005, 03:19 PM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker
T
T?

Old
02-28-2005, 03:20 PM
CornKicker
Locked Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Galvin
T?
my bad i hit enter accidentlly, i edited it

Old
02-28-2005, 03:28 PM
Canadian Chris

vCash: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker
The grafs will pretty much forces you to bend your knees pretty soon it will become habit. they are expensive but you can get used pairs for decent prices. in my opinion if you have the money its worth it.
At the same time however, you don't want to end up with too much of a skate for you. In otherwords, you want to still be able to flex the skate so you're not losing out in your power transfer. That being said, a used pair of grafs will be broken in (generally) and thus you'd likely be able to flex them no problem.

You just have to be careful as to not get a pair of skates that are too much of a skate for you if you're just a beginner.

Old
02-28-2005, 09:38 PM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Chris
At the same time however, you don't want to end up with too much of a skate for you. In otherwords, you want to still be able to flex the skate so you're not losing out in your power transfer. That being said, a used pair of grafs will be broken in (generally) and thus you'd likely be able to flex them no problem.

You just have to be careful as to not get a pair of skates that are too much of a skate for you if you're just a beginner.
Thanks for the info

Old
03-03-2005, 11:57 PM
Pensfan86

Send a message via AIM to Pensfan86
this can sound stupid as you want it to, but i swear wheni bought the bauer vapor 20s, my stride was better due to how disgustingly light they were...now im used to them, so im sure its no different then it ever was...but i swear, i coudl have outskated anyone when i first got those bad boys

Closed Thread