HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#01 | New Jersey Devils vs. New York Islanders | Jan 19 | L 1-2

Old
01-20-2013, 01:33 AM
BaileyToOkposo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islesfan22 View Post
I think Hamonic is going to be a good second pair defenseman. I don't think he is a top pair defenseman.
What makes him not a too pair dman but stall one? Bc rag fans are in love with him

BaileyToOkposo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 01:33 AM
Poulin 0n My St1ck

That game was for da birds

Poulin 0n My St1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 01:35 AM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post
Went to the game, my thoughts:

The Good
- Nabakov was a rock in net, doesn't seem to have lost a step at all from last season.
- Hamonic and MacDonald continue to be a sturdy defensive pairing. Both of them had great games, MacDonald made a lot of smart defensive plays and Hamonic is a man amongst boys on this team.
- Grabner looked pretty good, much better than he did last season but it's only one game.
- Matt Martin works his ass off all the time
- Brad Boyes looked OKAY, actually seemed to hustle a bit. Still don't expect much from him, but wasn't as invisible as I thought he'd be.

The Bad
- The Tavares line was COMPLETELY shut down, I don't think I've ever seen him shut down that bad before. First Islander game in a long time where I literally didn't remember seeing JT the entire game.
- What is with all these no name players in our line-up? I knew we were doomed from the moment I was questioning who this and that player was and where the hell they came from! Let's put it this way, it's only because they are playing for us that these random guys are even in the NHL right now and I hope that changes REAL fast. Bring up Cizikas, give Nino a look after his AHL stint...anything is better than these random no names we had playing tonight.
- I love Streit, but he continues to be a defensive liability in his own zone just like last season. He seems to overhandle the puck, tries to be too fancy and takes his god damn time bringing it up the ice. If he could just stick to a simple and quick kind of game, he'd be a much more solid player for us.
- Marty Reasoner is the worst Islander I've seen since we had Gervais, there is literally no reason why he should have a spot on our team. The same goes for Eric Boulton.

IMO it's going to be a looooooooooooooong season and I've thought that all off-season, but I think next season is definitely our year considering we'll have our future home ahead of us finally and our prospects should start blossoming into NHLers.
Best post game post of the night and you summed it up perfectly. Now I know people will say relax it is only one game but unfortunately we have seen this rodeo time and again and we know it ends with a lottery pick. This team looked awful on paper and on ice it was terrible. This is why I still won't waste any money on this team. I can only hope and pray that Wang does something as we edge closer to Barclays because if we are dumpster diving still then then just call us the Washington Generals because
We will be a joke on a grand scale.

Dutch Frost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 01:36 AM
BaileyToOkposo

Will you ppl shut up about the dp situation. Who cares if people choose to boo him that's there opinion. Welcome to NY. Your just making it a bigger thing, ppl actually booed jeter at one time. Im sick of you fans *****ing about some stupid ****

Old
01-20-2013, 01:41 AM
BaileyToOkposo

First game of the season and ppl are already crying. Obv we all have different opinions of who should be starting but give it a week or so instead of one game to start crying. Ppl complain that we don't know how to develop prospects and now there doing it the way your people wanted and you complain. One person I do believe should be up is nino and possible nelson later on but that's it is out of our prospects.

Old
01-20-2013, 02:15 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI91 View Post
DP was really good in that season. If he could have stopped over-handling the puck so much and stayed as a true butterfly tender he would have been a top 10 goalie easily IMO (injuries pending ofc).
He was never a butterfly goalie. Ever. He's a hybrid Hasek/epileptic with no systematic approach. He only reacts. If he had a system from the get go, he'd still have knee tissue.

So as he played, he needed speed and reaction time and discipline. He showed he has no discipline, his injuries resulting from his late reaction time hampered his speed.....so no, not a top ten. A short career if anything. And guess what? I was right ten years ago. He can't stay healthy. He has no speed left. Done.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 03:58 AM
JureEe
Go Kings Go!

Will Hickey play next game?

JureEe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 04:08 AM
PhysicalGraffiti
Hates Stevie Y

Booing DP?

Wow. Reminds me why I stayed away from these parts for periods of time. I would have been pissed if I was there.

Booing a player who is playing awful is one thing, but this dude has had injuries. He didn't want those injuries, and he isn't the one who made up the contract. He loves the Islanders and loves hockey, so he did what anyone else would do.

The fact that "fans" treated him like that is pathetic. He deserves better.

PhysicalGraffiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 04:36 AM
IslesNorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by JureEe View Post
Will Hickey play next game?
Hopefully. Finley didn't look up for it out there so he could take his place.

IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 05:30 AM
steveat

I think they are testing the new guys to see who they will take on the road with them. It makes sense. Why not use the guys now...at home while they have the chance. Then evaluate their abilities and see who gets to play, scratched or sent down. Why test them on the road? Especially a very extended trip? You don't want to have to send players back and forth..it costs money.

BTW...I liked Aucoin. I think most people have a problem with his size..I don't Not all small guys can't hack it in this league. He's like a Russ Courtnall to me

He's a stand up guy as far as character goes and that is leadership for the young guys...and I mean Tavares as well. He realized his strength and weakness:

“I was more of a one-dimensional player,” Aucoin said. “I was all offence, no defence. So it took me a few years after that to figure out what it was going to take to be at this level.”

Coach: Eakins - routinely features his hard work and smart play during film study with the rest of the team. Why would a coach do this if the guy sucks?

Why would he forfeit his all star selection so that another Marlies player could have a shot? THAT is leadership. We need people like this. Not to mention this year he's got one more point than Nino in 4 less games. Oh yeah..he sucks because he's small..I forgot.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013/...ith-the-leafs/

steveat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 05:33 AM
Brunomics

I figured most of the team would be rusty but Okposo was definiitely a momentum killer for the JT line tonight. His game was ridiculously ugly.

Auccoin while having some skills is just way to undersized for the NHL. He got pushed around all game.

Finley is like a big dumb animal out there. But Strait wasn't too bad. He seems like he would be a nice number 6 guy.

I'm not going to bash them too much since it's one game with a shortened camp and no preseason games. Hell the Devils looked pretty bad too and in most games I watched last night a good majority of the teams looked terrible. So it's kind of a wash.

Brunomics is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 05:48 AM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyToOkposo View Post
First game of the season and ppl are already crying. Obv we all have different opinions of who should be starting but give it a week or so instead of one game to start crying. Ppl complain that we don't know how to develop prospects and now there doing it the way your people wanted and you complain. One person I do believe should be up is nino and possible nelson later on but that's it is out of our prospects.
First game of the season, but this is not a good team. Finley is not an NHL dman at this point. The offense couldn't create anything. This could have been a blowout if Nabokov didn't play great.

Keith Aucoin is 34 years old and has 11 NHL goals. We picked him up on waivers three days ago. And yet he was on the powerplay and on the ice down a goal with 20 seconds to go. That is not the sign of a winning team.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 05:49 AM
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulin 0n My St1ck View Post
Some thoughts:

-booing Rick was classless. It's one thing if the guy stinks it up in net - then he deserves it - but it's not his fault he was drafted by the Isles and put his John Hancock on the dotted line. Yes, he's a millionaire professional athlete who could've prevented some injuries by playing a more conservative style, but I still feel for the guy. At least let the guy start with a clean slate this season before you boo him. What counts is he still tries to stay involved in the community on LI, and is a genuinely good guy. And for that, I respect him.

Anyway...
-Okposo is a disgrace. Should've never gotten his name on the back of one of my jerseys. Does he really need a benching to snap out of his pathetic play? Don't give me this **** about him not playing during the lockout. It's Groundhog's Day again with this guy. He's not physical, he makes the puck look like a Mexican jumping bean, he always tries to be cute with his predictable inside out move instead of DRIVING to the net, and he's always chasing the puck instead of THINKING AHEAD of the play. He's so ****ing stupid and it's frustrating to watch. We all saw the same potential in him 3 years ago - what happened? For all of you who rag on Bailey, at least the guy has some assets to his game (PK) - he just needs to be consistent. I have more faith in him than I do in Okposo at this point. Once the Isles are officially out of the playoffs, Kyle will go on a tear, mark my word. I was happy about his contract when he signed, but it's looking horrible now.

-Thought JT was better defensively than offensively tonight. Only so much you can do single-handedly when one linemate is a dip**** and the other just didn't play that well tonight.

-I like StrAit

-StrEit should get dealt at the deadline so we can get our second-rounder back

-What a joke Finley was in the lineup tonight

-Scratch that POS Reasoner. We need heart and soul in the lineup. Play Cizikas.

-Scratch Boulton (needless to say)

-I'd like to see Ullstrom on the second line. Great wrist shot. Should've buried a slam dunk on the doorstep.

-The line change that led to that first goal...wow...

-Sick shot by Hammer beating Brodeur glove side

-And Nabby was amazing in goal. I'd love to sign him for another year. He's the Russian Roloson.

-Hate to say it, but we could use Viz in this lineup

Sorry, had to vent a little. Typical crapshow at the barn for a packed house on opening night. I'm a realist about our bad lineup, but at least win the one and only game where the fans are ready to go into a frenzy at the drop of a hat. Give us something. Maybe next year.

EDIT: Also, if you left your debris in the parking lot, and there was a lot of it, broken bottles and all, you're a ****.
Until Bailey or Joensuu are healthy who do we replace both Reasoner and Boulton with? Cizikas can play one spot but what about the other?

MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 06:00 AM
Nyifan12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
He has been booed the last few years on opening night
In fact one year he mysteriously did not participate in pre-game introductions although he was on the roster.

Nyifan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 06:36 AM
Brunomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
First game of the season, but this is not a good team. Finley is not an NHL dman at this point. The offense couldn't create anything. This could have been a blowout if Nabokov didn't play great.

Keith Aucoin is 34 years old and has 11 NHL goals. We picked him up on waivers three days ago. And yet he was on the powerplay and on the ice down a goal with 20 seconds to go. That is not the sign of a winning team.
If they were going to do this they might as well have given Strome a game or two in the NHL just for experience. He probably would've had a better game than Aucoin.

Old
01-20-2013, 06:58 AM
Pnut

I see this a lot here, let me say that you can't have everything perfect. Let me explain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
If they were going to do this they might as well have given Strome a game or two in the NHL just for experience. He probably would've had a better game than Aucoin.
People (Im not saying you Bruno) want our kids to stay in the AHL for a while, great, lets do that.

Then we do that and people get angry because we replace those not ready for prime time kids with has-beens, haven't been given a shot-ers and no names because FACE IT that's the position we are in. People still complain anyways.

Heck its ok to complain, people need to complain (believe me I hate DP because he is selfish). But complain to the "real enemy" (no not the Pope in this case), the real enemy was Milbury. Heck even Wang for being buddy buddy with DP. Booing DP and/or being angry that after they don't rush kids, all we have is left-overs is not the most logical (and reality based) opinion.

Pnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 07:06 AM
Brunomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnut View Post
I see this a lot here, let me say that you can't have everything perfect. Let me explain

People (Im not saying you Bruno) want our kids to stay in the AHL for a while, great, lets do that.

Then we do that and people get angry because we replace those not ready for prime time kids with has-beens, haven't been given a shot-ers and no names because FACE IT that's the position we are in. People still complain anyways.

Heck its ok to complain, people need to complain (believe me I hate DP because he is selfish). But complain to the "real enemy" (no not the Pope in this case), the real enemy was Milbury. Heck even Wang for being buddy buddy with DP. Booing DP and/or being angry that after they don't rush kids, all we have is left-overs is not the most logical (and reality based) opinion.
I'm not saying keep him up for the season but if Aucoin is your best pp center option you might a well giveStrome a taste.

Old
01-20-2013, 07:09 AM
Nyifan12

Quote:
I'm not saying keep him up for the season but if Aucoin is your best pp center option you might a well giveStrome a taste.
Not necessarily...... Robitalle, Hamilton, Miller and Ronning worked well in this scenario in their day.

Nyifan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 07:37 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
Is okposo going to be the 2012-13 scapegoat or something
Yes. Because Nabby will be getting the bulk of the starts, pissy fans will need someone other then DiPietro to focus on.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 07:39 AM
CREW99AW

I hate seeing a strong start from Nabokov wasted.

I can't recall the last game that Tavares was such a nonfactor, not even creating strong scoring chances.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 07:40 AM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islesfan22 View Post
I think Hamonic is going to be a good second pair defenseman. I don't think he is a top pair defenseman.
Well, he already was a good second pairing last year... I don't get why people on here don't think he could be a top pairing, it's kind of ridiculous. He's the second best player on the team not counting Nabokov. Logging 25 minutes, playing against the other top line isn't a number 1 pairing? Hamonic should have never been a -1 last night, awful line change.

Last edited by 19NYSports91: 01-20-2013 at 07:45 AM.
19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 07:46 AM
Stercrazy

Quote:
I don't hate that idea. This year rookies only get 5 games in the NHL. Give him one game in the booth. 1 on the bench and 3 games on the ice. Then send him back down no matter what. It's a short year so before he knows it training camp will be here.

Stercrazy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 08:06 AM
WangMustGo
NYI

-Our bottom 6 forwards look terrible, and will be a huge downfall for this team.
-Okposo looks very rusty and slow
-Why didn't Martinek start?
-I hope we never see Finley or Boulton on the ice again.
-I would like to see Ullstrom with JT or even Bailey when he comes back.

WangMustGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 08:13 AM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
I wasn't at the game (probably wont go back for a long time) but I would guess that most of the people that booed him felt the same way. It wasn't DiPietro getting booed, it was management.

They don't announce Ownership and front office at the game, so Rick DiPietro is symbolic of so many things that are wrong with the organization, and the fans used the opportunity to voice it's opinion. I have to believe Rick understands this. I'm surprised a lot of people here don't.
agreed

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 08:15 AM
Hyphistos

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I hate seeing a strong start from Nabokov wasted.

I can't recall the last game that Tavares was such a nonfactor, not even creating strong scoring chances.
Yeah, it's really frightening how the team stands and falls with Tavares. If he has a bad day or is neutralized by the opposing team as yesterday, we are pretty much doomed. No one else can step up that much to compensate that.

The only positive surprise for me was Grabs. I'm a fan of him obviously, but honestly I didn't expect much. Sure there were some bad passes and he has some general flaws, but overall you can really see that he tries to improve his game to become more than the "one trick pony" he is often called. Maybe the trip back to Austria wasn't the worst thing for him in that regard. I have to admit that I haven't seen an awful lot of him in the EBEL (Austrian league), but what I have seen of him left the (maybe wrong) impression that because of his standing as an NHL player in his team (and also because of the weaker opponents of course), he was much more responsible in different kind of areas, so maybe he can transform that a little bit to the NHL level. At least he seems to try that.

What I noticed in general and which seems to be confirmed by this numbers here http://www.nhl.com/ice/boxscore.htm?id=2012020006 is that this year the coaches seem to rely even more on the team's "veterans". Not only that for example in relation the second line gets very much ice time compared to the third, but also the special units consist almost only of players who have been here already for a while. This leads to the fact that for example Grabner got over 19 minutes ice time, something that I really can't remember last year, although he then played of course often on the third line, but still.

Hyphistos is offline   Reply With Quote