HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#01 | New Jersey Devils vs. New York Islanders | Jan 19 | L 1-2

Old
01-20-2013, 09:18 AM
19NYSports91

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyphistos View Post
Yeah, it's really frightening how the team stands and falls with Tavares. If he has a bad day or is neutralized by the opposing team as yesterday, we are pretty much doomed. No one else can step up that much to compensate that.

The only positive surprise for me was Grabs. I'm a fan of him obviously, but honestly I didn't expect much. Sure there were some bad passes and he has some general flaws, but overall you can really see that he tries to improve his game to become more than the "one trick pony" he is often called. Maybe the trip back to Austria wasn't the worst thing for him in that regard. I have to admit that I haven't seen an awful lot of him in the EBEL (Austrian league), but what I have seen of him left the (maybe wrong) impression that because of his standing as an NHL player in his team (and also because of the weaker opponents of course), he was much more responsible in different kind of areas, so maybe he can transform that a little bit to the NHL level. At least he seems to try that.

What I noticed in general and which seems to be confirmed by this numbers here http://www.nhl.com/ice/boxscore.htm?id=2012020006 is that this year the coaches seem to rely even more on the team's "veterans". Not only that for example in relation the second line gets very much ice time compared to the third, but also the special units consist almost only of players who have been here already for a while. This leads to the fact that for example Grabner got over 19 minutes ice time, something that I really can't remember last year, although he then played of course often on the third line, but still.
Also, if Tavares gets shut down you know Moulson is pretty much useless then.

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:26 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyphistos View Post
Yeah, it's really frightening how the team stands and falls with Tavares. If he has a bad day or is neutralized by the opposing team as yesterday, we are pretty much doomed. No one else can step up that much to compensate that.

The only positive surprise for me was Grabs. I'm a fan of him obviously, but honestly I didn't expect much. Sure there were some bad passes and he has some general flaws, but overall you can really see that he tries to improve his game to become more than the "one trick pony" he is often called. Maybe the trip back to Austria wasn't the worst thing for him in that regard. I have to admit that I haven't seen an awful lot of him in the EBEL (Austrian league), but what I have seen of him left the (maybe wrong) impression that because of his standing as an NHL player in his team (and also because of the weaker opponents of course), he was much more responsible in different kind of areas, so maybe he can transform that a little bit to the NHL level. At least he seems to try that.

What I noticed in general and which seems to be confirmed by this numbers here http://www.nhl.com/ice/boxscore.htm?id=2012020006 is that this year the coaches seem to rely even more on the team's "veterans". Not only that for example in relation the second line gets very much ice time compared to the third, but also the special units consist almost only of players who have been here already for a while. This leads to the fact that for example Grabner got over 19 minutes ice time, something that I really can't remember last year, although he then played of course often on the third line, but still.
Cappy said early in camp, that with a 5 day training camp and 48 game season, they didn't have time to experiment.

The fact that they didn't invite their top Bridgeport youngsters, Nino/Nelson/Donovan and the early cuts for Strome/Reinhart, back up your point about relying on veterans.

I loved the chances that Grabner and Boyes created, but hope we're not in for a season of frustration because of their lack of finish.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:01 AM
wingnutks

I think grabner was the most effective forward for the isles tonight
Okposo needs a skating coach, period.

wingnutks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:01 AM
gramatanboy

The Good-Nabokov, Ullstrom, Grabner, Hamonic, A. McDonald, Aucoin
The Bad-Pretty much everyone else!!

Hopefully Okposo will work out with JT and Matty M but I am not sure that he is the perfect fit for those two and might slow them down.

Finley is not an NHL defenseman and should be back in the AHL.

Let's hope that we see Hickey or Martinek in on Monday and if Czikas is on the roster, he should be playing instead of Reasoner who is totally useless.

Hopefully, Monday will be a vast improvement over yesterday's game. Tampa Bay is more of a scoring threat than the Devils but is more loose defensively and maybe that will play into the Islanders hands.

It's good that hockey is back !!

gramatanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:07 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramatanboy View Post

Hopefully Okposo will work out with JT and Matty M but I am not sure that he is the perfect fit for those two and might slow them down.

!!

The best stretch of Tavares 2011-2012 season, was the month of Jan. He had 22 pts with Moulson and Okposo on his wings.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:11 AM
Islanders1932

I was pissed at the booing of Rick DiPietro, just because he has had injuries and and management sucks is no reason to take it out on him. This guy is a human being and has feelings too. He bleeds orange and blue. I thought it was pathetic and an extremely classless move. Also, do people think about what can happen from that. If Charles Wang doesn't buy him out, we could be stuck with him and he could just not retire just to stick it to the fans for being *******s to him.

Islanders1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:13 AM
19NYSports91

I understand Okposo had a really bad game, but it's one game. What did Moulson do last night? I hear nothing about him, pretty interesting.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:16 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19NYSports91 View Post
I understand Okposo had a really bad game, but it's one game. What did Moulson do last night? I hear nothing about him, pretty interesting.

The whole first line was pretty much invisible.

The 2nd and 3rd lines created more scoring chances, although it was frustrating to see them fumble them away.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:17 AM
InformTheMasses

Quote:

Moulson is not a whipping boy. Thank goodness Grabner played as well as he did, otherwise he would be run out on a rail too.

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:42 AM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Also,

While I do realize our team is probably the worst in the East, we're not the worst until the standings truly dictate so. So let's keep our heads held high.

There are positives:
Grabner looked great. Almost scored by himself in front of Broduer.
Boyes looked really good, and pulled off a scorers move in the second. Let's see how this works out.
Keith Aucoin is that mix of grit that we need. Plays a KISS game.
Hamonic and Macdonald on the back end.

From a few of my friends, the Rangers came out last night and played one of their worst game in years. They looked horrible.

We didn't. We just didn't win. So let's not jump off the ledge. Get it back Monday and I'm sure we'll all forgive.

Plus, Nabokov looks real good. Real freaking good. Get that goaltending every night and you're not finishing last, just by default.

THAT SAID,
We don't win more games in this division, we'll never make the playoffs. So hopefully this doesn't become a trend. Philadelphia looked absolutely abysmal yesterday. So a bunch of fans are all in the same spot. Let's all see how this works out, but going on a 5 game road trip after Tampa has me shaking in my boots. This could really end before it begins. Have to hope it doesn't.

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:52 AM
Fan101

Except for the absence of Parise, this was the same NJD team that went to the 6th game ofthe finals as opposed to an Islander squad of four new forwards (Boyes, Boulton, Aucoin, McDonald) and three new D (Finley, Strait, Carkner) and a group of returning players who were out of the playoff race in December 2011.

All things considered they played well but when they got Hamonic's tying goal,the Devils reverted to playoff form and got the next goal 105 seconds later. That's the type of play and coaching the Islanders need which NJD has.

Considering this was the first time they played as a team since last April with 7 new players, they had a good start. However the team can go in either direction.

Fan101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:54 AM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan101 View Post
Except for the absence of Parise, this was the same NJD team that went to the 6th game ofthe finals as opposed to an Islander squad of four new forwards (Boyes, Boulton, Aucoin, McDonald) and three new D (Finley, Strait, Carkner) and a group of returning players who were out of the playoff race in December 2011.

All things considered they played well but when they got Hamonic's tying goal,the Devils reverted to playoff form and got the next goal 105 seconds later. That's the type of play and coaching the Islanders need which NJD has.

Considering this was the first time they played as a team since last April with 7 new players, they had a good start. However the team can go in either direction.
Henrique didn't play

Old
01-20-2013, 11:07 AM
stranger34

Okposo is not a first liner. He is a good 2nd or 3rd line player.

That 1st line wing spot needs to go to someone like Boyes (A contract year talent) or Bailey (carry the puck in / playmaking wing)

stranger34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 11:11 AM
Islanderfan17

I forgot to mention in The Bad part of my summary that Okposo looked like garbage. I don't know what it is about him but he seems to have an attitude or motivation problem the past two seasons because he comes into the season looking like **** and like he doesn't have a care in the world. I say if he doesn't rebound next game, bench his ass and send him the same message we sent him last season. I love KO but his effort and his game shape really pissed me off last night. Looks like he has been swallowing cigarettes and playing video games the whole lockout.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 11:14 AM
Tavaresfan91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post
I forgot to mention in The Bad part of my summary that Okposo looked like garbage. I don't know what it is about him but he seems to have an attitude or motivation problem the past two seasons because he comes into the season looking like **** and like he doesn't have a care in the world. I say if he doesn't rebound next game, bench his ass and send him the same message we sent him last season. I love KO but his effort and his game shape really pissed me off last night. Looks like he has been swallowing cigarettes and playing video games the whole lockout.
He looked like an unmotivated slug who doesn't wanna play. Almost like a kid whose dads making him try hockey but he doesn't really wanna play.

Tavaresfan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 11:17 AM
Hip Of Rick

Positives:
Nabokov
Grabner
Only 47 games to go!

Negatives:
90% of the roster

Hip Of Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 11:17 AM
StumpNYI

Tavares' head just wasn't in the game last night

StumpNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 11:18 AM
Tavaresfan91

Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpNYI View Post
Tavares' head just wasn't in the game last night

Joke of the day

Tavaresfan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 11:26 AM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Of Rick View Post
Positives:
Nabokov
Grabner
Only 47 games to go!

Negatives:
90% of the roster
How do you have Grabner as a positive and not Hamonic, best player last night.(not counting Nabokov)

Old
01-20-2013, 11:39 AM
TeamKidd

It's pretty simple. This is a team of has beens, never was's, and might be's...along with tavares, streit, and nabakov. hard to beat the devils with that team. Hard to beat really anyone. Combine that with the fact that this team has literally been thrown together with waiver wire fodder in the last week....they looked disjointed, slow, and unfamiliar with each other....which...they are.

I dont think it will be very long before okposo is off the first line and boyes is on it. When bailey comes back, he might end up on the bench.

I, for the life of me, cannot figure out why matt martin isnt on the 3rd line. or why boulton is on the team at all. reasoner too. they should have cut him. it's one thing to play conservative with the kids...but seriously. cizikas is a much much much better option.

Moulson-Tavares-Boyes
Grabner-Neilsen-Okposo
Martin-Cizikas-Ulstrom
McDonald-Aucoin-Reasoner

MacDonald-Hamonic
Strait-Streit
Martinek-Carkner

TeamKidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 11:40 AM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

I wish we could play again and get right at it.

I am so sick of losing to the ****ing boring Devils. Watching the Devils is like watching paint dry. Why can't we beat this ****ing team!!!!

God it's so infuriating. I am sick of them!

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 11:41 AM
Hip Of Rick

Quote:
How do you have Grabner as a positive and not Hamonic, best player last night.(not counting Nabokov)
Forgot about Hamonic he should be in the positives.

The Isles had arguably 8 guys that should not have been on NHL ice last night playing. We are in for a long season despite it only being 48 games. Snow did a horrible job assembling this roster, he is pathetic excuse for a GM. No words describe how bad Wang is. I hope someone buys this team when they move.

Aucoin, Boulton, Boyes, Finley, McDonald, Reasonor, Strait ( I liked him), DP. All of these guys would find it very difficult to crack any teams opening night roster. Disgusting job by Snow/Wang putting this crap on the ice

Hip Of Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 11:43 AM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stranger34 View Post
Okposo is not a first liner. He is a good 2nd or 3rd line player.

That 1st line wing spot needs to go to someone like Boyes (A contract year talent) or Bailey (carry the puck in / playmaking wing)
I think Bailey is the closest thing this team has to PA Parenteau right now. Bailey has good vision and passing ability. I'd love to see him get a shot to play with Tavares.

But like I said in this thread last night, it'll take 12 weeks for Capuano to make any changes to the lines. particularly the 1st line.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 11:46 AM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
I think Bailey is the closest thing this team has to PA Parenteau right now. Bailey has good vision and passing ability. I'd love to see him get a shot to play with Tavares.

But like I said in this thread last night, it'll take 12 weeks for Capuano to make any changes to the lines. particularly the 1st line.
If Bailey was a righty, no question about it. I don't think he has played right wing, has he?

Old
01-20-2013, 11:48 AM
jdr016

I didn't see the game. But, reading through these posts. I have two things to say...

1- It's one game

2- Seth Jones sure would look good on our blueline for the next 15 years!

jdr016 is offline   Reply With Quote