HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 1 | Detroit Red Wings @ St. Louis Blues | 8:00 PM EST | FSD (HD)

Closed Thread

Old
01-20-2013, 01:27 PM
octopi

vCash: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by reavesthemaniac View Post
Blues fan coming in peacefully.

I think the Wings struggled defensively, thats for sure. But it's only one game. Don't start thinking about the top-5 picks or anything like that. I mean yea, you guys lost to the Blues by 6, but the Blues were the top team in the central last year. The wings are gonna beat teams like CBJ, CAL, COL, etc. I wouldnt get too down.

Also, where were Zetterberg and Datsyuk?I hear all the complaints about defense, but if the offense only gets 14 shots, and Z and D are nowhere to be seen, than this team is gonna struggle.
It was one horrible game through and through.I'm sure we'll see them as the season goes along.

Old
01-20-2013, 01:33 PM
OurHometown
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Only first game of Red Wings' season, but it was pretty terrible

By Matt Saler

Itís only the first game of the Detroit Red Wings season, but it was pretty terrible. Itís far too early to panic, but color me concerned. In a season this short, they canít afford not to show up every night. They need to move onward and upward from this or it will be a long season despite being a short one.

READ MORE:
http://www.ourhometown.ca/windsor/sports/MS0007.php

Old
01-20-2013, 01:40 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Use of It/But twice in two sentences is offputting

Old
01-20-2013, 01:47 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post

You're not really that out of touch, are you?
I should be more like you and pretend I understand what Pavel Datsyuk wants from life.
Then, when others suggest there might be other options, I should just accuse them of being "out of touch."

Nobody knows what Pavel will do. Nobody knows if he wants to stay in the NHL or return to the KHL. Nobody knows what he'd do if he became a UFA.

He certainly wasn't easy to sign as an RFA.

12 months from now, when negotiations with the Wings start, maybe the Wings suck and there's turmoil in the dressing room.

Maybe he'd go play with Ovie or Kovalchuk.

You just keep on pretending you know. That's the way the way to go.

Old
01-20-2013, 01:49 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Nah, ain't happening.
Ah, Fugu with her crystal ball.

Old
01-20-2013, 01:50 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroedingers Cat View Post
I'm actually glad we're having a season; it lets a take a year off of all our contracts and puts us a year closer to a true rebuild. Imagine if they had tolled the contracts forward a year; we'd be stuck with this crap until 2015.

I can't believe Holland actually expected Tootoo\Samuelsson\Bertuzzi would be better than Nyquist, or even Tatar.

I've said it before, I'll say it again; the purse strings have been tightened for now until Mr. I gets a world series. That's why we keep trying out 900k undrafted Euros and picking over other teams garbage. That's the only explanation for the mind-boggling state of this roster.
I thought there was something to this...but going hard after Suter and Parise sort of dashes the idea...
Unless they just went hard enough for appearances

Old
01-20-2013, 01:53 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
They just dominated without even using the highest gear.

This is the team to beat at West.

And it obvious that we are in deep trouble because of lots of changes and new faces in new roles and not time to adjust for them thanks to lockout and the short trainging camp.

Babcock has a lot to think about. First of all, he should split Z and Dats immediately. Both had 0 shots together, so that's about that "chemistry". Datsyuk is just huge waste of a total line as a winger, because at by himself he could create a dangerous line with two pylons.

And why did Z took those faceoffs? he was 14% at the circle. Datsyuk took the PP faceoffs and was 83%. And he was best FO man at KHL. It should be a no-brainer that Datsyuk takes a faceoff always nevertheless the other players are on the ice.

Dats should also be the main man to have the puck and have his own line. When Z goes with Brunner, Pavel is almost useless there.

Mistakes in lines, but fixable mistakes.
Unfortunately, it seems like the eurotwin chemistry is done -- but it could come back with time. Both D and Z are maestros. They need the puck. It might be overkill to have D-Z and another puck-carrier on the same line.

I'd like to see a Bertuzzi-Datsyuk-Tootoo line for a couple weeks.

Old
01-20-2013, 01:55 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marky9er View Post
When Mursak plays in the NHL, Mursak gets hurt....and that hasn't changed. He won't be around much longer, he can't take the physical game at this level....especially on this team.

St Louis imposed their will from the outset and Detroit had no answers. The Captain got sat on his arse, and there was no reply. Kinda sad, this team is going to be physically dominated on most nights. Nyquist or Tatar are not going to change that either. They would just be getting in line for the abuse.
I give Mursak credit.
He saw Backes coming and took the hit to make the play. I think he got a bad pass from a defenseman and was trying not to turn it over at center ice.

Also important to note that not every team is as physical as the Blues.

Old
01-20-2013, 01:59 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
Weber was actually 2nd rounder, #49 or something like that. But I agree with your point.
Tarasenko drafted 16th overall.
Last year, we traded 19thoverall for Quincey.

Old
01-20-2013, 02:07 PM
Hckytwn
FIRE HOLLAND NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroedingers Cat View Post
I've said it before, I'll say it again; the purse strings have been tightened for now until Mr. I gets a world series. That's why we keep trying out 900k undrafted Euros and picking over other teams garbage. That's the only explanation for the mind-boggling state of this roster.
No, there's another explanation: Holland, ever fearful of the cap and lockout, was unwilling to compete in the FA market. Illitch didn't seem to have any trouble signing off on a huge contract to Suter, which would've stressed his pocketbook more than our capspace with all those front-loaded bonuses. It was Holland who didn't want to go higher, saying that those deals handcuff teams for years.

Holland has always talked about the cap and making cap-friendly deals. That's fine, I guess, however, that has also meant he can't compete for UFAs. He drastically underestimated how the lockout would effect the cap, not forseeing the NHL caving on a $64.5M 2013-14 cap, 2 buyouts/team and the ability to trade salary (i.e. capspace). He thought teams would get burned by those big contracts... but in reality, he's going to get burned for being too conservative.

Last edited by Hckytwn: 01-20-2013 at 04:52 PM.
Old
01-20-2013, 02:18 PM
loojay

Just watched this steaming pile of garbage. The negatives were thoroughly covered so I'll just post some positives:

Ericsson had a very solid game.
Franzen was physically engaged.
For a rookie, Smith was fine.
Tootoo did what he was supposed to: lots of hits with speed and worked the puck back to the points.
Brunner was okay for his first game.

That's all I got. The rest was junk.

Old
01-20-2013, 02:21 PM
HTT3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Yes, of course, there are explanations. They didn't offer Suter or Parise the most money. That's the reality.
The reality I remember is different. Parise wanted to play in Minnesota and Suter was teeter-tottering with the idea of possibly playing for Detroit until Parise called and begged him to play with him in Minny.

It wasn't all about money.

Even if Holland scored both Parise and Suter, they would have still sucked yesterday. The team wasn't ready.

Old
01-20-2013, 02:23 PM
Bink

Ted Kulfan @tkulfan
Ericsson hurt his shoulder going into board after stepping on puck says he is questionable for tomorrow
15 minutes ago

Woof.

Old
01-20-2013, 02:24 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bink View Post
Ted Kulfan @tkulfan
Ericsson hurt his shoulder going into board after stepping on puck says he is questionable for tomorrow
15 minutes ago

Woof.
Lilja will be signed in 3.............2..........................1........ ........

Old
01-20-2013, 02:33 PM
Henkka

vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
Lilja will be signed in 3.............2..........................1........ ........
Or Lashoff brought up, if Kindl is not ready.

Old
01-20-2013, 02:35 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
Or Lashoff brought up, if Kindl is not ready.
I am OK with that.

Old
01-20-2013, 02:42 PM
Henkka

vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Townsend Beasley View Post
Even if tatar and nyquist dont put us over the top in a game like this. They need to be getting nhl experience. See how the best teams in the nhl play firsthand
If the season is same kind of blowout like yesterday, they will get their chance. At least after the trade deadline. Then we are loading bodies out.

Old
01-20-2013, 02:45 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

You really couldnt pick a better year to have a miserable season.

Hockey gods are still giving the Wings their love.

Old
01-20-2013, 02:46 PM
DatsyukToZetterberg
Alligator!

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTT3 View Post
The reality I remember is different. Parise wanted to play in Minnesota and Suter was teeter-tottering with the idea of possibly playing for Detroit until Parise called and begged him to play with him in Minny.

Even if Holland scored both Parise and Suter, they would have still sucked yesterday. The team wasn't ready.
I mean didn't we offer Suter 90M over 13 years? That was his top offer until Minny upped there offer to 98M over 13 years which he signed. We were right there with everyone spending wise it's just you have to be a smart spender in a Salary Cap world otherwise you get burned eventually. (Chicago of the past, Boston, and Minny next season)

Old
01-20-2013, 03:03 PM
HTT3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukToZetterberg View Post
I mean didn't we offer Suter 90M over 13 years? That was his top offer until Minny upped there offer to 98M over 13 years which he signed. We were right there with everyone spending wise it's just you have to be a smart spender in a Salary Cap world otherwise you get burned eventually. (Chicago of the past, Boston, and Minny next season)
I remember Minny gave Suter a better offer, but the deciding factor that I read was Parise called Suter.

Suter never made a counter offer to Holland... he just signed with Minny soon after Parise talked to him. I'm not sure a 13 year deal for $98 million was a wise decision.... didn't we learn anything from the Franzen contract?

Old
01-20-2013, 04:50 PM
Hckytwn
FIRE HOLLAND NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTT3 View Post

I think the bigger question is: why were we outbid?

Maybe you're right, maybe not. All I know is Minny laid down more cash than us; that's a fact.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:01 AM
14ari13

I did not watch the game, lucky me, but from the highlights I do not get how the Blues score 4 goals on breakaways.

Old
01-21-2013, 08:03 AM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hckytwn View Post

Maybe you're right, maybe not. All I know is Minny laid down more cash than us; that's a fact.
From what I remember, Minny laid down substantially more cash, going north of $100m over the length of the deal. Suter asked them to lower it, while upping Parise's - probably to take some of the focus off himself as being the big signing.

I think there is always going to be a team desperate enough to put a stupid high offer on the table. I don't think any responsible team can go operate with a continued philosophy of just one-upping the most dumbest offer. At the same time, I think the Wings could strike a better balance between spending on some top6 level talents and filling in with kids. Our farm system is actually producing, and could probably fill in those gaps in the lower six that we're blowing $1-3m per Bert/Eaves/Cleary to fill now.

01-21-2013, 10:11 AM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hckytwn View Post

Did Detroit even know they were being outbid?

Old
01-21-2013, 10:12 AM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
From what I remember, Minny laid down substantially more cash, going north of $100m over the length of the deal. Suter asked them to lower it, while upping Parise's - probably to take some of the focus off himself as being the big signing.

I think there is always going to be a team desperate enough to put a stupid high offer on the table. I don't think any responsible team can go operate with a continued philosophy of just one-upping the most dumbest offer. At the same time, I think the Wings could strike a better balance between spending on some top6 level talents and filling in with kids. Our farm system is actually producing, and could probably fill in those gaps in the lower six that we're blowing $1-3m per Bert/Eaves/Cleary to fill now.
I still can't understand why people are so confused by the Suter/Parise thing.

Parise was the key to the whole thing - Suter was going to go wherever Parise went and Parise wanted to go to Minnesota.

All the other stuff, the offers from Philly and whatnot, getting the Wings involved on Suter, etc - that was all bluster designed to drive the total price up on both guys. They played everybody perfectly and got exactly what they wanted.

SUTER WAS NEVER COMING TO DETROIT.

Everybody needs to stop going round and round with this delusion that there was some dollar amount out there that could have brought him in. It's unhealthy.

There. Was. No. Amount. Of. Money. That. Would. Have. Gotten. Suter.

Closed Thread