HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

B. Schenn/ Couturier

Old
01-28-2013, 02:34 PM
PrinceGiroux
Rookie User

vCash: 500
B. Schenn/ Couturier

Okay guys, I understand these guys are still young but, will brayden schenn and/ or sean couturier turn into the players we all want/expect them to be. I myself am not so sure. Are my worries warranted?

PrinceGiroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:39 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Carter and Richards didn't look to great in their second season

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:41 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceGiroux View Post
Okay guys, I understand these guys are still young but, will brayden schenn and/ or sean couturier turn into the players we all want/expect them to be. I myself am not so sure. Are my worries warranted?
Sophomore slump. Happens to a lot of players. Mike Richards had 10 and 32 pts in his 2nd year, followed by 28 goals 75 pts in his third. Jeff Carter 14 goals and 37 pts, followed with 29 gls 53 pts. Claude Giroux 16 goals, 47 pts, then 25 goals 76 pts. Will get a better idea of the players they will be become by the end of next year.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:41 PM
jhjhjhjhjhjh*

Sean Couturier has played great in the Flyers game I've seen this season, not sure why you'd be worried about him. 27 points in your first NHL season is awesome especially while being a very good on the PK. Idiotic thread.

jhjhjhjhjhjh* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:42 PM
StevensCakeBakerBacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceGiroux View Post

"Maybe..."

StevensCakeBakerBacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:45 PM
jhjhjhjhjhjh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevensCakeBakerBacker View Post

"Maybe..."
Pineapples agrees, Pineapples also speaks in 3rd person.

jhjhjhjhjhjh* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:47 PM
Prongo
Beer

Brayden Schenn has played 65 games in the NHL. He is just 21 years old, with worlds of potential. The Flyers really need to decide if he is going to be a center or winger. I believe he has it still in him to be a 70 point player, especially if he is playing center. We all have to remember he is still only 21 years old. He isn't crosby, he needs time to adjust to the NHL game, which I think he is doing nicely.

Couts I think still has the potential to be a 80 point center. He can be a 35 goal scored I believe at his max potential, along the lines of Jeff Carter points. His skating is improved and he still needs to work on it some. But again, the kid is 19 years old. We can't throw these kids under the bus, they still have plenty of time to develop. Couts was projected to be the #1 overall for a while for a reason, he is a amazing hockey player. His defense is also incredible, which could be said about Schenn too.

Just stay the course with these kids, they will come through. Other teams and scouts seem to really like what they see from them, I have no doubts yet whether they will become big time players.

Now if Brayden Schenn doesn't produce better stats by the beginning of 2015 season, I will say I would be extremely concerned with his development.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 04:03 PM
Cmoneyflyguy

remember Couts wasn't supposed to even make the team last year? What is he, 19?
And Schenn is not much older.
WAAAAAAAY to early to freak

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 04:08 PM
PayItForward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoneyflyguy View Post
Couturier is 20 and B. Schenn is 21.

PayItForward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 04:16 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

The young guns went wild last year.

Anything else is gonna look less impressive....and the team is obviously out of sync as is.

Not worried at all.

hckyplayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 04:38 PM
Mota

I am a little skeptical of B. Schenn. After watching him so far, I just havent seen anything that says to me "hey this kids gonna be something special". When G first came up, his skill and playmaking ability was pretty obvious, and he showed glimpses of the player we saw last year. JVR was kind of the same way, he occasionally showed how dominant he can be...he just never achieved it consistently while he was here. Couturier has shown to have an incredible hockey IQ at such a young age, I have no doubts about him.

With Schenn though, I just dont know. He has shown he can throw big hits, but offensively I havent seen him do anything to suggest he has it in him to be a 70 point player consistently. His shot isnt anything special, neither is his playmaking...and his hockey sense doesnt seem to be anything special either. To be honest, Laughton has impressed me more so far.

He is only 21, so its way too early to consider him a bust...I just have been disappointed so far. When he was traded here, he was considered "the best prospect not in the NHL"...I just havent seen that yet.

Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 04:39 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

AGE 18:
Couturier - 0.35 PPG
Lindros - N/A
Giroux - N/A
Voracek - N/A
Carter - N/A
Richards - N/A
vanRiemsdyk - N/A
Simmonds - N/A
Schenn - N/A

AGE 19:
Lindros - 1.23 PPG
Gagne - 0.60 PPG
Voracek - 0.48 PPG
Simmonds - 0.28 PPG
Giroux - N/A
Carter - N/A
Richards - N/A
Couturier - N/A
Schenn - N/A

AGE 20:
Lindros - 1.49 PPG
Gagne - 0.86 PPG
Voracek - 0.68 PPG
Giroux - 0.64 PPG
Carter - 0.52 PPG
Simmonds - 0.51 PPG
vanRiemsdyk - 0.45 PPG
Richards - 0.43 PPG
Schenn - 0.33 PPG
Couturier - N/A

AGE 21:
Lindros - 1.52 PPG
Gagne - 0.84 PPG
Carter - 0.60 PPG
Giroux - 0.57 PPG
Voracek - 0.56 PPG
Richards - 0.54 PPG
vanRiemsdyk - 0.53 PPG
Simmonds - 0.38 PPG
Couturier - N/A
Schenn - N/A

AGE 22:
Lindros - 1.58 PPG
Richards - 1.03 PPG
Giroux - 0.93 PPG
Carter - 0.65 PPG
Voracek - 0.63 PPG
Simmonds - 0.60 PPG
Gagne - 0.59 PPG
vanRiemsdyk - 0.56 PPG
Couturier - N/A
Schenn - N/A

AGE 23:
Lindros - 1.52 PPG
Giroux - 1.21 PPG
Carter - 1.02 PPG
Richards - 1.01 PPG
Gagne - 0.56 PPG
Voracek - N/A
vanRiemsdyk - N/A
Simmonds - N/A
Couturier - N/A
Schenn - N/A

AGE 24:
Lindros - 1.13 PPG
Carter - 0.82 PPG
Richards - 0.76 PPG
Giroux - N/A
Gagne - N/A
Voracek - N/A
vanRiemsdyk - N/A
Simmonds - N/A
Couturier - N/A
Schenn - N/A

AGE 25:
Lindros - 1.31 PPG
Gagne - 1.10 PPG
Carter - 0.83 PPG
Richards - 0.81 PPG
Giroux - N/A
Voracek - N/A
vanRiemsdyk - N/A
Simmonds - N/A
Couturier - N/A
Schenn - N/A

22 and 23 seem to be the true measurement years.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 04:40 PM
Norm MacDonald

I thought Couturier has been excellent. It took him one or two games to readjust to the NHL's speed, but now he's picked up where he left off last season.

Schenn has been a bit disappointing, but he's still young. Holmgren's mistake was to thrust him onto the first line rather than shelter him behind other players so he can develop without unreasonable expectations. It reminds me of 2006, when people were predicting Carter and Richards would dominate with Kyle Calder.

Norm MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 04:49 PM
Broad st phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
I am a little skeptical of B. Schenn. After watching him so far, I just havent seen anything that says to me "hey this kids gonna be something special". When G first came up, his skill and playmaking ability was pretty obvious, and he showed glimpses of the player we saw last year. JVR was kind of the same way, he occasionally showed how dominant he can be...he just never achieved it consistently while he was here. Couturier has shown to have an incredible hockey IQ at such a young age, I have no doubts about him.

With Schenn though, I just dont know. He has shown he can throw big hits, but offensively I havent seen him do anything to suggest he has it in him to be a 70 point player consistently. His shot isnt anything special, neither is his playmaking...and his hockey sense doesnt seem to be anything special either. To be honest, Laughton has impressed me more so far.

He is only 21, so its way too early to consider him a bust...I just have been disappointed so far. When he was traded here, he was considered "the best prospect not in the NHL"...I just havent seen that yet.
Schenn physical can be overwhelming for other teams and already at such a young age. He has offensive upside to, and I do like Laughton but a couple of games for me really isn't enough to judge someone. The Sophomores are just slow out of the gate or the dreaded sophomore slump, not much to worry about.

Broad st phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 05:39 PM
toughfighter83*

the thing with courts and schenn comparing to lindros and leclair is that they were big, fast goal scorers, they can shoot the puck, with courts and schenn they dont have anything like a big shot, they are more like playmakers which is something this team has too much off.

im not going to lose sleep if they give rid of schenn because he's just not a dangerous goal scorer, i dont care about last year because it was a different year and coaches didnt know how to stop them, they seem to have a defensive strategy to stop them because it's just too predicable.

toughfighter83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 05:56 PM
zarley zelepukin

Both guys are too young to really be worried about at this point. Especially Couturier, who wasn't given any kind of offensive expectations last year.

That said, what percentage of players ends up reaching their full potential? Not that many I'm sure. If those two ever become as good as the players we traded away to get them, that'd be outstanding. If they get close, that'd be pretty good too. They're young enough to say that there's a chance they'll even end up being better.

zarley zelepukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 06:21 PM
Clown Baby

They're no Jakub Kindl.

Clown Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 08:15 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoneyflyguy View Post
But I want them to be hofers now!!!

Waaaaa.

FYI, jvr is still young to get the bs he got here.

Let's also forget they didn't get any team oriented coaching in the offseason.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 08:29 PM
FlyingHigh28*

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
But I want them to be hofers now!!!

Waaaaa.

FYI, jvr is still young to get the bs he got here.

Let's also forget they didn't get any team oriented coaching in the offseason.
I can understand the impatience, but what I hate among members of our fanbase is inconsistency. Anyone who was getting on JVR in his second year (and there were TONS) should be getting on Brayden Schenn.

Especially when you consider what we gave up to get each. JVR simply cost us a draft pick, and none of the other prospects who you could reasonably expect us to pick have been any better.

Schenn on the other hand cost us our former captain Mike Richards, a proven NHL stud.

Me personally, I believe both Schenn and JVR should be given slack, but I know there are lots of people on here who have double standards, people who trashed JVR but will gladly wait for Brayden Schenn. And I don't quite understand why or what JVR did to deserve how he was treated.

FlyingHigh28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 08:42 PM
toughfighter83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHigh28 View Post
I can understand the impatience, but what I hate among members of our fanbase is inconsistency. Anyone who was getting on JVR in his second year (and there were TONS) should be getting on Brayden Schenn.

Especially when you consider what we gave up to get each. JVR simply cost us a draft pick, and none of the other prospects who you could reasonably expect us to pick have been any better.

Schenn on the other hand cost us our former captain Mike Richards, a proven NHL stud.

like i said not every young player homer gets is going to be great, sometimes those players just dont work out, although i didnt like the mike richards trade, i believe homer got hosed again on that deal, including carter's as well, you can wonder why la gave up on simmonds and schenn plus columbus giving up on jake so easy, if these players dont pan out that's on homer.

toughfighter83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 08:59 PM
Prongo
Beer

They didn't "give up" on the players they traded. They were the price they were going to have to pay to get two players like Richards and Carter. Simmonds has shown he is a gritty power forward too, he doesn't look like the throw in some people thought he was in the trade.

Also Richards ever since that concussion last year has looked pretty dreadful. He has even looked worse IMO this year in the short amount of games he has played.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:03 PM
The Couturier Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughfighter83 View Post
like i said not every young player homer gets is going to be great, sometimes those players just dont work out, although i didnt like the mike richards trade, i believe homer got hosed again on that deal, including carter's as well, you can wonder why la gave up on simmonds and schenn plus columbus giving up on jake so easy, if these players dont pan out that's on homer.
Scored 29 goals last year and is arguably our best forward so far this year. And how did he get hosed in the Carter deal? Even if Voracek doesn't work out (I think he'll be fine), he still got Couturier and traded the 2nd rounder for Grossmann, who has been playing very well. If anything, he made out like a bandit.

As for the main topic of the thread, it's been 6 games. Relax. Both are young and still have lots of potential. Lots of players get off to slow starts and/or go through cold streaks. That's hockey.

The Couturier Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:15 PM
BernieParent

I'm pretty worried about both. Hopefully Holmgren can package Schenn and Couturier for a high-scoring veteran to help this team squeeze into the playoffs.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:18 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
I'm pretty worried about both. Hopefully Holmgren can package Schenn and Couturier for a high-scoring veteran to help this team squeeze into the playoffs.
We could trade Briere for a 3rd round pick then package both of them to get him back.

01-28-2013, 09:22 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
We could trade Briere for a 3rd round pick then package both of them to get him back.
I don't think you see the word "genius" enough in responses to your posts. Whenever I see you respond in a thread, I'm always expecting to see something geniusy.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote