HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Don Cherry & the Coach's Corner season 2013

Closed Thread

Old
01-26-2013, 08:03 PM
GetThePuckOut

vCash: 1081
Quote:
Originally Posted by His Beardliness View Post
Because hitting isn't something that happens in a game anyway. Stars get hit all the time and deal with it. Unless you're suggesting that players are now going to risk shanabans just to take Yakupov out.
Maybe they go to hit him to just a little bit harder though, than they would have otherwise. But things happen fast, and a little can turn into a lot. When someone is mad and throws a big hit, sometimes he overdoes it. They don't have perfect self control, especially when they're angry. It's easy to get mad in hockey and easy to lose your cool, so it's not smart for Yakupov to do things that are gonna aggravate other teams. Especially if it's perceived as taunting or rubbing it in.

Old
01-26-2013, 08:05 PM
ZugNugget

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeping it Blue View Post
"bulletin board material"

Coaches/captains put up something on the bulletin board as a rallying thing. Usually this would be a quote or in Yak's case, a photo. "You want to stand there and watch then showboat like that again? Lets get them!"

I can't believe that people cannot understand how this gives other teams more drive to beat that team/player.
Sure worked for Chicago last year. Blown out and embarrassed by the Oilers, then blown out and embarrassed again. I would rather teams bring their best against the Oilers because that's the level of play they'll have to face when they eventually make the playoffs.

Yakupov gave the paying customers even more than they hoped for with his celebration. It was an incredible moment for fans, and the team will gladly take whatever Los Angeles has for them next time.

Old
01-26-2013, 08:09 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

True story...I used to hate the team I was playing against. Wanted them to lose so bad I could taste it. Would hit, fight, do whatever to beat them.

But the one thing a guy never did was show them up. For old school guys, it is worse than spitting in their faces.

I can comprehend how people won't understand that, but please acknowledge that there are some of us that Don speaks to that DO understand it.

Yak didn't do the worst thing ever, but I wouldn't want him to do that again, that's for sure.

Old
01-26-2013, 08:09 PM
PanthersPens62
#KidK

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
I agree, I disagree.....blah blah blah. Who really cares what a bunch of guys on a message board think.

But since we are here to chat about this stuff, I will agree with what Grapes said 100% regarding Yakupov. I am an Oiler fan, but I am a hockey guy too, and that junk does not fly in the opposition dressing room no matter what a bunch of guys watching the game and typing on a keyboard think.

Fleury can whine all he wants to, but I bet that is exactly what happened, and he knows it.

There are team guys, and there are me guys. Me guys love that celebration. Team guys hate that crap.

Decide who you are and make your choice.
Once again you've nailed it.

I was entertained as always. The Fleury clip was an extra added bonus. I had forgotten how over the top it was. And at his tweets tonight. Just be happy you are trending again, Theo, and don't worry about Grapes' job secirity.

Old
01-26-2013, 08:10 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
So does Mike Milbury.
Absolutely.

Old
01-26-2013, 08:12 PM
His Beardliness
#SireBabcock

vCash: 1125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeping it Blue View Post
"bulletin board material"

Coaches/captains put up something on the bulletin board as a rallying thing. Usually this would be a quote or in Yak's case, a photo. "You want to stand there and watch then showboat like that again? Lets get them!"

I can't believe that people cannot understand how this gives other teams more drive to beat that team/player.
I think the results of that, similarly to the momentum of a fight, is highly unpredictable. Sometimes that frustration will blow back in your face, and chasing Yakupov all night will get you penalties.

Old
01-26-2013, 08:13 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
So you don't watch him, but you call him a racist who trolls Euros.

Sorry, I base my opinons on fact and what I see firsthand, not what I hope someone is saying and thinking. This is why Don has so many detractors. I am guessing you are not the only one.
Yes I live under a rock and have no access to comments made by him... I wish there was a message board around where links to comments\ big news stories etc were available...

Don has many distractors because CBC puts him on as a tradition not as a source of knowledge...

anyways ... keep using the facepalms and be amused by the comments of Downald Cheharry..

Old
01-26-2013, 08:23 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
Yes I live under a rock and have no access to comments made by him... I wish there was a message board around where links to comments\ big news stories etc were available...

Don has many distractors because CBC puts him on as a tradition not as a source of knowledge...

anyways ... keep using the facepalms and be amused by the comments of Downald Cheharry..
No, instead I think I will start commenting on German soccer commentators, or something else I don't watch, so I know what it is like to walk in your shoes.

Old
01-26-2013, 08:51 PM
karnige
Real Life FTL

cherry calls yaks an idiot and hailing the leafs on a good game against the rangers even though they were outshot 42 to 17. dear lord man

Old
01-26-2013, 08:55 PM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sTyLnK View Post
Meh. Cherry is old school. You knew he was going to say what he said. But I disagree and it's not because I'm an EDM fam. Considering the emotion in the building and circumstances of the EDM/LA game, Yakupov's celebration was fine. Over the top, but fine. As long as he doesn't make a habit of it (which I'm sure he won't) it's all good.
This is EXACTLY how I feel. I prefer he would have celebrated with his teammates, but considering the circumstances and his age, no big deal. With that said, he will put a target on his back if the over the top stuff becomes a regular thing.

Old
01-26-2013, 08:59 PM
canucksfan

vCash: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by karnige View Post
cherry calls yaks an idiot and hailing the leafs on a good game against the rangers even though they were outshot 42 to 17. dear lord man
They finally started playing Orr and Kadri, that is why the Leafs are winning. You people do not understand hockey like Cherry does.

Old
01-26-2013, 09:03 PM
oilersfan87

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeafs9 View Post
I agree with Don, and you're biased.

How would you feel if Yakupov was on the Kings and you were up 1-0 and got scored on with 5 seconds left, then see him celebrate like that? You just don't celebrate like that...He looked like he won the stanley cup with that celebration. It was terrible.
To be honest, I'd be mad that the Kings scored but the celebration itself wouldn't bother me just like Fluery's celebration doesn't bother me. In fact, I think that more players need to have awesome celebrations for big goals, traditional celebrations get boring after a while.

Old
01-26-2013, 09:16 PM
Will Billiams

Cherry was spot on tonight on all points.

As for the Yakupov celebration, I originally had no problem with it but wondered why he laid face down at the end, after watching the clip on Coach's Corner tonight where it showed the Kings goalie laying face down after the goal, it looked to me that Yakupov was mocking the goalie at the end. I don't like that.

Old
01-26-2013, 09:50 PM
JeffMangum
mfw Flyers D

vCash: 300
So did Cherry wile out over the Yakupov thing?

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
Old
01-26-2013, 09:51 PM
SJSharksfan39

vCash: 797
They either did take Coaches Corner on the road, or that was a speedy plane ride to Calgary. It even looks like Cherry was wearing the same suit, which was touchy.

Old
01-26-2013, 09:52 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Don said he was a little too hard on the kid during the Flames-Oilers games 1st intermission.

Old
01-26-2013, 09:53 PM
JS19
Four Kicks

No one noticed the hypocritical garbage he's spewed about the Leafs today? Last week he tore them a new ******* saying how Burke shouldn't have gotten X collegiate player and Y European and Z American? Lo and behold, he praises the Leafs for showing truculence, belligerence and testosterone in the first period of the game. Did he even know that the scorers were "Garbarovski" and van Riemsdyk? Two non-Ontarian players?

What a hypocrite.

Old
01-26-2013, 10:07 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post
No one noticed the hypocritical garbage he's spewed about the Leafs today? Last week he tore them a new ******* saying how Burke shouldn't have gotten X collegiate player and Y European and Z American? Lo and behold, he praises the Leafs for showing truculence, belligerence and testosterone in the first period of the game. Did he even know that the scorers were "Garbarovski" and van Riemsdyk? Two non-Ontarian players?

What a hypocrite.
LOL, tore them a new *********? Exaggerate much? He said they were not truculent and lacked grit. He never said a word about Ontario last week or this one that I remember. He said that Burke stated what model of a team he wanted to create, and then acted in ways that did not stick to that original theme.

That is true.

He also stated that Randy Carlyle would have been a better coach to bring that type of team to fruition as opposed to Ron Wilson, which is correct, because early on Carlyle seems to play those types of players more (Orr, etc.). He actually took some of the heat off Burke tonight.

But if you like your ******** theory, go with that.

Old
01-26-2013, 10:23 PM
MurphyDump

Quote:

What a hypocrite.
Exactly! Last week he spoke of how they claimed they were gonna get tougher, then they brought in all these Finns and Swedes and US Collegiate players, and mocked them for it. Well he didn't bring in a bunch of Swedes and Finns except for the Monster (who doesn't affect team toughness), and Sjostrom, who was acquired in the Phaneuf trade....but they traded Hagman away, so it was a wash.

So last week they completely screwed up the team by bringing in all these so called Euros and US collegiate players.....now this week they're tough again?

Which is it Don? And seeing Grabovski and JVR scoring was hilarious.

Chery has zero clue.

Old
01-26-2013, 10:24 PM
Semin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Don said he was a little too hard on the kid during the Flames-Oilers games 1st intermission.
My favorite was when he said J-bow is a "lovely skater, with no visor".

Old
01-26-2013, 10:47 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyDump View Post
Exactly! Last week he spoke of how they claimed they were gonna get tougher, then they brought in all these Finns and Swedes and US Collegiate players, and mocked them for it. Well he didn't bring in a bunch of Swedes and Finns except for the Monster (who doesn't affect team toughness), and Sjostrom, who was acquired in the Phaneuf trade....but they traded Hagman away, so it was a wash.

So last week they completely screwed up the team by bringing in all these so called Euros and US collegiate players.....now this week they're tough again?

Which is it Don? And seeing Grabovski and JVR scoring was hilarious.

Chery has zero clue.
I think the focus was on the overall team toughness, but you guys love bringing up nationality more than Cherry does.

Old
01-26-2013, 10:50 PM
elias026

i agree 100% on what Cherry said

about linesmen need to just drop the puck

Old
01-26-2013, 11:15 PM
JS19
Four Kicks

Quote:
LOL, tore them a new *********? Exaggerate much? He said they were not truculent and lacked grit. He never said a word about Ontario last week or this one that I remember. He said that Burke stated what model of a team he wanted to create, and then acted in ways that did not stick to that original theme.

That is true.

He also stated that Randy Carlyle would have been a better coach to bring that type of team to fruition as opposed to Ron Wilson, which is correct, because early on Carlyle seems to play those types of players more (Orr, etc.). He actually took some of the heat off Burke tonight.

But if you like your ******** theory, go with that.
I didn't say anything about Cherry being wrong that Carlyle is a better fit for Burke's team philosophy than Ron Wilson. Hell, I hated Ron Wilson as a San Jose Shark Head Coach (especially his unwarranted hate and pressure on Marleau led him to underachieve compared to Todd McLellan's). In fact, that's the ONLY thing I agree with when he was talking.

You should rewatch January 19th Coach's Corner then. In that sequence he clearly said "instead of getting tough guys, tough -CANADIAN- guys like he did in Anaheim, he starts getting US College guys, Fins, Swedes, What is this?!" He pretty much lambasted Toronto for not being a tough team overall and equated that to the fact that they had players from different nations instead of Canadian guys. So Canadian players are god's gift to hockey now? Should we just forget about Datsyuk, Gaborik, Zetterberg, Ovechkin?

Then he praises the Maple Leafs for having the right model of toughness on the team despite the roster not being changed since his multicultural rant, and the fact that he clearly said that Canadians are far more superior in toughness than Europeans? Is that not hypocritical to you?

If anything, I'm probably still getting Ontarians in my mind from last year's Coach's Corner when he suggested that TML should've had more Ontarians in the team than any other NHL team.

Quote:
I think the focus was on the overall team toughness, but you guys love bringing up nationality more than Cherry does.
It's more or less about consistency when delivering arguments (not that I think Cherry has any to begin with). Why praise a team that has toughness and has a roster that consists of the same Euro/Swede/Fin/US Collegiate he crapped on last week?

Old
01-26-2013, 11:35 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
I didn't say anything about Cherry being wrong that Carlyle is a better fit for Burke's team philosophy than Ron Wilson. Hell, I hated Ron Wilson as a San Jose Shark Head Coach (especially his unwarranted hate and pressure on Marleau led him to underachieve compared to Todd McLellan's). In fact, that's the ONLY thing I agree with when he was talking.

You should rewatch January 19th Coach's Corner then. In that sequence he clearly said "instead of getting tough guys, tough -CANADIAN- guys like he did in Anaheim, he starts getting US College guys, Fins, Swedes, What is this?!" He pretty much lambasted Toronto for not being a tough team overall and equated that to the fact that they had players from different nations instead of Canadian guys. So Canadian players are god's gift to hockey now? Should we just forget about Datsyuk, Gaborik, Zetterberg, Ovechkin?

Then he praises the Maple Leafs for having the right model of toughness on the team despite the roster not being changed since his multicultural rant, and the fact that he clearly said that Canadians are far more superior in toughness than Europeans? Is that not hypocritical to you?

If anything, I'm probably still getting Ontarians in my mind from last year's Coach's Corner when he suggested that TML should've had more Ontarians in the team than any other NHL team.

It's more or less about consistency when delivering arguments (not that I think Cherry has any to begin with). Why praise a team that has toughness and has a roster that consists of the same Euro/Swede/Fin/US Collegiate he crapped on last week?
All this, and what I am thinking as I read it is, "So what if he has an opinion that Canadian or even players from Ontario should be playing for the Leafs"?

When we talk about various Russians wanting to play for their home teams and having passion for playing at home (like during the lockout - KHL), it is some kind of badge of honor.

You mention four great players that are non-Canadian. Well, the Leafs don't have guys like that. You act as though they are a viable alternative to guys like like Colton Orr. Now maybe Colton is not a skilled player, but I would guess that he would do anything to keep his spot on the Leafs. Probably a lot more than some of the guys they have picked up and played in the past under Wilson.

Say that a Eurooean player might play harder for his home team in say, Sweden, than a Canadian playing abroad and you are a hero. There was a thread on here not long ago about Ovechkin going home for the Olympics and everybody marvelled at his love for his country. Say that about a kid from Winnipeg and you are a racist biggot.

Now THAT is hypocrisy.

Edit to answer your final question... he is praising them for playing tougher guys now, like Orr. Plus, he never ripped the other guys, just how the team was built. Guy is misunderstood like no other.

Last edited by fly4apuckguy: 01-26-2013 at 11:41 PM.
Old
01-26-2013, 11:51 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Cherry wishes he scored a goal in the NHL to celebrate

Closed Thread