HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Don Cherry & the Coach's Corner season 2013

Closed Thread

Old
01-19-2013, 12:04 PM
Karl

vCash: 500
I am going to go out on a limb and say Grapes says a bunch of things that will upset a lot of people here.

Old
01-19-2013, 12:04 PM
JS19
Four Kicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless View Post
You obviously havent watched the NBA and seen the age of there refs. At least Cherry isnt on the ice.
You just gave me a mental image of Cherry being manly man meme and stopping fights by fighting the two fighters.

Old
01-19-2013, 12:09 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
I am going to go out on a limb and say Grapes says a bunch of things that will upset a lot of people here.
Those of us who know what to expect from him (=entertainment) will be disappointed if he doesn't.

Old
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonimaus View Post
.... Wow..

Don Cherry has stated that Canada is hurt by it not being a 100% canadian league, because the evil americans and europeans steal roster spots from hard working, lesser skilled canadians.

It was a bash against Cherry, not CHL. Cherry is a clown.
Please find the quote where he calls them evil.

The rest is true. No one can dispute it. It is fact. It may sound unpopular, but read what it says. How can it be anything but true?

You may disagree with the sentiment because you want European players to develop like the Canadian players have in the CHL, where they learn the North American game. You may even think that it would make the CHL less appealing because the talent level would drop. Those are arguments that can be made.

But in terms of it hurting Canadian players, there is no way it can't be true. If the CHL teams in Canada only took Canadian players, that would help more Canadian players to develop. Fact. So you dislike a fact. That's on you.

So, how does stating a fact make one a clown?

Old
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

"Canada is the best hockey nation". After he slams his fist on the desk, "Now about the game tonight here is what the Leafs need to do to win it". "Support the troops". "Look at my tie".

Old
01-19-2013, 12:10 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post
You just gave me a mental image of Cherry being manly man meme and stopping fights by fighting the two fighters.
Like the time he was fishing barehanded or something during the SC finals, possibly in Chicago?

Old
01-19-2013, 12:14 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
Cherry is many things but he's not a clown. He's one of the few hockey people who speak their minds and don't hide behind all those corporate BS PR-cliches.

It's like the NHL, if there were no controversial hits, goals, saves, penalties etc, this forum would be silent. We need something to talk about.

And I'm an European.
Yeah, behind all the show and extreme hockey patriotism he does know his hockey. Some of it may be "old school" but still. When he talks about protecting the players in the rink, no ones is arguing that.

Old
Jacob8hockey*
Maple Leaf Fan

Almost a sure thing he talks about a good ole GTA boy in Mike Kostka who was able to battle his way to the NHL at the age of 27. Plays with heart and never gives up

Old
Jonimaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post

The rest is true. No one can dispute it. It is fact. It may sound unpopular, but read what it says. How can it be anything but true?

You may disagree with the sentiment because you want European players to develop like the Canadian players have in the CHL, where they learn the North American game. You may even think that it would make the CHL less appealing because the talent level would drop. Those are arguments that can be made.

But in terms of it hurting Canadian players, there is no way it can't be true. If the CHL teams in Canada only took Canadian players, that would help more Canadian players to develop. Fact. So you dislike a fact. That's on you.

Alright there is no reasoning with a Cherry fan, so I won't even attempt it.
But you can read through this thread: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1316229 of 30 pages if you wan't to read why he's an idiot.

Last edited by Jonimaus: 01-19-2013 at 12:24 PM.
Old
01-19-2013, 12:21 PM
canucksfan

vCash: 990
Cheery is a complete idiot and pretty much everything he says is wrong which is why I like watching him.

Old
01-19-2013, 12:39 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:

So if you believe this is true, they probably shouldn't allow the washed up Canadian NHLers to go over to Europe and collect a pay check in one of their leagues that could be going to homegrown talent. Nor should any Canadian kid be allowed to play at an American University.

If I'm a season ticket holder in Sarnia and given my choice between watching Nail Yakupov or Billy Bob who'd normally be playing on the junior b team, guess which way I go?

Old
01-19-2013, 12:43 PM
littleD

Send a message via MSN to littleD
What's a Don Cherry?

Old
01-19-2013, 12:46 PM
WWAD

- Leafs will make the playoffs
- (Insert name of random "good Canadian boy") rookie of the year
- some players will get bashed, possibly anyone with a Russian sounding name
- despite not winning the WJC, Canada still the best

Old
01-19-2013, 01:08 PM
octopi

vCash: 703
Bashing guys for going to Europe and taking jobs

Saying guys that went(esp calling out Russian stars) and saying "And they should stay there!"

Pick a good Canadian boy who handled the entire thing perfectly.

yeah, I'm psychic

Old
01-19-2013, 01:13 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
So if you believe this is true, they probably shouldn't allow the washed up Canadian NHLers to go over to Europe and collect a pay check in one of their leagues that could be going to homegrown talent. Nor should any Canadian kid be allowed to play at an American University.

If I'm a season ticket holder in Sarnia and given my choice between watching Nail Yakupov or Billy Bob who'd normally be playing on the junior b team, guess which way I go?
First, you can't compare pro hockey to junior development. There is no correlation. Second, if American universities decided that, then I guess that would be their call. I am pretty sure there are some American parents of a great 12th grade track star who hopes some Canadian kid doesn't take away her full ride. I would understand it, if not agree with it.

Last, and most importantly, I don't necessarily agree with Don, just stating that his opinion is more pro-Canadian than anti-anyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonimaus View Post
Alright there is no reasoning with a Cherry fan, so I won't even attempt it.
But you can read through this thread: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1316229 of 30 pages if you wan't to read why he's an idiot.
Laugh all you want. You state opinions, I will stick to fact, which is why I am not interested in looking at a thread about what people "think". The other day I was looking at a thread where pages and pages of members were talking about things they thought about the game when they were young, like that goalies called icing and whatnot. I started playing when I was two. For fun, I memorized the Habs roster and details about each player (date of birth, height, weight, hobbies) when I was nine. I was an official at age 11. So if you are going to try to convince me with the questionable knowledge of a bunch of people on here, that will fail and fail hard.

I will watch what he says, listen to what he means, and go from there. You can go and read what other posters who think scoring a shorthanded goal means you score it with one hand if you like to form your opinions that way.

Old
01-19-2013, 01:16 PM
ProstheticConscience
Kunst

vCash: 883
An oldie but a goodie:

Old
01-19-2013, 01:22 PM
BobDobolina

vCash: 504

Old
01-19-2013, 01:24 PM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksfan View Post
Cheery is a complete idiot and pretty much everything he says is wrong which is why I like watching him.
He's actually right about most things which is the funny thing for as many haters as he has

Old
01-19-2013, 01:30 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
He's actually right about most things which is the funny thing for as many haters as he has
Most people, as Jack Nicholson would say, "Can't handle the truth." They'd rather he just say nice things about the players they like.

Look, I am the number one Crosby fan there is. He says some pretty harsh stuff about Sid. The criticism is usually spot on, and even though I don't like it, he says what needs to be said.

I bet a lot of players have watched him talk about them and changed parts of their game because of his input, even if their first reaction was to be upset.

Old
01-19-2013, 01:32 PM
Jonimaus

Quote:
I will watch what he says, listen to what he means, and go from there. You can go and read what other posters who think scoring a shorthanded goal means you score it with one hand if you like to form your opinions that way.
I see you are very good at doing that. If you work hard, you might just be able to take over one day.

I think it's fairly obvious you look up to this guy, so obviously you're going to be hurt when your hero is being trashtalked.

Old
01-19-2013, 01:37 PM
Everlong
Franchise Pillar

Apparently he's doing coaches corner for all saturday time slots. Afternoon/evening/night.

Old
01-19-2013, 01:41 PM
stamkos

I heard 2 today..

Old
01-19-2013, 01:42 PM
ProstheticConscience
Kunst

vCash: 883
He's like the drunken, racist, senile, abusive uncle from Ontario I never had.

Old
01-19-2013, 02:37 PM
canucksfan

vCash: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
Most of his predicitions are wrong. He just shows you the ones he correctly predicts.

Old
01-19-2013, 02:40 PM
CaptBrannigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProstheticConscience View Post
He's like the drunken, racist, senile, abusive uncle from Ontario I never had.
Haha, exactly this. He sits in the rocker in the corner during the holidays and everyone just smiles and rolls their eyes...

Closed Thread