HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Don Cherry & the Coach's Corner season 2013

Closed Thread

Old
01-29-2013, 08:50 PM
TheGudge

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
Yes, because being a traditionalist means you are cold-hearted.

Or maybe you just have an opinion.

The truth is, what warms me is my love of the history and traditions of the game, and the unwritten rules that govern it. That which is made my players, for players.

Most players hate the celebration, if you asked them man to man. They are the game. Not you or any other person on here is.
For sure bud, it's all opinion right. You know it's funny cause I totally agree with you, and I was a lil heavy on the hyperbole with the cold hearted comment, that detracted from what I was trying to get at.

I won't call myself a traditionalist cause I'm only 30 but I play grubby mens league hockey and when I score, and most guys for that matter, usually just do a little"Yah!" maybe do a fist pump but then congratulate teammates and all that, tell the guy who set you up nice pass. I really don't like to overly celebrate and most hockey players are like this it seems, which is great, be our humble selves.

But I just like to see people be themselves, and that's all Yak was doing IMO, I don't think he intended to create a controversy or insult the game, the guy was just completely overcome with emotion. Like a little kid opening up a Christmas present that just goes insane. So was I after he scored lol.

Old
01-29-2013, 09:19 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGudge View Post
For sure bud, it's all opinion right. You know it's funny cause I totally agree with you, and I was a lil heavy on the hyperbole with the cold hearted comment, that detracted from what I was trying to get at.

I won't call myself a traditionalist cause I'm only 30 but I play grubby mens league hockey and when I score, and most guys for that matter, usually just do a little"Yah!" maybe do a fist pump but then congratulate teammates and all that, tell the guy who set you up nice pass. I really don't like to overly celebrate and most hockey players are like this it seems, which is great, be our humble selves.

But I just like to see people be themselves, and that's all Yak was doing IMO, I don't think he intended to create a controversy or insult the game, the guy was just completely overcome with emotion. Like a little kid opening up a Christmas present that just goes insane. So was I after he scored lol.
In all honesty, I wasn't offended by it. In fact, if people saw the Oiler GDT I think I probably even said it was okay.

I just dislike the generalization that people who are against what I call hotdogging are somehow stupid, cold-hearted dumb old fools.

I resent that kind of thining. I am not old.

Okay, I am 42.

Old
01-29-2013, 09:57 PM
TheGudge

Quote:
In all honesty, I wasn't offended by it. In fact, if people saw the Oiler GDT I think I probably even said it was okay.

I just dislike the generalization that people who are against what I call hotdogging are somehow stupid, cold-hearted dumb old fools.

I resent that kind of thining. I am not old.

Okay, I am 42.
Totally, didn't mean to generalize, if I came off that way I apologize, the history of hockey's importance should never be downplayed and forgotten either.

But Don shouldn't have been calling people idiots from the start to fire everyone up. That dumb old fool can be pretty stupid and cold hearted at times , leave Yak and Theo alone!!

Old
01-29-2013, 10:27 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
But Don shouldn't have been calling people idiots from the start to fire everyone up. That dumb old fool can be pretty stupid and cold hearted at times , leave Yak and Theo alone!!
Nothing Cherry says makes any sense, he should be looking for some experimental Alzheimer's medication. He's basically the white Stephen A. Smith at this point, doing the exact same "I AM TALKING AS LOUDLY AS POSSIBLE THEREFORE I AM AN AUTHORITY ON A SUBJECT I CLEARLY HAVE NO CLUE ABOUT!" gimmick.

Old
01-30-2013, 04:07 AM
Dave Karp

vCash: 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsFan74 View Post
And isn't that ironic? The narrative from the documentaries of the Summit Series or the Lake Placid Olympics in 1980 is that of the Soviet team being a bunch of robotic, emotionless, cyborgs- a narrative that obviously feeds into the commonly held notion that such lack of freedom of expression and joy (after scoring a goal or achieving a victory) was a product of being raised in a Communist regime. And here we have a Russian kid- a child of the post-Communist era- celebrating in an exuberant fashion no doubt, but with no evidence whatsoever of malice towards the opposition, and the wolves descend upon him in a feeding frenzy, aptly led by their clown-in-chief.
It is interesting, actually. While I don't believe Yakupov was trying to be malicious in any way, I do believe that he should "act like he's scored before", as another poster said previously. That's just me, and how I've been taught to act when I've scored in sport.

What I do find interesting, and what you have touched on is celebrations post communist Russia. Now we've grown more accustomed to outrageous celebrations from Russians (ie: OV's warming his hands on the fire and Anisimov's gun salute, which I loved) as opposed to Canadians doing the standard fist bump or jab in the air. I'm quite interested in why the change has occurred to begin with. I wonder if people place blame on Yakupov, and a lot of Russians coming to Canada to play hockey, where in Junior Hockey, excessive celebrations still run rampant?

Old
01-30-2013, 04:44 AM
jekoh

Quote:
There is nothing humble about hardly celebrating, if anything that's a bit arrogant.

Old
01-30-2013, 04:51 AM
Dave Karp

vCash: 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by jekoh View Post
There is nothing humble about hardly celebrating, if anything that's a bit arrogant.
I guess damned if you do, damned if you don't?

I don't even know what to say about that one. I guess jumping around like an idiot keeps the arrogance level down.

I think that's the most appropriate way of celebrating unless you have a big scene planned or you just never score.

Old
01-30-2013, 05:04 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Karp View Post
I guess damned if you do, damned if you don't?

I don't even know what to say about that one. I guess jumping around like an idiot keeps the arrogance level down.

I think that's the most appropriate way of celebrating unless you have a big scene planned or you just never score.
I know it doesn't make sense, but that post is simply a matter of one person automatically adopting the opposing view from the person or group he or she perceives as its "rival" The poster is famous for anti-Canadian rhetoric and if Canadians uniformly approved of the celebration, if the prevailing element in our hockey culture was to openly encourage such, then rest assured the content of what the poster would write would be the exact opposite.

And for the record, I had no problem with the Yakupov celebration. It didn't bother me in the slightest. At the same time, and I posted this earlier as well, it won't bother me in the slightest if some LA player in the future accidentally on purpose makes Yakupov eat a hockey stick and rearranges that pretty smile of his.

Last edited by Mr Writer: 01-30-2013 at 05:09 AM.
Old
01-30-2013, 05:20 AM
jekoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
I know it doesn't make sense, but that post is simply a matter of one person automatically adopting the opposing view from the person or group he or she perceives as its "rival" The poster is famous for anti-Canadian rhetoric and if Canadians uniformly approved of the celebration, if the prevailing element in our hockey culture was to openly encourage such, then rest assured the content of what the poster would write would be the exact opposite.
It might not make sense to you, but here in Europe, not celebrating is likely to be regarded as arrogant or even insulting (as would be choosing to not run up the score).

The fact that you perceive that to be some anti-Canadian rhetoric is really laughable.

Old
01-30-2013, 05:29 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
It might not make sense to you, but here in Europe, not celebrating is likely to be regarded as arrogant or even insulting (as would be choosing to not run up the score).

The fact that you perceive that to be some anti-Canadian rhetoric is really laughable.
I didn't say that post in particular was anti-Canadian rhetoric. I said you generally you write anti-Canadian rhetoric. And that's fine.. I have no issues with that, whatever floats your boat. I know all about Europe, pal. My professional life is in Europe, expat for the last 8 years. And I despise European football culture. I hate it with a passion. And football (soccer) was my second sport growing up in Canada. I am a football fan, but I wouldn't waste a second of my time on football forums commenting on what's acceptable behavior in N.A. football culture as opposed to what is acceptable in Europe. So, the prevailing concept in N.A. hockey culture (Canadian) is to be somewhat opposed to such "Me celebrations" I suggest your best bet, is just to say, well if that's Canadian hockey culture I can see where you may have an issue, I may not agree with it, but I understand your argument.

Old
01-30-2013, 06:03 AM
jekoh

Quote:
And I despise European football culture. I hate it with a passion.
Well if you despise and hate other sporting cultures surely that makes your opinion about what is a respectful way to conduct one's self and what isn't a very authoritative one?

Quote:
So, the prevailing concept in N.A. hockey culture (Canadian) is to be somewhat opposed to such "Me celebrations"
There does not appear to be any prevailing concept at all when it comes to Yakupov's celebration, hence the 15-page long "debate".

Old
01-30-2013, 06:38 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Well if you despise and hate other sporting cultures surely that makes your opinion about what is a respectful way to conduct one's self and what isn't a very authoritative one?

There does not appear to be any prevailing concept at all when it comes to Yakupov's celebration, hence the 15-page long "debate".
The point is, that despite my dislike for European football culture, I don't pretend my opinion from a North American perspective has any relevance at all in Europe, thus I don't comment on football, and you should know your opinions on Canadian hockey culture have absolutely no significance to us. WE DON"T CARE WHAT YOU THINK.

As far as the Yakupov goal celebration, I had no problem with it, I didn't criticize him for it. If it sells and markets the game in the U.S. and we never have to endure another lockout, then celebrate every goal...on the list of things "football influences" in hockey, goal celebrations are the least of my worries. I dislike more diving and faking injury...those are more critical issues which I would like to see addressed. and those are practiced by several irrespective of nationality. Two Canadians on Vancouver come to mind, but there are a few others from other places of the globe as well.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:04 AM
jekoh

Quote:
The point is, that despite my dislike for European football culture, I don't pretend my opinion from a North American perspective has any relevance at all in Europe, thus I don't comment on football,
If there was as few Europeans in NA hockey as there are NA in European football, you'd have a point. Unfortunately for NA xenophobes though, around 1 in 3 NHLer is from Europe so European sporting culture is most definitely relevant here since it might in some instances explain why some players appear to conduct themselves a little differently from the "good canadian boy".

Quote:
and you should know your opinions on Canadian hockey culture have absolutely no significance to us. WE DON"T CARE WHAT YOU THINK.
Well you obviously do, seeing as you insist on responding to my posts.

Having said that I'm willing to bet Yakupov does not care what some Canadian dinosaurs think, so they should probably just shup up and move on.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:18 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
If there was as few Europeans in NA hockey as there are NA in European football, you'd have a point. Unfortunately for NA xenophobes though, around 1 in 3 NHLer is from Europe so European sporting culture is most definitely relevant here since it might in some instances explain why some players appear to conduct themselves a little differently from the "good canadian boy".

Well you obviously do, seeing as you insist on responding to my posts.

Having said that I'm willing to bet Yakupov does not care what some Canadian dinosaurs think, so they should probably just shup up and move on.
Whatever feeds your ego. Carry on!

Old
01-30-2013, 07:23 AM
BobDobolina

vCash: 504
Quote:
The point is, that despite my dislike for European football culture, I don't pretend my opinion from a North American perspective has any relevance at all in Europe, thus I don't comment on football, and you should know your opinions on Canadian hockey culture have absolutely no significance to us. WE DON"T CARE WHAT YOU THINK.
The NHL is not "Canadian hockey culture", you may want it to be but it's not. Speaking of Canadian hockey culture, in the CHL and WJC Canadian kids do tend to go wild and exuberant with their celebrations (pulling on their shirt, jumping up and down, skating to center ice etc. etc.) and nobody seems to have a problem with it. Isnt that "Canadian hockey culture" too and why the sudden demand for change when they step into the NHL?

Old
01-30-2013, 08:15 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDobolina View Post
The NHL is not "Canadian hockey culture", you may want it to be but it's not. Speaking of Canadian hockey culture, in the CHL and WJC Canadian kids do tend to go wild and exuberant with their celebrations (pulling on their shirt, jumping up and down, skating to center ice etc. etc.) and nobody seems to have a problem with it. Isnt that "Canadian hockey culture" too and why the sudden demand for change when they step into the NHL?
If you read my posts again, I have no problem with the Yakupov celebration. )))) Do I think the moment deserved such a celebration? No. But I don't criticize Yakupov for it. He's entitled to it.... To each his own! **** happens in the course of a hockey game.

I was only arguing Canadian hockey culture in the broadest sense...

With what goes on in the CHL or the WJHC, with the tugging of the sweater after a goal, I don't like that all that much, but just like the Yakupov celebration I don't waste my time talking about if it is appropriate or not...
But I do think a person has the right to say what he feels on the subject without being attacked. Everybody has an opinion. I understand those who think it is great..and those who say not so great, hey... good on em!

And just as with my European pal, he has the right to his opinion, and I have the right to say, his opinion means nothing to me, as mine means nothing to him. That's the way it works.

Last edited by piqued: 01-30-2013 at 06:26 PM.
Old
01-30-2013, 08:16 AM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:

Just so you know, a lot of young Canadians are taught not to show up their opponents, so you can think this is a belief of dinosaurs, but actually it is a Hockey Canada belief.

In fact, this message board is not a good representation of Hockey Canada. Most of the guys here are hockey fans of specific teams, but those of us who are actually inolved in youth hockey, in Hockey Canada period...teach kids not to act that way when they score. Celebrate, yes. Do something that might be perceived as arrogant or disrespectful...no way.

Maybe the Russian hockey federation is okay with a bunch of teenagers going by the opposition bench and taunting the losing team, but if the Canadians had done that (WJC), they would have heard about how poorly they represented us from Hockey Canada.

Old
01-30-2013, 08:27 AM
BobDobolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post

And in your mind, what Avery said is similar to what Yakupov did?

He's just repeating the words of his favorite philosopher, Don Cherry.

Look at this great thinker in action:

Last edited by BobDobolina: 01-30-2013 at 08:36 AM.
Old
01-30-2013, 08:32 AM
BobDobolina

Quote:
If you read my posts again, I have no problem with the Yakupov celebration. )))) Do I think the moment deserved such a celebration? No. But I don't criticize Yakupov for it. He's entitled to it.... To each his own! **** happens in the course of a hockey game.

I was only arguing Canadian hockey culture in the broadest sense...

With what goes on in the CHL or the WJHC, with the tugging of the sweater after a goal, I don't like that all that much, but just like the Yakupov celebration I don't waste my time talking about if it is appropriate or not...
But I do think a person has the right to say what he feels on the subject without being attacked. Everybody has an opinion. I understand those who think it is great..and those who say not so great, hey... good on em!

And just as with my European pal, he has the right to his opinion, and I have the right to say, his opinion means nothing to me, as mine means nothing to him. That's the way it works.
Good for you but it's one thing to state your opinion and another to go around calling people idiots/goofs etc. while preaching about what "doesn't belong in the game" like Cherry is.

Last edited by piqued: 01-30-2013 at 06:27 PM. Reason: qep
Old
01-30-2013, 08:49 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDobolina View Post
Good for you but it's one thing to state your opinion and another to go around calling people idiots/goofs etc. while preaching about what "doesn't belong in the game" like Cherry is.
Just like my 80 year old grandfather, a mean ol' Irish ******* who rambles with hate riddled nonsense with every sip of whisky, everything he says is in one ear and out the other... I love him anyway.

Do I think it is time for Don to retire from that show? Yes! And I hope he goes out with all guns blazing. Don does a lot of good for minor hockey, more good than harm.. I think he should retire and spend more of his energy in minor hockey... and I mean promoting/marketing. Not teaching. Don is the ultimate promoter.

The fact that so many of his supporters and haters, trip over every word don utters is laughable.

Seriously!!!

Old
01-30-2013, 09:07 AM
jekoh

Quote:
In fact, this message board is not a good representation of Hockey Canada. Most of the guys here are hockey fans of specific teams, but those of us who are actually inolved in youth hockey, in Hockey Canada period...teach kids not to act that way when they score. Celebrate, yes. Do something that might be perceived as arrogant or disrespectful...no way.
I don't think anyone said that players should be arrogant or disrespectful.

You seem to be unable to realise that the disagreement is over what is or isn't disrespectful.

If my opponent scores against me, I certainly expect him to celebrate. If he doesn't, that's a bit arrogant or even disrespectful. If he celebrates a little bit more than the bare minimum, all the better.

The same goes for running up the score: in NA it is often perceived as showing up your opponent, in Europe, not running up the score is perceived as showing up your opponent.

So if anything Yakupov's celebration should be taken by the Kings as a sign of respect. When he doesn't bother celebrating after a goal, then maybe you can feel a bit disrespected.

Quote:
Maybe the Russian hockey federation is okay with a bunch of teenagers going by the opposition bench and taunting the losing team, but if the Canadians had done that (WJC), they would have heard about how poorly they represented us from Hockey Canada.
Could it be that they poorly represented you to the point where the other team felt they had to retaliate by taunting them?

Old
01-30-2013, 11:26 AM
Zine

Quote:
Just so you know, a lot of young Canadians are taught not to show up their opponents, so you can think this is a belief of dinosaurs, but actually it is a Hockey Canada belief.

Riiiiiight.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:46 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:

Could it be that they poorly represented you to the point where the other team felt they had to retaliate by taunting them?
Not sure what the previous poster is referencing, but I remember the Russians doing just this to the US in the semis of the 2005 WJC. Of course, they played Canada in the finals, and folded when they got hit. The US just did not have a very strong team that year. Think that was the year they lost to Kazakhstan or UZbekistan or Bolivia in the prelims.

What I would love to see is the next time the Kings are in Edmonton to really light them up and jump around like monkeys on coke with every goal. Have all 5 skaters and even Quick start sliding all over the ice with every goal. REALLY mock the rookie.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:49 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post
Riiiiiight.

That was after the opponent was off the ice. Not like they did any of this while the US women were watching.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:17 PM
jekoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
Not sure what the previous poster is referencing, but I remember the Russians doing just this to the US in the semis of the 2005 WJC.
Allegedly the Americans played dirty and the taunting was the payback. I don't know if that is true or not as I can't be bothered to watch something as meaningless as the juniors, but the simple fact that you have to go back 8 years to find just one incident like that lends credit to the notion that it was payback for something that happened in that particular game. If that is true, then one could argue the Russians took a higher road than some posters here hope the Kings will take, making Yakupov "eat a hockey stick" and the like.

Closed Thread