HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Don Cherry & the Coach's Corner season 2013

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2013, 02:20 PM
jsykes

vCash: 500
Why do canadians think its their right to tell the rest of the world how to play and enjoy hockey? Just because you feel you shouldnt celebrate doesnt mean the rest of the world has to follow suit.

Hockey isnt the canadians game any more, its just hockey and its up to anyone that plays it to participate and enjoy it the way they want to and they should be able to do it without stodgy old has beens like Cherry criticizing it.

Old
01-30-2013, 04:10 PM
TheGudge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsykes View Post
Why do canadians think its their right to tell the rest of the world how to play and enjoy hockey? Just because you feel you shouldnt celebrate doesnt mean the rest of the world has to follow suit.

Hockey isnt the canadians game any more, its just hockey and its up to anyone that plays it to participate and enjoy it the way they want to and they should be able to do it without stodgy old has beens like Cherry criticizing it.
For sure, hockey is a multicultural sport. Lets let everyone be themselves, from Russians to Canadians to Latvians, while still maintaining an overall level of respect for eachother, fans and players included, a golden rule perhaps. Like secular society, keep your own traditions but follow an agreed law of the land. Most think what this kid did was within that standard.

Old
01-30-2013, 04:26 PM
toewsintangibles

https://twitter.com/TheoFleury14/sta...47304402128896

"I do remember Don shaking my hand after scoring that goal in Edm and him congratulating me. Did an interview with Ron right after the goal." -Theo Fleury

I think Cherry himself would have been the receiver of a beatdown for his flamboyance in the good ole days which Cherry so regularly talks about.. The good ole days weren't as good as he remembers them.

It would have been wrong, but he's a fossil who shouldn't be on television. His dumb and obvious trolling shouldn't be allowed to happen on a product like HNIC which doesn't need his sorry ass to get ratings.

Old
01-30-2013, 04:57 PM
M A K A V E L I*

Quote:
Originally Posted by toewsintangibles View Post
His dumb and obvious trolling shouldn't be allowed to happen on a product like HNIC which doesn't need his sorry ass to get ratings.
That's why he's on. He gets ratings. You think people would watch tools like McLean reading poetry during intermissions?

Old
01-30-2013, 06:15 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post
Riiiiiight.

On one hand, we have a team celebrating a gold medal win at the Olympics, after everyone has left the arena.

On the other, we have a rookie in his third game showing up the defending Stanley Cup champs and Conn Smythe trophy winner, not as a team but for himself.

Some person used the phrase apples and oranges on this thread awhile back.

You are comparing apples and spray on hair.

Not even in the same universe, but good for a laugh.

PS - there actually was a controversy in Canada over this, if you remember. So I think you unwittingly proved my point, even though your comparison failed horribly.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:11 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
The point is, that despite my dislike for European football culture, I don't pretend my opinion from a North American perspective has any relevance at all in Europe, thus I don't comment on football, and you should know your opinions on Canadian hockey culture have absolutely no significance to us. WE DON"T CARE WHAT YOU THINK.
(...)
This Canadian does.

Who gives you the right to speak for me and other Canadians.

That's pretty arrogant.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:34 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
(...) we have a rookie in his third game showing up the defending Stanley Cup champs and Conn Smythe trophy winner, not as a team but for himself. (...)
But that is taking for granted that fact.

All I see is a player celebrating a goal scored less than 5 seconds before the end of the game, thus creating a point out of thin air for his team.

Don't take your interpretation of it as a proven fact.

That's arrogant and un-Canadian.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:43 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:

I'm sorry, but where was the game in question played? What country currently has the most players playing in the NHL?

Old
01-30-2013, 07:43 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post
But that is taking for granted that fact.

All I see is a player celebrating a goal scored less than 5 seconds before the end of the game, thus creating a point out of thin air for his team.

Don't take your interpretation of it as a proven fact.

That's arrogant and un-Canadian.
"...creating a point out of thin air for his team."

I have seen you write this somewhere else. Its dramatic effect is wearing off.

A point. BFD. Henderson scored the biggest goal in Canadian hockey history, maybe hockey history period, and he didn't do anything near what Yakuhotdog did.

I am not sure what you mean by my interpretation. If you mean the reason he did it, ask any player. Not some guy on a message board. A pro hockey player, and off the record, not on the record when there is a mike in their face. They will all tell you he same thing I have told you - he gets a pass on this one, but he should not do it again because it was too much. I actually know a guy on the Oilers team. What's your source?

Old
01-30-2013, 07:51 PM
jsykes

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
I'm sorry, but where was the game in question played? What country currently has the most players playing in the NHL?
I'm sorry, I still dont understand how that makes you think you have the right to tell a Russian how to celebrate his goal.

canada is not the king when it comes to hockey any longer...what color medal was it you won in the U20 world championship again?

Let the kid and those playing the game play it and enjoy it the way they want to. It gets old listening to canadians complaining about how the rest of the world is ruining "their" game.

Old
01-30-2013, 08:02 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
I'm sorry, I still dont understand how that makes you think you have the right to tell a Russian how to celebrate his goal.

canada is not the king when it comes to hockey any longer...what color medal was it you won in the U20 world championship again?

Let the kid and those playing the game play it and enjoy it the way they want to. It gets old listening to canadians complaining about how the rest of the world is ruining "their" game.
Okay, I agree with you.

The next time there is a World Cup of baseball (and I hope this game is played in Yankee Stadium), all of our Canadian players are to celebrate home runs against the US team by doing cartwheels around the bases. When they get to home, because of our winter culture, they should then lie on home base and make snow (dirt) angels, while laughing their butts off.

Hey, it's not the USA's sport anymore, it belongs to the world. So no Americans should have any issue with it. No players should care anymore, either. Hey, we're young. So no beanballs or dusting us off next time up!!

Plus, anyone complaining is just an angry old Alzheimer's patient with no heart.

Old
01-30-2013, 08:07 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
"...creating a point out of thin air for his team."

I have seen you write this somewhere else. Its dramatic effect is wearing off.

A point. BFD. Henderson scored the biggest goal in Canadian hockey history, maybe hockey history period, and he didn't do anything near what Yakuhotdog did.

I am not sure what you mean by my interpretation. If you mean the reason he did it, ask any player. Not some guy on a message board. A pro hockey player, and off the record, not on the record when there is a mike in their face. They will all tell you he same thing I have told you - he gets a pass on this one, but he should not do it again because it was too much. I actually know a guy on the Oilers team. What's your source?
"I actually know a guy on the Oilers team."

Very arrogant... and show-off.

Old
01-30-2013, 08:08 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
(...)

Plus, anyone complaining is just an angry old Alzheimer's patient with no heart.
Miracle, you're seeing the light...

Old
01-30-2013, 08:11 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post
"I actually know a guy on the Oilers team."

Very arrogant... and show-off.
Yeah. It is.

Hey, I name-drop Nick every chance I get. I like attention, just like Yakupov.

Old
01-30-2013, 08:13 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Yeah. It is.

Hey, I name-drop Nick every chance I get. I like attention, just like Yakupov.
You better watch out, someone might break your fingers next time you type...

Old
01-30-2013, 09:24 PM
nucks88

vCash: 1939
Quote:

nevermind!

Last edited by nucks88: 01-30-2013 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Tired of the kids!
Old
01-30-2013, 09:43 PM
nucks88

vCash: 1939
Quote:

I wasn't going to respond to your snotty reply but I just have to.
Last I noticed Don Cherry is broadcast between periods on a little show we like to call Hockey Night in Canada. Maybe you have heard of it? It has been around for awhile. It is a show produced by CANADIANS and broadcast across CANADA on a television network subsidized by the CANADIAN taxpayers. Don't like it please feel free not to watch it!

Old
01-31-2013, 12:01 AM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

Morris pissed at Yakupov celly

Cherry predicted it!

EDIT : or not

Last edited by Fire Lindy: 01-31-2013 at 12:12 AM.
Old
01-31-2013, 01:04 AM
StarsFan74

I was very offended by Chad Johnson's GTG celebration. He was telling all the Oilers fans in the audience to go fist themselves in "you know where." Tsk, tsk...!! Shame on Chad Johnson!

Oh btw, I'm sure Clown-in-chief was a-okay with this celebration by Sundin, but "thar he'll blow this Saturday night!"

Old
01-31-2013, 01:23 AM
Disgruntled Observer*

Quote:

Canadians living and playing in Russia should follow the Russian rules of etiquette.

Russians living and playing in Canada should follow te Canadian rules of etiquette.

It IS that simple.

I'm quite shocked that something so common sense would need to be explained to you.

Old
01-31-2013, 01:53 AM
StarsFan74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgruntled Observer View Post
Canadians living and playing in Russia should follow the Russian rules of etiquette.

Russians living and playing in Canada should follow te Canadian rules of etiquette.

It IS that simple.

I'm quite shocked that something so common sense would need to be explained to you.
OMG that is so hilarious!!! Maybe you should retro-actively remind the Summit Series Canadian team about etiquette in a foreign land when they went about swinging sticks at referees for bad calls or mocking their head-of-state by blowing kisses at him.

Etiquette-Schmettiquette.

Old
01-31-2013, 02:03 AM
Disgruntled Observer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsFan74 View Post
OMG that is so hilarious!!! Maybe you should retro-actively remind the Summit Series Canadian team about etiquette in a foreign land when they went about swinging sticks at referees for bad calls or mocking their head-of-state by blowing kisses at him.

Etiquette-Schmettiquette.
I said that Canadians living and playing in Russia should follow Russian rules of etiquette.

I am well aware that there are examples of Canadian players that don't follow this.
I have no idea what your point is.

Old
01-31-2013, 02:07 AM
Qrispy

Some of the stuff being said by certain "Canadians" in this thread is truly embarrassing. A big celebration to get the team and home crowd fired up is somehow bad? I'm paying for that kind of entertainment, so don't tell me how a player should or should not behave when he scores a big goal.

Old
01-31-2013, 02:12 AM
Disgruntled Observer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakuBOT View Post
Some of the stuff being said by certain "Canadians" in this thread is truly embarrassing. A big celebration to get the team and home crowd fired up is somehow bad? I'm paying for that kind of entertainment, so don't tell me how a player should or should not behave when he scores a big goal.
Well some I the players on the opposing team didn't like yaks celebration.

That's probably what matters most.
Most of those players are bigger and stronger than yakupov

So who gives a crap what you think.

Old
01-31-2013, 07:17 AM
Zine

Quote:
On one hand, we have a team celebrating a gold medal win at the Olympics, after everyone has left the arena.

On the other, we have a rookie in his third game showing up the defending Stanley Cup champs and Conn Smythe trophy winner, not as a team but for himself.

Some person used the phrase apples and oranges on this thread awhile back.

You are comparing apples and spray on hair.

Not even in the same universe, but good for a laugh.

PS - there actually was a controversy in Canada over this, if you remember. So I think you unwittingly proved my point, even though your comparison failed horribly.

Disagree.

A small minority of Canadians had issues with the women's unconventional and over-the-top celebration. Same goes for jersey 'crest tugging' that Canadians constantly do.

Values and norms are constantly changing my friend. To claim that Canadian hockey embodies and conducts itself according to the "traditionalist way" is a gross oversimplification.

It's the small but very vocal contingent of Don Cherry-like individuals who keep reinforcing the stereotype that Hockey Canada is culturally stuck in the 1950s. In fact, it's quite evident even here on HFBoard.

Last edited by Zine: 01-31-2013 at 07:26 AM.
Closed Thread