HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Don Cherry & the Coach's Corner season 2013

Closed Thread

Old
01-31-2013, 07:14 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
I'm sorry, but where was the game in question played? What country currently has the most players playing in the NHL?
And look at how all the people in the audience where the game was played showed their disapproval!

Old
01-31-2013, 07:42 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsykes View Post
I'm sorry, I still dont understand how that makes you think you have the right to tell a Russian how to celebrate his goal.

canada is not the king when it comes to hockey any longer...what color medal was it you won in the U20 world championship again?

Let the kid and those playing the game play it and enjoy it the way they want to. It gets old listening to canadians complaining about how the rest of the world is ruining "their" game.
First off, I am not Canadian. I am American. What color did I win? Nothing, I wasn't on the team. Secondly, Canada is the king when it comes to hockey, just like the US is the king when it comes to football and basketball. Look at the NHL draft every year. What country gets the most players drafted? Look at the rosters of the NHL. What country is represented most?

Secondly, if countries could field mutliple teams in the WJC, Olympics, World Cup, Canada's B, and C squad would be medal contenders. Not the case for other countries. I don't count the World Championships, because nobody in North America pays attention to that tournament. In most cases, the best Americans and Canadians are not playing.

Old
01-31-2013, 07:43 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
And look at how all the people in the audience where the game was played showed their disapproval!
Uhm, they were excited because their team had just tied the game after they had what they thought was the game-tying goal waived off.

Old
01-31-2013, 07:49 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Uhm, they were excited because their team had just tied the game after they had what they thought was the game-tying goal waived off.
Exactly, and the celebration fit perfectly with the energy in the arena and the feeling of the fans.

It's yet another point against these attempts to create specious "European etiquette vs. Canadian etiquette" dichotomies by Cherry's fans, arrogantly acting as if they speak for all Canadians.

Old
01-31-2013, 07:51 AM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post
Disagree.

A small minority of Canadians had issues with the women's unconventional and over-the-top celebration. Same goes for jersey 'crest tugging' that Canadians constantly do.

Values and norms are constantly changing my friend. To claim that Canadian hockey embodies and conducts itself according to the "traditionalist way" is a gross oversimplification.

It's the small but very vocal contingent of Don Cherry-like individuals who keep reinforcing the stereotype that Hockey Canada is culturally stuck in the 1950s. In fact, it's quite evident even here on HFBoard.
I'll just respond to this last statement.

You are correct that some of us are the minority on this board. But here is some very important info for you: this board is nowhere near a representation of what is actually the mindset of hockey people across Canada. Not even close.

For example, the most popular player on this board is Pavel Datsyuk. If you go to 1000 rinks across the prairies, I would challenge you to find one person who would pick Pavel Datsyuk as their favourite NHL hockey player. I am not saying ask 1000 board members from the prairies...I am talking about people who actually spend significant time in hockey arenas, and not in their homes typing messages to other guys in their homes typing messages.

I have been both, the guy in the rink and the guy on the keyboard. I am guessing a huge number of members have been only one.

Not too many weeks ago, there was a thread that asked something to the effect of "What was a common misconception you used to have about hockey?"....something like that.

Guys were responding stuff like "I thought off-side meant you had to go off to the side of the ice" or "Icing was called by the goalies", etc.

People in the real world, in rinks across Canada, would do nothing but at that entire thread and 90% of the stuff written by casual hockey fans/message board hounds on this board.

Stop thinking you are so above guys like me and others who hold traditional values of the game sacred. We are grassroots hockey, and we are the ones who have actually been out in it for years. I understand that there are a lot of fans on here who are also NHL fans, but have no idea about grassroots hockey. I get that. I am like that for basketball. I have been a fan since the Raptors came into the league, but I have seen only a handful of amateur games in my life. I would never go to a basketball message board and start spouting off about how the game is changing and how the traditions suck and all of the old dinosaurs need to get out of it. I do not feel like it is MY game. It isn't my game (even though a Canadian invented it).

When it comes to hockey, I am about 50/50 amateur/NHL. It is not in the NHL where I go to find my grassroots hockey. That is the show - the glitz. But it is not where the sport's traditions are upkept. Not by a long shot.

Last edited by fly4apuckguy: 01-31-2013 at 07:59 AM.
Old
01-31-2013, 07:54 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Exactly, and the celebration fit perfectly with the energy in the arena and the feeling of the fans.

It's yet another point against these attempts to create specious "European etiquette vs. Canadian etiquette" dichotomies by Cherry's fans, arrogantly acting as if they speak for all Canadians.
That wasn't my point. My point the whole time has been yakupov wanted the attention for HIMSELF with how he skated away from his teammates while they were trying to celebrate with him. That is why it is hot-dogging and childish in my opinion. Fans in that situation would have gone just as nuts in the stands in any arena when their team ties the game with 5 seconds left, and they do not need the goal scorer to act like yakupov acted in order to get excited. If they need an over-the-top celebration to get themselves pumped up, then that tells me it is not a very good or eduated fan base.

Basically, his actions caused the story to be about the celebration and not the come from behind win.

Last edited by patnyrnyg: 01-31-2013 at 08:05 AM.
Old
01-31-2013, 08:11 AM
BobDobolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
Stop thinking you are so above guys like me and others who hold traditional values of the game sacred. We are grassroots hockey, and we are the ones who have actually been out in it for years. I understand that there are a lot of fans on here who are also NHL fans, but have no idea about grassroots hockey.
I could say the same to you. Stop thinking that you are the only one in here who is or has been involved in hockey. You could make the exact same argument for people who embrace things that you despise so much, they are grassroots hockey and the ones who have been involved in it for years.

So get off your high horse and stop speaking for other people.

Old
01-31-2013, 08:14 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
That wasn't my point. My point the whole time has been yakupov wanted the attention for HIMSELF with how he skated away from his teammates while they were trying to celebrate with him. That is why it is hot-dogging and childish in my opinion. Fans in that situation would have gone just as nuts in the stands in any arena when their team ties the game with 5 seconds left, and they do not need the goal scorer to act like yakupov acted in order to get excited. If they need an over-the-top celebration to get themselves pumped up, then that tells me it is not a very good or eduated fan base.

Basically, his actions caused the story to be about the celebration and not the come from behind win.
Just to be clear, I'm not saying you can't personally take issue with the celebration (although I may personally disagree with your interpretation of it). I'm taking issue with the claims made by some in this thread that feelings regarding it must fall into neat little nationalistic stereotype bubbles, the sort that Cherry loves to perpetuate.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:23 AM
patnyrnyg

As some have aluded to, this is a league based in North America. As they say, "When in Rome...."

Four years ago, I went to Prague. Went to see Slavia Praha play Kladno at the O2 arena. Slavia won, and after the game lined up on the blue line and then started to slide and do other stuff on the ice towards the end where most of the fans were sitting. Apparently, it is a custom in Europe to do this type of thing. How would people react if a player from the US or Canada were playing for Slavia and refused to participate? If they said something like, "this is not how we do things where I am from?" Pretty sure the reaction wouldn't be positive.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:27 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
As some have aluded to, this is a league based in North America. As they say, "When in Rome...."

Four years ago, I went to Prague. Went to see Slavia Praha play Kladno at the O2 arena. Slavia won, and after the game lined up on the blue line and then started to slide and do other stuff on the ice towards the end where most of the fans were sitting. Apparently, it is a custom in Europe to do this type of thing. How would people react if a player from the US or Canada were playing for Slavia and refused to participate? If they said something like, "this is not how we do things where I am from?" Pretty sure the reaction wouldn't be positive.
It's like you aren't even paying attention to what people are posting.

Is it your contention that no North American players ever celebrate in the same manner as Yakupov?

Old
01-31-2013, 09:31 AM
patnyrnyg

No. Are YOU paying attention? Several people on here have made the claim that Canadians shouldn't tell Russians how to celebrate and how in Europe the celebrations for a goal are even more over the top, and it is just part of the culture where Yakupov grew up. Comment was directed towards those people.

I said earlier in the thread, I hated how Kane tried to skate on his own after scoring the Cup winning goal in 2010.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:39 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Nobody should be telling anybody how to celebrate.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:05 AM
tacogeoff

vCash: 460
Quote:
Exactly. The fans are paying to be entertained. Yak entertained them thoroughly. I cannot understand all the negativity towards a player due to celebrating a goal. If the kings feel disrespected....well play harder and win next time. Oh well guess I'm not stuck in the old ways of hockey..just my avi..thank god.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:31 AM
jsykes

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
Okay, I agree with you.

The next time there is a World Cup of baseball (and I hope this game is played in Yankee Stadium), all of our Canadian players are to celebrate home runs against the US team by doing cartwheels around the bases. When they get to home, because of our winter culture, they should then lie on home base and make snow (dirt) angels, while laughing their butts off.

Hey, it's not the USA's sport anymore, it belongs to the world. So no Americans should have any issue with it. No players should care anymore, either. Hey, we're young. So no beanballs or dusting us off next time up!!

Plus, anyone complaining is just an angry old Alzheimer's patient with no heart.
Sure, do what you want to do. Celebrate the way YOU want to celebrate. I dont claim to have any right to be able to tell YOU how to do anything.

Its one of the rights we hold dear, the right to free speech.

You can like it or not, that is your choice, but you cant impose your beliefs and thoughts on others regardless of their nationality.

It just seems however that canadians feel they have the right to do this since its like hockey is their entire identity and they're scared with the fact that other countries are diluting that.

Yes, canada still has the most players of any one country, but its now only about half of the league is canadians. I think people are scared thats taking away their identity.

People are devastated when canada doesnt win an international tournament, Cherry is crying about how players from other countries are being developed in the chl and its not allowing the canadians to dominate international hockey any longer and the absolute hate and distaste that spouts from the mouths of canadian commentators is just sickening.

My point is, its not only your game any more. The rest of the world is catching up and the last four years of the U20 worlds has shown just that. I think this scares many canadians because, God forbid, other countries continue to win and take charge, what will they have left, canadian football?

And yes, I'm being snide and I'm being a jerk, but its getting really old about how snotty canadians have been about other countries infiltrating "their" game.

Let people be. You can not like it, but going on national tv and bashing a 20 year old kid about the way he celebrates a goal is just low and petty. Last night he scored the winning goal and motioned for all his teammates to come over and celebrate with him and he was getting bashed for that too. What do you guys want? When he celebrates by himself he's bashed, when he motions to celebrate with teammates, he's bashed.

Its seems you're just pissed that anyone other than a canadian can succeed in this game, especially if they're having fun doing it.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:45 AM
patnyrnyg

Wow, you are bringing freedom of speech into this? Give me a break, nobody is saying he should be arrested for it. But, like someone said earlier in the thread, where was the "Freedom of Speech" police when Avery was penalized for what he said about Phaneuf? Oh right, freedom of speech doesn't apply when you say something people deem un-PC.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:25 PM
Zine

Quote:
Wow, you are bringing freedom of speech into this? Give me a break, nobody is saying he should be arrested for it. But, like someone said earlier in the thread, where was the "Freedom of Speech" police when Avery was penalized for what he said about Phaneuf? Oh right, freedom of speech doesn't apply when you say something people deem un-PC.
Nothing to do with PC.

Making derogatory sexual comments about someone to the media isn't free speech, it borderlines on slander. The Avery situation is a world of difference from an on-ice celebration that some perceive to be a violation of the 'hockey code'.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:50 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post
Nothing to do with PC.

Making derogatory sexual comments about someone to the media isn't free speech, it borderlines on slander. The Avery situation is a world of difference from an on-ice celebration that some perceive to be a violation of the 'hockey code'.
free speech is free speech. just because it is insulting, doesn't mean he can't say it. It would be libel/slander if the girl in question was never Avery's girlfriend. But if you don't like me using "PC", then fine. I will change it, "free speech only counts when you saying something nice."

Old
01-31-2013, 01:02 PM
ViD

So will Cherry say that Morris was actually trying to get to Yak and teach him the hockey manners?

Old
01-31-2013, 01:07 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViD View Post
So will Cherry say that Morris was actually trying to get to Yak and teach him the hockey manners?
Cheery misrepresent a situation to suit his own agenda? Never!

Old
01-31-2013, 02:46 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Nobody should be telling anybody how to celebrate.
Luiz Suarez likes this.

Old
01-31-2013, 02:47 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViD View Post
Only for Ron to correct him and Don to ignore that.

Old
01-31-2013, 02:57 PM
Mr Kanadensisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekoh View Post
Well if you despise and hate other sporting cultures surely that makes your opinion about what is a respectful way to conduct one's self and what isn't a very authoritative one?
I almost fell off my seat when I read this one. I can honestly say that you have the biggest chip on your shoulder about anything to do with North America. Talk about calling the kettle black.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:21 PM
Dave Karp

What I don't quite understand is why people feel the need to call people "dinosaurs" for believing in a certain code and/or liking "old school" hockey?

What's wrong with it? Cherry called him out for his celebration, said the Kings were disrespected and then gave story in an attempt to give credence to his point. He doesn't like over-the-top celebrations, neither do I.

People just like to make a mountain out of any molehill. Yakupov's Russian so anything negative automatically means that he's a xenophobe. Anyone want to point out that the goalie he was defending was American? Guess he must love those Americans.

Cherry likes what he likes. We all have a view on how we want this game to be played. People who speak up for him on here are in the minority and it's become "popular" to go against him. I truly don't get the hostility and divisiveness that he causes.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:57 PM
BobDobolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Karp View Post
What's wrong with it? Cherry called him out for his celebration, said the Kings were disrespected and then gave story in an attempt to give credence to his point. He doesn't like over-the-top celebrations, neither do I.
My problem is he very unfairly and without any proof claimed a 19yo kid was mocking the other teams goalie and called him an idiot. It's more about such general attitudes than about him specifically, if he was the only one saying these things then I wouldn't bother.

Old
01-31-2013, 04:11 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucks88 View Post
I wasn't going to respond to your snotty reply but I just have to.
Last I noticed Don Cherry is broadcast between periods on a little show we like to call Hockey Night in Canada. Maybe you have heard of it? It has been around for awhile. It is a show produced by CANADIANS and broadcast across CANADA on a television network subsidized by the CANADIAN taxpayers. Don't like it please feel free not to watch it!
And again with the mutual admiration society.

Damned be the discussion Board.

Closed Thread