HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Don Cherry & the Coach's Corner season 2013

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-20-2013, 01:46 AM
  #151
le_sean
Registered User
 
le_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 15,078
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keva Rosenberg View Post
Burke
It's Coach's Corner, not American Lawyer's Corner.

le_sean is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 03:47 AM
  #152
Dosing
Registered User
 
Dosing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ivösjön
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,358
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
Canadian insecurity....hmmm...and yet you feel the need to watch in order to insult whatever it is he says because it somehow makes you feel bad.

You defined insecurity by making that post and awkward laughing smiley.
You think i haven't heard others who are like cherry? You cant let those kind of people make you feel bad. I was just looking for a laugh and a laugh i got. All you'd need would be a little self-insight and a simple grasp on human psychology and you would get the joke to. And thanks for unknowingly proving my point

Dosing is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 04:27 AM
  #153
BobDobolina
Registered User
 
BobDobolina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,440
vCash: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Well, there he goes again. Americans and Euros wimpy, Canadians tough.

And he was doing so well, too.
Well of course he does, it's all part of his shtick and has been for 30 or so years now. My problem is with the simpletons who take his stuff seriously or even share his ignorant and hateful views like the Crosby fan from Saskatchewan here.

BobDobolina is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 05:40 AM
  #154
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK
 
legendinblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 6,079
vCash: 50
If you missed it...


legendinblue is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 06:30 AM
  #155
PanthersPens62
#KidK
 
PanthersPens62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Miami
Country: United States
Posts: 6,944
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDobolina View Post
Well of course he does, it's all part of his shtick and has been for 30 or so years now. My problem is with the simpletons who take his stuff seriously or even share his ignorant and hateful views like the Crosby fan from Saskatchewan here.
Exactly. I agree with some things he says but not every single thing that comes out of his mouth. The main reason I enjoy Coaches Corner is because it is ENTERTAINING. I have yet to understand why those people who hate him so much continue to watch.

PanthersPens62 is online now  
Old
01-20-2013, 06:49 AM
  #156
toewsintangibles
Registered User
 
toewsintangibles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,324
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersPens62 View Post
Exactly. I agree with some things he says but not every single thing that comes out of his mouth. The main reason I enjoy Coaches Corner is because it is ENTERTAINING. I have yet to understand why those people who hate him so much continue to watch.
Maybe part of the fun is to bash him on the forums?

toewsintangibles is online now  
Old
01-20-2013, 06:53 AM
  #157
Paxton Fettel
Registered User
 
Paxton Fettel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 6,180
vCash: 500
Burke failed because he got all those Swedes and Finns! He should've gotten some Russians!!!

Paxton Fettel is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 07:49 AM
  #158
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!
 
MetalheadPenguinsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,050
vCash: 50
Never thought I'd say this in my life but....

Grapes had a pretty nice suit on last night.


Man do I feel dirty for saying this.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 08:22 AM
  #159
4ORRBRUIN
Registered User
 
4ORRBRUIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: boston
Country: United States
Posts: 2,853
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton Fettel View Post
Burke failed because he got all those Swedes and Finns! He should've gotten some Russians!!!
Or Canadians that can play. Cherry is a tool and a racist, period. He does Canada proud Guy would be fired years ago for his constant racist banter, its old, Canadians are tough everyone else is weak and cant play the game bla bla bla but we know Canadians love there hockey.

This guy could run for P.M. and probably win.

4ORRBRUIN is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 10:03 AM
  #160
puckguy11
This Space for Rent
 
puckguy11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Somewhere in MN
Country: United States
Posts: 2,181
vCash: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersPens62 View Post
Exactly. I agree with some things he says but not every single thing that comes out of his mouth. The main reason I enjoy Coaches Corner is because it is ENTERTAINING. I have yet to understand why those people who hate him so much continue to watch.
People know they can do other things during the intermission, right? Last night's struck close to home as college players are now lumped with Euros on Grapes' vent list and I'm a big college hockey fan having covered one for 4 seasons. Am I writing a complaint e-mail to CBC this morning? No, because I do agree with him on other things from last night, namely Kahdri.

puckguy11 is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 10:08 AM
  #161
Roof Daddy
Registered User
 
Roof Daddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 7,578
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by black charger View Post
No "Billy Bob's"on the team is part of the reason Canada did poorly.
Why, did some Russians take roster spots on Team Canada as well? I think you best re-read my comment. If I'm paying 25 bucks for a ticket to a CHL game, I'd be a little disappointed if they scratched Yakupov to dress Timmy from down the street because Don Cherry said that's how it should be. As another poster mentioned, having these talented imports actually raises the level of competition, making it a better league and thus better development for the Canadian kids. It also means more scouts coming to CHL arenas (as opposed to traveling all over Europe), which could lead to an otherwise unknown player possibly catching the eyes of a few scouts thanks to more of them in the stands/multiple viewings looking at a Euro talent.

You'd be hard pressed to point out a negative to bringing in imports.

Roof Daddy is online now  
Old
01-20-2013, 10:23 AM
  #162
Roof Daddy
Registered User
 
Roof Daddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 7,578
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
First, you can't compare pro hockey to junior development. There is no correlation.
Oh really? Lets try a hypothetical on for size then. You are a 17yr old German/Swiss phenom. Thanks to the Don Cherry rule, you aren't allowed to play in the CHL. Your country's respective junior league doesn't have the greatest level of competition and scouts would prefer to see you against stronger competition. This might be possible in your country's professional league, except there are 6 or 7 Canadians playing on each team who were never good enough for the NHL, but have made a nice living playing in Europe. Thus you will only get 4th line ice-time and be unable to give scouts a proper look.

There's your correlation.

Roof Daddy is online now  
Old
01-20-2013, 10:26 AM
  #163
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 21,786
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ORRBRUIN View Post
Or Canadians that can play. Cherry is a tool and a racist, period. He does Canada proud Guy would be fired years ago for his constant racist banter, its old, Canadians are tough everyone else is weak and cant play the game bla bla bla but we know Canadians love there hockey.

This guy could run for P.M. and probably win.
And you call yourself a Bruins?

Kimota is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 10:46 AM
  #164
Timmy
Registered User
 
Timmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,729
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
If I'm paying 25 bucks for a ticket to a CHL game, I'd be a little disappointed if they scratched Yakupov to dress Timmy from down the street because Don Cherry said that's how it should be.
They did call but I was a bit drunk and when I told them I didn't get out of bed for less than 100k per game I think they hung up.

Timmy is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 11:05 AM
  #165
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School
 
fly4apuckguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,117
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
Oh really? Lets try a hypothetical on for size then. You are a 17yr old German/Swiss phenom. Thanks to the Don Cherry rule, you aren't allowed to play in the CHL. Your country's respective junior league doesn't have the greatest level of competition and scouts would prefer to see you against stronger competition. This might be possible in your country's professional league, except there are 6 or 7 Canadians playing on each team who were never good enough for the NHL, but have made a nice living playing in Europe. Thus you will only get 4th line ice-time and be unable to give scouts a proper look.

There's your correlation.
First of all, that phenom has never existed, so we might as well be making up stories about how Martians are not playing in the CHL, too.

Second, if he is good enough, someone will find him to play in the NHL. If he doesn't develop into a pro because he never got a shot...well, there are probably a couple of million Canadian boys who think they just didn't get the right chance either (probably half the guys on this board, me included). Truth is we were just not good enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
Why, did some Russians take roster spots on Team Canada as well? I think you best re-read my comment. If I'm paying 25 bucks for a ticket to a CHL game, I'd be a little disappointed if they scratched Yakupov to dress Timmy from down the street because Don Cherry said that's how it should be. As another poster mentioned, having these talented imports actually raises the level of competition, making it a better league and thus better development for the Canadian kids. It also means more scouts coming to CHL arenas (as opposed to traveling all over Europe), which could lead to an otherwise unknown player possibly catching the eyes of a few scouts thanks to more of them in the stands/multiple viewings looking at a Euro talent.

You'd be hard pressed to point out a negative to bringing in imports.
I actually agree with the bolded statement, but you probably don't have a son trying to "make it". If you did, you likely would not be so glib about someone from the Czech Republic taking your boy's spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
They did call but I was a bit drunk and when I told them I didn't get out of bed for less than 100k per game I think they hung up.
Classic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dosing View Post
You think i haven't heard others who are like cherry? You cant let those kind of people make you feel bad. I was just looking for a laugh and a laugh i got. All you'd need would be a little self-insight and a simple grasp on human psychology and you would get the joke to. And thanks for unknowingly proving my point
Looking for a laugh? And you didn't like my ABBA comment? Come on, I think that was pretty funny.


Last edited by fly4apuckguy: 01-20-2013 at 11:10 AM.
fly4apuckguy is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 11:13 AM
  #166
Gnashville
Never trade Weber
 
Gnashville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 4,535
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ORRBRUIN View Post
Or Canadians that can play. Cherry is a tool and a racist, period. He does Canada proud Guy would be fired years ago for his constant racist banter, its old, Canadians are tough everyone else is weak and cant play the game bla bla bla but we know Canadians love there hockey.

This guy could run for P.M. and probably win.
In all fairness he has all went after French Canadians in the past. So Don Cherry wants a league without Euro's, Americans, French, or anyone else he doesn't like

Gnashville is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 11:38 AM
  #167
Jussi
I am siege face
 
Jussi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 43,994
vCash: 612
What did he say during the Canucks-Ducks game? Can't find video of that online.

Jussi is online now  
Old
01-20-2013, 11:39 AM
  #168
Epsilon
#TeamHolland
 
Epsilon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Florence, SC
Posts: 36,006
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
In all fairness he has all went after French Canadians in the past. So Don Cherry wants a league without Euro's, Americans, French, or anyone else he doesn't like
Hockey is the only sport where not only is it tolerated for media members to make negative comments about groups of players based on nationality or ethnic stereotypes, but they are actually lauded for it by a significant portion of the fanbase. Rob Parker got tarred, feathered, and fired by ESPN for calling RG3 a "cornball brother", but Cherry and Milbury get to spew their crap every week on national tv and have people fawning over them.

Epsilon is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 11:40 AM
  #169
Roof Daddy
Registered User
 
Roof Daddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 7,578
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
First of all, that phenom has never existed, so we might as well be making up stories about how Martians are not playing in the CHL, too.

Second, if he is good enough, someone will find him to play in the NHL.

I actually agree with the bolded statement, but you probably don't have a son trying to "make it". If you did, you likely would not be so glib about someone from the Czech Republic taking your boy's spot.
Are you saying there has never been a good German/Swiss prospect? Niederreiter, Baertschi and Reider come to mind most recently. All have played in the CHL, and by doing so have improved their draft stock. Is Niederreiter a top 5 pick if he plays in a Swiss junior league? If he gets 4th line minutes playing for HC Davos?


The second and third statements I quoted are complete contradictions. I see Cherry has trained you well.

Roof Daddy is online now  
Old
01-20-2013, 11:42 AM
  #170
Unlimited Chequing
Hangin' in the dome
 
Unlimited Chequing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Calgary, Alberta, CA
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,394
vCash: 5001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keva Rosenberg View Post
Burke
Only if it can be broadcasted from a rented barn.

Unlimited Chequing is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 02:22 PM
  #171
Swedish playmaker*
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Stockholm
Country: Sweden
Posts: 821
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
You must be a riot at parties.

Go listen to an ABBA CD and calm down already. The guy is a TV commentator, not the leader of the free world.

And stop disrespecting older people. You are mad at Cherry for being rude, and then you make a bunch of insulting comments about old people. Classy.

PS - the use of the naz-word in describing anyone, especialy a guy who is such a supporter of Canada's troops who bring peace to a lot of people in this world is pretty horrible behavior.
Since when are old people an ethnic group?

Just because he's old and on TV doesn't give him the right to be a full blood racist.

Swedish playmaker* is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 02:43 PM
  #172
stish
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Where I Am
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,901
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dosing View Post
lol cherry comforting the famous canadian insecurity to make people accept his other opinions... old fashioned rhetoric and so predictable
I don't think you know too much about Canadians. Canadians are not "insecure" anymore.

stish is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 02:45 PM
  #173
toewsintangibles
Registered User
 
toewsintangibles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,324
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
Hockey is the only sport where not only is it tolerated for media members to make negative comments about groups of players based on nationality or ethnic stereotypes, but they are actually lauded for it by a significant portion of the fanbase. Rob Parker got tarred, feathered, and fired by ESPN for calling RG3 a "cornball brother", but Cherry and Milbury get to spew their crap every week on national tv and have people fawning over them.
I don't think even Cherry dares to go after black players, who are regarded as more diverse to the US than guys born in Kazakstan, USSR for example

toewsintangibles is online now  
Old
01-20-2013, 02:49 PM
  #174
stish
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Where I Am
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,901
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahah View Post
Since when are old people an ethnic group?

Just because he's old and on TV doesn't give him the right to be a full blood racist.
What "race" was he degrading? If you don't know what racism is don't call someone out for mistaking old people as an ethnic group.

stish is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 02:57 PM
  #175
4ORRBRUIN
Registered User
 
4ORRBRUIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: boston
Country: United States
Posts: 2,853
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
And you call yourself a Bruins?
No, I call myself an american, just tired of him pissing on everything not canadian, guy needs to come to grips with reality of hockey in 2013

Canada is the leader in hockey no doubt, But other countries are close especially the U.S. He ***** on collegian hockey but guess what donnie boy there is over 300 in the league today.

Guys out to lunch.

4ORRBRUIN is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:29 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.