HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Don Cherry & the Coach's Corner season 2013

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-20-2013, 03:03 PM
  #176
Swedish playmaker*
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Stockholm
Country: Sweden
Posts: 821
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stish View Post
What "race" was he degrading? If you don't know what racism is don't call someone out for mistaking old people as an ethnic group.
He's degrading Swedes, Finns, Russians etc purely based on their nationality. Call it whatever you want, fanboy.

Swedish playmaker* is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 03:26 PM
  #177
Dosing
Registered User
 
Dosing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ivösjön
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,338
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stish View Post
I don't think you know too much about Canadians. Canadians are not "insecure" anymore.
Just like finland, danmark and norway have been in sweden's shadows for ages canada have been in usa's shadow. It leaves it's marks... just look at don cherry and his fans lol

And take a look at most international tournament taking place, swedes and americans always seem to get along much like finns and canadians does. We relate to and like those who are similar to us.

Dosing is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 03:42 PM
  #178
Noob616
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,356
vCash: 500
Cherry was back to his typical xenophobic self last night. As if Kessel, Bozak, and Gardiner are the problem with the Leafs. And who are these "Finns and Swedes" he's going on about?

Noob616 is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 03:45 PM
  #179
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School
 
fly4apuckguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,117
vCash: 500
There is probably a way to explain all of this, but I doubt that it will be accepted for the very same reason it can't be understood by people outside of the borders of this country, specifically anyone who is not an English-speaking Canadian.

It's a joke.

If you don't get it, it is because you are not in on it and can't understand the farce.

I was watching an African American comedian on the Comedy Network the other night, making jokes and laughing at the stereotypes of white people (nerdy, dress funny, can't dance, etc.).

I suppose I could have been enraged, because I think I am a pretty snappy dresser and I think I dance pretty well. There are lots of white people that dance well. I guess that comedian is a racist.

No he's not. He's casting a mirror on our stereotypes (some which are borne out of truth, let's be honest), and getting me to watch and think about the whole idea of stereotypes and why we have them.

Cherry does the same when he brings up hockey players from abroad. Are all Swedes soft? Of course not, and he knows that. Are all Russians heartless? Of course not, and he knows that.

But as Canadians, there is some part of us that possibly wants that to be true, and Don exploits it for entertainment. Does that mean we are insecure? I don't know, maybe we are when it comes to hockey. If that is your criticism of us, then I guess it is valid, especially my generation. We were raised on the belief that we were the best hockey nation by a mile and that the Russians were coming to kill us someday. It was crazy, but that is what we thought.

But I also know that we are likely the most accepting society on the planet, ready to make friends and be open to your culture and everything you bring to our country.

Cherry isn't racist. He's not a misogynist, and he is not an old fool. He is a brilliant entertainer who has obviously struck a chord with people for a long, long time.

The mere fact that he gets so many people upset is proof of that. And what's even more, for all of you out there hating on him....you seem to care. A lot. Maybe even more than his fans.

You are the very reason he continues to be successful. So thank you.

fly4apuckguy is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 04:07 PM
  #180
Bi Coastal Bawse*
RIP Sam Berns
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bay Area, California
Country: United States
Posts: 10,281
vCash: 500
Watching the other guys face when Cherry is talking is hilarious

Bi Coastal Bawse* is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 04:09 PM
  #181
PanthersPens62
#KidK
 
PanthersPens62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Miami
Country: United States
Posts: 6,744
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
There is probably a way to explain all of this, but I doubt that it will be accepted for the very same reason it can't be understood by people outside of the borders of this country, specifically anyone who is not an English-speaking Canadian.

It's a joke.

If you don't get it, it is because you are not in on it and can't understand the farce.

I was watching an African American comedian on the Comedy Network the other night, making jokes and laughing at the stereotypes of white people (nerdy, dress funny, can't dance, etc.).

I suppose I could have been enraged, because I think I am a pretty snappy dresser and I think I dance pretty well. There are lots of white people that dance well. I guess that comedian is a racist.

No he's not. He's casting a mirror on our stereotypes (some which are borne out of truth, let's be honest), and getting me to watch and think about the whole idea of stereotypes and why we have them.

Cherry does the same when he brings up hockey players from abroad. Are all Swedes soft? Of course not, and he knows that. Are all Russians heartless? Of course not, and he knows that.

But as Canadians, there is some part of us that possibly wants that to be true, and Don exploits it for entertainment. Does that mean we are insecure? I don't know, maybe we are when it comes to hockey. If that is your criticism of us, then I guess it is valid, especially my generation. We were raised on the belief that we were the best hockey nation by a mile and that the Russians were coming to kill us someday. It was crazy, but that is what we thought.

But I also know that we are likely the most accepting society on the planet, ready to make friends and be open to your culture and everything you bring to our country.

Cherry isn't racist. He's not a misogynist, and he is not an old fool. He is a brilliant entertainer who has obviously struck a chord with people for a long, long time.

The mere fact that he gets so many people upset is proof of that. And what's even more, for all of you out there hating on him....you seem to care. A lot. Maybe even more than his fans.

You are the very reason he continues to be successful. So thank you.
Beautiful post. I could not agree more.

PanthersPens62 is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 04:44 PM
  #182
Shanahanigans
Registered User
 
Shanahanigans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,503
vCash: 500
Why do people even analyze Cherry like he`s some sort of analytical thinker who brings up thought provoking discussion points. The man is loud, obnoxious, and entertaining. And I like that.

Shanahanigans is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 05:22 PM
  #183
black charger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: GTA
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
Why, did some Russians take roster spots on Team Canada as well? I think you best re-read my comment. If I'm paying 25 bucks for a ticket to a CHL game, I'd be a little disappointed if they scratched Yakupov to dress Timmy from down the street because Don Cherry said that's how it should be. As another poster mentioned, having these talented imports actually raises the level of competition, making it a better league and thus better development for the Canadian kids. It also means more scouts coming to CHL arenas (as opposed to traveling all over Europe), which could lead to an otherwise unknown player possibly catching the eyes of a few scouts thanks to more of them in the stands/multiple viewings looking at a Euro talent.

You'd be hard pressed to point out a negative to bringing in imports.


Yes it does increase the level of competition.The negative I see is that mostly star junior players come here to play,thereby,the non-imports look like lesser players,lowering their draft spot and increasing the import players draft spot.

black charger is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 05:38 PM
  #184
Eytinge
Registered User
 
Eytinge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 10,780
vCash: 500
Anyone have any video of the second coach's corner during the Nucks game?

Eytinge is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 05:56 PM
  #185
candyman82
Registered User
 
candyman82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 2,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by black charger View Post
Yes it does increase the level of competition.The negative I see is that mostly star junior players come here to play,thereby,the non-imports look like lesser players,lowering their draft spot and increasing the import players draft spot.
Do you mean European's who don't come over?

candyman82 is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 06:01 PM
  #186
Sigh
Snowflake
 
Sigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,606
vCash: 1415
Cherry is good for the postcount though, amirite? Same ol' whiners, same ol' posts.

Sigh is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 06:42 PM
  #187
Mansfield
possession obsession
 
Mansfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,817
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
There is probably a way to explain all of this, but I doubt that it will be accepted for the very same reason it can't be understood by people outside of the borders of this country, specifically anyone who is not an English-speaking Canadian.

It's a joke.

If you don't get it, it is because you are not in on it and can't understand the farce.

I was watching an African American comedian on the Comedy Network the other night, making jokes and laughing at the stereotypes of white people (nerdy, dress funny, can't dance, etc.).

I suppose I could have been enraged, because I think I am a pretty snappy dresser and I think I dance pretty well. There are lots of white people that dance well. I guess that comedian is a racist.

No he's not. He's casting a mirror on our stereotypes (some which are borne out of truth, let's be honest), and getting me to watch and think about the whole idea of stereotypes and why we have them.

Cherry does the same when he brings up hockey players from abroad. Are all Swedes soft? Of course not, and he knows that. Are all Russians heartless? Of course not, and he knows that.

But as Canadians, there is some part of us that possibly wants that to be true, and Don exploits it for entertainment. Does that mean we are insecure? I don't know, maybe we are when it comes to hockey. If that is your criticism of us, then I guess it is valid, especially my generation. We were raised on the belief that we were the best hockey nation by a mile and that the Russians were coming to kill us someday. It was crazy, but that is what we thought.

But I also know that we are likely the most accepting society on the planet, ready to make friends and be open to your culture and everything you bring to our country.

Cherry isn't racist. He's not a misogynist, and he is not an old fool. He is a brilliant entertainer who has obviously struck a chord with people for a long, long time.

The mere fact that he gets so many people upset is proof of that. And what's even more, for all of you out there hating on him....you seem to care. A lot. Maybe even more than his fans.

You are the very reason he continues to be successful. So thank you.
/thread, me likey

Mansfield is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 07:02 PM
  #188
Jussi
I am siege face
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 42,297
vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigh View Post
Cherry is good for the postcount though, amirite? Same ol' whiners, same ol' posts.
The purpose of this thread was to discuss the things he says on each week's CC, not so much about the man himself since just about everything has been said several times before in multiple threads.

Jussi is online now  
Old
01-20-2013, 07:16 PM
  #189
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
Amazing how many people still cry about Cherry.

I agree with about 50 percent of what Don has to say. I appreciate the way he "articulates" the things I agree with.
I appreciate his voice on the things I disagree with.

I'm am a big time lefty and totally opposed Don Cherry's right-wing authoritarian bent... but I am sick of the politically correct whining constantly associated with Cherry,

RedWingsNow* is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 07:26 PM
  #190
Epsilon
#TeamHolland
 
Epsilon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Florence, SC
Posts: 35,476
vCash: 500
Coach's Corner is basically just a troll show, it's a shorter version of First Take or PTI except on those shows the hosts actually argue with each other.

Epsilon is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 09:44 PM
  #191
jojacinto2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 117
vCash: 500
Whether you like Cherry or not. 95% of what he says is true.

jojacinto2 is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 09:53 PM
  #192
Fire Lindy
Trust the System
 
Fire Lindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,842
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojacinto2 View Post
Whether you like Cherry or not. 95% of what he says is true.
He was certainly in the 5% then last night, considering he was completely wrong on Burke bringing in "US college kids, Finns, and Swedes" and not having enough Canadians on the team. There are some things I will agree with Cherry on, but sometimes he just goes rambling on and doesn't have his facts straight at all.

I'm sure there's some die hard Cherry fans out there that now believe Euros and college kids are the reason for the leafs sucking..

Fire Lindy is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 10:43 PM
  #193
Jussi
I am siege face
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 42,297
vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockFlagAndEagle View Post
He was certainly in the 5% then last night, considering he was completely wrong on Burke bringing in "US college kids, Finns, and Swedes" and not having enough Canadians on the team. There are some things I will agree with Cherry on, but sometimes he just goes rambling on and doesn't have his facts straight at all.

I'm sure there's some die hard Cherry fans out there that now believe Euros and college kids are the reason for the leafs sucking..
Last season Cherry's problem with the Leafs was that there wasn't enough players from Ontario.

Jussi is online now  
Old
01-20-2013, 11:50 PM
  #194
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!
 
A Pointed Stick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,693
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
There is probably a way to explain all of this, but I doubt that it will be accepted for the very same reason it can't be understood by people outside of the borders of this country, specifically anyone who is not an English-speaking Canadian.

It's a joke.

If you don't get it, it is because you are not in on it and can't understand the farce.

I was watching an African American comedian on the Comedy Network the other night, making jokes and laughing at the stereotypes of white people (nerdy, dress funny, can't dance, etc.).

I suppose I could have been enraged, because I think I am a pretty snappy dresser and I think I dance pretty well. There are lots of white people that dance well. I guess that comedian is a racist.

No he's not. He's casting a mirror on our stereotypes (some which are borne out of truth, let's be honest), and getting me to watch and think about the whole idea of stereotypes and why we have them.

Cherry does the same when he brings up hockey players from abroad. Are all Swedes soft? Of course not, and he knows that. Are all Russians heartless? Of course not, and he knows that.

But as Canadians, there is some part of us that possibly wants that to be true, and Don exploits it for entertainment. Does that mean we are insecure? I don't know, maybe we are when it comes to hockey. If that is your criticism of us, then I guess it is valid, especially my generation. We were raised on the belief that we were the best hockey nation by a mile and that the Russians were coming to kill us someday. It was crazy, but that is what we thought.

But I also know that we are likely the most accepting society on the planet, ready to make friends and be open to your culture and everything you bring to our country.

Cherry isn't racist. He's not a misogynist, and he is not an old fool. He is a brilliant entertainer who has obviously struck a chord with people for a long, long time.

The mere fact that he gets so many people upset is proof of that. And what's even more, for all of you out there hating on him....you seem to care. A lot. Maybe even more than his fans.

You are the very reason he continues to be successful. So thank you.
Wow, great read on Grapes. I will take an honest Don Cherry, warts and all, 8 days a week.

A Pointed Stick is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 06:19 AM
  #195
nucks88
Registered User
 
nucks88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 497
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
There is probably a way to explain all of this, but I doubt that it will be accepted for the very same reason it can't be understood by people outside of the borders of this country, specifically anyone who is not an English-speaking Canadian.

It's a joke.

If you don't get it, it is because you are not in on it and can't understand the farce.

I was watching an African American comedian on the Comedy Network the other night, making jokes and laughing at the stereotypes of white people (nerdy, dress funny, can't dance, etc.).

I suppose I could have been enraged, because I think I am a pretty snappy dresser and I think I dance pretty well. There are lots of white people that dance well. I guess that comedian is a racist.

No he's not. He's casting a mirror on our stereotypes (some which are borne out of truth, let's be honest), and getting me to watch and think about the whole idea of stereotypes and why we have them.

Cherry does the same when he brings up hockey players from abroad. Are all Swedes soft? Of course not, and he knows that. Are all Russians heartless? Of course not, and he knows that.

But as Canadians, there is some part of us that possibly wants that to be true, and Don exploits it for entertainment. Does that mean we are insecure? I don't know, maybe we are when it comes to hockey. If that is your criticism of us, then I guess it is valid, especially my generation. We were raised on the belief that we were the best hockey nation by a mile and that the Russians were coming to kill us someday. It was crazy, but that is what we thought.

But I also know that we are likely the most accepting society on the planet, ready to make friends and be open to your culture and everything you bring to our country.

Cherry isn't racist. He's not a misogynist, and he is not an old fool. He is a brilliant entertainer who has obviously struck a chord with people for a long, long time.

The mere fact that he gets so many people upset is proof of that. And what's even more, for all of you out there hating on him....you seem to care. A lot. Maybe even more than his fans.

You are the very reason he continues to be successful. So thank you.

nucks88 is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 06:49 AM
  #196
BobDobolina
Registered User
 
BobDobolina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,440
vCash: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojacinto2 View Post
whether you like cherry or not. 95% of what he says is true.
Canada good foreigners bad I'll tellya!

I really don't see the comedy in the way he used to talk about Jagr for example or that Bure clip I posted. Or Kent Nilsson etc. He didn't exactly hide his dislike for European players who came over to play in the league. And now he's going on about imports in the CHL, did some Swedish guy steal his gf back in high school or what is his problem?

Personally I'm not much into a comedian who just keeps saying the same things year after year but each to their own of course. And then there's the TROOPS, how could anyone be against someone who SUPPORTS THE TROOPS, right?

I'd love to see someone take him on and give him a taste of his own medicine sometimes.

BobDobolina is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 07:11 AM
  #197
4ORRBRUIN
Registered User
 
4ORRBRUIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: boston
Country: United States
Posts: 2,813
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
There is probably a way to explain all of this, but I doubt that it will be accepted for the very same reason it can't be understood by people outside of the borders of this country, specifically anyone who is not an English-speaking Canadian.

It's a joke.

If you don't get it, it is because you are not in on it and can't understand the farce.

I was watching an African American comedian on the Comedy Network the other night, making jokes and laughing at the stereotypes of white people (nerdy, dress funny, can't dance, etc.).

I suppose I could have been enraged, because I think I am a pretty snappy dresser and I think I dance pretty well. There are lots of white people that dance well. I guess that comedian is a racist.

No he's not. He's casting a mirror on our stereotypes (some which are borne out of truth, let's be honest), and getting me to watch and think about the whole idea of stereotypes and why we have them.

Cherry does the same when he brings up hockey players from abroad. Are all Swedes soft? Of course not, and he knows that. Are all Russians heartless? Of course not, and he knows that.

But as Canadians, there is some part of us that possibly wants that to be true, and Don exploits it for entertainment. Does that mean we are insecure? I don't know, maybe we are when it comes to hockey. If that is your criticism of us, then I guess it is valid, especially my generation. We were raised on the belief that we were the best hockey nation by a mile and that the Russians were coming to kill us someday. It was crazy, but that is what we thought.

But I also know that we are likely the most accepting society on the planet, ready to make friends and be open to your culture and everything you bring to our country.

Cherry isn't racist. He's not a misogynist, and he is not an old fool. He is a brilliant entertainer who has obviously struck a chord with people for a long, long time.

The mere fact that he gets so many people upset is proof of that. And what's even more, for all of you out there hating on him....you seem to care. A lot. Maybe even more than his fans.

You are the very reason he continues to be successful. So thank you.
When it comes to the sport of hockey ,absalootly !

4ORRBRUIN is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 09:06 AM
  #198
Jussi
I am siege face
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 42,297
vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansfield View Post
/thread, me likey
Except this thread wasn't about Don Cherry but rather CC this season...

Jussi is online now  
Old
01-21-2013, 09:40 AM
  #199
P U L L H A R D
#shewenttoharvard
 
P U L L H A R D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Somalia
Posts: 23,794
vCash: 420
My issue is he just keeps yelling the same things. He rarely says anything new or noteworthy. It is just "I PREFER CANADIAN HOCKEY PLAYERS MORE THAN OTHERS! CHECK THIS OUT KIDS! SEE HOW HE DID THAT? YOU DO THAT TOO! DON'T DO THIS, THOUGH! ALRIGHT?! BEAUTY! ... and here is a beautiful young man we lost overseas early yesterday morning, etc."

They could be airing replays and I probably wouldn't notice a difference.

P U L L H A R D is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 11:27 AM
  #200
Gemini
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 149
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dosing View Post
Just like finland, danmark and norway have been in sweden's shadows for ages canada have been in usa's shadow. It leaves it's marks... just look at don cherry and his fans lol
Sometimes I watch games on American networks, sometimes Canadian, and when it's Canadian, there's a lot more nationalist rhetoric going on. It's Canada this, Canada that. Probably the opposite of what people usually expect.

I'd guess it's the same with Finland and Sweden, that Finns are more likely to emphasize their nationality than Swedes are.

Gemini is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:20 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.