HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Don Cherry & the Coach's Corner season 2013

Closed Thread

Old
01-20-2013, 03:03 PM
Swedish playmaker*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stish View Post
What "race" was he degrading? If you don't know what racism is don't call someone out for mistaking old people as an ethnic group.
He's degrading Swedes, Finns, Russians etc purely based on their nationality. Call it whatever you want, fanboy.

Old
01-20-2013, 03:26 PM
Dosing

Quote:
Originally Posted by stish View Post
I don't think you know too much about Canadians. Canadians are not "insecure" anymore.
Just like finland, danmark and norway have been in sweden's shadows for ages canada have been in usa's shadow. It leaves it's marks... just look at don cherry and his fans lol

And take a look at most international tournament taking place, swedes and americans always seem to get along much like finns and canadians does. We relate to and like those who are similar to us.

Old
01-20-2013, 03:42 PM
Noob616

Cherry was back to his typical xenophobic self last night. As if Kessel, Bozak, and Gardiner are the problem with the Leafs. And who are these "Finns and Swedes" he's going on about?

Old
01-20-2013, 03:45 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

There is probably a way to explain all of this, but I doubt that it will be accepted for the very same reason it can't be understood by people outside of the borders of this country, specifically anyone who is not an English-speaking Canadian.

It's a joke.

If you don't get it, it is because you are not in on it and can't understand the farce.

I was watching an African American comedian on the Comedy Network the other night, making jokes and laughing at the stereotypes of white people (nerdy, dress funny, can't dance, etc.).

I suppose I could have been enraged, because I think I am a pretty snappy dresser and I think I dance pretty well. There are lots of white people that dance well. I guess that comedian is a racist.

No he's not. He's casting a mirror on our stereotypes (some which are borne out of truth, let's be honest), and getting me to watch and think about the whole idea of stereotypes and why we have them.

Cherry does the same when he brings up hockey players from abroad. Are all Swedes soft? Of course not, and he knows that. Are all Russians heartless? Of course not, and he knows that.

But as Canadians, there is some part of us that possibly wants that to be true, and Don exploits it for entertainment. Does that mean we are insecure? I don't know, maybe we are when it comes to hockey. If that is your criticism of us, then I guess it is valid, especially my generation. We were raised on the belief that we were the best hockey nation by a mile and that the Russians were coming to kill us someday. It was crazy, but that is what we thought.

But I also know that we are likely the most accepting society on the planet, ready to make friends and be open to your culture and everything you bring to our country.

Cherry isn't racist. He's not a misogynist, and he is not an old fool. He is a brilliant entertainer who has obviously struck a chord with people for a long, long time.

The mere fact that he gets so many people upset is proof of that. And what's even more, for all of you out there hating on him....you seem to care. A lot. Maybe even more than his fans.

You are the very reason he continues to be successful. So thank you.

Old
01-20-2013, 04:07 PM
Bi Coastal Bawse*
RIP Sam Berns

Watching the other guys face when Cherry is talking is hilarious

Old
01-20-2013, 04:09 PM
PanthersPens62
#KidK

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
There is probably a way to explain all of this, but I doubt that it will be accepted for the very same reason it can't be understood by people outside of the borders of this country, specifically anyone who is not an English-speaking Canadian.

It's a joke.

If you don't get it, it is because you are not in on it and can't understand the farce.

I was watching an African American comedian on the Comedy Network the other night, making jokes and laughing at the stereotypes of white people (nerdy, dress funny, can't dance, etc.).

I suppose I could have been enraged, because I think I am a pretty snappy dresser and I think I dance pretty well. There are lots of white people that dance well. I guess that comedian is a racist.

No he's not. He's casting a mirror on our stereotypes (some which are borne out of truth, let's be honest), and getting me to watch and think about the whole idea of stereotypes and why we have them.

Cherry does the same when he brings up hockey players from abroad. Are all Swedes soft? Of course not, and he knows that. Are all Russians heartless? Of course not, and he knows that.

But as Canadians, there is some part of us that possibly wants that to be true, and Don exploits it for entertainment. Does that mean we are insecure? I don't know, maybe we are when it comes to hockey. If that is your criticism of us, then I guess it is valid, especially my generation. We were raised on the belief that we were the best hockey nation by a mile and that the Russians were coming to kill us someday. It was crazy, but that is what we thought.

But I also know that we are likely the most accepting society on the planet, ready to make friends and be open to your culture and everything you bring to our country.

Cherry isn't racist. He's not a misogynist, and he is not an old fool. He is a brilliant entertainer who has obviously struck a chord with people for a long, long time.

The mere fact that he gets so many people upset is proof of that. And what's even more, for all of you out there hating on him....you seem to care. A lot. Maybe even more than his fans.

Beautiful post. I could not agree more.

Old
01-20-2013, 04:44 PM
Shanahanigans

Why do people even analyze Cherry like he`s some sort of analytical thinker who brings up thought provoking discussion points. The man is loud, obnoxious, and entertaining. And I like that.

Old
01-20-2013, 05:22 PM
black charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
Why, did some Russians take roster spots on Team Canada as well? I think you best re-read my comment. If I'm paying 25 bucks for a ticket to a CHL game, I'd be a little disappointed if they scratched Yakupov to dress Timmy from down the street because Don Cherry said that's how it should be. As another poster mentioned, having these talented imports actually raises the level of competition, making it a better league and thus better development for the Canadian kids. It also means more scouts coming to CHL arenas (as opposed to traveling all over Europe), which could lead to an otherwise unknown player possibly catching the eyes of a few scouts thanks to more of them in the stands/multiple viewings looking at a Euro talent.

You'd be hard pressed to point out a negative to bringing in imports.

Yes it does increase the level of competition.The negative I see is that mostly star junior players come here to play,thereby,the non-imports look like lesser players,lowering their draft spot and increasing the import players draft spot.

Old
01-20-2013, 05:38 PM
Eytinge

Anyone have any video of the second coach's corner during the Nucks game?

Old
01-20-2013, 05:56 PM
candyman82

Quote:
Originally Posted by black charger View Post
Yes it does increase the level of competition.The negative I see is that mostly star junior players come here to play,thereby,the non-imports look like lesser players,lowering their draft spot and increasing the import players draft spot.
Do you mean European's who don't come over?

Old
01-20-2013, 06:01 PM
Sigh
Snowflake

vCash: 1415
Cherry is good for the postcount though, amirite? Same ol' whiners, same ol' posts.

Old
01-20-2013, 06:42 PM
Mansfield
possession obsession

Quote:

It's a joke.

/thread, me likey

Old
01-20-2013, 07:02 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigh View Post
Cherry is good for the postcount though, amirite? Same ol' whiners, same ol' posts.
The purpose of this thread was to discuss the things he says on each week's CC, not so much about the man himself since just about everything has been said several times before in multiple threads.

Old
01-20-2013, 07:16 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Amazing how many people still cry about Cherry.

I agree with about 50 percent of what Don has to say. I appreciate the way he "articulates" the things I agree with.
I appreciate his voice on the things I disagree with.

I'm am a big time lefty and totally opposed Don Cherry's right-wing authoritarian bent... but I am sick of the politically correct whining constantly associated with Cherry,

Old
01-20-2013, 07:26 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Coach's Corner is basically just a troll show, it's a shorter version of First Take or PTI except on those shows the hosts actually argue with each other.

Old
01-20-2013, 09:44 PM
jojacinto2

Whether you like Cherry or not. 95% of what he says is true.

Old
01-20-2013, 09:53 PM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojacinto2 View Post
Whether you like Cherry or not. 95% of what he says is true.
He was certainly in the 5% then last night, considering he was completely wrong on Burke bringing in "US college kids, Finns, and Swedes" and not having enough Canadians on the team. There are some things I will agree with Cherry on, but sometimes he just goes rambling on and doesn't have his facts straight at all.

I'm sure there's some die hard Cherry fans out there that now believe Euros and college kids are the reason for the leafs sucking..

Old
01-20-2013, 10:43 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockFlagAndEagle View Post
He was certainly in the 5% then last night, considering he was completely wrong on Burke bringing in "US college kids, Finns, and Swedes" and not having enough Canadians on the team. There are some things I will agree with Cherry on, but sometimes he just goes rambling on and doesn't have his facts straight at all.

I'm sure there's some die hard Cherry fans out there that now believe Euros and college kids are the reason for the leafs sucking..
Last season Cherry's problem with the Leafs was that there wasn't enough players from Ontario.

Old
01-20-2013, 11:50 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:

It's a joke.

Wow, great read on Grapes. I will take an honest Don Cherry, warts and all, 8 days a week.

Old
01-21-2013, 06:19 AM
nucks88

vCash: 50
Quote:

It's a joke.

Old
01-21-2013, 06:49 AM
BobDobolina

vCash: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojacinto2 View Post
whether you like cherry or not. 95% of what he says is true.
Canada good foreigners bad I'll tellya!

I really don't see the comedy in the way he used to talk about Jagr for example or that Bure clip I posted. Or Kent Nilsson etc. He didn't exactly hide his dislike for European players who came over to play in the league. And now he's going on about imports in the CHL, did some Swedish guy steal his gf back in high school or what is his problem?

Personally I'm not much into a comedian who just keeps saying the same things year after year but each to their own of course. And then there's the TROOPS, how could anyone be against someone who SUPPORTS THE TROOPS, right?

I'd love to see someone take him on and give him a taste of his own medicine sometimes.

Old
01-21-2013, 07:11 AM
4ORRBRUIN

Quote:

It's a joke.

When it comes to the sport of hockey ,absalootly !

Old
01-21-2013, 09:06 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansfield View Post
/thread, me likey
Except this thread wasn't about Don Cherry but rather CC this season...

Old
01-21-2013, 09:40 AM
P U L L H A R D
#shewenttoharvard

vCash: 420
My issue is he just keeps yelling the same things. He rarely says anything new or noteworthy. It is just "I PREFER CANADIAN HOCKEY PLAYERS MORE THAN OTHERS! CHECK THIS OUT KIDS! SEE HOW HE DID THAT? YOU DO THAT TOO! DON'T DO THIS, THOUGH! ALRIGHT?! BEAUTY! ... and here is a beautiful young man we lost overseas early yesterday morning, etc."

They could be airing replays and I probably wouldn't notice a difference.

Old
01-21-2013, 11:27 AM
Gemini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dosing View Post
Just like finland, danmark and norway have been in sweden's shadows for ages canada have been in usa's shadow. It leaves it's marks... just look at don cherry and his fans lol
Sometimes I watch games on American networks, sometimes Canadian, and when it's Canadian, there's a lot more nationalist rhetoric going on. It's Canada this, Canada that. Probably the opposite of what people usually expect.

I'd guess it's the same with Finland and Sweden, that Finns are more likely to emphasize their nationality than Swedes are.

Closed Thread