HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Out of town scoreboard

Closed Thread

Old
02-03-2013, 04:05 PM
The Pwnerer
We are never give up

vCash: 500
I wish we still had Mueller.

Old
02-03-2013, 04:20 PM
NHL33*

Here is the Sens' waived goal:

Not sure why they don't just make these things reviewable; maybe if this event was far more frequent, but it's not.

Old
02-03-2013, 04:20 PM
detrude
(╯□)╯ ︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo View Post
Not sure what this means. Why, would Dan be on the hot seat?
Team not playing to expectations. Two straight disappointing (and bad) playoff appearances plus a slow start where the team looked unorganized and disinterested leads to talk of his dismissal. Read the Pens board, their fans and media are pissed and feel it's almost time for a change. Laviolette seems to be in the same boat, and Holmgren has indirectly hinted that he's on thin ice.

Old
02-03-2013, 05:31 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by detrude View Post
Team not playing to expectations. Two straight disappointing (and bad) playoff appearances plus a slow start where the team looked unorganized and disinterested leads to talk of his dismissal. Read the Pens board, their fans and media are pissed and feel it's almost time for a change. Laviolette seems to be in the same boat, and Holmgren has indirectly hinted that he's on thin ice.
Holmgren should be the one on thin ice. He's managed to ice an expensive team with one of the shakiest defenses in the league. But as always, the coach gets the blame for that.

Old
02-03-2013, 05:39 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by detrude View Post
Well I would consider that great news then. Dan is an excellent coach, who I would love to have and Lavio is one of my all time favorites.

Old
02-03-2013, 07:31 PM
detrude
(╯□)╯ ︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
Holmgren should be the one on thin ice. He's managed to ice an expensive team with one of the shakiest defenses in the league. But as always, the coach gets the blame for that.
Definitely agree. From an outside POV, I think the ax needs to fall on Homer sooner rather than later. The guy has balls, I'll give him that, but I think he's gone too trigger happy trying to retool that roster every summer since the finals. It may or may not be time for a change in coaching philosophy in Philly, I'm not sure, but looking at the whole of Laviolette's work I'd think he's earned a chance to redeem himself. If Homer does fire Laviolette he's going to make some team extremely happy, hopefully ours (but deep down we know this isn't true).

Quote:
Well I would consider that great news then. Dan is an excellent coach, who I would love to have and Lavio is one of my all time favorites.
I'd love to have Bylsma behind our bench. Shero doesn't seem like the overreacting type, but I can imagine heads will roll with another early exit or an extended slump.

Old
02-04-2013, 06:22 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
Frattin has been dynamite for Leafs this far. Anything resembling a scoring chance he buries.

Old
02-04-2013, 06:27 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Frattin has been dynamite for Leafs this far. Anything resembling a scoring chance he buries.
Was just about to say the same thing. Good player.

Can we get him for O'Reilly/Stastny or do we need to add?

Old
02-05-2013, 06:32 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Caps defense looks worse than ours right now.

2-0 Leafs already.

Old
02-05-2013, 06:40 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Caps defense looks worse than ours right now.

2-0 Leafs already.
At some point Oates need to realize the Devils' system he's trying to implement is not working. The Caps don't have the personnel or the goaltending to pull it off.

Old
02-05-2013, 06:45 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE

Quote:
At some point Oates need to realize the Devils' system he's trying to implement is not working. The Caps don't have the personnel or the goaltending to pull it off.
At some point they have to stop blaming the coaches, the players need to take responsibility of their play.

Devils up 2-0 on NYR. Lundqvist looks average this year.

Old
02-05-2013, 06:45 PM
Elever
Hth

Quote:
I don't think it's him trying to implement it though. It's either the owner or the GM. We all expected them to play up-temo with Oates. Ironically, their passing has gotten worst with one of the best every playmakers coaching them.

Old
02-05-2013, 07:02 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Am I mean for wanting Flames to get enough wins to keep them in we're-going-for-it mode past trade deadline, only to collapse afterwards?

Old
02-05-2013, 07:21 PM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Am I mean for wanting Flames to get enough wins to keep them in we're-going-for-it mode past trade deadline, only to collapse afterwards?
Not at all, I hope for the same thing each season. Hilarious organization. Playoff push every year! Just need a bit of tinkering here and there; the Cup is close.

Old
02-05-2013, 07:32 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
Not at all, I hope for the same thing each season. Hilarious organization. Playoff push every year! Just need a bit of tinkering here and there; the Cup is close.
Better than what the oilers are doing.

Old
02-05-2013, 07:43 PM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

Quote:
Better than what the oilers are doing.
I don't know, I'd say the Oilers haven't executed the plan properly and have thus taken so long to rebuild, but the plan of bottoming out for a couple of years is the right one in today's NHL. The problem is they just amassed those picks, drafted forwards, and I think the rest of their team sucks. Look at Sherman; he's drafted Duchene and Landy high, but moved another high(could have been worse) pick for a stud young goaltender, then a blockbuster to bring in the stud young D. I still think the rebuild is the right approach and better than what the Flames have been doing for the past 6 years, it's just the Oilers have been quite incompetent at the execution of their plan.

Old
02-05-2013, 07:49 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE

Fair enough TPS but I can respect what the flames are trying to do vs what the oilers are doing. I can wait until their plan falls flat on its face when the reality of the cap hits them.

The flames are trying to win games but they also handled it poorly, they could've tried to compete with sacrificing their future. I mean the traded Gormely for Jokinen ffs.

Old
02-05-2013, 07:56 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

I think the problem in Calgary is that the owner is close to Iginla and doesn't want to be the bad guy by asking him to waive his NTC. So they build around him even though it's pointless. They should have cut the cord two years ago. It would have been the best for both the player and the team. Same with Kipper.

I have no problem with teams that have a window going for it, but the window for Calgary has been shut for a few years now.

Like Pierre LeBrun said. They're going for it again this year and I have no idea what "it" is.

Last edited by Freudian: 02-05-2013 at 08:02 PM.
Old
02-05-2013, 08:01 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
I don't know, I'd say the Oilers haven't executed the plan properly and have thus taken so long to rebuild, but the plan of bottoming out for a couple of years is the right one in today's NHL. The problem is they just amassed those picks, drafted forwards, and I think the rest of their team sucks. Look at Sherman; he's drafted Duchene and Landy high, but moved another high(could have been worse) pick for a stud young goaltender, then a blockbuster to bring in the stud young D. I still think the rebuild is the right approach and better than what the Flames have been doing for the past 6 years, it's just the Oilers have been quite incompetent at the execution of their plan.
Yup, when you think about it, Sherman deserves A LOT of credit for what he's done with this team.

We might be in for a rough year this year given the circumstances attached to the team right now. But if it weren't for said circumstances, we would probably be a playoff team this year, and we have all the right tools in place for the long haul.

As of right now, if everything was how it should be, we would have:

- A Young Top pairing Dman, with #1 Potential(Possibly even Norris potential still).
- 2 Very good young centers, each with #1 Potential, and are at least #2's right now. And another Center in his prime now who's already a #1C. So 3 Top 6 C's.
- A Young #1 Goalie, with franchise potential, and looking very good so far.
- A likely franchise winger and strong leader in Landeskog.
- Strong supporting pieces who still have potential to improve, such as McGinn, Downie, Barrie, Elliott, Siemens, Paranteau, Sgarbossa, MAYBE Hishon.

That's a lot of really good pieces that should be here for the next few years at least. Only thing that's missing for now is that 2nd Top pairing Dman to play along side EJ. And for all we know he could be in the system. Barrie, Elliott, and Siemens are still young and Siemens was drafted with Top pairing upside.

Sherman has acquired some very good pieces with only 2 picks inside the Top 10. If we struggle this year and end up with another Top 10 or even Top 5 pick, we'll likely have all the pieces we need.

The Oilers have now had THREE 1st overall picks, and all they can show for it is a Solid Top 6, but not much else.

Old
02-05-2013, 08:12 PM
finds71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsare1 View Post
Yup, when you think about it, Sherman deserves A LOT of credit for what he's done with this team.

We might be in for a rough year this year given the circumstances attached to the team right now. But if it weren't for said circumstances, we would probably be a playoff team this year, and we have all the right tools in place for the long haul.

- A Young Top pairing Dman, with #1 Potential(Possibly even Norris potential still).
- 2 Very good young centers, each with #1 Potential, and are at least #2's right now. And another Center in his prime now who's already a #1C. So 3 Top 6 C's.
- Strong supporting pieces who still have potential to improve, such as McGinn, Downie, Barrie, Elliott, Siemens, Paranteau, Sgarbossa, MAYBE Hishon.

That's a lot of really good pieces that should be here for the next few years at least. Only thing that's missing for now is that 2nd Top pairing Dman to play along side EJ. And for all we know he could be in the system. Barrie, Elliott, and Siemens are still young and Siemens was drafted with Top pairing upside.

Sherman has acquired some very good pieces with only 2 picks inside the Top 10. If we struggle this year and end up with another Top 10 or even Top 5 pick, we'll likely have all the pieces we need.

The Oilers have now had THREE 1st overall picks, and all they can show for it is a Solid Top 6, but not much else.
good post, I also think that we probably need a top line winger but yeah, right now I would rather have the avs than the oilers.... but the situation in Edmonton could evolve very quickly, they could trade some of their prospects and I'm sure that some GM would be willing to overpay for one of Yakupov or RNH..... kinda like the old nordiques traded all their 1st round pick..... (Lindros - Foppa/Ricci, Nolan -Ozolinsh, Sundin- Lemieux....)

Old
02-05-2013, 08:16 PM
finds71

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pwnerer View Post
I wish we still had Mueller.
Parenteau > Mueller

Old
02-05-2013, 08:26 PM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

Quote:

And yet the Avs have no quantifiable success to show for it.

Old
02-05-2013, 09:00 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hek View Post
And yet the Avs have no quantifiable success to show for it.
Its all about patience. You know that kid who you knew growing up who got everything he ever wanted from his parents, and was spoiled by his parents all through his child hood, and then when he no longer had his parents to rely on for everything, life became really tough for him. That's sort of what us Avs fans have had.

We were spoiled as fans for the first 10-12 years of the franchise because we were a dominant team for so long, that we have come to expect nothing but greatness from the Avs, and now were sort of spoiled. That's not necessarily a bad thing, in fact its good for us fans to want and demand the very best from this organization. But we have to be patient and let them do what needs to be done to bring us back to the glory days with a brand new core.

Rebuilds generally take 5 years to turn a team into a contender. We started our rebuild in 2009 when we drafted Duchene at #3 overall. Then we got slightly spoiled again when we made the playoffs the year after that thanks to Anderson lighting the world on fire. Right now were really only in year 4 or 5(If you count the 09/10 playoff year as a year in the rebuild still then its 4) of the rebuild. This year if everything went as it was supposed to(Full season, less injuries, Oreilly here, etc) we probably would be a playoff team. And next year would be year 5 and that's when we start to get close to a contender.

In a way that playoff yea almost delayed the rebuild by a year. We weren't truly contenders and instead of getting another top 5 pick and getting say Jeff Skinner, Hall, Seguin, etc. we got to play in the post season. Making playoffs was great and in the long run it will be good experience for the kids, but for the rebuild it hurt.

The way I see it is, right now were entering year 4 of the rebuild. Year one being the year we drafted Duchene, Year 2 being Landys draft year. And year 3 as last year. We saw progress last year as we went from the 29th team to the 19th team and were in a playoff spot until the last 2 weeks of play. This year would be year 4 where we should be making playoffs. If we don't I feel its not because of the team, but because of the injuries/Contract disputes/Sacco surrounding the team.

Basically, although we haven't made playoffs with this team yet, I still feel that significant progress is being made, and over the next 2 years I think we'll start to see our team grow into a contender. All the pieces are in place, they just have to grow and reach that potential that they have.

Old
02-05-2013, 09:02 PM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

vCash: 142
lol detroit

Old
02-05-2013, 09:29 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Its all about patience. You know that kid who you knew growing up who got everything he ever wanted from his parents, and was spoiled by his parents all through his child hood, and then when he no longer had his parents to rely on for everything, life became really tough for him. That's sort of what us Avs fans have had.

We were spoiled as fans for the first 10-12 years of the franchise because we were a dominant team for so long, that we have come to expect nothing but greatness from the Avs, and now were sort of spoiled. That's not necessarily a bad thing, in fact its good for us fans to want and demand the very best from this organization. But we have to be patient and let them do what needs to be done to bring us back to the glory days with a brand new core.

Rebuilds generally take 5 years to turn a team into a contender. We started our rebuild in 2009 when we drafted Duchene at #3 overall. Then we got slightly spoiled again when we made the playoffs the year after that thanks to Anderson lighting the world on fire. Right now were really only in year 4 or 5(If you count the 09/10 playoff year as a year in the rebuild still then its 4) of the rebuild. This year if everything went as it was supposed to(Full season, less injuries, Oreilly here, etc) we probably would be a playoff team. And next year would be year 5 and that's when we start to get close to a contender.

In a way that playoff yea almost delayed the rebuild by a year. We weren't truly contenders and instead of getting another top 5 pick and getting say Jeff Skinner, Hall, Seguin, etc. we got to play in the post season. Making playoffs was great and in the long run it will be good experience for the kids, but for the rebuild it hurt.

The way I see it is, right now were entering year 4 of the rebuild. Year one being the year we drafted Duchene, Year 2 being Landys draft year. And year 3 as last year. We saw progress last year as we went from the 29th team to the 19th team and were in a playoff spot until the last 2 weeks of play. This year would be year 4 where we should be making playoffs. If we don't I feel its not because of the team, but because of the injuries/Contract disputes/Sacco surrounding the team.

Basically, although we haven't made playoffs with this team yet, I still feel that significant progress is being made, and over the next 2 years I think we'll start to see our team grow into a contender. All the pieces are in place, they just have to grow and reach that potential that they have.
As was said before, it's not too much to ask that this organization show us fans that there is some light at the end of the tunnel. They're not doing that, and in fact they're expecting us to plunk down money to watch this abomination on ice. At least in those run-and-gun days the Avs were entertaining. A good friend of mine went to the game last night and called right afterwards to rant at how utterly horrible they looked.

We've been more than patient enough. Smart hockey fans know we were spoiled with success from the get-go, but not to the point where we're blinded to the realities of a long-overdue rebuilding effort. I think I speak for a lot of Avs fans when I say this organization needs to show us signs of progress. They're not.

No one's saying these guys needed to be worldbeaters by now, but you can't seriously sit here and tell me that icing one of the worst blueline corps in the league was completely unavoidable. This team was SUPPOSED to be building itself a better defense. They haven't.

Closed Thread