HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Out of town scoreboard

Closed Thread

Old
02-05-2013, 09:43 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
As was said before, it's not too much to ask that this organization show us fans that there is some light at the end of the tunnel. They're not doing that, and in fact they're expecting us to plunk down money to watch this abomination on ice. At least in those run-and-gun days the Avs were entertaining. A good friend of mine went to the game last night and called right afterwards to rant at how utterly horrible they looked.

We've been more than patient enough. Smart hockey fans know we were spoiled with success from the get-go, but not to the point where we're blinded to the realities of a long-overdue rebuilding effort. I think I speak for a lot of Avs fans when I say this organization needs to show us signs of progress. They're not.

No one's saying these guys needed to be worldbeaters by now, but you can't seriously sit here and tell me that icing one of the worst blueline corps in the league was completely unavoidable. This team was SUPPOSED to be building itself a better defense. They haven't.
The Defense hasn't been great, but part of it is just the fact that our 3 best prospects aren't up in the NHL yet. Barrie, Elliot, and Siemens are all Top 4 upside Dmen, with Barrie and Siemens(At least IMO) still having top pairing upside. I'd say next year we'll see 2 of the 3 up in the NHL.

Yes the Defense right now could be much improved, but in 2 years(which is when we'll be contenders IMO) if the prospects reach the level they should, our Defense will be much better, with a strong balance of Offense(Elliott, and Barrie) and Defense(Siemens and EJ).

Old
02-05-2013, 09:52 PM
detrude
(╯°□°)╯ ︵ ┻━┻

Chicago not looking good so far.

Edit: wow. Walk away for 5 minutes and miss all that.

Last edited by detrude: 02-05-2013 at 10:00 PM.
Old
02-05-2013, 10:04 PM
JWK
Report Spam @JWK Plz

vCash: 50
What's going on in this SJ/Chicago game?

Old
02-05-2013, 10:43 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsare1 View Post
The Defense hasn't been great, but part of it is just the fact that our 3 best prospects aren't up in the NHL yet. Barrie, Elliot, and Siemens are all Top 4 upside Dmen, with Barrie and Siemens(At least IMO) still having top pairing upside. I'd say next year we'll see 2 of the 3 up in the NHL.

Yes the Defense right now could be much improved, but in 2 years(which is when we'll be contenders IMO) if the prospects reach the level they should, our Defense will be much better, with a strong balance of Offense(Elliott, and Barrie) and Defense(Siemens and EJ).
But as I've stated before, it doesn't help the development of those prospects when you rid the blueline of anyone apart from EJ who can reliably move the puck, it puts pressure on the organization to rush the kids along. If we even had a marginal puckmover/PP QB to help out EJ, Tyson Barrie wouldn't be wasting away in the press box. He'd be playing and playing well for the Monsters. He's not developing right now because the Avs can't afford to send him down, but aren't confident enough in him to play him.

I don't mind that the Avs got a bunch of placeholders on the blueline, what sticks in my craw is that all those placeholders do the same damned thing. NONE of these guys know how to move the puck at an above average level apart from EJ, and frankly I feel EJ's ability to move the puck is grossly overrated. No offense to the guy, but it's not what he does best. And the supposed "puckmover" on defense is Matt Hunwick, who did a fantastic job setting up Jamie Benn for two goals last night.

This defense may be great if all those guys pan out (I'm skeptical they all will, but at least one of them should) in time, but that doesn't justify the fact that the Avs currently have an immobile defense with no offensive upside whatsoever. That not only hurts them offensively, it hurts them defensively as well since they can't skate or pass the frickin' puck out of the zone. And limited budget or not, it didn't have to be that way. Sherman didn't have to re-sign Hunwick, he didn't have to re-sign SOB, and he most certainly didn't have to sign Zanon on a blueline that already had O'Byrne, Wilson, and Hejda. And I've already been on record saying the Hejda signing has been an outright disaster thus far.

Old
02-05-2013, 11:12 PM
zingbo2133

Just saw the highlights of the kings game and damn quick had a ridiculous save Christ.

Old
02-06-2013, 06:59 AM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
But as I've stated before, it doesn't help the development of those prospects when you rid the blueline of anyone apart from EJ who can reliably move the puck, it puts pressure on the organization to rush the kids along. If we even had a marginal puckmover/PP QB to help out EJ, Tyson Barrie wouldn't be wasting away in the press box. He'd be playing and playing well for the Monsters. He's not developing right now because the Avs can't afford to send him down, but aren't confident enough in him to play him.
Just going to focus on this part here, as this has always been a bit of a topic of interest for me.

I've always wondered if its better for a players development to be practicing with the big club(Like Barrie with the Avs) and playing in half the games then it is to be practicing with the lower guys but playing all the time.

After Sgarbossa was sent down from training camp, he went back to Lake Erie and went on a tear for them, put up 8 points in 4 games before being called up again. It seemed like from the little bit of practice with the big club he learned so much and it helped him so much, that he went back to the AHL and basically dominated in his short stint.

Part of me wonders if practicing with the NHL players and getting adjusted to the higher thinking faster game while playing every second game or so is better for the development.

I don't really know which is better, but Sgarbossa seemed to have really improved from practicing with the big club.

Old
02-06-2013, 01:37 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Jay Beagle on #Caps issues: "I don't know if we have to sacrifice a cow or something." Start small? "No! I'm starting big. There's no time"

Old
02-06-2013, 01:59 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

For those of you who said Bruce Boudreau was a bad coach, I have some news: You're wrong.

Old
02-06-2013, 02:30 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
For those of you who said Bruce Boudreau was a bad coach, I have some news: You're wrong.
I do think he is a good coach, but he handled Varlamov wrong.

Old
02-06-2013, 06:54 PM
Hennessy
Blank Space

vCash: 3900
Bruins getting overwhelmed by Montreal. At least 3 (make that 4.....no, 5 now) very good chances for the Canadiens halfway through the first, and not even a shot yet by Boston. They're lucky no lasting damage has been done.

Old
02-06-2013, 07:55 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
La Joya!

vCash: 400
Quote:
He's still a whiny little *****. It's been like 8 games anyway.

Watching subban celebrate with his teammate they clearly hate him, he'll be traded soon along with ROR.

Old
02-06-2013, 08:14 PM
Landeslog

I cant help but lol at rnh's injury. How does an nhler get injured from that contact. Kid may as well be 12

Old
02-06-2013, 08:16 PM
Freudian
Clearly deranged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landeslog View Post
I cant help but lol at rnh's injury. How does an nhler get injured from that contact. Kid may as well be 12
It's his fourth shoulder injury in two years. Even if most of them have been minor, it's not good.

Old
02-06-2013, 08:21 PM
Landeslog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
It's his fourth shoulder injury in two years. Even if most of them have been minor, it's not good.
He was barely touched, though. If thats what it takes why dont they let him recover? Not like theyre contending

Old
02-06-2013, 09:42 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo View Post
He's still a whiny little *****. It's been like 8 games anyway.

Watching subban celebrate with his teammate they clearly hate him, he'll be traded soon along with ROR.
You keep on believing that.

Old
02-06-2013, 09:58 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Habs/Bruin games was very good. Sad that the good team lost, but how can anybody hate Rask. So good.

Old
02-06-2013, 10:06 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
La Joya!

Quote:
You keep on believing that.
Which part? I was joking about the Subban/Ryan being traded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Habs/Bruin games was very good. Sad that the good team lost, but how can anybody hate Rask. So good.
Wait who hates Rask?

Old
02-06-2013, 10:15 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Which part? I was joking about the Subban/Ryan being traded.
Couldn't tell if you were joking. And yes, I meant the Subban/O'Reilly part.

Quote:
Wait who hates Rask?
He's not a conservative warrior like Timmy?

Old
02-07-2013, 01:57 AM
Unaffiliated

Jags scored in OT!?

Should've watched that one instead lol

Old
02-07-2013, 05:05 AM
Hennessy
Blank Space

vCash: 3900
Quote:
I never returned to the game after the first intermission, but having seen what I saw in that period I'd never have imagined the Bruins would win, even with Rask bailing them out again and again and again.

Talk about having a plethora of riches in net. Over the last little while Boston has been so fortunate with goalies. They had Raycroft in his Calder year, who they then traded for Rask. Meanwhile Thomas comes on, and when he hits a bump Rask is able to step in, only to be replaced when Thomas achieves God-Mode. Then, when all that power finally overwhelms Thomas and he becomes paranoid and delusional, the team doesn't even miss a beat with Rask back in net. At this rate I expect Khudobin to become the best Russian goaltender since Tretiak.

Old
02-07-2013, 10:30 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Wait who hates Rask?
The Rask haters out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennessy View Post
I never returned to the game after the first intermission, but having seen what I saw in that period I'd never have imagined the Bruins would win, even with Rask bailing them out again and again and again.

Talk about having a plethora of riches in net. Over the last little while Boston has been so fortunate with goalies. They had Raycroft in his Calder year, who they then traded for Rask. Meanwhile Thomas comes on, and when he hits a bump Rask is able to step in, only to be replaced when Thomas achieves God-Mode. Then, when all that power finally overwhelms Thomas and he becomes paranoid and delusional, the team doesn't even miss a beat with Rask back in net. At this rate I expect Khudobin to become the best Russian goaltender since Tretiak.
I still can't believe that Toronto decided to trade a goaler who they drafted in the first round for one great season of Raycroft. Sadly the fans is the reason why Leafs decide to have a playoff push every season.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:17 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Also based on the current standings,

http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/

Blue Jackets would have three top 10 picks, WOW!

Old
02-07-2013, 12:41 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Also based on the current standings,

http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/

Blue Jackets would have three top 10 picks, WOW!
Wow, that's something.

Old
02-07-2013, 06:33 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
La Joya!

Quote:
Wow, that's something.
They'll end up with one.

Don't really know how they let caps goal stand. It's like they make this up as they go along.

Old
02-07-2013, 07:23 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
La Joya!

Neuvy you sieve, pulled after 2 goals. Holtby in.

2 quick goals, 4-1 pens. Good job holtby.

Last edited by Duchene2MacKinnon: 02-07-2013 at 07:31 PM.
Closed Thread