HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Death of the OT thread.

Closed Thread

Old
02-04-2013, 02:08 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegomyLeggio View Post
My busy social life is getting busier.

And I cracked up when my ex thought I was dating a church group friend who came over Saturday to watch the Sabres game and to let her son play with my kids.

Well, it looks like you've turned a corner with all the emotional turmoil. It takes time, as you know first hand .... but good to see you came out the other side intact.

Old
02-04-2013, 02:11 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Somebody is trading in a 2008 A5 3.2L quattro with 59,000 miles on it for an S5.....it's going to take a lot of willpower not to buy that car. You can't even buy it with a V6 anymore.

Old
02-04-2013, 02:31 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
Somebody is trading in a 2008 A5 3.2L quattro with 59,000 miles on it for an S5.....it's going to take a lot of willpower not to buy that car. You can't even buy it with a V6 anymore.

how much do you think it will go for?

Old
02-04-2013, 02:47 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
how much do you think it will go for?
Ballpark retail price? ~$25,000. Without knowing transmission/color/exact options. That price would include the cost of getting it Audi certified.

Old
02-04-2013, 03:09 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
Well, it looks like you've turned a corner with all the emotional turmoil. It takes time, as you know first hand .... but good to see you came out the other side intact.
The funny thing is that I think I've come out the other side faster than some ladies in my life think.

I'm still radioactive to some who think I need more time to recover.

Old
02-04-2013, 03:11 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegomyLeggio View Post
The funny thing is that I think I've come out the other side faster than some ladies in my life think.

I'm still radioactive to some who think I need more time to recover.
Still good to see you come out of it as well as you are.

Not to get weird, but it gives me a little hope that there's a light on the other side should my situation not resolve in a favorable manner.

Old
02-04-2013, 03:29 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
Still good to see you come out of it as well as you are.

Not to get weird, but it gives me a little hope that there's a light on the other side should my situation not resolve in a favorable manner.
I will say that my confidence got a boost today when prospect #2 texted me that she hopes that tonight's date with prospect #1 goes badly so that I do have coffee with her on Thursday.

And hearing stuff like that is why I like to share my story.

It makes me feel good to when I see stuff like that and stuff like my former boss going home and kissing his wife and being thankful that his marriage issues were so minor compared to what they could be.

Old
02-04-2013, 03:54 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

this sucks.

Old
02-04-2013, 04:04 PM
Old Navy Goat

JB is my dating advice guru. His first step is trying to teach me how to find suitable female companionship for dating vice solely bcd activities.

Old
02-04-2013, 04:52 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackGroundMusic View Post

this sucks.
I'll bite. What sucks?

Old
02-04-2013, 05:01 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
I'll bite. What sucks?
*deeeeep breath*....

Old
02-04-2013, 05:26 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

I am seriously considering picking up a pizza delivery job for some extra cash. Can't really find anything decent that I can do remotely in my time off. Not hurting for money but could always use more

Old
02-04-2013, 05:46 PM
Clock

Quote:
I am seriously considering picking up a pizza delivery job for some extra cash. Can't really find anything decent that I can do remotely in my time off. Not hurting for money but could always use more
I have a friend who did the same thing. He's a single dental hygienist and did it just to make a few extra bucks with some of his free time. If I had nothing to do outside of my 40 hour work week, I'd probably consider doing something like that, too. Why not?

Old
02-04-2013, 05:48 PM
Mike McDermott
blah blah blah

Quote:
If you work some place that makes you put their sign on your car you have to tell your insurance you are using your car for work/deliveries. Which, depending on your insurance could eat up a lot of the extra money you might earn.

Old
02-04-2013, 05:54 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

So, long story short -- and the biggest pressing issue -- I want a new job. The job I am at now is not even remotely close to what I thought it would be, and it's leading to me feeling miserable around the clock. I have no self-confidence at work any more and I feel incredibly under the microscope.

Old
02-04-2013, 06:00 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
So, long story short -- and the biggest pressing issue -- I want a new job. The job I am at now is not even remotely close to what I thought it would be, and it's leading to me feeling miserable around the clock. I have no self-confidence at work any more and I feel incredibly under the microscope.
Is it something you can discuss with management to rectify?

Old
02-04-2013, 06:00 PM
Fly Boy
Aye Sir!

Quote:
Sounds like the grown up world.

Old
02-04-2013, 06:01 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
What do you do? And what was the initial thoughts... It's important to be happy at work.

Old
02-04-2013, 06:24 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Is it something you can discuss with management to rectify?
Not in the slightest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Boy View Post
Sounds like the grown up world.
I've had lousy jobs before, but the degree of micromanagement is insane. It's stifling like a 95 degree day with 100% humidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess What View Post
What do you do? And what was the initial thoughts... It's important to be happy at work.
I work in I.T. My initial thought was that the job was a perfect fit, as it's a melding of my current field and my old field. The other departments seem fine, but my boss has a company-wide reputation as being incredibly difficult to work with and extremely territorial and demanding. I have had more than one person ask me if she is as difficult to work for as it seems. There are other things, but that's the briefest overview I can give.

Old
02-04-2013, 06:44 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Not in the slightest.

I've had lousy jobs before, but the degree of micromanagement is insane. It's stifling like a 95 degree day with 100% humidity.

I work in I.T. My initial thought was that the job was a perfect fit, as it's a melding of my current field and my old field. The other departments seem fine, but my boss has a company-wide reputation as being incredibly difficult to work with and extremely territorial and demanding. I have had more than one person ask me if she is as difficult to work for as it seems. There are other things, but that's the briefest overview I can give.
Terrible bosses like that are the worst... They make it too hard...

Old
02-04-2013, 07:41 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess What View Post
Terrible bosses like that are the worst... They make it too hard...
I think my least favorite thing is the meetings. Every Monday morning, we spend at least 2 hours in an IT meeting. There are 4 of us total, including the IT Manager. Today was over 2.5 hours. I have so much stuff to do, and yet I waste time in a meeting talking about the stuff I'm going to be doing.

Old
02-04-2013, 07:46 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
I think my least favorite thing is the meetings. Every Monday morning, we spend at least 2 hours in an IT meeting. There are 4 of us total, including the IT Manager. Today was over 2.5 hours. I have so much stuff to do, and yet I waste time in a meeting talking about the stuff I'm going to be doing.
How in the world do you spend that long in meetings? I was the IT Manager for a company with 400 employees and an IT group of 5 and we rarely went over 30 minutes in our weekly meeting.

Old
02-04-2013, 07:50 PM
Afino
The Juice

People like to hear themselves talk and feel important.

There's a lot of "meetings about meetings" in my company. Certain departments, I don't even know how the managers get work done because they're in meetings all day long.

Old
02-04-2013, 08:10 PM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
BGM,

As a survivor of a micromanger boss, I have some advice.

First off, your boss is micromanaging for a reason. Usually its a lack of trust. What you have to realize is that micromanaging is MUCH more stressful to her than it is to you. She thinks she has to do everything and spell everything out for you. Essentially she is trying to do your job and her job

My advice to you is this:

Figure out what is important to her. She likely complains about something alot. Whether its the budget, deadlines, etc.

Now, identify something in the process that holds that up. Or even a project you think needs to be done and interests you. But your selling point is to going to be it will reduce whatever she complains about most. And if she's like most bosses who micromanage, you get to hear about what irritates her the most....alot.

The key thing is, when you pitch to her, you are going to feed her her words and her answers. Because in the end, she doesn't want to hear your words, she wants to hear hers. By making her think you and her are on the same wavelength, you are earning trust because she thinks she is transforming you into a mini her....which is what she wants. Do this project well, make her think it was HER who made it possible. She'll feel like she was a good 'manager' to you and you will get some rope to do your job how you see fit. Keep in mind she is going to take all the credit for the project if it goes well, and you will get all the blame if it falters. But the key here is make your work day livable, even enjoyable. But, until you can earn/get a degree of trust from your boss, it's not going to be.

Old
02-05-2013, 06:33 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
How in the world do you spend that long in meetings? I was the IT Manager for a company with 400 employees and an IT group of 5 and we rarely went over 30 minutes in our weekly meeting.
We go over every single detail that we each took care of the week before and everything we're planning for the coming week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
BGM,

As a survivor of a micromanger boss, I have some advice.

First off, your boss is micromanaging for a reason. Usually its a lack of trust. What you have to realize is that micromanaging is MUCH more stressful to her than it is to you. She thinks she has to do everything and spell everything out for you. Essentially she is trying to do your job and her job

My advice to you is this:

Figure out what is important to her. She likely complains about something alot. Whether its the budget, deadlines, etc.

Now, identify something in the process that holds that up. Or even a project you think needs to be done and interests you. But your selling point is to going to be it will reduce whatever she complains about most. And if she's like most bosses who micromanage, you get to hear about what irritates her the most....alot.

The key thing is, when you pitch to her, you are going to feed her her words and her answers. Because in the end, she doesn't want to hear your words, she wants to hear hers. By making her think you and her are on the same wavelength, you are earning trust because she thinks she is transforming you into a mini her....which is what she wants. Do this project well, make her think it was HER who made it possible. She'll feel like she was a good 'manager' to you and you will get some rope to do your job how you see fit. Keep in mind she is going to take all the credit for the project if it goes well, and you will get all the blame if it falters. But the key here is make your work day livable, even enjoyable. But, until you can earn/get a degree of trust from your boss, it's not going to be.
That is great advice, but myself and the other tech are second-class citizens in terms of a lot of things [we don't have all the admin passwords, we can't join PCs to the domain, stuff like that]. Most of the stuff that she stresses about is stuff that only she is allowed to do.

Closed Thread