HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Death of the OT thread.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-12-2013, 09:52 AM
  #876
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe
 
New Sabres Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 38,010
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
I think I had mentioned on here the fear of leaving my son in the back seat of my car a while back. Thankfully I never even came close.

Then I read this, a big fat punch to the gut. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...T2009030602446

If it happened to me, it would tear me apart and destroy me. I don't know how those parents can manage, at all.
We have sensors for everything, one would think someone would develop a car sensor that would chime when you open the driver's door if there are seatbelts that are fastened (or at least for car seats). Of course, one would need the ability to turn it off since it could be quite annoying if you don't have kids, but it seems a simple enough thing.

New Sabres Captain is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 09:56 AM
  #877
BowieSabresFan
Registered User
 
BowieSabresFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
We have sensors for everything, one would think someone would develop a car sensor that would chime when you open the driver's door if there are seatbelts that are fastened (or at least for car seats). Of course, one would need the ability to turn it off since it could be quite annoying if you don't have kids, but it seems a simple enough thing.
Ironically, the frequency of these "incidents" rose dramatically with the increased use of air bags. Before that, parents would often have the child in the front seat.

And yes, the technology is there. I think an issue is the stigma involved with the accident, since it can only happen if you were a "bad" parent.

BowieSabresFan is online now  
Old
02-12-2013, 10:09 AM
  #878
vcv
Moderator
Deal with it
 
vcv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Williamsville, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 13,389
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
We have sensors for everything, one would think someone would develop a car sensor that would chime when you open the driver's door if there are seatbelts that are fastened (or at least for car seats). Of course, one would need the ability to turn it off since it could be quite annoying if you don't have kids, but it seems a simple enough thing.
It's a long article, but the last page talks about that. There are after-market products that do it.

There was something in a bill a few years ago requiring all cars to have such a device, but it was ultimately removed because of fear of the auto industry lobbyists killing the whole bill.

It also talks about how much more common it is, indeed because of child seats moving to the back seat, and because they are now recommended to be REAR FACING until 2 years old, making it that much more difficult to see the child.

"Tragedy" only begins to sum up these occurrences.

vcv is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 10:10 AM
  #879
TehDoak
General Zad
 
TehDoak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 17,371
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
So, is anyone familiar with the Scranton/WB area at all?

The lady and I will be moving there for her Surgery residency come this June. I know very little of the area other than its hilly. Anybody around there?

TehDoak is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 10:12 AM
  #880
Crazy Tasty
Registered User
 
Crazy Tasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Indiana
Country: United States
Posts: 3,863
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penalty Killa View Post
Hey, let's all post when we get laid!
If that is the standard, my post count will sky rocket.

Crazy Tasty is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 10:12 AM
  #881
Penalty Killa
glitter skates
 
Penalty Killa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sabres Nation
Country: United States
Posts: 10,520
vCash: 500
Well, I"m officially shaken. Did not like those articles. So heartbreaking.

Penalty Killa is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 10:14 AM
  #882
Myllz
Pavelski Lite
 
Myllz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle
Country: United States
Posts: 12,961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
So, is anyone familiar with the Scranton/WB area at all?

The lady and I will be moving there for her Surgery residency come this June. I know very little of the area other than its hilly. Anybody around there?
I hear they have a really good local paper company.

Myllz is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 10:21 AM
  #883
Old Navy Goat
Registered User
 
Old Navy Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: San Antonio
Country: United States
Posts: 5,937
vCash: 500
So bored...have 48 days left until I take off on my Asian vacation, I need to head to Colombia for a few weeks to break up the time. Think I needed more eye candy than competence from my personal assistant, she's doing everything but picking out which properties to buy. Not only does she have better design tastes than me, but she's also meaner on the contractors. Her only flaw is that she hates the Chevelle and Mercury, she'd rather I drive the Tundra or Cobra when we visit the sites.

I'm going to subscribe to LmL's private tutoring so I can enhance my dating life.

Old Navy Goat is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 10:29 AM
  #884
aceface33
Registered User
 
aceface33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Herkimer, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 7,999
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
So, is anyone familiar with the Scranton/WB area at all?

The lady and I will be moving there for her Surgery residency come this June. I know very little of the area other than its hilly. Anybody around there?
You're close to the Poconos so there's casinos and stuff. Syracuse is only a couple of hours drive up I-81 and you're not that far from New York City either. That's all I got. (The only times I was ever there was to drive through to go to the Poconos)

aceface33 is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 10:32 AM
  #885
vcv
Moderator
Deal with it
 
vcv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Williamsville, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 13,389
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penalty Killa View Post
Well, I"m officially shaken. Did not like those articles. So heartbreaking.
Me too. I'm sorry, really. But when you get home from work and see your baby's face, it'll make it all better. Very tempted to visit my son during lunch.

vcv is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 10:39 AM
  #886
Crazy Tasty
Registered User
 
Crazy Tasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Indiana
Country: United States
Posts: 3,863
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
Me too. I'm sorry, really. But when you get home from work and see your baby's face, it'll make it all better. Very tempted to visit my son during lunch.
I couldn't finish that... omg. Mine are 10 & 7 now, so I'm past that stage, but ugh. That's just horrible to imagine.

Crazy Tasty is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 10:42 AM
  #887
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck
 
SackTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 4,963
vCash: 500
I've been silent on my relationship situation for a lot of reasons, but I have one thing to say, call it hard earned advice for others.

Never underestimate the possibility that your partner could be going through their own personal hell.

SackTastic is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 10:47 AM
  #888
slip
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 7,515
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
Me too. I'm sorry, really. But when you get home from work and see your baby's face, it'll make it all better. Very tempted to visit my son during lunch.
I think you're overreacting to a very sad story.

But do it anyways!

slip is online now  
Old
02-12-2013, 10:57 AM
  #889
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,586
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SackTastic View Post
I've been silent on my relationship situation for a lot of reasons, but I have one thing to say, call it hard earned advice for others.

Never underestimate the possibility that your partner could be going through their own personal hell.
And my hard earned advice is that if you are the partner that is struggling, TALK ABOUT IT WITH YOUR PARTNER NO MATTER HOW HARD IT IS.

Ignoring it will not make it better.

WhoIsJimBob is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 11:17 AM
  #890
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe
 
New Sabres Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 38,010
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SackTastic View Post
I've been silent on my relationship situation for a lot of reasons, but I have one thing to say, call it hard earned advice for others.

Never underestimate the possibility that your partner could be going through their own personal hell.
Is the name change new, or have I just been oblivious?

New Sabres Captain is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 11:17 AM
  #891
Afino
The Juice
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Orchard Park, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 20,605
vCash: 500
JB, yup


Also, after the warnings on that article, I won't click. Nope. Not gonna.

Afino is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 11:25 AM
  #892
Penalty Killa
glitter skates
 
Penalty Killa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sabres Nation
Country: United States
Posts: 10,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afino View Post
JB, yup


Also, after the warnings on that article, I won't click. Nope. Not gonna.
Smart. Don't.

Penalty Killa is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 11:29 AM
  #893
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck
 
SackTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 4,963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
Is the name change new, or have I just been oblivious?
It's new.

SackTastic is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 11:29 AM
  #894
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck
 
SackTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 4,963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegomyLeggio View Post
And my hard earned advice is that if you are the partner that is struggling, TALK ABOUT IT WITH YOUR PARTNER NO MATTER HOW HARD IT IS.

Ignoring it will not make it better.
Indeed.

SackTastic is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 11:31 AM
  #895
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,586
vCash: 500
I'm about 1/3 done with my V Day prep.

Although, that part won't be here by Thursday...



I bought http://product.half.ebay.com/ws/eBay...s&pr=109054073 & http://product.half.ebay.com/ws/eBay...s&pr=117315556

I need to get a card and do a little homemade craft project.

And tonight I will go grocery shopping for the dinner I am planning on preparing.

The cool thing is that she is doing a diet challenge at work, so my Paleo challenge at the gym isn't an issue.

In fact, she's having the leftovers from the chili that I brought over last night for her lunch today.


WhoIsJimBob is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 11:45 AM
  #896
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck
 
SackTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 4,963
vCash: 500
I'm pretty much done too. I sent her chocolate covered strawberries to her work instead of flowers because I just sent her flowers a couple weeks ago for other reasons. Wrote up a short card, and put in two gift certificates in there. One for a night out with everything her choice, and another for a night for me to cook up a nice dinner.

SackTastic is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 11:52 AM
  #897
Mike McDermott
blah blah blah
 
Mike McDermott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Kenmore
Country: United States
Posts: 12,737
vCash: 500
I am very glad I married a woman who cares very little about V-day. Saves me a lot of money.

Mike McDermott is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 12:05 PM
  #898
BowieSabresFan
Registered User
 
BowieSabresFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SackTastic View Post
I'm pretty much done too. I sent her chocolate covered strawberries to her work instead of flowers because I just sent her flowers a couple weeks ago for other reasons. Wrote up a short card, and put in two gift certificates in there. One for a night out with everything her choice, and another for a night for me to cook up a nice dinner.
I have infinite slack for V-Day since I bought the wife a pearl necklace for her b-day last month. She says not to get her anything for V-Day, which is advice I am obviously going to ignore.

I'll never forget my wife's reaction to the pearls. I had bought her a teddy bear, put the pearls on the bear, and left the box with the matching earrings in the bear's lap. Her first question?

"Are these real?"

BowieSabresFan is online now  
Old
02-12-2013, 12:12 PM
  #899
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck
 
SackTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 4,963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowieSabresFan View Post
I have infinite slack for V-Day since I bought the wife a pearl necklace for her b-day last month. She says not to get her anything for V-Day, which is advice I am obviously going to ignore.

I'll never forget my wife's reaction to the pearls. I had bought her a teddy bear, put the pearls on the bear, and left the box with the matching earrings in the bear's lap. Her first question?

"Are these real?"
That's awesome!!

I love reading about the ways people come up with to 'deliver' gifts like that.

SackTastic is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 01:06 PM
  #900
vcv
Moderator
Deal with it
 
vcv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Williamsville, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 13,389
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to vcv
Clock, if you don't get laid tonight because of that article, I'm sorry.

vcv is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:04 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.