HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Petiot

Closed Thread

Old
02-28-2005, 10:39 PM
Game Misconduct

vCash: 500
Petiot

I've been watching a game I TiVo'd, Colorado College against Wisconsin. Zaba not playing, so I've been focused on Petiot.

So far, not much to see. But he is not paired with Stuart and does not seem to be getting much ice time unless I'm missing something.

Will add more when I finish watching the game. Anybody else catch it? First CC game I've been able to see this year.

Old
03-01-2005, 02:41 PM
Game Misconduct

OK, finished it. This game was played on 2/19. Box score here:

http://www.collegehockeystats.net/04...s/mcc_wis1.f19

Let me start by noting that you can't evaluate a prospect by watching one game. I do have another CC game set on my TiVo, so I'll add more comments after watching that one.

Petiot appeared to be playing on the second D-pairing and second PK unit with Brady Greco. He did not get power play time. Despite being on the second unit, his ice time really was limited because the top pairing of Mark Stuart and Brandon Straub probably played for 30+ minutes. They really try to have Stuart out there all the time, which makes sense. Note that Straub, a sophomore, is undrafted and a pretty decent player with good size. Not sure if he is 2005 eligible or a free agent.

Anyway, Petiot has good size for his age (still could add some weight), plays the body and plays with an edge. Seems to have a nice mean streak. However, in this game he did not live up to the hype. He had trouble all game long handling the puck behind his net and looked a bit panicked by the Wisconsin forecheckers (who were very aggressive). Couple of turnovers in his own zone. Out of position a couple of times in his own zone. Did make one nice play in his own end getting the puck out of the zone from his knees, and drew a penalty in the process.

Based solely on this game (which again is no basis for judgment -- it is just one of many, many data points), I would say that he is more of a long-term project than many of you have suggested. He is not ready for the NHL right now, but projects as a 5-6th defenseman after a few years in the AHL improving his skating and stickhandling skills. I think the Aaron Miller comparison is a good one, but again, he needs a few years of work before he is ready for the big show. Jason Holland beats this guy out today, no contest, even without his offensive abilities.

I am very pleased that the Kings drafted this kid, and I hope his development continues. Perhaps I will see a different player in the next game I see.

Old
03-01-2005, 03:41 PM
jfont

Awards:
if you had a choice of keeping either rome or petiot, who would you choose?

03-01-2005, 03:52 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
I know he was injured earlier in the year and I wonder if he is/has been playing hurt.
From everything I have seen with Petiot, he has always been very sound positionally.

Old
03-01-2005, 04:10 PM
David A. Rainer

Send a message via MSN to David A. Rainer
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsjohn
I know he was injured earlier in the year and I wonder if he is/has been playing hurt.
From everything I have seen with Petiot, he has always been very sound positionally.
He's been hurt several times this year. Knee and groin if I recall correctly.

03-01-2005, 04:17 PM
Game Misconduct

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfont
Petiot.

Old
03-01-2005, 06:53 PM
CoKings

I live in Colorado so i get to see quite a few CC games. Petiot is generally a lot bigger than the forwards he faces on the other teams, so he typically uses his size to toss people out of where he wants to be. He usually gets a lot of ice time but is just coming back from an injury (i forget whether it was groin or muscle tear, something like that) so it's not surprising they would limit his time. He is not a very offensive D-man, does not get time on the PP but does on the PK. will take himself out of position a la Darius Kasparitis in order to light someone up with a big hit, but similar to Darius doing this can sometimes lead to odd man rushes against his team. i don't think we can say what kind of NHL'r he will be until he plays in the AHL against bigger boys and we see how he stands up. but a good prospect.

Old
03-01-2005, 07:33 PM
McSorley 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoKings
I live in Colorado so i get to see quite a few CC games. Petiot is generally a lot bigger than the forwards he faces on the other teams, so he typically uses his size to toss people out of where he wants to be. He usually gets a lot of ice time but is just coming back from an injury (i forget whether it was groin or muscle tear, something like that) so it's not surprising they would limit his time. He is not a very offensive D-man, does not get time on the PP but does on the PK. will take himself out of position a la Darius Kasparitis in order to light someone up with a big hit, but similar to Darius doing this can sometimes lead to odd man rushes against his team. i don't think we can say what kind of NHL'r he will be until he plays in the AHL against bigger boys and we see how he stands up. but a good prospect.
Always good to hear

Old
03-02-2005, 10:57 AM
Dave in LA
Chick Magnet

Quote:
Originally poested by jfont
From what I remember, Rome wanted first round money. :lol

It is still in the air as to whether they made the right decision. I think Gleason made it a lot easier on them in letting him go.

We'll see.

D

Old
03-03-2005, 11:31 PM
Saprykin Fan

hey

hey plays on TV tommorow night on the NHL Network!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! im not sure if Zaba is starting or not? he got an assist tonight he said and had a huge hit at the end!!!!!!!!!

Old
03-03-2005, 11:49 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saprykin Fan
hey plays on TV tommorow night on the NHL Network!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! im not sure if Zaba is starting or not? he got an assist tonight he said and had a huge hit at the end!!!!!!!!!
So what round are you going to get drafted in?!

Old
03-04-2005, 03:18 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
It'll also be on CSTV and FSNRM.

BTW, I caught the webcast of last night's game. Since McElhinney got the start last night, my guess is Owens will likely start Zaba tonight, since the two have been rotated all season long.

It sounded like Petiot played a great game. He assisted on a goal by Aaron Slattengren (I believe it was) that was supposedly a very pretty goal. He mixed it up with Paukovich (not exactly a creampuff) a few times. Petiot nearly got tossed late in the game for a cross-check that resulted in a brawl between the two teams. Something like 10 players were sent to the box, fortunately no one got a game misconduct or a DQ.

Old
03-04-2005, 07:31 PM
Saprykin Fan

hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45
So what round are you going to get drafted in?!
what draft there will not be one till teh CBA is fixed!!!!!!!!!!

Old
03-04-2005, 08:02 PM
David A. Rainer

Send a message via MSN to David A. Rainer
Quote:
sucks for you because i had you handicapped right behind Sidney Crosby.

Old
03-04-2005, 10:30 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
ok ok so when there is one....

Old
03-05-2005, 12:53 AM
Venom_17

I would take Petiot. What has Rome done so far in Cinci?

Old
03-05-2005, 02:03 PM
Game Misconduct

I don't get the NHL Network. I hope someone will post thoughts on the game. I do have another CC game set to be TiVo'd . . .

Closed Thread