HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Realignment: Did the CBA address this?

Closed Thread

Old
01-29-2013, 10:42 PM
Pilky01
@JamesD_TO

vCash: 500
I think you can absolutely split up the eastern Canadian teams.
For fun...

Ottawa
Toronto
Markham
Buffalo
Tampa Bay
Florida
Pittsburgh
Philadelphia

Quebec
Montreal
Boston
Islanders
Rangers
New Jersey
Washington
Carolina

Last edited by Pilky01: 01-29-2013 at 10:50 PM.
Old
01-29-2013, 11:37 PM
StoneColdFlower*
El Sid

All I'll add is that I'd be for a 16-14 four conference set-up if the playoffs included a crossover component.

I also think it's hypocritical that nobody objects to Vancouver being in a separate division from the other Canadian teams while all the Wild and Avalance fans on this board have **** fits over any prospective realignment that leads them the odd Americans out. Typical American arrogance.

Anyways, assuming no expansions or relocations, I'd like the following:

Patrick Conference:

NYR
NYI
Devils
Pengiuns
Flyers
Capitals
Hurricanes
Blue Jackets

Adams Conference:

Habs
Leafs
Senators
Bruins
Sabres
Red Wings
Panthers
Lightning

Smyth Conference:

Black Hawks
Blues
Predators
Wild
Stars
Coyotes
Avalanche

Norris Conference:

Jets
Flames
Oilers
Canucks
Kings
Ducks
Sharks

Classic conference names are EPIC. The NHL needs it's own identity. None of this N-S-E-W crap.

I know that the Norris division looks a bit goofy, but this retains some of the league's best rivalries (and brings back Washington-Pittsburgh), keeps the Canadian teams together, keeps the Cali teams together, create a potentially interesting Colorado-Phoenix-Dallas triangle, gets Columbus and Detroit East, and gives Florida and TB a natural rival and a lot of snowbird crowds. If Winnipeg and Colorado would prefer to be swapped, we can just accommodate that if need be, but I've never been a fan of orphaning Canadian teams.

Playoffs:

Top 3 in each conference are guaranteed to make the playoffs. 4 Wild Cards with a maximum of 2 in a single conference (because it's lame to have 6 or 7 teams in the same conference make the playoffs). 2nd and 3rd in each conference play each other. Each conference winner get to choose a wild card team to play in descending order of points, so the team with the most points gets first choice of opponent. This makes doing well in the regular season more important and prevents the first place team from being penalized by having to face a hot team in the playoffs. If I win the President's Trophy, I'd rather play a 14th place team that's having a late season collapse than a 16th place team that's on a hot streak unless I feel that I match up especially well against the latter. I also adds an entertaining gimmick to the beginning of the post season without resort to cheap Vince McMahon-style tricks that undermine the integrity of the game.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:59 AM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...expansion.html

Ok, so let's imagine that. So how would the alignment look then?

I'm still not seeing it though, especially if they were to put two new franchises in the same Division. And if they weren't to go in the same Division, one would have to think that it would be a temporary situation, for competition reasons, because QC should at least be with Montreal, and Tor2 or Hamilton should really be with Tor1.

Tor2 would be a huge money grab for expansion, but QC could possibly get a relocated team, and that way there wouldn't be two expansion teams in the same Division. But then, what happens if Phoenix or no other team gets put up for relocation? Of course though, another solution would be not to have QC-Montreal in the same Division with Tor2Ham-Tor1.
Phoenix-proof realignment, you can switch the Florida teams into the North Division if you like:

Old
01-30-2013, 02:51 AM
Jnr78

How about this for something different that will never happen. Three conferences with 11, 11 and 8 teams (12, 12 and 8 teams with expansion to 32 teams). Then a fixed playoff bracket at least for the first two rounds of the playoffs. Third round could be re-seeded or paired depending on which conference has two teams in the third round.

Eastern Conference

Carolina Hurricanes
Columbus Blue Jackets
Florida Panthers
Nashville Predators
New Jersey Devils
New York Islanders
New York Rangers
Philadelphia Flyers
Pittsburgh Penguins
Tampa Bay Lightning
Washington Capitals

Central Conference

Boston Bruins
Buffalo Sabres
Chicago Blackhawks
Dallas Stars
Detroit Red Wings
Minnesota Wild
Montreal Canadiens
Ottawa Senators
Toronto Maple Leafs
St. Louis Blues
Winnipeg Jets

Western Conference

Anaheim Ducks
Calgary Flames
Colorado Avalanche
Edmonton Oilers
Los Angeles Kings
Phoenix Coyotes
San Jose Sharks
Vancouver Canucks

Playoff bracket:

Western 1
Western 4 Western Western
Western 2 Western
Western 3

Eastern 2
Eastern 5 Eastern Eastern/Central
Central 2 Central
Central 5

Central 1
Central 6 Central Central
Central 3 Central
Central 4

Eastern 1
Eastern 6 Eastern Eastern
Eastern 3 Eastern
Eastern 4

Old
01-30-2013, 03:11 AM
knorthern knight

vCash: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilky01 View Post
I think you can absolutely split up the eastern Canadian teams.
For fun...

Ottawa
Toronto
Markham
Buffalo
Tampa Bay
Florida
Pittsburgh
Philadelphia

Quebec
Montreal
Boston
Islanders
Rangers
New Jersey
Washington
Carolina
Philadelphia+Pittsburgh separated from the 3 NY City teams, plus Washington, will generate screaming galore. As will breaking up the Quebec-Windsor-Corridor natural rivalry. Plus the 2 Florida teams are unhappy. That's approximately a dozen votes against in any BOG meeting right there. Here's a less unnatural alignment, although the Florida teams are still in with the Canadian teams. I expect only 2 votes against this one...

EastAtlantic
BuffaloBoston
FloridaCarolina
MarkhamNew Jersey
MontrealNY Islanders
OttawaNY Rangers
QuebecPhiladelphia
TampaPittsburgh
TorontoWashington

Old
01-30-2013, 05:58 AM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinPower420 View Post
All I'll add is that I'd be for a 16-14 four conference set-up if the playoffs included a crossover component.

I also think it's hypocritical that nobody objects to Vancouver being in a separate division from the other Canadian teams while all the Wild and Avalance fans on this board have **** fits over any prospective realignment that leads them the odd Americans out. Typical American arrogance.

Anyways, assuming no expansions or relocations, I'd like the following:

Patrick Conference:

NYR
NYI
Devils
Pengiuns
Flyers
Capitals
Hurricanes
Blue Jackets

Adams Conference:

Habs
Leafs
Senators
Bruins
Sabres
Red Wings
Panthers
Lightning

Smyth Conference:

Black Hawks
Blues
Predators
Wild
Stars
Coyotes
Avalanche

Norris Conference:

Jets
Flames
Oilers
Canucks
Kings
Ducks
Sharks

Classic conference names are EPIC. The NHL needs it's own identity. None of this N-S-E-W crap.

I know that the Norris division looks a bit goofy, but this retains some of the league's best rivalries (and brings back Washington-Pittsburgh), keeps the Canadian teams together, keeps the Cali teams together, create a potentially interesting Colorado-Phoenix-Dallas triangle, gets Columbus and Detroit East, and gives Florida and TB a natural rival and a lot of snowbird crowds. If Winnipeg and Colorado would prefer to be swapped, we can just accommodate that if need be, but I've never been a fan of orphaning Canadian teams.

Playoffs:

Top 3 in each conference are guaranteed to make the playoffs. 4 Wild Cards with a maximum of 2 in a single conference (because it's lame to have 6 or 7 teams in the same conference make the playoffs). 2nd and 3rd in each conference play each other. Each conference winner get to choose a wild card team to play in descending order of points, so the team with the most points gets first choice of opponent. This makes doing well in the regular season more important and prevents the first place team from being penalized by having to face a hot team in the playoffs. If I win the President's Trophy, I'd rather play a 14th place team that's having a late season collapse than a 16th place team that's on a hot streak unless I feel that I match up especially well against the latter. I also adds an entertaining gimmick to the beginning of the post season without resort to cheap Vince McMahon-style tricks that undermine the integrity of the game.
Crossover rule is a non-starter, playoffs or RS, it takes off the focus of being a division winner or an obvious 1, 2, or 3, seed, and puts the focus on an 8 or 9 seed who has to watch 1 or 2 teams in their conference and pray you catch them...

say you're a 4 seed in a division but there's another team that has more points than you, in the same conference but the opposite division, but that team qualifies and plays in your division's playoffs, while your team doesn't, how is that fair?

Old
01-30-2013, 06:34 AM
wildthing202

Send a message via AIM to wildthing202 Send a message via Yahoo to wildthing202
Quote:
Originally Posted by knorthern knight View Post
Philadelphia+Pittsburgh separated from the 3 NY City teams, plus Washington, will generate screaming galore. As will breaking up the Quebec-Windsor-Corridor natural rivalry. Plus the 2 Florida teams are unhappy. That's approximately a dozen votes against in any BOG meeting right there. Here's a less unnatural alignment, although the Florida teams are still in with the Canadian teams. I expect only 2 votes against this one...

EastAtlantic
BuffaloBoston
FloridaCarolina
MarkhamNew Jersey
MontrealNY Islanders
OttawaNY Rangers
QuebecPhiladelphia
TampaPittsburgh
TorontoWashington
NortheastAtlantic
BostonCarolina
BuffaloFlorida
MarkhamNew Jersey
MontrealNY Islanders
OttawaNY Rangers
PittsburghPhiladelphia
QuebecTampa Bay
TorontoWashington

Probably would work if you give some scheduling preference(extra two games) to crossover games like Bos-NYR & Pit-Phil just so Philly won't whine about not getting everything they want.

Division 4x(7) = 28
2 fixed crossovers 4x = 8
2 rotating crossovers 3x = 6
Other conferences/divisions 2x(20) = 40
82 games

Old
01-30-2013, 07:01 AM
The Right Price

Northwest Divison

Calgary Flames
Chicago Blackhawks
Edmonton Oilers
Minnesota Wild
Vancouver Canucks
Winnipeg Jets

Pacific Division

Anaheim Ducks
Colorado Avalanche
Dallas Stars
Los Angeles Kings
Phoenix Coyotes
San Jose Sharks

Southern Division

Carolina Hurricanes
Columbus Blue Jackets
Florida Panthers
Nashville Predators
St. Louis Blues
Tampa Bay Lightning

Atlantic Division

New Jersey Devils
New York Islanders
New York Rangers
Philadelphia Flyers
Pittsburgh Penguins
Washington Capitals

Northeast Division

Boston Bruins
Buffalo Sabres
Detroit Red Wings
Montreal Canadiens
Ottawa Senators
Toronto Maple Leafs

5 Divisons with 6 teams each.

Division Winners go into Playoff Pool A
Division Seconds go into Playoff Pool B
Division Thirds go into Playoff Pool C
Division Fourths go into a five team one-game round robin where the winner will be the sixth team in Playoff Pool C. This creates four extra games while the other post-season teams will receive some rest after the regular season.

Then make a fair bracket and choose the pairs by lottery and we end up with.

Pool A1 vs Pool C1
Pool A2 vs Pool C2
Pool A3 vs Pool C3
Pool A4 vs Pool C4
Pool A5 vs Pool C5
Pool B1 vs Pool B2
Pool B3 vs Pool B4
Pool B5 vs Pool C6

Old
01-30-2013, 08:48 AM
optimus2861

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinPower420 View Post
Norris Conference:

Jets
Flames
Oilers
Canucks
Kings
Ducks
Sharks
Man that is a PUNISHING alignment for the Jets! Every single divisional opponent is out of their time zone. That wrecks their TV start times and saddles them with a whole lotta trips to California that I'm sure they do not want (and the feeling is probably mutual).

The Jets have to be aligned with their CTZ brethren (especially the Minnesota Wild), not the western Canadian teams.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:45 AM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus2861 View Post
Man that is a PUNISHING alignment for the Jets! Every single divisional opponent is out of their time zone. That wrecks their TV start times and saddles them with a whole lotta trips to California that I'm sure they do not want (and the feeling is probably mutual).

The Jets have to be aligned with their CTZ brethren (especially the Minnesota Wild), not the western Canadian teams.
Winnipeg isn't really west, it's just west of the ETZ. Big difference, and why so many CTZ teams have so many issues.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:11 AM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:

EastAtlantic
BuffaloBoston
FloridaCarolina
MarkhamNew Jersey
MontrealNY Islanders
OttawaNY Rangers
QuebecPhiladelphia
TampaPittsburgh
TorontoWashington
Yes, as if separating Montreal and Boston would go over better than separating Pittsburgh and Philadelphia or separating the Pennsylvania teams from the NYC area teams.

Hey, personally, I'm not at all limited in my attitude about which teams can or can't be separated, but many people are. So don't expect other long-term rivalries to be split up just to protect the alignment of the Pennsylvania and NYC area teams.
Oh, and separating Buffalo and Toronto makes just as little sense, if you decide to go there.

Here's an option:

Quebec CityToronto
MontrealToronto2
OttawaBuffalo
BostonPittsburgh
NY RangersCarolina
NY IslandersWashington
New JerseyTampa Bay
PhiladelphiaFlorida

At least it keeps Philadelphia with the NYC area teams, and puts Pittsburgh with Washington and not in a primarily Canadian Division.
But it doesn't look like an acceptable one either.

Last edited by MoreOrr: 01-30-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Old
01-30-2013, 10:15 AM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFan7824 View Post
Winnipeg isn't really west, it's just west of the ETZ. Big difference, and why so many CTZ teams have so many issues.
And here I thought that everything west of the ETZ was "west".

The CTZ teams are the real reason why there should not be a East-West split in the League, on top of there needing to be a couple of ETZ teams just to complete a "Western" Conference.

And, due to the bias of the East, I don't think we should think that the East - West Conferences are going away any time soon.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:51 PM
Grudy0

Rather than continually reinventing the wheel...

Last season, the NHL approved the four-conference setup as of early December 2011, only to have it scuttled by the NHLPA in early January 2012. The reason it was scuttled was because the NHLPA felt they didn't have enough information regarding both the travel under the new alignment and the "unfair" playoff format, so the NHL said there wasn't enough time as of January 2012 for a schedule to be drawn up for the 2012-13 season.

Fast forward to now. Is there enough time to implement a realignment approval by both the NHL and the NHLPA? We're almost a month further along in the timeline than where we were last year, and realignment talk has been almost nil.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:11 PM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grudy0 View Post

Last season, the NHL approved the four-conference setup as of early December 2011, only to have it scuttled by the NHLPA in early January 2012. The reason it was scuttled was because the NHLPA felt they didn't have enough information regarding both the travel under the new alignment and the "unfair" playoff format, so the NHL said there wasn't enough time as of January 2012 for a schedule to be drawn up for the 2012-13 season.

Fast forward to now. Is there enough time to implement a realignment approval by both the NHL and the NHLPA? We're almost a month further along in the timeline than where we were last year, and realignment talk has been almost nil.
I think everyone knew there was going to be a lockout, and probably knew, almost to the minute, on what day a new CBA would be signed. The whole thing seemed like such a production. I think the lack of information, or unfair playoff formats, or even the BoG meeting that chose that new alignment, was all just wasting time. Something needed to be done because of Winnipeg, but nothing was ever going to happen until after the lockout. It was all for some weird show that nobody wanted to see.

They came up with a schedule for this season fairly quickly. They changed some dates up, got this to fit with that, plugged this here, and took that out there, and here we are. Realignment is still an issue, one that is never solved easily, so I would think there's people around the league and PA talking about it.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:37 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grudy0 View Post

Isn't there a January 31st deadline coming up for something,
And if I remember correctly, in the late fall of 2011, I think Bettman was saying that a realignment decision had to be made absolutely no later than early February, but that he certainly was hoping that it would be done before then.
So, if there's something the League actually feels it needs to make public in this regard, I'd be looking to hear it over the next two weeks.

Old
01-30-2013, 03:41 PM
coolboarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Right Price View Post
Northwest Divison

Calgary Flames
Chicago Blackhawks
Edmonton Oilers
Minnesota Wild
Vancouver Canucks
Winnipeg Jets

Pacific Division

Anaheim Ducks
Colorado Avalanche
Dallas Stars
Los Angeles Kings
Phoenix Coyotes
San Jose Sharks

Southern Division

Carolina Hurricanes
Columbus Blue Jackets
Florida Panthers
Nashville Predators
St. Louis Blues
Tampa Bay Lightning

Atlantic Division

New Jersey Devils
New York Islanders
New York Rangers
Philadelphia Flyers
Pittsburgh Penguins
Washington Capitals

Northeast Division

Boston Bruins
Buffalo Sabres
Detroit Red Wings
Montreal Canadiens
Ottawa Senators
Toronto Maple Leafs

5 Divisons with 6 teams each.
IF you go with 5 divisions with 6 teams per division, your set-up would cause a ton of travel for CTZ teams such as Dallas, Minnesota, Chicago and Winnipeg.

If I am forced to go with 5 division format, I would prefer that realignment and if Phoenix moves to Quebec, the bold will appear if it happens and I will adjust other teams to a proper division alignemnt:

Pacific Division:
Vancouver
Calgary
Edmonton
LA
Anaheim
San Jose

Mountain Division:
Colorado
Phoenix (Chicago)
Dallas
Winnipeg
Minnesota
St. Louis

Central Division
Detroit
Chicago (Montreal)
Buffalo
Toronto
Ottawa
Pittsburgh (Boston)

Southern Division:
Washington
Carolina
Columbus
Nashville
Tampa Bay
Florida

Northeast Division
Montreal(Quebec City)
Boston (Pittsburgh)
New York Rangers
New York Islanders
New Jersey
Philadelphia

Old
01-31-2013, 03:53 AM
knorthern knight

vCash: 314
Quote:
And here I thought that everything west of the ETZ was "west".

The CTZ teams are the real reason why there should not be a East-West split in the League, on top of there needing to be a couple of ETZ teams just to complete a "Western" Conference.

And, due to the bias of the East, I don't think we should think that the East - West Conferences are going away any time soon.
Both the CFL and the NHL have Winnipeg in the East

http://cfl.ca/standings/2012/reg

http://www.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm...d=nav-stn-conf

Old
01-31-2013, 04:21 AM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 1322
Quote:
CFL only has them there till Ottawa comes back

Also, if Phoenix moves to QC

Smythe
Van
Cgy
Edm
LA
SJ
Ana
Col

Norris
Wpg
Min
Chi
Stl
Nsh
Det
Clb
Dal

Adams
QC
Mon
Ott
Tor
Bos
Buf
Car

Patrick
NJ
NYR
NYI
Pit
Phi
Wsh
Flo
TB

Playoffs

Round 1 and 2 are divisional, round 3 is conference

To appease the "unbalanced" Norris-Smythe, and Patrick-Adams cross overs.

Flo, TB, Car are still a problem, but this way the Florida teams travel slightly less, and even though Carolina gets more travel, they don't get as much as Flo/TB will have had.

Also is Seattle/Southern Ontario expansion proof as they would be obvious fits in the 7 team divisions

Old
01-31-2013, 05:03 AM
Jnr78

Using the four conference model the league approved 2011, could a second Toronto team be put in another conference than the one with the Leafs? Maybe in the one with Detroit and Chicago or with New York?

After expansion to 32 teams:

Atlantic/Patrick Conference

Carolina Hurricanes
Columbus Blue Jackets
New Jersey Devils
New York Islanders
New York Rangers
Philadelphia Flyers
Pittsburgh Penguins
Washington Capitals

Eastern/Adams Conference

Boston Bruins
Buffalo Sabres
Florida Panthers
Montreal Canadiens
Ottawa Senators
Quebec Nordiques
Tampa Bay Lightning
Toronto Maple Leafs

Central/Norris Conference

Chicago Blackhawks
Dallas Stars
Detroit Red Wings
Minnesota Wild
Nashville Predators
St. Louis Blues
Toronto 2
Winnipeg Jets

Western/Smythe Conference

Anaheim Ducks
Calgary Flames
Colorado Avalanche
Edmonton Oilers
Los Angeles Kings
Phoenix Coyotes/Seattle
San Jose Sharks
Vancouver Canucks

Old
01-31-2013, 06:49 AM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnr78 View Post
Using the four conference model the league approved 2011, could a second Toronto team be put in another conference than the one with the Leafs? Maybe in the one with Detroit and Chicago or with New York?
It could but what would be the sense of that. It would be like putting the NY Islanders in another Division (forget Conference) separate from the Rangers, or Anaheim in another Division separate from LA. And Buffalo is virtually like New Jersey in that NY scenario.

If there's any real thought of a 32-team League having another team in southern Ontario, then there needs to be space left for that team in the Northeast Division.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:06 AM
HugoSimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboarder View Post

Central Division
Detroit
Chicago (Montreal)
Buffalo
Toronto
Ottawa
Pittsburgh (Boston)

Southern Division:
Washington
Carolina
Columbus
Nashville
Tampa Bay
Florida

Northeast Division
Montreal(Quebec City)
Boston (Pittsburgh)
New York Rangers
New York Islanders
New Jersey
Philadelphia
The western selections were fine, however I`d have the 3 eastern ones are problematic.

I`d`canabalize southern division.

I`d put the hurricanes with the atlantic.

The nordiques with the nor east.

Than florida tbl, and washington in with nashiville columbus, and detroit.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:19 AM
Pilky01
@JamesD_TO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post
Phoenix-proof realignment, you can switch the Florida teams into the North Division if you like:

This is how I would align them if I had my way.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:25 AM
Jnr78

32 teams, four conferences of eight teams. What would be the schedule format? I know the NHL talked about playing every team at least two times but with that format and eventually (?) expansion to 32 teams that's 48 out of conference games leaving 34 games for conference play (if they want to remain at 82 games).

To get some more conference matchups, how about this:

6 games against teams in your conference: 42 games
2 games against teams from two of the other conferences: 32 games
1 game against teams in the remaining conference: 8 games

You could rotate the conference you play only once a year and also rotate who in that conference you play home and away, so that all teams could visit every arena as many seasons as possible.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:23 AM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnr78 View Post
32 teams, four conferences of eight teams. What would be the schedule format?
Can we just forget this 4 Conferences idea, please! 8-team Divisions are too ****ing large, and 8-team Conferences are too bloody small. I want more games against a greater number of teams; I don't want rivalry potential limited to just the 7 teams in my team's Division. And I want to keep the two opposing Conferences structure. Maximum 3 Conferences, with 30+ teams. If the League ever gets to 40 teams (hopefully never) then they can have 4 Conferences, perhaps.

4 Divisions, 2 Conferences, East vs West if it must continue to be that restricted structure.
Scheduling:
4 x 15 (60 games) within the Conference, divided into two Divisions with closer rivals grouped together and fighting for the Division title. Only the top 2 seeds guaranteed Playoff spots though.
2 x 8 (16 games) against 8 teams, perhaps not necessarily one specific Division, in the other Conference.
1 x 8 (8 games) against the other 8 teams in the other Conference.
84-game Regular Season.

*Note, if teams are playing an equal number of games against all teams in a 2-Conference structure, then forming those 2 Divisions within the Conference becomes less problematic.
For example, a year ago when the owners were trying to hammer out the new Divisions, Pittsburgh argued that no way it was being put into another "Conference"/Division if it meant that they would play the Flyers only 2 times in a Season. Of course, they didn't want to be put in the NE regardless, but that proposed scheduling structure just made the option that much worse.

Playoffs:
Approximated 1st Round Divisional Playoff.
An approximated 1st Round Divisional Playoff guarantees at least six 1st Round Divisional matchups, and perhaps even the full 8 if it works out that the top-4 in each Division actually do make the Playoffs.

Last edited by MoreOrr: 01-31-2013 at 11:29 AM.
Old
01-31-2013, 11:20 AM
Grudy0

Quote:
Can we just forget this 4 Conferences idea, please! 8-team Divisions are too ****ing large, and 8-team Conferences are too bloody small. I want more games against a greater number of teams; I don't want rivalry potential limited to just the 7 teams in my team's Division. And I want to keep the two opposing Conferences structure. Maximum 3 Conferences, with 30+ teams. If the League ever gets to 40 teams (hopefully never) then they can have 4 Conferences, perhaps.
Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner...

Here's where the problem lies:
Quote:
4 Divisions, 2 Conferences, East vs West if it must continue to be that restricted structure.
Scheduling:
4 x 15 (60 games) within the Conference, divided into two Divisions with closer rivals grouped together and fighting for the Division title. Only the top 2 seeds guaranteed Playoff spots though.
2 x 8 (16 games) against 8 teams, perhaps not necessarily one specific Division, in the other Conference.
1 x 8 (8 games) against the other 8 teams in the other Conference.
84-game Regular Season.
The problem therefore is figuring out the teams that should be shipped out to play teams in the Mountain or Pacific Time Zones.

Trust me, if you went by the schedule matrix above, you'll see why it doesn't work well at all for teams in the Western conference. If Detroit or Columbus are to remain in the Western, this structure is no different than current.
Quote:
*Note, if teams are playing an equal number of games against all teams in a 2-Conference structure, then forming those 2 Divisions within the Conference becomes less problematic.
For example, a year ago when the owners were trying to hammer out the new Divisions, Pittsburgh argued that no way it was being put into another "Conference"/Division if it meant that they would play the Flyers only 2 times in a Season. Of course, they didn't want to be put in the NE regardless, but that proposed scheduling structure just made the option that much worse.
Of course, so the problem isn't as much the "Conferences" as much as it is the matrix.

And that matrix was put into effect to placate the Western Conference. It's no coincedence that the rumored 26-4 approval vote didn't have any Western Conference teams voting against it. Therefore, why don't the Western Conference teams go with the NHL-approved structure, and change the scheduling matrix (and even the playoff qualification) for the Eastern, where the rivalries go a little deeper? That would more easily be palatable for most of the Eastern Conference teams (and from what it appears here, the fans).

Closed Thread