HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Flyers - HOCKEY IS BACK!

Old
01-19-2013, 06:41 PM
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
What? If anything, there's a pretty healthy divergence of opinion here today, aside from the universal Sutter love.
Talking about the Jeffrey hate.

MrBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I'm surprised people are saying it was a crappy game (quality). It really wasn't bad for a regular season game. That's what I expect at the beginning of the year. I didn't think it was too poor for a regular season game. The chemistry was off.. but the quality was still pretty good.

Also a great comment made on the last page about the Pens staying out of the antics of the Flyers. There was no frustration.
Yep, especially neither Sid nor Geno bit. I was really watching that today.

BTW, I'll have to watch, but it sure seemed to me today that 'gang ****' remains an accepted method for defending Geno under the new CBA.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
Talking about the Jeffrey hate.
You thought he didn't blow? And, I'm not just talking about the one or two really egregious plays.

Old
01-19-2013, 06:42 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Huge props to the whole team for just forgetting about last season and getting it done.

Malkin didn't really do much in this game which was dissapointing as I expected more from him what with his KHL exploits. I can understand Crosby being rusty but he really was ineffective today. Give him a couple of games though and he'll be fine I'm sure.

Sutter was my biggest positive though. Huge coup return for us. Amazingly good. Speed, quick draw, passing. He's got it all.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

+ Sutter (it feels as though Staal's defense never left, and that's a HUGE plus)
+ Fleury (just flat out held the fort down tonight. we needed that effort from him...)
+ Martin (still in the doghouse, but made a nice case tonight for coming out of it)
+ Engelland (keeping the worthless bozos Rinaldo and Simmonds in line for the most part)
+ 2 points vs Philthadelphia in their house, in regulation, to start the season

- Top two lines (especially Crosby and Malkin; not that they were terrible, but they were uncharacteristic of how they should have played)
- Refs trying their damnedest to ensure that the Flyers would tie it (Engelland's interference call... that tripping call early on from the faceoff... really?)
- Philthadelphia fans whining about officials, Bryzgalov, Crosby, etc.
- Hartnell
- Giroux
- the worthless burger-flipping Rinaldo

domaug* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
You thought he didn't blow? And, I'm not just talking about the one or two really egregious plays.
Not even close. He wasn't great, but he wasn't even close to as bad as people are claiming.

Old
01-19-2013, 06:43 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
He never played on the first PP unit. But Giroux misses him five on five, imo. Jagr draws attention. He's probably not even better than Brayden Schenn at this point, but he makes Giroux better.

But no, Jagr wasn't a PP factor last year. The five guys they put out there today were the usual first unit for them last year. Jagr used to play with Briere and JVR and the rest of the second unit.
Pretty sure he did for most the season & playoffs.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 06:43 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandshakeLine View Post
HF's whole raison d'etre IS confirmation bias.
Put your faith in ColePens! The most unbiased post-game write up in alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll of sports entertainment!

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 06:44 PM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Quote:
Put your faith in ColePens! The most unbiased post-game write up in alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll of sports entertainment!
Because I have put my faith in ColePens, I know this to be true! Why else would I have put my faith in him?

HandshakeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 06:45 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
Interesting seeing the comments on Tangradi, very polarizing. Wonder if everyone is being objective, or rolling knee deep in some confirmation bias.
I think everyone is being objective. We're just applying different standards. In the same way that most believe that Sid needs a second wheel on his line, most thing Geno and Neal, as things stand now, could do for an upgrade when the playoffs come.

So, if you look at it from that perspective only, then the instant reaction is to say 'Tangradi doesn't cut it'. From my perspective, I'd agree on the one hand. On the other hand, I saw enough good things from his game today to think that he's got the potential to cut it.

Most may have a different opinion, but I'm looking at Tangradi as I look at Despres. The question isn't so much the minutia of his game but whether or not keeping him is a decision you will come to appreciate in March and April.

It was very small baby steps in game one for Tangradi, but he made them.

Old
01-19-2013, 06:45 PM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Malkin didn't really do much in this game which was dissapointing as I expected more from him what with his KHL exploits.
The KHL is a whole 'nother style of playing, holmes. Geno looked like he's missing the larger ice quite a bit too, I think.

And he's not the only one. A lot of the guys who were playing in the Extraligas here in the Czech Republic/Slovakia or in the KHL look like they're used to having an extra second or foot of space that just isn't there in the NHL.

HandshakeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 06:46 PM
Sorry

Paul Martin scored the first goal of the season for the Pens. Gotta love it.

Sorry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 06:47 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

vCash: 1067
Also, an extra plus to Bylsma for doing what I wanted to see more of: playing Sid on the PK more often. 1:25 ice time SH tonight for Sid.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Most important fact is that it was game #1.

You're gonna see some good and bad, it's when you see stuff in a week or two when we should be serious about judgement.

B+ for the team as a whole for the first game.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

I don't think the shutdown pairing will survive. We definitely need help in the top four. Don't like Niskanen-Letang together. I do like Niskanen playing left defense, though. He's always available for the big one timer. I like that.

Glass is solid. He's more of what we have, alas, but he will be effective here.

I feel bad for Jeffrey. Gets a big shot and has a terrible game. He'll probably get buried now. Vitale is probably a more natural fourth liner, anyway.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

And truthfully...this is a HUGE win for the Pens. It doesn't hurt or help the Flyers, but the Pens needed a win against the Flyers in a big game. Recently, we have been their *****. Today I didn't have that feeling of "oh here we go..." or frustration. Probably because I didn't feel that same thing in the players.

But hey - it's one game. Just keep the train on the tracks.

Old
01-19-2013, 06:48 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
I don't think the shutdown pairing will survive. We definitely need help in the top four. Don't like Niskanen-Letang together. I do like Niskanen playing left defense, though. He's always available for the big one timer. I like that.

Glass is solid. He's more of what we have, alas, but he will be effective here.

I feel bad for Jeffrey. Gets a big shot and has a terrible game. He'll probably get buried now. Vitale is probably a more natural fourth liner, anyway.
I focused on Martin pretty hard today. He was physical and all over Giroux on a couple of shifts. I'm not sure how many they played against one another, but he definitely did well. I actually felt urgency in his game for the first time he's been in Pittsburgh. I hope he sticks with it.

Another guy who redeemed himself is Tyler Kennedy. He was absolute **** last year. His speed and tenacity looks back in full force.

Old
01-19-2013, 06:48 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
Pretty sure he did for most the season & playoffs.
Nope. Hartnell, Giroux and Simmonds always up front. Timonen and another forward on the point, usually Voracek.

Ask Flyers fans. They know. OR, you could as Jagr fans. Like me.

Old
01-19-2013, 06:49 PM
Whale Mingo

+ PK, seriously just amazing consider the thumping it took 6 months ago in that building.
+Fleury
+Puck management in our own end.
+Not playing the Flyers game, staying composed and getting the job done.

-The "top" line. It's too early to jump in the camp that thinks Shero needs to go get some wingers for Crosby, but Dupuis has never really filled the bill and Kunitz shows times of ineptness (like today). It's only one game so we'll see where this goes.
-Dan Bylsam for all he does right is still too much like Bill Cowher for my liking sometimes. Cower wanted to get a FG lead and sit on it for 55 minutes. Again, one game is not a large enough sample to tell if that's what is happening, but it sure had that look today of a team trying to hang on to a one goal lead for nearly 40 minutes.

Having said that, my final + is that they did indeed hold onto that lead for over 39 minutes.

Whale Mingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward

I thought the team defense tonight looked great, and Martin-Orpik did well.

This game was playoff-esque and they all acquitted themselves very well.

Old
Jacques G
Glassic

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
Interesting seeing the comments on Tangradi, very polarizing. Wonder if everyone is being objective, or rolling knee deep in some confirmation bias.
Here's the problem for me - I got really use to seeing Kunitz on that line, and powering the **** out of anything that came in front of that net. The guy plays like he's 6'5 and 230 pounds. He doesn't give ice to anyone, and it payed off on that line. They scored a ****-ton of points that way.

Then I look at Tangradi. He is fighting for the puck along the boards almost exclusively, and when Malkin / Neal get it, there is traffic in front of the net. That kind of play could work if Tangradi was a playmaker, but he isn't. I truly think if he wants to succeed on that line he needs to plant himself in front of that net and play like the big body he is. Think about how Byfuglien played when he was playing as a forward on the Hawks. That's how I want to see Tangradi playing.

Jacques G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandshakeLine View Post
The KHL is a whole 'nother style of playing, holmes. Geno looked like he's missing the larger ice quite a bit too, I think.
With respect, and I'll say it again, Geno didn't play like a guy who missed the KHL. He played like a guy who's spent the last three months being coached by Paul Maurice. Play responsible defense. Backtrack. Play responsibly with the puck. Take only the smart, calculated chances. You add that to the fact that playing with Tangradi means a larger defensive burden for Geno and Neal, and I was happy with game one from him. It wasn't beast Geno mode, but there wasn't an ounce of laziness in his game today. The way I'd define it was smart: It wasn't there to press, and he didn't press.

Sometimes I wonder about this board. If Geno buries that 2 on 1 with Neal, how many people saying 'Geno didnt look good' are marveling about his game today?

EDIT: Two way game, what I saw from Tangradi-Geno-Neal today > playoffs Kunitz-Geno-Neal.

Old
01-19-2013, 06:50 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques G View Post
Here's the problem for me - I got really use to seeing Kunitz on that line, and powering the **** out of anything that came in front of that net. The guy plays like he's 6'5 and 230 pounds. He doesn't give ice to anyone, and it payed off on that line. They scored a ****-ton of points that way.

Then I look at Tangradi. He is fighting for the puck along the boards almost exclusively, and when Malkin / Neal get it, there is traffic in front of the net. That kind of play could work if Tangradi was a playmaker, but he isn't. I truly think if he wants to succeed on that line he needs to plant himself in front of that net and play like the big body he is. Think about how Byfuglien played when he was playing as a forward on the Hawks. That's how I want to see Tangradi playing.
You and me both. And, if he isn't, then Ray Shero needs to make a move.

Old
01-19-2013, 06:50 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
I focused on Martin pretty hard today. He was physical and all over Giroux on a couple of shifts. I'm not sure how many they played against one another, but he definitely did well. I actually felt urgency in his game for the first time he's been in Pittsburgh. I hope he sticks with it.

Another guy who redeemed himself is Tyler Kennedy. He was absolute **** last year. His speed and tenacity looks back in full force.
Giroux schooled him pretty good a couple of times, too. Overall, Martin looks A lot better on right defense, as he used to be in New Jersey.

Still, 47 more regular-season games until we hopefully buy him out. He's simply not worth the ticket.

Old
01-19-2013, 06:51 PM
Illinest

Paul martin was our best player imo. He was awesome. Also liked niskanen and neal.

Sutter played very well but the third line had nothing like the sort of puck possession that i'm used to. I am not at all dissatisfied with his performance or the trade that acquired him but he doesn't replace staal in my eyes.

Illinest is offline   Reply With Quote