HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lack of money is killing this team

Old
11-19-2013, 07:07 PM
The Fuhr*

vCash: 500
Lack of money is killing this team

23/30 clubs are within 6 million of the cap
The Sens have 11 million in space

More then 2/3 of NHL teams have the ability to put 2-4 more good players on the ice then us.

With the parity of today's game that puts us at a huge disadvantage

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 07:08 PM
HavlatMach9

What solution do you propose? Looking up where we stand in spending is simple, but anymore is a wasted breath.

HavlatMach9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 07:09 PM
dpw

but were rebuilding.

Oh wait

dpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BrawlFan

money can't buy effort…money can't buy leadership

You need have that in your culture

BrawlFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
PatrickEaves
We Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavlatMach9 View Post
What solution do you propose?
Step One: Obtain a billion dollars
Step Two: Buy the Ottawa Senators
Step Three: Win Stanley Cup

PatrickEaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 07:10 PM
Magix

Ok....? How many times do you need to keep saying this? Also this club's problems can't be fixed by 1 or 2 more expensive players.

Magix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 07:12 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

I agree to an extent. If we kept alfie, signed MacArthur and traded for Ryan I think we'd be a better team right now. That's an extra 5 million.

Spending money just to spend doesn't help though and the Ufa market was crappy.

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 07:13 PM
Hale The Villain

Agreed.

Imagine if we had Alfie and Gonchar on top of the other additions to this team.

Hale The Villain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 07:14 PM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavlatMach9 View Post
What solution do you propose?
Cheap young talent like the Islanders and Avs... lots of skill in there forward groups.

The other three teams with 11+ million in cap space are dreadful... Florida, Calgary and Buffalo. We are a little more talented then these clubs but not by much.

can't compete on a budget this low... need to be rebuilding with high draft picks, so you can eventually have another affordable talent to have a window.

Old
11-19-2013, 07:18 PM
Magix

So when this team was contending and murray was locking guys up, there were complaints(neil, kelly, fisher contracts) ...now we are coming out of a rebuild and there are complaints about not spending enough. Rock on people...

Old
11-19-2013, 07:20 PM
PatrickEaves
We Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by magix View Post
Ok....? How many times do you need to keep saying this? Also this club's problems can't be fixed by 1 or 2 more expensive players.
Actually, I'd argue that if this team had signed a legit top-4 defenseman instead of Joe Corvo (would have cost the team ~$2-4 million more), this would be a much better team.

Spending money just to spend money usually isn't worth it, especially when you're talking UFA's, but in some circumstances, you need to do it to compete.

PatrickEaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 07:22 PM
HavlatMach9

Well Islanders are right with us, the Avs have had three very, very high picks, but they've only just enjoyed short success. You might have a rare team, like the Blues, that end up successful despite their budget, but without spending, it's hard to be a contender.

But that will not change, no matter how many times it's discussed.

HavlatMach9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 07:23 PM
Magix

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrePetersson View Post
Actually, I'd argue that if this team had signed a legit top-4 defenseman instead of Joe Corvo (would have cost the team ~$2-4 million more), this would be a much better team.

Spending money just to spend money usually isn't worth it, especially when you're talking UFA's, but in some circumstances, you need to do it to compete.
Sure if the player was chara or another franchise d other than that I don't see how a player or two would be able to help this team play with more effort or stop all these bad decisions.

Old
11-19-2013, 07:25 PM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Sure if the player was chara or another franchise d other than that I don't see how a player or two would be able to help this team play with more effort or stop all these bad decisions.
you don't see how an injection of more skill could help effort and decision making?

More talent = better decision making = more production at both ends cause of better efficient system

Old
11-19-2013, 07:30 PM
Gil Gunderson

vCash: 1967
Quote:
One defenceman can change the make-up of D core, same with a top 6.

Lack of money makes it harder to deal. It's hard to make a deal when the condition is that the other team needs to take a crappy contract. We could have had Z. Michalek for basically nothing right now.

Gil Gunderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 07:31 PM
Magix

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Below View Post
you don't see how an injection of more skill could help effort and decision making?

More talent = better decision making = more production at both ends cause of better system
Well outside of the turris line who has been consistent on good decision making and effort this season? All of our other players have been inconsistent which is on effort level and coaching. Unless we should replace them all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Gunderson View Post
One defenceman can change the make-up of D core, same with a top 6.

Lack of money makes it harder to deal. It's hard to make a deal when the condition is that the other team needs to take a crappy contract. We could have had Z. Michalek for basically nothing right now.
This team hasn't had a game where everyone has been clicking (outside of that detroit game). Until then no magical player will help this team accomplish that.

Old
Senators65

vCash: 50
Didn't someone on this forum post a rumor that melnyk was looking for a partner?

Senators65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
agent2421

yep, I blame the Sens sucking 100% on Melynk and his financial whining. He won't be selling tickets if he can't put a decent team on the ice, no one wants to watch garbage. I'm sorry, but in the long run he'll lose more money because our stadium won't fill up since there's no point watching this mess. Also the worst possible thing that could very likely happen is Sens not making the playoffs this year .... not doing great next year and then Bobby Ryan deciding he doesn't want to stay in Ottawa which no one would blame him after this mess. So we lose Silfverberg who has potential to be an amazing player, Noesen and our first this year which could be high for nothing.

If Melynk doesn't start putting some money, making deals or attempting to get this team better, I think there's a 0% chance of Ryan signing with us and I wouldn't blame him at all for his decision.

agent2421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 07:32 PM
Johnny Hanson

This just in

Johnny Hanson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 07:36 PM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Well outside of the turris line who has been consistent on good decision making and effort this season? All of our other players have been inconsistent which is on effort level and coaching. Unless we should replace them all...
If we could spend money like most teams we could obtain Brian Campbell and Tomas Fleischmann.

I think if we added those two players we instantly become elite... another elite PMD to move the puck when EK sits for half the game... and another crafty offensive talent to help Spezza gaining the offensive zone.

I see how two players could make a huge difference.

Old
11-19-2013, 07:41 PM
thinkwild
Veni Vidi Toga

I cant see it, add those two and we are still looking for elite talent to take us over the top. just without any cap space left.

I remember when trading Fish and Kelly, most thought we were on a 3 yr rebuild, that great but elusive fan fantasy like Freedom 55. But Murray said he didnt think it would take that long, and he was right, we rebuilt back to the playoffs in 1 yr. Lately i've heard the idea of a 5 yr rebuild being tossed around.

I remember when we came into the league, the initial goal was a 7-11 yr plan to build a winner. Feels like we are on yr 23 of that or something to me.

We still have key roles held by young players needing development, doesnt seem like the time is right for spending now, more for development. At least thats what most seemed to think when we initially labelled this as one of the final years of a rebuild that we would require fan patience for.

thinkwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 07:43 PM
Magix

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Below View Post
If we could spend a more money like most teams we could obtain Brian Campbell and Tomas Fleischmann.

I think if we added those two players we instantly become elite... another elite PMD to move the puck when EK sits for half the game... and another crafty offensive talent to help Spezza gaining the offensive zone.

I see how two players could make a huge difference.
This team isn't having trouble moving the puck and have enough players that can score. They are having trouble sustaining pressure, turnovers, getting in on the forecheck, consistent special teams/goaltending and stupid pinching. Which are more on the players effort and coaching.

Old
11-19-2013, 07:45 PM
BrawlFan

This team is not a Brian Campbell and Fleishmann away from being any good. This team needs a Mike Richards type player

BrawlFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 07:48 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrePetersson View Post
Step One: Obtain a billion dollars
Step Two: Buy the Ottawa Senators
Step Three: Win Stanley Cup
Did you want to create the Kickstarter or should I?

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 07:50 PM
Senators65

vCash: 50
We should all invest in apple stock. Then we collect all the money and buy the sens ourselves.

Senators65 is offline   Reply With Quote