HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lupul extended - 5 years x 5.25m

Old
01-20-2013, 01:42 PM
Animal

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Ok so your on board with all the money thats dished out to unproven players. The list is long. Lupul has been traded 4 times. He seems to have proven himself over 1 with Leaf fans. The contract is too much too soon, U wait a month or two and what do u risk? Paying him 6 or 7? I doubt it. Lupul maximized his every dollar in this deal. He is payed more than Kessel, that makes sense? I like Lupul, buts its too much too soon.
In a condensed season, the last thing the team wants being a distraction is the lupul contract talks. This is a guy that scored 28 goals as a 23 year old, this isn't a 264th overall draft pick PA Parenteau that just scored 67 points out of nowhere. Lupul was a 7th overall pick, the talent was always there. And Kessel is paid 5.4 a year, lupul is at 5.25, not sure where you got that from.

Animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 01:44 PM
calcal798

Great signing. Its a good contract at a good length to lock up one of our core players.

calcal798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 01:46 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggs21 View Post
In a condensed season, the last thing the team wants being a distraction is the lupul contract talks. This is a guy that scored 28 goals as a 23 year old, this isn't a 264th overall draft pick PA Parenteau that just scored 67 points out of nowhere. Lupul was a 7th overall pick, the talent was always there. And Kessel is paid 5.4 a year, lupul is at 5.25, not sure where you got that from.
Yes thats right, my mistake. He is also injury prone, including last year. He had pretty serious spinal injuries. I think there should be more of a gap in pay between a young sniper who is a lock for 35+ goals and a top 5 snap/wrist shot in the league, with blazing speed. For me Kessel should be at 6 or 6.25. As much as Hall and Eberle. Lupul at 4 or 4.5 max is fair market value.

Grabovsko is 5.5 for the next 5 years. With his consistency, this is far too much. 4 million is fair. Grabo as much as i like the player he is overpaid as well.

mapleleaf979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 01:47 PM
deuce457

this is a much better contract than the grabovski deal, but im still not a fan of the length of the deal.

l Dont really see the need to rush and re-sign this core of players, i know lupul was only brought in a couple of seasons ago, but where has this team finished over the last 4-5 seasons? why bring the same core of players back? why is it so imperative to do so.

deuce457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 01:50 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce457 View Post
this is a much better contract than the grabovski deal, but im still not a fan of the length of the deal.

l Dont really see the need to rush and re-sign this core of players, i know lupul was only brought in a couple of seasons ago, but where has this team finished over the last 4-5 seasons? why bring the same core of players back? why is it so imperative to do so.
I agree. But Id like to see the dismantling of the MAcarthur, Kulemin, Grabo line. Im out of patience with them. The 3 of them are too inconsistent. Each have there nights of disappearing completely. Grabo is dis-engaged many nights and its frustrating. Other nights he is absoulutely flying. MAcarthur and Kulemin effort levels also vary in a big way. I dont think Carlyle will put up with this, so I hope change is seen.

Old
01-20-2013, 01:51 PM
eyeball11

Hmmmm.....I feel about this the same way I felt about the Wilson extension...would have preferred to wait until he'd delivered some goods. Contract is fair should he consistently hit the 60 point range. IMO Kessel will get around $7.5, so by my pay structure (which tries to allocate dollars by line), a first line should take up at most $18 M, which would leave us with $5 M for the #1 C.

I think this will just further the need to move MacArthur.

eyeball11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 01:52 PM
BertCorbeau
Global Moderator

Quote:
Yes thats right, my mistake. He is also injury prone, including last year. He had pretty serious spinal injuries. I think there should be more of a gap in pay between a young sniper who is a lock for 35+ goals and a top 5 snap/wrist shot in the league, with blazing speed. For me Kessel should be at 6 or 6.25. As much as Hall and Eberle. Lupul at 4 or 4.5 max is fair market value.

Grabovsko is 5.5 for the next 5 years. With his consistency, this is far too much. 4 million is fair. Grabo as much as i like the player he is overpaid as well.
The UFA market overpays in general, so an impending UFA player is bound to get more than people might think he deserves

When you compare those two contracts to the Zajac deal, they're more than reasonable .. The fact is that both Grabo and Lupul got a reasonable term/cap hit value relative to the rest of the FA market points to a good signing

BertCorbeau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 01:52 PM
TrueBlue86

he has had chemistry with kessel the 2nd half of 2011 season, as well as in 2012.

TrueBlue86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 01:53 PM
Stevie28

I'm happy.

Stevie28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 01:54 PM
The Blue Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
The player, we will see what Horton gets, I bet less, look up what David Krejci was signed to last year and compare his salary to Grabo's and Krejci is the better player, even Grabo fans will concede this.
Why do you keep comparing Grabo and Krejci's contracts? They're not even close to being the same. Krejci signed his deal as an RFA with a much lower cap.

The Blue Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 01:56 PM
Erdinger

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue86 View Post
he has had chemistry with kessel the 2nd half of 2011 season, as well as in 2012.
That is definitely worth paying a bit of a premium for. We need Kessel happy and productive and wanting to stay here.

Erdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 01:56 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertCorbeau View Post
The UFA market overpays in general, so an impending UFA player is bound to get more than people might think he deserves

When you compare those two contracts to the Zajac deal, they're more than reasonable .. The fact is that both Grabo and Lupul got a reasonable term/cap hit value relative to the rest of the FA market points to a good signing
Thats true. But If u look at hall and eberle at 6 million, it works the other way in that arguement. Would u rather have one of those 2 guys and pay that 750,000 gap? Pretty easy answer there I think. Eberle got 78 points last year and Hall is also one of the brightest young stars in the league. Kane and Toews are at 6.3. Those 4 guys are in the same pay scale area as Lupul and Grabo. U over pay a little bit too each guy and all of a sudden your at the cap and not in the playoffs and cant sign anyone. That seems to be the story in the last 6 years.

Old
01-20-2013, 01:59 PM
The Blue Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Never ceases to amaze me how many people levae this out of the equation.

RFA and UFA deals are not comparable AT ALL.
There's that and the cap being a lot lower than it is now.

Old
01-20-2013, 01:59 PM
TrueBlue86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdinger View Post
That is definitely worth paying a bit of a premium for. We need Kessel happy and productive and wanting to stay here.
not only that, he is perhaps the most comfortable out of anyone on the team playing in toronto and trying to be a positive face of the franchise

he is well spoken, and a great image for our team

he just fits in amazing with this team and i knew 100% we'd ink him

TrueBlue86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 02:01 PM
LV*
Free my bro Leivo

vCash: 4152
Quote:
Thats true. But If u look at hall and eberle at 6 million, it works the other way in that arguement. Would u rather have one of those 2 guys and pay that 750,000 gap? Pretty easy answer there I think. Eberle got 78 points last year and Hall is also one of the brightest young stars in the league. Kane and Toews are at 6.3. Those 4 guys are in the same pay scale area as Lupul and Grabo. U over pay a little bit too each guy and all of a sudden your at the cap and not in the playoffs and cant sign anyone. That seems to be the story in the last 6 years.
Hall, Eberle, Kane and Toews were all signed as RFAs, were they not?

LV* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 02:02 PM
The Blue Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstemperor View Post
It's not bad or good. A lot more risk than reward....I would have liked to see a smaller annual cap hit given the length, but the reality is he is a UFA and the contract doesn't even touch his late 30's.

I think it's a manageable contract given the current CBA.

By the way, I think this makes Dion expendable, IMO we should look to get rid of him quick.
Signing a LW makes a Dman expendable?

Old
01-20-2013, 02:03 PM
yakfish
"Holy Mackinaw!"

At almost 30 years old I think the contract term is too long. I don't have a problem with the amount per year. I just think it should have for 3 years maybe 4 at the most.

yakfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 02:04 PM
BayStBullies
Burn the Boats!

I like this signing; the Leafs acquired Beauchemin for free. They turned that into an epic trade to bring back Lupul; which is now a top line player. Sealing him to this 5 year contract makes that trade even more incredible. Lupul is a great character guy; who brings a lot to the locker room.

Not to mention that other guy Gardiner; who came in that trade. He looks to be pretty good.

An interesting wrinkle going back to the Lupul trade; the conditions for the 4th round pick were:

Quote:
Further to that point, the condition of the pick, according to ESPN.com's Pierre LeBrun, is that the Maple Leafs get a fourth-round pick if Lupul is on the Maple Leafs' roster for at least 40 games in 2012-2013; if not, the Leafs get a sixth-rounder.
It's a short season; but it could still be likely to get that 4th. It's still incredible to get a better pick in the condition that you play your top line player acquired in the deal MORE. This has to be one of the weirdest trades in history.

BayStBullies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 02:04 PM
The Blue Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot View Post
Should Connolly still show up on the cap? Bad contracts can't be buried in the minors anymore and they haven't used the buy out option on him at this point. Also, where does Lombardi's cap hit show up? The Leafs kept approximately $1.5 million of his hit in order to make the trade with Phoenix.

The Lupul deal feels like a year too long, but considering the contract Zajac signed earlier this week this deal is pretty decent.
Connolly's done after this year and we retained Lombo's salary, not cap hit. Even if we did take his cap hit it would also be done after this year.

Old
01-20-2013, 02:07 PM
The Blue Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpaws View Post
If Lupes has another strong year i'd have no problem giving him 6 mil or close to it however if he reverts back to his old form we're stuck overpaying him for 5 years . I just don't see how the risk outweighs the reward by signing him early .
He's usually on a 55+ point pace and what he got is around what a lot of those players have been getting, which has been pointed out in this thread.

Old
01-20-2013, 02:07 PM
rdawg1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakfish View Post
At almost 30 years old I think the contract term is too long. I don't have a problem with the amount per year. I just think it should have for 3 years maybe 4 at the most.
me,he's a skill player not much of a hitter so injury shouldnt hurt us TOO much with this(although he gets alot of little injuries).

I dont see it being much of a problem personally,good signing.

Great player to lock up!

rdawg1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 02:12 PM
The Blue Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebo View Post
Why is everything about grabovski with you?
Because he's the worst player to ever lace up a pair of skates in the NHL.

Old
01-20-2013, 02:12 PM
Parkdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Devil View Post
Connolly's done after this year and we retained Lombo's salary, not cap hit. Even if we did take his cap hit it would also be done after this year.
Toronto counts $1.5M of cap hit this year for the Lombardi trade. Connolly's salary this year is still on Toronto cap (minus $900K if he plays with the Marlies). Both are off the books after this year.

Parkdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 02:15 PM
Erdinger

vCash: 50
Has Connolly spoken to the media since being waived?

Erdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 02:18 PM
Sergei Berezin
You're Wrong

The thing is, this could be a steal if he proves that last year wasn't an anomaly.

Putting up near PPG numbers for the next 4 years would be ideal, and hopefully he continues to compliment Kessel.

Sergei Berezin is offline   Reply With Quote