HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Lupul extended - 5 years x 5.25m

Old
01-20-2013, 03:56 PM
MrLegend28

vCash: 500
do leaf fans ***** about everything? if he plays like he is, its a steal, if he gets hurt, he gots on LTIR and his hit is off the cap. Why are people complainining? What did you expect him to sign for 3 mil? lmao. Get real

MrLegend28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 03:56 PM
charliolemieux
No Lu-wiki Zone

When you get a guy who makes your young star score an extra 20pts a season, you keep him.

I saw this coming when he was given Lupes troops.
For those saying the Leafs should have waited, what if Lupul scored 30g and 70pts with Kessel again this year?

5.25M is cheaper than what you'd have to pay him after that.

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 03:57 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

yep, another year like last year and it costs way more than $5.25 to sign him.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 03:57 PM
bobbyflex

i was hoping for anything close to $5mil per. I'm extremely happy about this. Lupul bleeds blue

bobbyflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 04:00 PM
thewave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokil View Post
basically, the $1m we were with Tucker every year is now transferred to Lupul
Always look on the bright side of life...

You could do a lot worse for the NHL All star alternate captain of last year.

thewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 04:05 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post
Your numbers are wrong. Dion and Kessel take up approx 10 million in cap space today, with their potential raised the cap hit will not be as significant as you suggest. The Leafs do have the cap space to sign one of Perry or Getzlaf, no question, and I think they will actually have a chance at getting Perry here. Leafs are fine with cap space, and this was a good signing for an important player.
How much do you estimate it will take to extend Kessel and Phaneuf beyond the 13-14 seasons? I clearly pointed this out in my post.

10 million? I wonder if you misread my post. Kessel and Phaneuf are going to take less money? Really?

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 04:07 PM
thewave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
How much do you estimate it will take to extend Kessel and Phaneuf beyond the 13-14 seasons? I clearly pointed this out in my post.

10 million? I wonder if you misread my post. Kessel and Phaneuf are going to take less money? Really?
If dion wants more than 5 you let him go. That's absolute max.

Old
01-20-2013, 04:08 PM
AtotheT
Sick, Wicked & Nazty

Not a bad deal. I would have waited for him to play around 10-15 games before extending him but Nonis already believes he can consistently be the player he was last year. Call me crazy but if Nonis waited too long on Lupul and he exceeds his production from last year he would have commanded $6m in the open market.

AtotheT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 04:09 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Devil View Post
Why do you keep comparing Grabo and Krejci's contracts? They're not even close to being the same. Krejci signed his deal as an RFA with a much lower cap.
Given the Leafs overpaid Grabo, should they have let him walk or traded him for a first rd pick?

You probably won't admit this, but right now Bozak and Kadri are better options, did you watch the game last night?

Old
01-20-2013, 04:09 PM
Hyperglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by theremedial View Post
Agreed no way in hell Dion is worth more that $5 mill at this point in his career. He's not earning his current contract.

Hyperglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 04:10 PM
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013

Send a message via MSN to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Yahoo to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Skype™ to TML g u n n e R s*
Quote:
Given the Leafs overpaid Grabo, should they have let him walk or traded him for a first rd pick?

You probably won't admit this, but right now Bozak and Kadri are better options, did you watch the game last night?
Your right 1 game=whole season

TML g u n n e R s* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 04:12 PM
THHT

Good extension/contract/timing. Like him on our top 6 and hope this lights a fire under his ass.

THHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 04:12 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

Quote:

Kessel: 8yrs/$7m
Phaneuf: 8yrs/$6m

Old
01-20-2013, 04:13 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperglide View Post
Agreed no way in hell Dion is worth more that $5 mill at this point in his career. He's not earning his current contract.
last year, he was top-15 in points, goals, hits, icetime, and quality of opposition.

the only other two dmen to match that were two chumps named Chara and Weber.

Old
01-20-2013, 04:13 PM
Interactif

Quote:
He eats 25 mins a game, plays against the other team's best players, he is also one of the better D men in the league. Yet I suppose it is okay to pay Grabo 5.5M per year, somehow I don't see how one is more valuable than the other, given that clearly Dion is a core player on this team. You let him go, you have to find another 6M per D man out there. What are the chances of this? This D core is young, they need a veteran to show them the way. No way you let Dion walk, but again Dion is never appreciated on the Leafs board.

Old
01-20-2013, 04:15 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
Kessel: 8yrs/$7m
Phaneuf: 8yrs/$6m
That is what I originally posted, 13M to tie these 2 up. Not sure how my figures are wrong?

Old
01-20-2013, 04:16 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

Quote:
That is what I originally posted, 13M to tie these 2 up. Not sure how my figures are wrong?
they look right to me.

Old
thewave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML g u n n e R s View Post
But from one sample you can ascertain the trajectory, heading, velocity and dynamics as well as future for any and all players. It's all in the math just ask interacif

Old
Swervin81
aka LeafsSharksBoy

Fair deal, just this deal makes Grabo's look like "oy".

Swervin81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 04:18 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML g u n n e R s View Post
1 game in the NHL showed a lot, but to be accurate add on 30 games in the AHL, and 10 games at the end of the NHL season for Bozak and your inference is moot.

Nazem and Bozak are progressing just fine, and they have their best hockey still ahead of them.

Old
01-20-2013, 04:20 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot View Post
Should Connolly still show up on the cap? Bad contracts can't be buried in the minors anymore and they haven't used the buy out option on him at this point. Also, where does Lombardi's cap hit show up? The Leafs kept approximately $1.5 million of his hit in order to make the trade with Phoenix.

The Lupul deal feels like a year too long, but considering the contract Zajac signed earlier this week this deal is pretty decent.
They're both off the books next season as UFAs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody View Post
We don't need a #4 LW, Brown can play there. About the #3 LW, we have Frattin who is just tearing up the AHL.

So we can basically go for Getzlaf and Perry, after re-signing Kadri, Gunnarsson, and maybe Bozak (who I think would be a great #3, but we have McClement and Kadri).
Browns already there and Frattins waiver exemption is done soon and will be dealt if he can't crack the roster by then

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 04:21 PM
thewave

Quote:
He eats 25 mins a game, plays against the other team's best players, he is also one of the better D men in the league. Yet I suppose it is okay to pay Grabo 5.5M per year, somehow I don't see how one is more valuable than the other, given that clearly Dion is a core player on this team. You let him go, you have to find another 6M per D man out there. What are the chances of this? This D core is young, they need a veteran to show them the way. No way you let Dion walk, but again Dion is never appreciated on the Leafs board.
He is a fine 5m D. He was making more than Lidstrom 2010. I guess dion = lidstrom

Old
01-20-2013, 04:24 PM
Hyperglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
last year, he was top-15 in points, goals, hits, icetime, and quality of opposition.

the only other two dmen to match that were two chumps named Chara and Weber.
Oh hai Dion's agent!!

He's slow and lumbering, makes a lot of boneheaded plays, takes dumb penalties, has poor IQ. He's going to be 28 after this season, so he's no spring chicken either.

Lets be realistic here, I didn't say he sucks and I'd like to have him back. But not at $6 mil. a season for 8 years, as some are throwing around. Are you guys effing nuts?!?! $5 mill AAV, is a fair value for him and it's not lowballing, but he has a lot of flaws that Weber and Chara don't.

The fact that you compared him to those 2 who are Norris trophy candidates almost each season, means you don't know what you are talking about.

Hyperglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 04:24 PM
Interactif

Quote:
But from one sample you can ascertain the trajectory, heading, velocity and dynamics as well as future for any and all players. It's all in the math just ask interacif
There are always going to be naysayers for Kadri, he will look bad some games, he will tease us with his talent in others. But it would be foolish for anyone to not notice this is the most complete we have seen of Nazem since he was drafted by the Leafs. He's not a man in a boy's body anymore, he's solid and much more mature. Burke and Wilson almost messed this kid up, but if you are a Leafs fan, here is a guy we developed ourselves, and if his 30 games in the AHL and his opening season game and preseason is any indication, patience may have finally been rewarded. He's starting to look like the player we had hoped he would become.

Old
01-20-2013, 04:26 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperglide View Post
Oh hai Dion's agent!!

He's slow and lumbering, makes a lot of boneheaded plays, takes dumb penalties, has poor IQ. He's going to be 28 after this season, so he's no spring chicken either.

Lets be realistic here, I didn't say he sucks and I'd like to have him back. But not at $6 mil. a season for 8 years, as some are throwing around. Are you guys effing nuts?!?! $5 mill AAV, is a fair value for him and it's not lowballing, but he has a lot of flaws that Weber and Chara don't.

The fact that you compared him to those 2 who are Norris trophy candidates almost each season, means you don't know what you are talking about.
Dion is a quality #1 defenseman. If you don't think he is, you don't know what you're talking about.

and he has earned more Norris votes in his career than most other defensemen.