HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Soccer
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Soccer Discuss leagues around the world and the World Cup

Would you be in favor of expanding the world cup to have more teams compete?

View Poll Results: Would you be in favor of expanding the world cup? If so, how?
Leave the World Cup alone. 32 nations. Everything left the same. 42 82.35%
Keep it at 32 nations but give Europe less spots and spread it out a bit more! 2 3.92%
Expand to 40 teams but keep it at 8 groups of 5 (top 2 into 2nd round) 4 7.84%
Expand to 40, keep it at 4 per group total of 10 groups 0 0%
Expand to 64 teams! 1 1.96%
Drop it from 32 to 24 1 1.96%
Drop it from 32 to 16 1 1.96%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-19-2013, 05:42 PM
GarretJoseph*

vCash: 500
Would you be in favor of expanding the world cup to have more teams compete?

With a lot of African nations wanting more spots in future World Cups, would you be in favor of expanding future World Cup's to hold more teams? If so, what kind of format?

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 05:47 PM
vsk92
Alltid IFK

Not really there's nothing wrong with the current format

But I wouldn't complain if Finland go through due to this

vsk92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 05:55 PM
Schalkenullvier*

i would keep it as is

For the big teams, it's already not really a problem going through, so more teams would water it down even more. Same goes for more weak from other regions than europe.

Schalkenullvier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 06:14 PM
ProPAIN
I am the DANGER!

As much as I would love Belgium to have a better shot at making the WC, I think the current format is just fine.

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 06:19 PM
HajdukSplit

vCash: 100
Africa doesn't deserve any more WC spots in all honesty, the only arguement they have is only 5 of 50+ something countries qualify (a small proportion of their countries) but their results at World Cups haven't warrented an extra spot. If anything South America can probably qualify all teams with the exception of Bolivia and be competitive

I would keep it at 32, no reason to expand

HajdukSplit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 06:24 PM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

Awards:
No. When Africa gets better results they will get more spots.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 06:48 PM
cgf
Un-fire Roy

If anything Europe should get more spots, not less, as there's always a couple good european teams who don't get in because of the depth. But no I don't think they should mess with teh WC, it's pretty perfect the way it is now.

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 07:09 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

They aren't going to expand it until the next time England misses out.

Brad Tolliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 08:12 PM
chasespace

Don't really know how you could expand it without having a logistics nightmare. The tournament itself is already massive, no need to make it bigger.

chasespace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 09:51 PM
Captain Saku

Please no. 32 teams is a perfect format.

Captain Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:02 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Tolliver View Post
Truth.

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 01:44 AM
CRSeven
Ballon d'Or 2013

Leave it.

CRSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 03:54 AM
ck26
Alcoholab User

vCash: 141
Leave well enough alone.

I don't like the idea of taking spots from Europe; Europe plays the best soccer ... they've won 3 of the last 4, had 6/8 of the 2006 quarterfinalists and 3/4 2010 semifinalists.

ck26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 05:13 AM
VEGASKING
Welcome, NHL

No. No again so theres enough characters.

VEGASKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 05:32 AM
Stray Wasp

Don't expand the World Cup, just bribe the African officials to shut up and go away. A few hundred thousand more euros in their private Swiss bank accounts and they wouldn't care if you cut the finals down to twenty-four teams.

Stray Wasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 06:24 AM
villevalo

I'd like to see a removal of the crap teams and an addition of better teams, mainly European teams that missed out. At the moment the hardest international trophy to win is the Euro's and apart from Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay and a couple African nations, the World Cup misses a lot of international talent because it limits the amount of Euro team spaces.

villevalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 07:01 AM
mmk786

Do you want the best teams to play in the world cup or do you want a true representative of the world at the world cup? Thats basically the argument.

Right now its an amalgamation of the two. Personally I am okay with that though I do think Concacaf should only have 2 spots + 1 playoff.

mmk786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 07:14 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

I'm fine with one more team in each group.

But I think they should come from anywhere, and have to play to get in.

Take the next 16 highest ranked sides (based on a coefficient) and have them do a home and home qualifier knockout to get in.

It's good where it is, but I do think there are enough top level sides now where 8 more would improve the matches.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 07:15 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Tolliver View Post
Except, if the English FA ran things, they would of stopped the assignments of both rigged WCs.

England has no power.

Old
01-20-2013, 07:22 AM
villevalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmk786 View Post
Do you want the best teams to play in the world cup or do you want a true representative of the world at the world cup? Thats basically the argument.

Right now its an amalgamation of the two. Personally I am okay with that though I do think Concacaf should only have 2 spots + 1 playoff.
The true representation comes in qualification, all teams from all parts of the world have a chance of qualification, but because of the rules it means some teams from areas must get a spot, it leads to a reduction in quality overall.

There should be a system in which all countries from all parts of the globe get their chance for qualification, but the system should not prevent good teams getting through just because teams like New Zealand have managed to beat the Pacific Islands.

Old
01-20-2013, 07:40 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by villevalo View Post
The true representation comes in qualification, all teams from all parts of the world have a chance of qualification, but because of the rules it means some teams from areas must get a spot, it leads to a reduction in quality overall.

There should be a system in which all countries from all parts of the globe get their chance for qualification, but the system should not prevent good teams getting through just because teams like New Zealand have managed to beat the Pacific Islands.
It's the "WORLD CUP". While I do think the quality is reduced a bit, New Zealand's not a good representative of scorn. They drew with all three teams who were considered better than them, and did admirably.

Since it's the World Cup, the World should be represented in some fashion. Even if that means some minnows get put in the tournament. While most often they get bounced, you never quite know. That's part of what makes tournament style events interesting. It's why March Madness here in the States is such must watch TV. You never know when a cinderella can pull off something. Usually they don't, but it's fun to watch.

Old
01-20-2013, 07:45 AM
villevalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
It's the "WORLD CUP". While I do think the quality is reduced a bit, New Zealand's not a good representative of scorn. They drew with all three teams who were considered better than them, and did admirably.

Since it's the World Cup, the World should be represented in some fashion. Even if that means some minnows get put in the tournament. While most often they get bounced, you never quite know. That's part of what makes tournament style events interesting. It's why March Madness here in the States is such must watch TV. You never know when a cinderella can pull off something. Usually they don't, but it's fun to watch.
Like I said that representation comes from the qualification. Teams should earn their place in the competition, not be given it purely based on the fact that they are the best of an awful bunch in some barren area of the planet. The World Cup should be the best tournament in the world, showcasing the best talent in the planet. That doesn't happen at the moment. The Euro's showcases better football then the World Cup has done these days.

Old
01-20-2013, 07:51 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Then how do you explain New Zealand doing well at the last WC?

Part of their ranking does involve who they play.

I think the whole "Europe" is the best and should have X more members is silly. In the knockout stages, the true quality is shown, and that's what matters.

I've no problem with one or two minnows of the world getting in, because like I said, who knows how they will do. I had a good time rooting for NZ to do well, and they did.

Old
01-20-2013, 08:02 AM
villevalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
Then how do you explain New Zealand doing well at the last WC?

Part of their ranking does involve who they play.

I think the whole "Europe" is the best and should have X more members is silly. In the knockout stages, the true quality is shown, and that's what matters.

I've no problem with one or two minnows of the world getting in, because like I said, who knows how they will do. I had a good time rooting for NZ to do well, and they did.
As I remember correctly NZ parked the bus and managed to scrape two goals in a group which the other three teams, especially Italy played some pretty awful football. NZ managing to scrape 3 draws because of the ineptness of the other 3 teams proves, unfortunately nothing.

I'm not saying European teams should get in just because they are better. If you listen, my argument is that the system should allow the best teams to qualify, i.e. no regimented numbers of 'this amount of this federation in the WC'. If teams like NZ manage to qualify because they beat teams along the way then they should enter. If they qualify because they beat Fiji and Samoa, and ya know we need someone from OFC to qualify, then it's not advocating the best of the best. It becomes the best, and the rest made up of the best of the poor.

There should be no places guaranteed to teams from any federation, apart of course the host/hosts. As I've said many times so far, qualification should be allowed to any team, from any federation, but it should mean that the best teams in the qualification qualify, not regimented, predetermined lines of 5 teams from here, 4 teams from here etc.

Old
01-20-2013, 08:02 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Keep it as it is. The Euro's are being ruined with more teams and 32 teams is fine for the World Cup.

If the Africans want more spots that have to earn it with their rankings. They have close groups as the best teams have to beat the best of the rest to get through, that's why sometimes nations like South Africa miss out.

Shrimper is online now   Reply With Quote