HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Could Reimer be gone as fast as he came?

Old
01-19-2013, 09:04 AM
Philkessel

vCash: 500
Could Reimer be gone as fast as he came?

As the first game of the season in fast approaching I can't help but get an eery feeling like I had in 08-09 with the prospect of Toskala being the number 1 goalie again. We all remember the great 37 games Reimer played that got himself the number one job and a nice contract but this shortened season could spell then end of Reimer in the NHL.

Anyway I hope I am wrong or that Carlye has him on a short string or all the tankers around here will be very happy.

Philkessel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 09:06 AM
ForzaItalia

If Scrivens outplays Reimer this season then I can see Reimer getting traded at some point.

ForzaItalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 09:07 AM
Enhanced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philkessel View Post
but this shortened season could spell then end of Reimer in the NHL.
Could it not also spell the beginning of Reimer? Don't know why you take the negative. This shorten year could be the year it solidifies him into a true starter.

Enhanced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 09:08 AM
Philkessel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enhanced View Post
Could it not also spell the beginning of Reimer? Don't know why you take the negative. This shorten year could be the year it solidifies him into a true starter.
it could i have a half empty out look on reimer and when I watch him play he doesnt give me much confidence

Old
01-19-2013, 09:31 AM
RogerRoeper*

If he's terrible, yes. But let's wait and see. Toskala's issue was injuries. He never recovered from them. will Reimer?

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 09:33 AM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philkessel View Post
it could i have a half empty out look on reimer and when I watch him play he doesnt give me much confidence
He doesn't give you confidence based on how he played after his injury. You have to give him another chance. Prior to Gionta's hit, his career was off to a very good start.

Old
01-19-2013, 09:34 AM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enhanced View Post
It's frustrating on this board how people give up on young players so fast. Yet people want Bernier and think he's some future star.

To give up on Reimer is ridiculous. Yet so many have.

Old
01-19-2013, 09:35 AM
Christ

The jury is still out on Reimer. He had an excellent NHL debute two seasons ago that lifted everyone's expectations of him from decent prospect to potential #1 goaltender. Last season he was a yo-yo but his concussion early in the season, the wierd head games Wilson played with him and Gustavsson and the team's inexplicable collapse could not have helped Reimer's game.

That said, I personally don't care if Reimer or Scrivens becomes our number 1 this season just so long as someone does. In an ideal situation they both have excellent seasons but as any Leaf's fan over the past 7 years knows and ideal situation is a rarety these days.

Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 09:37 AM
Philkessel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
It's frustrating on this board how people give up on young players so fast. Yet people want Bernier and think he's some future star.

To give up on Reimer is ridiculous. Yet so many have.
I hope I am wrong about reimer it is just my opinion and I dont want bernier either.

Old
01-19-2013, 11:18 AM
sangreale

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
He doesn't give you confidence based on how he played after his injury. You have to give him another chance. Prior to Gionta's hit, his career was off to a very good start.
It is ridiculous how that little putz got away with that one. Payback is a biatch and hope she's in attendance tonight!

sangreale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:36 AM
Stephen

I've given up on Reimer. If he proves himself to be a great goalie, fantastic, but I'm basically looking at his 2011 run as a bit of a JS Aubin anomaly at this point and I'd like to see him looking more serious about regaining his form. He seems way too comfortable at times, like he's a fantasy camp kid or a seasoned vet who has nothing to prove... you have a lot to prove James Reimer!

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:38 AM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I've given up on Reimer. If he proves himself to be a great goalie, fantastic, but I'm basically looking at his 2011 run as a bit of a JS Aubin anomaly at this point and I'd like to see him looking more serious about regaining his form. He seems way too comfortable at times, like he's a fantasy camp kid or a seasoned vet who has nothing to prove... you have a lot to prove James Reimer!
I don't understand this thinking... when he played amazing for 35~ games is means nothing. When he plays like crap for 35~ games after a concussion he's written off at 24...

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:42 AM
Paris in Flames

Even in his "bad" year, Reimer was still a .900 goalie which sadly makes him the best goalie we've had since Belfour.

Paris in Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:45 AM
mapleleaf979

Scrivens is starting tonight. Reimer is not as good as others think he is. Reimer will be gone after this year.

mapleleaf979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:48 AM
SeenSchenn2
Itchin' For Mitch

Yup, it's hockey season.

SeenSchenn2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:51 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Is this Ben Scrivens last chance to become a NHL goalie?

Ben Scrivens
Goalie
Born Sep 11 1986 -- Spruce Grove, ALTA

Kind of looking like a career AHL keeper.

12 NHL games and he's over 26 years old.

Desjardins estimates that about 40% of the game is captured by Corsi analysis.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:53 AM
sangreale

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Scrivens is starting tonight. Reimer is not as good as others think he is. Reimer will be gone after this year.
Really? You think that is why Scrivens is starting tonight?

Old
01-19-2013, 11:55 AM
sangreale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Is this Ben Scrivens last chance to become a NHL goalie?

Ben Scrivens
Goalie
Born Sep 11 1986 -- Spruce Grove, ALTA

Kind of looking like a career AHL keeper.

12 NHL games and he's over 26 years old.
Just like Tim Thomas?

Old
01-19-2013, 11:57 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
I don't understand this thinking... when he played amazing for 35~ games is means nothing. When he plays like crap for 35~ games after a concussion he's written off at 24...
I didn't find him to be that amazing in his rookie year. He played solid hockey, which is more that we can say about most other Leafs goalies post lockout, but he did allow 3 or more goals in 18 of his 37 appearances, so he was quite beatable, but had good goal support. Last season he had consistently exploitable flaws in his game which could be a product of the Allaire teachings, or it could be limitations to his game.

Also, it was a bit of a curse for Reimer to have had an NHL contract during the lockout. I imagine he would have benefited a lot from getting AHL time to rebuild his game and confidence, but he's going to go in cold this season after a terrible 2011-12 campaign.

Of course it would be convenient if he found his game again and just put the goaltending issue to rest, but I'm not expecting that much out of Reimer this season.

Last edited by Stephen: 01-19-2013 at 12:03 PM.
Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 12:00 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangreale View Post
Really? You think that is why Scrivens is starting tonight?
I think its because Reimer has looked shaky in practise. Scrivens has in game form and thats the difference right now. I dont think Reimer will be in Toronto very long, to be honest.

Old
01-19-2013, 12:03 PM
sangreale

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
I think its because Reimer has looked shaky in practise. Scrivens has in game form and thats the difference right now. I dont think Reimer will be in Toronto very long, to be honest.
I think you are wrong. Or rather I hope I am right about the impact of his injury last season.

Old
01-19-2013, 12:05 PM
Ten

I don't think TSN ranked him as the worst starting goaltender in the Eastern Conference because they wanted to pick on us poor Leaf fans.

Compared to the bottom 5 in the west (DET - Howard, CHI - Crawford, EDM - Dubnyk, COL - Varlamov, CBJ - Bobrovsky/Mason), where would you rank Reimer?

Is it possible we might have the worst starting goaltender in the entire NHL?

Ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 12:06 PM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten View Post
I don't think TSN ranked him as the worst starting goaltender in the Eastern Conference because they wanted to pick on us poor Leaf fans.

Compared to the bottom 5 in the west (DET - Howard, CHI - Crawford, EDM - Dubnyk, COL - Varlamov, CBJ - Bobrovsky/Mason), where would you rank Reimer?

Every goalie listed there including Reimer is a question mark which is why they're ranked low. You don't know where to put them... some will post sub .900 SV%'s and some will post + .910%'s

Old
01-19-2013, 12:07 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten View Post

Yes I think we are in the bottom 3. Scrivens I like more than Reimer. But I have one issue with SCrivens. He holds his glove hand, like a baseball back catcher. Anyone notice this?

Old
01-19-2013, 12:07 PM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I didn't find him to be that amazing in his rookie year. He played solid hockey, which is more that we can say about most other Leafs goalies post lockout, but he did allow 3 or more goals in 18 of his 37 appearances, so he was quite beatable, but had good goal support. Last season he had consistently exploitable flaws in his game which could be a product of the Allaire teachings, or it could be limitations to his game.

Also, it was a bit of a curse for Reimer to have had an NHL contract during the lockout. I imagine he would have benefited a lot from getting AHL time to rebuild his game and confidence, but he's going to go in cold this season after a terrible 2011-12 campaign.

Of course it would be convenient if he found his game again and just put the goaltending issue to rest, but I'm not expecting that much out of Reimer this season.
.921 SV% and 2.6 GAA is pretty damn good... not to mention he was stealing games for us too.