HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alex Semin and Hurricanes agree to 5 year, 7 million avg deal

Old
03-25-2013, 05:20 PM
Novacane

vCash: 500
Alex Semin and Hurricanes agree to 5 year, 7 million avg deal

Quote:
Carolina Hurricanes sign Alex Semin, 5 years at $7 million per #TSN

https://twitter.com/aaronward_nhl/st...12322907963394

Novacane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 05:23 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Thank god. No doubt Semin is worth it. If he were a Canadian putting up these numbers, everyone would be fine with it, maybe even call it a steal.

Would love to hear from that Rocky guy.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 05:24 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
Holy cow... I didn't believe this would happen

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 05:24 PM
smi

Let the lazy floating begin

smi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 05:25 PM
Mr America

So much for the talk of getting him a little cheaper on the $$$ if they gave him a long term deal...

Mr America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 05:28 PM
Joe McGrath

All I can say is that JR better learn how to draft past then second round like two years ago.

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Novacane

Would have liked the dollar amount a little less but am not complaining. Have to wonder what's up with so much money locked up in a few players.

Novacane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Snipeshow

Surprised it cost them 7mil per, however this is good for you guys.

Staal to Semin for another 5 years. Nice.

Snipeshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 05:29 PM
FlyingSquirrels

Great stuff. Give JR credit for stepping up and at least TRYING to ice a solid team for the next few years.

Bottom line is we landed a top line talent for years to come. Didn't waste a prospect or pick to do it either. And thats tough to do nowadays with all these top tier guys getting long term deals.

FlyingSquirrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 05:29 PM
semin4captain

Now that this is done, they should seriously look into trading Skinner for a defenseman. Before this season that would have been unthinkable, but now they have a vastly superior hockey player locked up for only 1.25M/yr more than Skinner. It's the only way to address the defense long term. All you are getting otherwise at the deadline is some mediocre #4/5.

semin4captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 05:30 PM
Zombie Mike Murphy

In a world where Getzlaf and Perry are getting $8.5m+, $7m AAV probably IS a discount for term.

Zombie Mike Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 05:30 PM
xSup3rM4ri0x

Awesome signing for you guys. Hopefully he won't sit on this contract

xSup3rM4ri0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 05:31 PM
Zombie Mike Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaxing Joni Jokel View Post
Now that this is done, they should seriously look into trading Skinner for a defenseman. Before this season that would have been unthinkable, but now they have a vastly superior hockey player locked up for only 1.25M/yr more than Skinner. It's the only way to adress the defense long term. All you are getting otherwise at the deadline is some mediocre #4/5.
I'm a lot less against this than I was 6 months ago. Possibly even for a true high-end power forward type. After the second concussion he doesn't seem quite right in the head, and it might be a good idea to make a move before the rest of the league figures that out.

Wonder what it would take to get Subban from MTL?

Old
03-25-2013, 05:33 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Quote:
Now that this is done, they should seriously look into trading Skinner for a defenseman. Before this season that would have been unthinkable, but now they have a vastly superior hockey player locked up for only 1.25M/yr more than Skinner. It's the only way to address the defense long term. All you are getting otherwise at the deadline is some mediocre #4/5.
Right, like we're going to get a better d-man for a guy who isn't much better than Nigel Dawes.

Old
03-25-2013, 05:36 PM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troll Ward View Post
I'm a lot less against this than I was 6 months ago. Possibly even for a true high-end power forward type. After the second concussion he doesn't seem quite right in the head, and it might be a good idea to make a move before the rest of the league figures that out.

Wonder what it would take to get Subban from MTL?
Too much, I think. Likely Skinner and if we cough that up - well great, we've got a shiny new defenseman but the second line consists of Jordan Staal and plugs. As it is I think finding a solid right winger for that line, either internally or via trade, is a critical need.

garnetpalmetto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 05:37 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
NEVER 4GET

Wow. Exciting news for the future of this team. We are spending money and trying to compete in a way that quite frankly we never have before.

03-25-2013, 05:39 PM
Joe McGrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
Too much, I think. Likely Skinner and if we cough that up - well great, we've got a shiny new defenseman but the second line consists of Jordan Staal and plugs. As it is I think finding a solid right winger for that line, either internally or via trade, is a critical need.
More critical than a top pairing D that plays 20-24 minutes a night, a spot currently occupied by Joe Corvo?

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 05:39 PM
Zombie Mike Murphy

Doesn't hurt to be running about 90% capacity this season, + more investors to spread the risk. We might well be cap team next year. Hell, in the new division we almost have to be.

Old
03-25-2013, 05:45 PM
semin4captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
As opposed to the current second line, which consists of Jeff Skinner with brief cameos from his linemates whom he occasionally elects to pass to, but not after turning the puck over seventy-five times a game and getting scored against. Staal with Jokinen and Ruutu would be a much better line than what we have going now.

Old
03-25-2013, 05:46 PM
Lazyking
Never Forget

I'm fine with the move. Wanted Semin for a little less but if they feel confident in paying him that much that it won't hurt the team in the long run, then I'm all for it.

Lazyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 05:52 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Quote:
As opposed to the current second line, which consists of Jeff Skinner with brief cameos from his linemates whom he occasionally elects to pass to, but not after turning the puck over seventy-five times a game and getting scored against. Staal with Jokinen and Ruutu would be a much better line than what we have going now.
So we're supposed to get a top 4 d-man for a player as awful as Skinner?

Not sure if meth logic or bad trolling, or a combination of both.

Old
03-25-2013, 05:52 PM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McGrath View Post
More critical than a top pairing D that plays 20-24 minutes a night, a spot currently occupied by Joe Corvo?
What I'm saying is, in my opinion, trading off Skinner to gain Subban is robbing Peter to pay Paul. That top pairing Dman is a nice thing to have, but so is having multiple scoring lines. Sacrificing Skinner isn't the way to go about doing that.

garnetpalmetto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 05:53 PM
Blueline Bomber
Noah MAN-ifin

Cautiously optimistic about the deal. Wouldn't be the first time a player plays great for a contract, then plays less so after he gets paid.

Blueline Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 05:54 PM
BanginLikeaBiscuit
You touched us all

Props to JR for finally adding a legit top line winger, and doing so via free agency on a reasonable deal.

I was hoping for something like 4 years at 6m per, but like others pointed out, with Getzlaf and Perry getting well over 8m, this is a good deal for us. Also a great sign that we are committing 35m to a player, very encouraging to see the new investors allowing us the freedom to spend.

BanginLikeaBiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 05:54 PM
semin4captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McGrath View Post
I'm not sure how some can watch this defense year after year and never want to actually trade anybody of any worth for a good defenseman. There seems to be some strange line of thought that all we need is some physical bottom-pairing defenseman, as if getting "tougher" for 15 minutes a game solves the issue of the consistent presence of a terrible defenseman in the top 4, or two terrible defensemen when Pitkanen is hurt, combined with Justin Faulk and Tim Gleason not really being all that great when you evaluate it objectively instead of fawning over alleged physicality or age/potential. People have spent so much time scapegoating McBainguinetti that they have failed to notice the elephant in the room.