HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Miller/Vanek/Pominville

Old
02-24-2013, 04:29 PM
HogtownSabresfan

vCash: 500
Miller/Vanek/Pominville

I really think this a subcategory in the trade deadline issue.
The decision on these three will define us philosophically for next few years. Do you attempt to resign or start moving them now. With a year extra on each contract all three playing well, they'd command a ton.
Selling all three would restock the shelves in a very good way, if you trust the GM. We would suck in the aftermath. Probably means two years of top five picks.
Who is in on this strategy? My guess is not Pegula.

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 04:43 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

I'd be happy to see Vanek re-signed. The guy has given his body every year for this franchise and has frequently had little support.

Miller's frequent media comments, whether he's right or wrong, are starting to irritate me. I wouldn't shed any tears were he moved.

Pominville is a great support player, but if we could get a really solid package for him, I'll move him in an instant.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 04:43 PM
Best in the World

Miller and Vanek aren't going anywhere. Pominville I can see being traded. Sabres could trade Pominville for a 1st rounder but Pegula nor Regier would jump on that.

Best in the World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 04:46 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Best in the World View Post
Miller and Vanek aren't going anywhere. Pominville I can see being traded. Sabres could trade Pominville for a 1st rounder but Pegula nor Regier would jump on that.
Neither would I. Pominville for a 1st, a top tier prospect, and an almost-ready AHLer might get it done. What teams out there need a 70 point all situations RWer?

Old
02-24-2013, 04:51 PM
Squantosawuss

My biggest problem with Darcy was when he decided to pay some of the Rochester core players, first-line money.

As likeable as Pominville is, I NEVER thought he was a go-to clutch guy, certainly not Captain material. It seemed Darcy was forcing the issue, as if paying them star money was gonna make them play even better? I laughed about it a few years ago when he did it. Not laughing as much now.

It'll be VERY interesting to see if Miller re-signs. Of course the team may not want him for as much as he's been making.

Squantosawuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 04:55 PM
Best in the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackGroundMusic View Post
Neither would I. Pominville for a 1st, a top tier prospect, and an almost-ready AHLer might get it done. What teams out there need a 70 point all situations RWer?
I don't know if you've seen this thread but its all about possibly trading Pominville to Pittsburgh.
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1358761

I'm quite interested in some of these proposals.

Best in the World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 04:58 PM
Duddy
Everyday is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squantosawuss View Post
My biggest problem with Darcy was when he decided to pay some of the Rochester core players, first-line money.

As likeable as Pominville is, I NEVER thought he was a go-to clutch guy, certainly not Captain material. It seemed Darcy was forcing the issue, as if paying them star money was gonna make them play even better? I laughed about it a few years ago when he did it. Not laughing as much now.

It'll be VERY interesting to see if Miller re-signs. Of course the team may not want him for as much as he's been making.
And both Vanek and Pominville are first line players on nearly all teams in the NHL.
Vanek's overpaid no doubt, but Poms? hell no.

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 05:04 PM
ClearedButNotOut
Fixity

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squantosawuss View Post

I can't see any situation he'd re-sign...unless Pegula backs a dumptruck full of money up to his lap...and in that case it'd be stupid to spend that much on him...

The only way Miller may re-sign IMO is if we can Regier soon and a new GM comes in and makes some changes that might convince Miller we're moving in the right direction...outside of that I can't see him staying...

ClearedButNotOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 05:12 PM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

I have no interest in resigning Vanek to another big $ deal. He gets hurt every year and disappears for that stretch. He's taken a pounding, he's probably not going to play at a high level that much longer. Maybe he will, but I'd rather just move on.

It's always better to trade someone a year early than a year late

Miller, if he wants to stay for a reasonable amount, sure. I could see him wanting out though.

I'd be fine keeping Poms and even resigning him. Solid hockey player. That is contingent on him not being captain any more though, so we might have to trade him.

Karate Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 05:19 PM
Newcastlesabre
Rookie User

I think we need a re build in alot of areas, and the trading of some of the 'marquee' names may be the best way to do it. Can certainly see Miller leaving.

Newcastlesabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 05:25 PM
French Connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogtownSabresfan View Post
I really think this a subcategory in the trade deadline issue.
The decision on these three will define us philosophically for next few years. Do you attempt to resign or start moving them now. With a year extra on each contract all three playing well, they'd command a ton.
Selling all three would restock the shelves in a very good way, if you trust the GM. We would suck in the aftermath. Probably means two years of top five picks.
Who is in on this strategy? My guess is not Pegula.
If any body has watched this team for the last few years and know his spit about hockey would agree that Vanek and Miller have been priceless and the best players, Pominville can have a case as a dependable foot solder and also be retained, however the rest of the lot can be moved. Team is to small and not tough enough.

French Connection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 05:30 PM
Jamie Walker

pominville should get a first
vanek should get two: this year, and next year
miller should get two: this year, and next year
Leo, Regher, and stafford should get something

this draft is the one to do it in, if you're going to do it. plus we have alot of talent almost ready.

Jamie Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 05:32 PM
Der Jaeger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karate Johnson View Post
I have no interest in resigning Vanek to another big $ deal. He gets hurt every year and disappears for that stretch. He's taken a pounding, he's probably not going to play at a high level that much longer. Maybe he will, but I'd rather just move on.
I'd resign Vanek to a lesser contract. His game isn't based on movement, and once his play tails off from a high level, I can see him being a good secondary scorer for a long time. Like a better version of Holmstrom.

Der Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 05:43 PM
Takeo

The key to improving this team is leveraging 1st round picks. I would absolutely trade Pominville for a 1st. The Sabres' own high 1st round pick plus an additional one would give them tons of flexibility in the draft.

Vanek deserves a new deal. While inconsistent, he has elite skills and would be almost impossible to replace. There are few players with the ability to control a game single-handedly. He can do that.

I'm torn on Miller. I'd like to see him dealt, but I appreciate his marketability. That's important for the franchise.

Takeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 05:47 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
The key to improving this team is leveraging 1st round picks. I would absolutely trade Pominville for a 1st. The Sabres' own high 1st round pick plus an additional one would give them tons of flexibility in the draft.

Vanek deserves a new deal. While inconsistent, he has elite skills and would be almost impossible to replace. There are not a lot of players with the ability to control a game single-handedly. He can do that.

I'm torn on Miller. I'd like to see him dealt, but I appreciate his marketability. That's important for the franchise.
I agree with this. I'm not interested in 'dumping' Pominville, but if you can get a 1st you have to strongly consider it for a lot of reasons, especially in this draft. Vanek should be kept at every effort. I could go either way on Miller. We have no replacement. He may not want to stick around if we take any kind of step back roster-wise (e.g. trade Poms for a pick). I'd play that one based on what the options are and how things go down.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 05:54 PM
SoFFacet

Poms for TK, Maatta, 1st seems to be close based on the Buff-Pitt thread in the trade forum.

Keep Vanek, give him the C.

Not sure about Miller.

SoFFacet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 06:02 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Jaeger View Post
I'd resign Vanek to a lesser contract. His game isn't based on movement, and once his play tails off from a high level, I can see him being a good secondary scorer for a long time. Like a better version of Holmstrom.
I would have gone with Andreychuk, but Holmstrom probably makes more sense.

Old
02-24-2013, 06:04 PM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

Vanek deserves a new deal. While inconsistent, he has elite skills and would be almost impossible to replace. There are few players with the ability to control a game single-handedly. He can do that.

Well worded.

Vanek, even with his flaws, strikes me as the perfect mentor for Armia once he gets here.

Miller's expressed a few times how much he loves Buffalo and how badly he wants to bring a SC to Buffalo. While I don't think he'd necessarily give us a "hometown discount", I can't see him trying to soak TP either.......

Bottom-line for me: re-sign Vanek. Re-sign Miller if he's willing to be reasonable about salary. Trade Poms for a great return, otherwise re-sign him

Zman5778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 06:19 PM
rsg87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Walker View Post
pominville should get a first
vanek should get two: this year, and next year
miller should get two: this year, and next year
Leo, Regher, and stafford should get something

this draft is the one to do it in, if you're going to do it. plus we have alot of talent almost ready.
Put this in perspective, Paul Gaustad got us a first. Pominville is 10x the player Gaustad is. I wouldn't take just a first for him. He is an elite RW and I would want an elite return.

rsg87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 06:36 PM
Jamie Walker

all the better, plus the leino buy-out, and we save roughly 23 mil. you could probably fill a couple holes with that. (vanek, pom, miller, leino)

Old
02-24-2013, 06:39 PM
Jamie Walker

then leo, 3 regher, 4 staff, 4

Old
02-24-2013, 06:55 PM
HogtownSabresfan

I'm kind of in favour of trading all three or keeping all three, one or the other. If you let two go, and one is Miller, how competitive will you be?

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 07:46 PM
Cirris

Send a message via Yahoo to Cirris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Best in the World View Post
The way Pominville has been playing. You'll be lucky if you get a similar draft pick that Brad Boyes got St Louis when they shipped him to Buffalo. Noone is going to waste quality assets on a floating second line winger making 5+ million a year.

Both Vanek and Miller will be gone after next season. So you might as well ship them out now and get value in return.

Seriously, if the team wasn't going be a contender in the next year. It's really time to start flipping roster and change the makeup of this team.

This is why people groaned at Regier's big extension. They don't thing he's mentally capable of abandoning the "Rochester core" until it's way too late. It may already be too late.

Cirris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 07:51 PM
Deevo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirris View Post
The way Pominville has been playing. You'll be lucky if you get a similar draft pick that Brad Boyes got St Louis when they shipped him to Buffalo. Noone is going to waste quality assets on a floating second line winger making 5+ million a year.

Both Vanek and Miller will be gone after next season. So you might as well ship them out now and get value in return.

Seriously, if the team wasn't going be a contender in the next year. It's really time to start flipping roster and change the makeup of this team.

This is why people groaned at Regier's big extension. They don't thing he's mentally capable of abandoning the "Rochester core" until it's way too late. It may already be too late.
Your opinion is bad and you should feel bad.

Deevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 07:54 PM
McTank

I'd be okay with keeping vanek but I think 2 or 3 should be traded

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote