HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL. Game On!!!! (RoR Offersheeted by Calgary, Avs Match)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-28-2013, 04:54 PM
  #951
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity
 
HockeyH3aven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Buffalo NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,201
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGB24 View Post
The direction this team is headed, I'd rather not give up a potential Jones/Drouin/Mackinnon for ROR. All this talk about how we need an elite talent as part of our rebuild and how teams haven't won cups since 01 or whatever. Sure, ROR steps in and becomes a difference maker right now, but in 5 years I'm willing to bet a top 5 pick will become a greater difference maker, no guarantees or anything, but if we're really going through with this rebuild may as well maximize value
There's more than half the season left, and in addition there is a draft lottery as well. Banking on getting a top three pick at this point is not a good idea. This team can win six games in a row and be in 8th place in a month. It happens all the time.

HockeyH3aven is offline  
Old
02-28-2013, 05:00 PM
  #952
vcv
Moderator
Deal with it
 
vcv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Williamsville, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 13,443
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifagod View Post
The genius of this deal is that if Colorado matches, RoR will be an RFA after the deal and they'll be forced to give him a 6.5 million qualifying offer, while Landeskog and Duchene are also RFAs and Stastny is a UFA.
Yep. Pretty clever working by Feaster.

They also ensured that even though the base salary this year is low, they HAVE to pay $3M in total for this year.

Not a chance Colorado matches.

vcv is online now  
Old
02-28-2013, 05:04 PM
  #953
drinking bleach irl
POST MORE RECKLESS
 
drinking bleach irl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Virginia
Country: Ras al-Khaimah
Posts: 11,021
vCash: 300
If Colorado matches, bid low on stastny

drinking bleach irl is offline  
Old
02-28-2013, 05:16 PM
  #954
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life
 
enrothorne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Downtown Buffalo
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,507
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post


Classic HFboards logic, guys who aren't even drafted yet are guaranteed to be really good. RoR is already a very good #2 center in this league and you don't have to wait for any growing pains to be over: he's ready to produce right now.
While I'm not arguing one side or the other, a draft pick is on an ELC and that does matter in today's cap world. O'Reilly will be getting $6.5M. That's a HUGE difference.

enrothorne is offline  
Old
02-28-2013, 05:18 PM
  #955
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity
 
HockeyH3aven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Buffalo NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,201
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by enrothorne View Post
While I'm not arguing one side or the other, a draft pick is on an ELC and that does matter in today's cap world. O'Reilly will be getting $6.5M. That's a HUGE difference.
His cap hit will be $5 million for two years.

That is correct, and would definitely matter when making that is decision.

HockeyH3aven is offline  
Old
02-28-2013, 05:21 PM
  #956
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!
 
BUCKSHOT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 17,646
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
could we get all the RoR offer sheet in one thread ?

__________________






BUCKSHOT is offline  
Old
02-28-2013, 05:25 PM
  #957
LGB24
Registered User
 
LGB24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,591
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
There's more than half the season left, and in addition there is a draft lottery as well. Banking on getting a top three pick at this point is not a good idea. This team can win six games in a row and be in 8th place in a month. It happens all the time.
I understand that, thats why I said the direction we are headed. Sure we still COULD make the playoffs, but I don't anticipate us to get that much better. We have to many weaknesses to make a consistent push that I think the chances of us drafting in the top 5 at this point are greater than the chances we don't. Im not saying my view is the right one, but personally I would just rather not give up the picks for him given the information of the first 20 games.

LGB24 is offline  
Old
02-28-2013, 05:30 PM
  #958
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity
 
HockeyH3aven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Buffalo NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,201
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGB24 View Post
I understand that, thats why I said the direction we are headed. Sure we still COULD make the playoffs, but I don't anticipate us to get that much better. We have to many weaknesses to make a consistent push that I think the chances of us drafting in the top 5 at this point are greater than the chances we don't. Im not saying my view is the right one, but personally I would just rather not give up the picks for him given the information of the first 20 games.
Fair enough, I would. I think part of the reason why would be that I would have absolutely no reason to want them to lose games anymore. As a fan, it's an uncomfortable place to be.

HockeyH3aven is offline  
Old
02-28-2013, 05:41 PM
  #959
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life
 
enrothorne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Downtown Buffalo
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,507
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
His cap hit will be $5 million for two years.

That is correct, and would definitely matter when making that is decision.
Yes but some teams concern themselves with actual money over cap hit. I'm assuming Colorado is one of them. His salary next year will be $6.5m.

enrothorne is offline  
Old
02-28-2013, 06:03 PM
  #960
Layne Staley
The Future
 
Layne Staley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,442
vCash: 500
I'm not upset we didn't send an offer sheet, as it stands we are with the #2 spot. I think you can only go down one spot at the max, so if things go the way they have been then that means we are guaranteed Mackinnon, Jones or Drouin. I don't give up any of those 3 for RoR.

Darcy should have been more aggressive with the trade route though. A package of Sekera, Armia, Pysyk would have been more then enough.

Layne Staley is offline  
Old
02-28-2013, 06:05 PM
  #961
Sabreality
Registered User
 
Sabreality's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,829
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
I'm not upset we didn't send an offer sheet, as it stands we are with the #2 spot. I think you can only go down one spot at the max, so if things go the way they have been then that means we are guaranteed Mackinnon, Jones or Drouin. I don't give up any of those 3 for RoR.

Darcy should have been more aggressive with the trade route though. A package of Sekera, Armia, Pysyk would have been more then enough.
well we dont know that he wasnt yet, hopefully someone asks him if he at least made a call.

Sabreality is offline  
Old
02-28-2013, 06:15 PM
  #962
CowbellConray
Registered User
 
CowbellConray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,018
vCash: 500
Brilliant move by Feaster. Really forces Colorado to make a tough move. Do they take the picks? They could be left with a pick outside the top 10, and miss out on those top 6 of this draft that are really special.

But if they match, they have to qualify him for 6.5 million if they want to keep him an RFA in two years, and cant trade him for the next year. He will have minimal trade value, PLUS that same year they have Stastny, Landy, and Duchene if Im not mistaken.

If I am colorado I take the picks. They are almost positively going to lose O'Rielly in two years to UFA.

I usually give feaster flake but this move is brilliant.

CowbellConray is offline  
Old
02-28-2013, 06:46 PM
  #963
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 17,117
vCash: 50
I imagine Colorado wanted our 1st rounder. I imagine that, given where we were and are in the standings, that Regier did not want to give up the 1st rounder. From a negotiating standpoint, we had little leverage because we didn't have the offer sheet hammer--we'd just be giving up the 1st that we didn't want to give up in the first place.

As bad as I wanted ROR, I met the reality we weren't going to offer-sheet him as we sunk to the bottom of the league--and I was equally certain the Avs would want that 1st rounder in any package from Buffalo. As good as ROR is for this lineup, I think we'd essentially be giving up a top-5 pick at this point, because I don't think a guy who has had played in a month can do enough to change our standing in 1/4 of a season.

And I'm happy he'll be staying out west.

Zip15 is offline  
Old
02-28-2013, 06:53 PM
  #964
JPurp26
Registered User
 
JPurp26's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 5,224
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I imagine Colorado wanted our 1st rounder. I imagine that, given where we were and are in the standings, that Regier did not want to give up the 1st rounder. From a negotiating standpoint, we had little leverage because we didn't have the offer sheet hammer--we'd just be giving up the 1st that we didn't want to give up in the first place.

As bad as I wanted ROR, I met the reality we weren't going to offer-sheet him as we sunk to the bottom of the league--and I was equally certain the Avs would want that 1st rounder in any package from Buffalo. As good as ROR is for this lineup, I think we'd essentially be giving up a top-5 pick at this point, because I don't think a guy who has had played in a month can do enough to change our standing in 1/4 of a season.

And I'm happy he'll be staying out west.
Agreed, it would be nice to know we tried to acquire him but giving up our first plus more picks THIS year would be rough

JPurp26 is offline  
Old
02-28-2013, 07:28 PM
  #965
kenfury
Registered User
 
kenfury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 982
vCash: 500
Strange question but can the avs deal his rights to another team between now and seven days from today? Also can he be traded at the end of the season or is it one calender year from signing? CBA geeks help me...

kenfury is offline  
Old
02-28-2013, 07:38 PM
  #966
SECRET SQUIRREL
Registered User
 
SECRET SQUIRREL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Clarence
Country: Ireland
Posts: 1,179
vCash: 500
He cant be traded now for a full year (365 days)

SECRET SQUIRREL is offline  
Old
02-28-2013, 07:56 PM
  #967
kenfury
Registered User
 
kenfury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 982
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SECRET SQUIRREL View Post
He cant be traded now for a full year (365 days)
If my math is correct as of today that is past the trade deadline next year. I have to give Jay Feaser props, brilliantly executed.

kenfury is offline  
Old
02-28-2013, 08:11 PM
  #968
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation
 
Timbo Slice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Rochester
Country: United States
Posts: 15,574
vCash: 500
****, Darcy should have done this.

Timbo Slice is offline  
Old
02-28-2013, 08:17 PM
  #969
kenfury
Registered User
 
kenfury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 982
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo Slice View Post
****, Darcy should have done this.
Apparently most GM's think the avs will match. However, it closes a player off for the next two seasons.

kenfury is offline  
Old
02-28-2013, 08:28 PM
  #970
Daz28
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo Slice View Post
****, Darcy should have done this.
Dude, I was calling for an offer sheet with a 2nd rounder comp. I figured Regier did that, gentlemen agreement, and they said they'd match. If the Avs match, they got screwed. Feaster is Lowe jr. The only thing I can guess is that they didn't agree they'd match, and he goes to Calgary. If that truly does happen, then watch out. Reduced cap will make this some crazy stuff.

Daz28 is offline  
Old
02-28-2013, 08:29 PM
  #971
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,591
vCash: 500
Awards:
Avs have matched.

__________________
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
Chainshot is offline  
Old
02-28-2013, 08:31 PM
  #972
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor
 
McTankel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Hamburg, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,021
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Avs have matched.
WooHoo the ROR talk can end finally!

McTankel is offline  
Old
02-28-2013, 08:35 PM
  #973
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 17,117
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Avs have matched.
Seems to lend credence to the theory that Colorado's dream scenario was for him to get offer-sheeted. They could match and maintain the future negotiation position w/Landeskog and Duchene that they were forced into this contract.

Zip15 is offline  
Old
02-28-2013, 08:51 PM
  #974
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd
 
struckbyaparkedcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Upstate NY
Country: Cote DIvoire
Posts: 10,560
vCash: 500
Feaster did the Avs front office a huge favor.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline  
Old
02-28-2013, 09:59 PM
  #975
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Beerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 10,735
vCash: 500
Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun

On Avs matching O'Reilly offer, one industry source believes it's a given they'll trade him a year from now.

Beerz is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:52 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.