HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL. Game On!!!! (RoR Offersheeted by Calgary, Avs Match)

Closed Thread

Old
02-28-2013, 04:54 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGB24 View Post
The direction this team is headed, I'd rather not give up a potential Jones/Drouin/Mackinnon for ROR. All this talk about how we need an elite talent as part of our rebuild and how teams haven't won cups since 01 or whatever. Sure, ROR steps in and becomes a difference maker right now, but in 5 years I'm willing to bet a top 5 pick will become a greater difference maker, no guarantees or anything, but if we're really going through with this rebuild may as well maximize value
There's more than half the season left, and in addition there is a draft lottery as well. Banking on getting a top three pick at this point is not a good idea. This team can win six games in a row and be in 8th place in a month. It happens all the time.

Old
02-28-2013, 05:00 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifagod View Post
The genius of this deal is that if Colorado matches, RoR will be an RFA after the deal and they'll be forced to give him a 6.5 million qualifying offer, while Landeskog and Duchene are also RFAs and Stastny is a UFA.
Yep. Pretty clever working by Feaster.

They also ensured that even though the base salary this year is low, they HAVE to pay $3M in total for this year.

Not a chance Colorado matches.

Old
02-28-2013, 05:04 PM
drinking bleach irl
POST MORE RECKLESS

vCash: 300
If Colorado matches, bid low on stastny

Old
02-28-2013, 05:16 PM
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post

Classic HFboards logic, guys who aren't even drafted yet are guaranteed to be really good. RoR is already a very good #2 center in this league and you don't have to wait for any growing pains to be over: he's ready to produce right now.
While I'm not arguing one side or the other, a draft pick is on an ELC and that does matter in today's cap world. O'Reilly will be getting $6.5M. That's a HUGE difference.

Old
02-28-2013, 05:18 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrothorne View Post
While I'm not arguing one side or the other, a draft pick is on an ELC and that does matter in today's cap world. O'Reilly will be getting $6.5M. That's a HUGE difference.
His cap hit will be $5 million for two years.

That is correct, and would definitely matter when making that is decision.

Old
02-28-2013, 05:21 PM
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!

Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
could we get all the RoR offer sheet in one thread ?

Old
02-28-2013, 05:25 PM
LGB24

Quote:
There's more than half the season left, and in addition there is a draft lottery as well. Banking on getting a top three pick at this point is not a good idea. This team can win six games in a row and be in 8th place in a month. It happens all the time.
I understand that, thats why I said the direction we are headed. Sure we still COULD make the playoffs, but I don't anticipate us to get that much better. We have to many weaknesses to make a consistent push that I think the chances of us drafting in the top 5 at this point are greater than the chances we don't. Im not saying my view is the right one, but personally I would just rather not give up the picks for him given the information of the first 20 games.

Old
02-28-2013, 05:30 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGB24 View Post
I understand that, thats why I said the direction we are headed. Sure we still COULD make the playoffs, but I don't anticipate us to get that much better. We have to many weaknesses to make a consistent push that I think the chances of us drafting in the top 5 at this point are greater than the chances we don't. Im not saying my view is the right one, but personally I would just rather not give up the picks for him given the information of the first 20 games.
Fair enough, I would. I think part of the reason why would be that I would have absolutely no reason to want them to lose games anymore. As a fan, it's an uncomfortable place to be.

Old
02-28-2013, 05:41 PM
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
Quote:
His cap hit will be $5 million for two years.

That is correct, and would definitely matter when making that is decision.
Yes but some teams concern themselves with actual money over cap hit. I'm assuming Colorado is one of them. His salary next year will be $6.5m.

Old
02-28-2013, 06:03 PM
Layne Staley
The Future

I'm not upset we didn't send an offer sheet, as it stands we are with the #2 spot. I think you can only go down one spot at the max, so if things go the way they have been then that means we are guaranteed Mackinnon, Jones or Drouin. I don't give up any of those 3 for RoR.

Darcy should have been more aggressive with the trade route though. A package of Sekera, Armia, Pysyk would have been more then enough.

Old
02-28-2013, 06:05 PM
Sabreality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
I'm not upset we didn't send an offer sheet, as it stands we are with the #2 spot. I think you can only go down one spot at the max, so if things go the way they have been then that means we are guaranteed Mackinnon, Jones or Drouin. I don't give up any of those 3 for RoR.

Darcy should have been more aggressive with the trade route though. A package of Sekera, Armia, Pysyk would have been more then enough.
well we dont know that he wasnt yet, hopefully someone asks him if he at least made a call.

Old
02-28-2013, 06:15 PM
CowbellConray

Brilliant move by Feaster. Really forces Colorado to make a tough move. Do they take the picks? They could be left with a pick outside the top 10, and miss out on those top 6 of this draft that are really special.

But if they match, they have to qualify him for 6.5 million if they want to keep him an RFA in two years, and cant trade him for the next year. He will have minimal trade value, PLUS that same year they have Stastny, Landy, and Duchene if Im not mistaken.

If I am colorado I take the picks. They are almost positively going to lose O'Rielly in two years to UFA.

I usually give feaster flake but this move is brilliant.

Old
02-28-2013, 06:46 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
I imagine Colorado wanted our 1st rounder. I imagine that, given where we were and are in the standings, that Regier did not want to give up the 1st rounder. From a negotiating standpoint, we had little leverage because we didn't have the offer sheet hammer--we'd just be giving up the 1st that we didn't want to give up in the first place.

As bad as I wanted ROR, I met the reality we weren't going to offer-sheet him as we sunk to the bottom of the league--and I was equally certain the Avs would want that 1st rounder in any package from Buffalo. As good as ROR is for this lineup, I think we'd essentially be giving up a top-5 pick at this point, because I don't think a guy who has had played in a month can do enough to change our standing in 1/4 of a season.

And I'm happy he'll be staying out west.

Old
02-28-2013, 06:53 PM
JPurp26

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I imagine Colorado wanted our 1st rounder. I imagine that, given where we were and are in the standings, that Regier did not want to give up the 1st rounder. From a negotiating standpoint, we had little leverage because we didn't have the offer sheet hammer--we'd just be giving up the 1st that we didn't want to give up in the first place.

As bad as I wanted ROR, I met the reality we weren't going to offer-sheet him as we sunk to the bottom of the league--and I was equally certain the Avs would want that 1st rounder in any package from Buffalo. As good as ROR is for this lineup, I think we'd essentially be giving up a top-5 pick at this point, because I don't think a guy who has had played in a month can do enough to change our standing in 1/4 of a season.

And I'm happy he'll be staying out west.
Agreed, it would be nice to know we tried to acquire him but giving up our first plus more picks THIS year would be rough

Old
02-28-2013, 07:28 PM
kenfury

Strange question but can the avs deal his rights to another team between now and seven days from today? Also can he be traded at the end of the season or is it one calender year from signing? CBA geeks help me...

Old
02-28-2013, 07:38 PM
SECRET SQUIRREL

He cant be traded now for a full year (365 days)

Old
02-28-2013, 07:56 PM
kenfury

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECRET SQUIRREL View Post
He cant be traded now for a full year (365 days)
If my math is correct as of today that is past the trade deadline next year. I have to give Jay Feaser props, brilliantly executed.

Old
02-28-2013, 08:11 PM
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

****, Darcy should have done this.

Old
02-28-2013, 08:17 PM
kenfury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo Slice View Post
Apparently most GM's think the avs will match. However, it closes a player off for the next two seasons.

Old
02-28-2013, 08:28 PM
Daz28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo Slice View Post
Dude, I was calling for an offer sheet with a 2nd rounder comp. I figured Regier did that, gentlemen agreement, and they said they'd match. If the Avs match, they got screwed. Feaster is Lowe jr. The only thing I can guess is that they didn't agree they'd match, and he goes to Calgary. If that truly does happen, then watch out. Reduced cap will make this some crazy stuff.

Old
02-28-2013, 08:29 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Avs have matched.

02-28-2013, 08:31 PM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Avs have matched.
WooHoo the ROR talk can end finally!

Old
02-28-2013, 08:35 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Avs have matched.
Seems to lend credence to the theory that Colorado's dream scenario was for him to get offer-sheeted. They could match and maintain the future negotiation position w/Landeskog and Duchene that they were forced into this contract.

Old
02-28-2013, 08:51 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Feaster did the Avs front office a huge favor.

Old
02-28-2013, 09:59 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun

On Avs matching O'Reilly offer, one industry source believes it's a given they'll trade him a year from now.

Closed Thread