Wrestling Amateur, Pro, Mud, Jello, Real, Fake, and in between

Monday Night Raw Discussion Thread #38

Old
01-29-2013, 07:17 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

vCash: 500
Worst Raw in ages gets the best rating in ages... Go figure.

01-29-2013, 07:24 PM
chuckdobbins

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniSens View Post
Pass... Lesnar hasn't earned the right to end two amazing careers.
Completely agree on this. If anything, I think Lesnar would be fine with a loss to Taker. He lost to Cena and it didn't hurt his character at all, so not being able to end the streak won't hurt either.

chuckdobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 07:39 PM
17futurecap

Since Rock/Punk is set for EC, does anyone think they set up The Shield vs Ryback, Sheamus, and Cena last night for an actual Elimination Chamber match?

I would imagine WWE still wants to do two of these matches at the PPV?

17futurecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 07:44 PM
chuckdobbins

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17futurecap View Post
Since Rock/Punk is set for EC, does anyone think they set up The Shield vs Ryback, Sheamus, and Cena last night for an actual Elimination Chamber match?

I would imagine WWE still wants to do two of these matches at the PPV?
Yes, definitely. I think they'll put the WHC into a chamber match, then do the chamber match that you mentioned, and if they plan on having Taker v Punk at Mania then book the WWE title match in a chamber just to keep interference out...lights go out, Taker shows up in a pod and beats down Punk to start the feud.

Old
01-29-2013, 08:24 PM
Dean Ambrose
My friend Mark

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckdobbins View Post
Completely agree on this. If anything, I think Lesnar would be fine with a loss to Taker. He lost to Cena and it didn't hurt his character at all, so not being able to end the streak won't hurt either.
No one said anything about him beating Undertaker.

And it took him making HHH tap out for people to look at him as a monster again. WE all knew this and at least HHH knew this cause he put Lesnar over at SummerSlam when Vince wanted HHH to go over. Lesnar should have always beaten Cena.

As for the streak itself - I don't want it to ever end. I think now he should just retire with it. He's beaten Kane twice, Orton, Batista, Edge, HBKx2 and HHHx3...if you're going to give a young guy a rub and put him over Taker at WM you need to build him up for the part and I doubt WWE has the creative touch to do that nowadays. If you don't, the fans won't buy it. Just my opinion. Now if WWE can find a 25 year old Austin or Rock, my tune would change, but nothing like that is on the horizon for the wrestling industry...yet.

01-29-2013, 08:27 PM
Seth Rollins
Mr Money In The Bank

Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post
How do you figure? The main segments were strong. Yeah there was throwaway **** like Tensai/Brodus, and Khali/Primetime Players, but the segment with the Shield decimating Cena, Sheamus, and Ryback along with the end segment with Vince, Heyman, and Lesnar were great.

Seth Rollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 08:32 PM
MarleauApologist
fun must be alwalys

Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post
Guarantee it won't keep up.

MarleauApologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 09:05 PM
Dean Ambrose
My friend Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks for Cup View Post
Guarantee it won't keep up.
It will. Rock as champion was only advertised. They got a surprise ending with Lesnar appearing and The Undertaker and Triple H are due back.

Dean Ambrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 09:11 PM
17futurecap

It will go back to normal the second Monday after Mania when Rock is gone and Johnnnnnn Cenaaaa is da champ!

17futurecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 09:15 PM
MarleauApologist
fun must be alwalys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince McMahon View Post
It will. Rock as champion was only advertised. They got a surprise ending with Lesnar appearing and The Undertaker and Triple H are due back.
Not after WM if the product is this bad. They went up for Rumble aftermath and Rock as champ, sure, and they will stay up for RTWM, but it's certainly not good long term. HHH, Taker, Lesnar, Rock are not long-term (maybe Bork), and nobody wants to watch a ****** product. Not to mention they will all be overshadowed by the ultimate underdog's road to redemption from last Wrestlemania and defeating The Rock, being boo'ed heavily on the grandest stage of all as a good guy.

MarleauApologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 09:17 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckdobbins View Post
Yes, definitely. I think they'll put the WHC into a chamber match, then do the chamber match that you mentioned, and if they plan on having Taker v Punk at Mania then book the WWE title match in a chamber just to keep interference out...lights go out, Taker shows up in a pod and beats down Punk to start the feud.
Can't see Undertaker just coming out of no where to start a feud with Punk. If anything, it would be Punk going after 'Taker

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 09:19 PM
Dean Ambrose
My friend Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks for Cup View Post
Not after WM if the product is this bad. They went up for Rumble aftermath and Rock as champ, sure, and they will stay up for RTWM, but it's certainly not good long term. HHH, Taker, Lesnar, Rock are not long-term (maybe Bork), and nobody wants to watch a ****** product. Not to mention they will all be overshadowed by the ultimate underdog's road to redemption from last Wrestlemania and defeating The Rock, being boo'ed heavily on the grandest stage of all as a good guy.
Nobody expects it to be like this after WM. Anyone that does is an idiot. We're not talking about after though, we're talking about the RTWM and it will most likely stay around 3.7 for the majority of the next two months with all these stars coming in.

Old
01-29-2013, 10:21 PM
Dean Ambrose
My friend Mark

Rock is advertised for a very small number of dates from February - WM which makes me wonder if he'll hold onto the championship after Elimination Chamber. If he does, surely the WWE Championship match has to be a triple threat match with Punk involved so Punk/Cena can carry the bulk of the build.

Old
01-29-2013, 10:59 PM
Dean Ambrose
My friend Mark

The WWE Champion is not advertised for Raw next week. Wow.

DAT BORK is though. Triple H will probably make an appearance too. WWE should probably advertise that, but I'm guessing they put their faith in Lesnar to draw in a large audience regardless, so they can keep HHH's appearance a surprise.

Hey, what if WWE pairs Tensai/Clay up as a tag team now and names them "Hip Hop Hippos"?

Old
01-29-2013, 11:07 PM
iamjs
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDude View Post
JBL also said Taker offered the streak to him.

It should be ended, just because it would launch someone into superstar status, which the WWE needs. They can't milk the Cena cash cow forever. It needs to be someone young, Ziggler is a bit too old I think. Maybe whichever one of the Shield goes over the most in the next year or 2. They just need to make sure they give it to the next Cena and not the next Jack Swagger.
That's the problem. WWE has been riding the Cena train forever and hasn't prepared for the day that he works a reduced schedule. Cena is 35 (turns 36 in June), and most of your current main eventers are in the same age group.

CM Punk - 34
Ziggler - 32
Del Rio - 35
Orton - 32
Lesnar - 35
Barrett - 32
Cesaro - 32
Ryback - 31
Miz - 32
D Bryan - 31 (32 in May)

But who do you go with at this point? Ambrose is 27, Rollins 26, but neither has the experience aside from Shield run-ins. Do you rush or force them into the main event scene? Cody Rhodes (also 27) was mentioned, but is he a main event guy at this point or even within a year? Other than that, you're looking at midcarders, non-heavyweights, and jobbers who haven't won a match in a year. Not exactly people you would want going one on one with the Taker at WM, especially with Taker's streak on the line.

iamjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 11:11 PM
Dean Ambrose
My friend Mark

That right there is the reason WWE needs to bring in all these part timers to move ratings and bring viewership in. They've spent so much time building up Cena that they've neglected the rest of the roster. 2013 is the year they REALLY have to focus on building up guys like Ziggler, Rhodes, Sandow, Barrett, Ambrose, Rollins, Reigns, Wyatt (when he's called up), Riley, etc.

Old
01-29-2013, 11:17 PM
Dean Ambrose
My friend Mark

Oh, and Tensai officially turned face. My god... I was right about the Hip Hop Hippos.

(for Main Event):

Quote:
* * Tensai vs. Titus O'Neil (with Darren Young) is up next. At one point, PTP were going to double team Tensai, but Brodus came out and said no. Brodus stayed at ringside and was supporting Tensai. There were lot's of "Let's Go Tensai" chants. Titus bodyslammed Tensai at one point. Later, Tensai got Titus in the corner and mocked his doc call. Tensai picked up the win via pinfall. After the match, Brodus Clay got Tensai to dance. Looks like we just saw a face turn.

Old
01-29-2013, 11:28 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

Quote:
Hey, what if WWE pairs Tensai/Clay up as a tag team now and names them "Hip Hop Hippos"?

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 11:32 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

If they're gonna put Cena over Rock at WM. He HAS to turn heel.

Wishful thinking, I know, but otherwise it's just, yawn.

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:02 AM
Dean Ambrose
My friend Mark

they're painting this in Toronto. I wish this would lead to a WM30 announcement in Toronto, but it's probably just hyping Raw on March 1st.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:40 AM
Dean Ambrose
My friend Mark

So far, Brock Lesnar is advertised for four Raw dates.

2/4
2/25
3/11
4/1

The only date Rock AND Lesnar are advertised for is the go-home show for Wrestlemania. Obviously, more dates will be added as we advance.

Also, wwe has changed the story and now report Vince suffered a broken left hip.

Old
01-30-2013, 05:43 AM
elias026

Quote:
Rock is advertised for a very small number of dates from February - WM which makes me wonder if he'll hold onto the championship after Elimination Chamber. If he does, surely the WWE Championship match has to be a triple threat match with Punk involved so Punk/Cena can carry the bulk of the build.
not surprised, Rock has a reality show starting to film in Feb

Quote:
The WWE Champion is not advertised for Raw next week. Wow.

DAT BORK is though. Triple H will probably make an appearance too. WWE should probably advertise that, but I'm guessing they put their faith in Lesnar to draw in a large audience regardless, so they can keep HHH's appearance a surprise.

That why Punk probably said all those dates in his promo including next weeks Raw

elias026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 06:24 AM
Swedish Puck Mafia
Break The HeMan Down

vCash: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by KesselBuiltMyHotrod View Post
Brock kills Cena, takes his Wrestlemania spot.

Everyone wins.
That makes sense from a "Let's do something original" standpoint.

But from the WWE's "If they bought it last year, they'll buy it this year" standpoint, I highly doubt Rock/Lesnar will be main eventing WM.

Last edited by Swedish Puck Mafia: 01-30-2013 at 10:45 AM.
Swedish Puck Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 07:15 AM
chuckdobbins

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjs View Post
That's the problem. WWE has been riding the Cena train forever and hasn't prepared for the day that he works a reduced schedule. Cena is 35 (turns 36 in June), and most of your current main eventers are in the same age group.

CM Punk - 34
Ziggler - 32
Del Rio - 35
Orton - 32
Lesnar - 35
Barrett - 32
Cesaro - 32
Ryback - 31
Miz - 32
D Bryan - 31 (32 in May)

But who do you go with at this point? Ambrose is 27, Rollins 26, but neither has the experience aside from Shield run-ins. Do you rush or force them into the main event scene? Cody Rhodes (also 27) was mentioned, but is he a main event guy at this point or even within a year? Other than that, you're looking at midcarders, non-heavyweights, and jobbers who haven't won a match in a year. Not exactly people you would want going one on one with the Taker at WM, especially with Taker's streak on the line.
Yeah I think we actually discussed this around last summer? Everyone was brainstorming ways to introduce the new breed of main eventers, and it was universally agreed upon that it's going to be difficult because of how lopsided the competition has been. It's similar to the 99/1 percent talk with the US economy You got 99% of the roster making up the bottom tier, and only 1% of the roster in the upper class (main event). I still think if they want to push through the young guys they need to do it very slowly, over the course of several months or more. A few guys need to cut promos saying the elders are getting too much attention that the young stars deserve, then they roll with that feud basically. The main eventers win over and over and over, but the margin of victory gets smaller and smaller, until finally someone breaks through and gets a good clean win at a marquee ppv.

They have plenty of quality wrestlers/speakers in the mid card to do it.

Old
01-30-2013, 08:56 AM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

i'd like to see a punk/lesner match based on heyman being the one to screw Punk out of the title...we already know its Rock/Cena House Party 2...

Fro is offline   Reply With Quote