HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Devils beat Isles 2-1 (No Points for you, Isles....or Rangers!)

Old
01-19-2013, 11:29 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamil27 View Post
brodeur looks like hes not slowing down haha. zajac will do good this year i see it
I'm hoping for a breakout year from Zajac. He should have a good partnership with Kovy, and he'll have the puck more now that the other winger is Zubrus and not Parise. He'll be shooting more.

Once Henrique gets back it will be interesting to see how the lines change. Does DeBoer leave Zubrus there, or put Henrique on the wing on the top line?

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:29 PM
apice3*

Every defenseman tonight had a WTF moment. What I enjoyed watching was backchecking forwards (most notable was Gionta), defenseman rotating and providing help, and the D-men that messed up sticking with the play. Only miscue was on the PK when four guys got caught napping. Hamonic could have waited another couple seconds and still got off a clean shot.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:31 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
I'm hoping for a breakout year from Zajac. He should have a good partnership with Kovy, and he'll have the puck more now that the other winger is Zubrus and not Parise. He'll be shooting more.

Once Henrique gets back it will be interesting to see how the lines change. Does DeBoer leave Zubrus there, or put Henrique on the wing on the top line?
Personally I like Zubrus there. That line has great size and puck protection.

I'd like to see Clarkson play on the 3rd line with Tedenby and Josefson, and Henrique with Elias and ideally a 2nd liner that we trade a D-man for.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:32 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

I enjoyed the cycling shifts too, and the continuing commitment to the forecheck offence. Even without Parise and Henrique tonight we had a murderous forecheck going.

Old
01-19-2013, 11:32 PM
DerekDevils30

All in all, a good first game for the Devils.

Defense is not a concern to me. Depth up the wazoo. Greene and Fayne should not be separated. They work so well together. Tallinder and Volchenkov each got burned once by Boyes, I believe. Otherwise, they were solid. Good games from Salvador and Zidlicky.

Offense is going to be interesting to follow. The first line looked good. Can't say much more than "wow" regarding Kovy's feed to Zajac. Beautiful dish.

Great games from Elias and Clarkson. Tedenby had a very good game and definitely deserves more time on the second line. So close to a highlight reel goal in the first. For such a small guy, the Isles couldn't knock him off the puck.

Matteau was impressive. A couple of big hits and good scoring chances. Might be a tough call come game 5 of the season. Based on that game, he looks to have second line power forward potential.

Josefson was all around solid again. Should slot in nicely as the 3rd line center once everyone gets healthy. CBGB picked up where they left off. Lots of chemistry from these three and Deboer, for good reason, has no problem sending these guys over the boards.

Marty was rock solid tonight. Some big saves and was in control of everything. No chance at all on the Hamonic rocket. Looked half his age tonight.

DerekDevils30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:33 PM
kiwidevil

What is up with Tavares cherry picking the whole game?

Also, why do we have a post game thread when the GDT is still open?

kiwidevil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:34 PM
VegasP11

Volchenkov always looks slow. He just needs to freight train somebody or block a shot with his mouth and he will be fine again. Tallinder always looks like he is about to fall down Every time he has the puck. I hope he gets traded soon.

VegasP11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:35 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Ya, I was impressed with how focused Marty was tonight too. Even when he was in scramble mode he seemed to have things under control. Can't blame him on the only goal, you give any NHL player a whole five seconds to shoot from the slot untouched, and he's going to score more often than not.

Old
01-19-2013, 11:35 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasP11 View Post
Volchenkov always looks slow. He just needs to freight train somebody or block a shot with his mouth and he will be fine again. Tallinder always looks like he is about to fall down Every time he has the puck. I hope he gets traded soon.
I hope Tallinder is also traded but he played amazing today

Devils Trap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:36 PM
DerekDevils30

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasP11 View Post
Lots of options for Lou to consider regarding the defense. Looks like he's willing to give it some time before possibly making a trade. Would really like to see Larsson in there soon, though.

DerekDevils30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:36 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidevil View Post
What is up with Tavares cherry picking the whole game?
I guess that's what passes for a transition offence on the Island. I know I'd be annoyed if I saw a Devils forward doing it that much.

Old
01-19-2013, 11:37 PM
Mustangs

Send a message via MSN to Mustangs
It was such a relief to finally watch a NJ game. I thought they played a pretty good road game. I love the way the 4th line plays, the hustle, the effort. They might not be the best finisher, but they goals that they will get will benefit the team.

I was also impressed with the way Teddy played, I liked the way he moved, he made some solid moves, mde some good passes. He has to do that to stay in the line up.

Finally I thought that Matteau looked like he belonged, I am not sure if Lou is going to leave an 18 year old on they team for the season. He skated pretty good, good on the fore-check, impressed i am .

Mustangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:38 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangs View Post
It was such a relief to finally watch a NJ game. I thought they played a pretty good road game. I love the way the 4th line plays, the hustle, the effort. They might not be the best finisher, but they goals that they will get will benefit the team.

I was also impressed with the way Teddy played, I liked the way he moved, he made some solid moves, mde some good passes. He has to do that to stay in the line up.

Finally I thought that Matteau looked like he belonged, I am not sure if Lou is going to leave an 18 year old on they team for the season. He skated pretty good, good on the fore-check, impressed i am .
Matteau is going to get 5 games. After those 5 Butler will get his chance

Devils Trap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:40 PM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

Matteau only played 7 minutes and he stood out. Great sign.

Oroku Saki* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:45 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Kovy is right back to the heavy usage again. 24:37 tonight.

Old
01-19-2013, 11:45 PM
tycobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Trap View Post
Matteau is going to get 5 games. After those 5 Butler will get his chance
My guess Darche gets signed after the 5 games.

tycobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:49 PM
Devils Dominion
Conte's Critic

I noticed Boulton out there one shift, did he play more than that?

Devils Dominion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:55 PM
BrodeursCups

Send a message via AIM to BrodeursCups
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volchenkov28 View Post
Matteau only played 7 minutes and he stood out. Great sign.
He had some great chances, threw his weight around and was working the cycle well. But, ultimately, he won't stay because he's too slow.

BrodeursCups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:56 PM
Basement Cat
RIP Loko

Good to see that our boys pulled out a win. Top 2 lines scored and Marty looked good from what I read which is exactly what we need. Can't wait for Tuesday when I can actually watch a game and Friday when I'm at the Rock!

One note about the Rags... They brag about having a stacked defense (4 1st pairing guys, I hear) and then they turn around and say that Hank has to stand on his head every game for them. Which one is it? It can't be both.

Basement Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:57 PM
TheUnseenHand
Hashbrown Selfie

Tedenby is effective enough offensively to be a good player. If only he could learn the defensive side of the puck. He still hasn't seemed to learn how to play back there. He still looks lost.

What most impressed me about the game tonight was how well the Devils as a team executed their system in all three zones. Some guys had lapses in concentration but the game as a whole wasn't nearly as sloppy as I thought it would be.

TheUnseenHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:57 PM
devilsblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Every defenseman tonight had a WTF moment. What I enjoyed watching was backchecking forwards (most notable was Gionta), defenseman rotating and providing help, and the D-men that messed up sticking with the play. Only miscue was on the PK when four guys got caught napping. Hamonic could have waited another couple seconds and still got off a clean shot.
And again finds a way to lay a big check.

devilsblood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 12:00 AM
VegasP11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekDevils30 View Post
Lots of options for Lou to consider regarding the defense. Looks like he's willing to give it some time before possibly making a trade. Would really like to see Larsson in there soon, though.
I really want to see Larsson get a regular spot too. I think it would help his confidence as well.

VegasP11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 12:00 AM
devilsblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnseenHand View Post
Tedenby is effective enough offensively to be a good player. If only he could learn the defensive side of the puck. He still hasn't seemed to learn how to play back there. He still looks lost.

What most impressed me about the game tonight was how well the Devils as a team executed their system in all three zones. Some guys had lapses in concentration but the game as a whole wasn't nearly as sloppy as I thought it would be.
Actually had a bunch of pretty plays. Not finishing early, but creating some good chances.

And Clarkson still finding scoring chances. Good sign there.

Old
01-20-2013, 12:01 AM
BrodeursCups

Send a message via AIM to BrodeursCups
Anyways, just got back from the game a bit ago.

Brodeur was phenomenal, Zajac was all over the place. Did a great job of going head to head with JT. His finish on that Kovy dish was awesome.

I actually think Tedenby had a damn good game. Just missed his breakaway, was cycling well in the offensive zone, protected the puck and backchecked all night. He's a huge wild card in this lineup. Would be a bonus if he could put up pts consistently..

BrodeursCups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 12:04 AM
devilsblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodeursCups View Post
He had some great chances, threw his weight around and was working the cycle well. But, ultimately, he won't stay because he's too slow.
Didn't see this.