HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs @ Habs | Leafs win 2-1!

Old
01-19-2013, 10:20 PM
The Winter Soldier

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evaBlue View Post
So you liked Grabo's game tonight, then, I take it?
To some on this board, Grabo will never be at fault, he has more excuses than Lance Armstrong has ex yellow jackets. I have grown to accept this fact around here.

The Winter Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:22 PM
lampshade*

Great win, team played good but tired in third, which is understandable. Mtl will he a legitimate force for the first pick, mind you Edm hasn't played yet.

lampshade* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:24 PM
GoLeafsGo96

I didn't think the KGM line was that bad. Didn't create enough offensively, but (Kulemin and Mac specifically) played solid defensively. The third period was a bit of a mess for the entire team, and no doubt KGM have to be better, however... I just didn't see it as awful as many of you.

GoLeafsGo96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:25 PM
garce

Komisarek

The best game Komi has played as a Leaf. Gunnersom was the best player on the ice

garce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:26 PM
dimi78

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
The played a very good game defensively.....Carlyle is not in the habit of rewarding poor performances in any game....that line earned their ice time. As far as the goal goes.....Dion was at fault and not because of his stick.....he was sucking exhaust chasing the player behind the net while killing and was late getting net front.....his fault.
caused by Kulemin not getting the puck out when he had the chance to clear it and change tired legs on the PK... Kulemin's fault.

The team was playing an almost perfect road game up to the 7min mark where the MGK line had issues getting the puck out more than the other 3 lines did... They keep a trend like that going they wont be out there on the ice like they did tonight... Thus why he had Kadri, Komarov and JVR out with less than a min. in the game after a Bozak, Kessel, Lupul shift.

dimi78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:27 PM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constant Gardiner View Post
Can't wait to see him use this brilliant tactic against a good team. Montreal is totally inept.
This.

It was a 60 minute pond hockey match between two bad teams. I'm not understanding the lovefest... wouldn't be surprised in the least if Buffalo completely rails us Monday. Only notables for me were Kadri, Komarov, and Franson.

ForzaZuffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:28 PM
Phion Keneuf
Bang Bang

Also, I thought Bozie had a tremendous game.

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:31 PM
ToneBone03
Trust the Shanaplan

Thought our third line of JVR, Kadri and Komarov was our best line all night. Also, surprised to see Komisarek have a really good game.

ToneBone03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:32 PM
LeafSadist

vCash: 203
lol Canucks

LeafSadist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:33 PM
Woll Smoth

vCash: 50
Had to work tonight, so only caught the last 10 minutes of the game.

Wondering how the team played before I got to watch (they looked pretty bad from what I saw) More specifically the play of:

JVR
Lupul
Kessel
Kadri
Komarov
Kostka
and
Komi

That's a lot of Ks

Woll Smoth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:33 PM
Rare Jewel
Patience

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaZuffa View Post
This.

It was a 60 minute pond hockey match between two bad teams. I'm not understanding the lovefest... wouldn't be surprised in the least if Buffalo completely rails us Monday. Only notables for me were Kadri, Komarov, and Franson.
Who's to say Buff will that much better?

10 months since the last time they played together

6 days of "training camp"

2 days of practice as the current 23 man group

Was it pretty? Nope, But we should enjoy the win and stop picking at every little thing.

Rare Jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:34 PM
Nasty Nazem
Come at me Crow!

Leafs played well defensively but Habs offense... is just awful.

Loved the games from Kadri and Kessel. I thought both did an excellent job creating offense but I would have liked to see Kadri ice time (he got less than 10 minutes despite how well he was playing). Kostka had a great game but I really hope Caryle doesn't get into the habit of giving him top pairing minutes. Bozak, Dion, Komisarek were pretty good as well.

Scrivens was okay... I thought he was a bit shaky but it didn't seem like he had a whole lot to do.

I was happy to see forwards coming back on defense and actually playing some defense.

Nasty Nazem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:36 PM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare Jewel View Post
Who's to say Buff will that much better?

10 months since the last time they played together

6 days of "training camp"

2 days of practice as the current 23 man group

Was it pretty? Nope, But we should enjoy the win and stop picking at every little thing.
I didn't pick at anything actually, just stated they're both bad teams and wouldn't be surprised (not that they will or won't) if Buff rails us.

Old
01-19-2013, 10:37 PM
Crispy Crust

I think we will the home opener against Buffalo. Buffalo is a good team, but they aren't on the level of those physical teams that cause us so much trouble (Philadelphia and Boston). We aren't playing in Buffalo so that's good.

Crispy Crust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
diceman934
Help is on the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimi78 View Post
caused by Kulemin not getting the puck out when he had the chance to clear it and change tired legs on the PK... Kulemin's fault.

The team was playing an almost perfect road game up to the 7min mark where the MGK line had issues getting the puck out more than the other 3 lines did... They keep a trend like that going they wont be out there on the ice like they did tonight... Thus why he had Kadri, Komarov and JVR out with less than a min. in the game after a Bozak, Kessel, Lupul shift.
Kulemin had a Hab all over him yet it is his fault.....when Dion was sucking exhaust flumes chasing a player behind his net while killing a penalty there by leaving the net front open for the Habs to get the rebound and score. Look at the video and you will see that Dion created a cluster **** in front of his own net even running into I believe it was Gunnar who was trying to help net front.

I watch the game differently then you that is for sure......

diceman934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
firstemperor

I was extremely unimpressed. The habs are a terrible team......while we outplayed them, we really should have dominated them. Albeit, it's only one game in, but it's concerning given how terrible our PK still looks (we still lose so many battles down low and don't get the puck out/quick enough). The habs are a terrible PP team, in contrast, look how much pucks and down-low battles the habs won against us on the PK.

Watch a team who many argue have inherent "talent" issues (which I disagree with) like the coyotes or blues, and one can see why this is more of a personnel issue than anything (i.e we have too many soft players, non-2 way players still).

For the note, I thought Phaneuf looked lazy as usual and generally, terrible out there. I thought Liles was great all night.

firstemperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:38 PM
showtime8

I saw a lot of good things tonight.

And generally, I try to give credit where credit is due and I think that Phaneuf had a pretty solid game all around. Really helped out by the patience of Kostka.

I'm a huge Kulemin fan, but for the 30 seconds where he caused the goal it was a bit of a struggle for me to like him. The rest of the game he was doing the things that made me such a fan of his. (playing the full length of the ice)

Jay McClement is a beast. Always seemed to be in the right spot at the right time. He might be a key to the Leafs success this year and they will get solid production from him and his line. Also makes a huge difference on the PK.

showtime8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:39 PM
Mr Scarface*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
Leafs played well defensively but Habs offense... is just awful.
Also Randy really outcoached Therrien tonight. He (Therrien) might not be a perfect solution to the canadiens. They had troubles yeah and the roster looks shaky. Like a ghost.

I'm so glad Randy got this first one to his belt. It calms people down, especially the players. Now it's easier to win at home too when they hit the ice. Wonder if Randy smokes? He seems real cool and collective behind the bench etc.

Mr Scarface* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:41 PM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
Phaneuf has got to be one of the least agile dmen in the league it's like he skates with dumbells attached to his legs

Brewsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:41 PM
The Reaper
Men of Mayhem

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy Crust View Post
I think we will the home opener against Buffalo. Buffalo is a good team, but they aren't on the level of those physical teams that cause us so much trouble (Philadelphia and Boston). We aren't playing in Buffalo so that's good.
yep, we are better against Buffalo at home

The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:42 PM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstemperor View Post
I was extremely unimpressed. The habs are a terrible team......while we outplayed them, we really should have dominated them. Albeit, it's only one game in, but it's concerning given how terrible our PK still looks (we still lose so many battles down low and don't get the puck out/quick enough). The habs are a terrible PP team, in contrast, look how much pucks and down-low battles the habs won against us on the PK.

Watch a team who many argue have inherent "talent" issues (which I disagree with) like the coyotes or blues, and one can see why this is more of a personnel issue than anything (i.e we have too many soft players, non-2 way players still).

For the note, I thought Phaneuf looked lazy as usual and generally, terrible out there. I thought Liles was great all night
Generally agree with all three points here; wouldn't say Phaneuf was terrible but can't see why people thought he was great. He was lazy as usual, didn't take the man hard and left players sitting on the doorstep (like on the Mtl goal).

Also really liked Liles' game tonight, took the body more than Komi and Phaneuf, imo, despite being 150 lbs lighter

Old
01-19-2013, 10:43 PM
Tank Commander Cor
OT Thread Leader

vCash: 72
Leafs win, and people bash Dion Phaneuf on a goal that wasn't his fault.

That goal was just strength in numbers, he can't cover 2 guys.

Tank Commander Cor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:43 PM
Leafidelity
Its that new Toronto

vCash: 1775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor99 View Post
Leafs win, and people bash Dion Phaneuf on a goal that wasn't his fault.

That goal was just strength in numbers, he can't cover 2 guys.
That was Kulemin's man.

Leafidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:44 PM
Mr Scarface*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewsky View Post
Phaneuf has got to be one of the least agile dmen in the league it's like he skates with dumbells attached to his legs
Terminators and exterminators do that.

Mr Scarface* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:44 PM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaZuffa View Post
I didn't pick at anything actually, just stated they're both bad teams and wouldn't be surprised (not that they will or won't) if Buff rails us.
Watch for splinters on that fence. They can sting. :smile:

egd27 is offline   Reply With Quote