HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs @ Habs | Leafs win 2-1!

Old
01-19-2013, 11:35 PM
fahad203

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stakesishigh View Post
He had a good first period. I don't think that warrants a player of the game nomination.

I think there were a few better players on the ice that had a more complete game.
I think Kadri should have been the player of the game

Even Kessel had two assists and few chances to put the puck in

fahad203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:39 PM
GoLeafsGo96

We're going to see a lot of the chip and chase under Randy. Most certainly when the team has a lead. The D played well tonight. Kept Montreal to the outside really well.

The question will be if the D can play the same type of game to the same degree of effectiveness against top teams. I'm not convinced just yet.

GoLeafsGo96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:41 PM
Lebanese Leaf

I just wanted to add that Kadri had 4 hits tonight, in less than 10 minutes of ice-time. So much for him being soft...

And Komarov had 8 hits in under 13 minutes, that's crazy. I'm absolutely loving the JVR-Kadri-Komarov line and can't wait till they develop some more chemistry.

Lebanese Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:42 PM
Crispy Crust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanese Leaf View Post
I just wanted to add that Kadri had 4 hits tonight, in less than 10 minutes of ice-time. So much for him being soft...

And Komarov had 8 hits in under 13 minutes, that's crazy. I'm absolutely loving the JVR-Kadri-Komarov line and can't wait till they develop some more chemistry.
A young and fun group to watch.

Crispy Crust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:44 PM
GoLeafsGo96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanese Leaf View Post

Kadri hammered Ryan White into the boards. It was great.

GoLeafsGo96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:47 PM
LyricalLyricist

Habs fan here. Leafs were the better team this game. Clearly better prepared. Habs were sloppy and couldn't get into quality scoring chances. The leafs shut them down and that's pretty much it. Hopefully the next game is more competitive for entertainment purposes but for now, leafs outplayed the habs by a wide margin until the 3rd. Can't win a game if you show up 10 min before the end so can't really say habs deserved it.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:50 PM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fahad203 View Post
I think Kadri should have been the player of the game

Even Kessel had two assists and few chances to put the puck in
3 stars for me were Kadri, Kessel and Price.....no particular order.

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:52 PM
The Newfoundlander
#TradeKessel

vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Habs fan here. Leafs were the better team this game. Clearly better prepared. Habs were sloppy and couldn't get into quality scoring chances. The leafs shut them down and that's pretty much it. Hopefully the next game is more competitive for entertainment purposes but for now, leafs outplayed the habs by a wide margin until the 3rd. Can't win a game if you show up 10 min before the end so can't really say habs deserved it.
Love your pic LL, And I agree. I thought both teams were relatively sloppy though.

The Newfoundlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
The Reaper
Men of Mayhem

Probably our best defensive game in like forever

The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Duffman955

My thoughts on the game:

Everyone looked a little rusty and sloppy, especially scrivens.

-The Defense as a whole was phenomenal. Kostka-Phaneuf looked absolutely great.

-Komiserek was a beast, very physcial, simple game and made the right play every time.

-Franson and liles played a very smooth hockey game. Liles is real fast.

-Kadri was lights out. Spark plug for offense on every shift. Played a 200 foot game. Ran over markov, went after prust. What's not to like, he brought everything tonight.

-Komarov looked good defensively, hit everything that moved.

-JVR looked good in battles in front of the net.

-kessel was fantastic and his acceleration looks as fast as ever, bozak was pretty good. Lupul, not in sync with his linemates yet.

-MGK line was a blackhole offensively although they played very well in their own end. Mac was the best of the 3.

-4th line was fine. Mcclement really did his job well on the PK.

-Only real con was that we need more even strength opportunities to score.

Duffman955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:53 PM
Flowzak
I saw, I conquered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Price should've been one of the 3 stars. Shows why he's a top 10 goalie in the league (at least in my books, hell he's one of the top 5 that I would want on this team).

Flowzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
3 stars for me were Kadri, Kessel and Price.....no particular order.
Same.

Habs forward core was really disappointing and their D was not much better.

Feel bad for Price tbh

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Drmckool
Truculence!

Well at least the leafs beat the habs. Though I want the team to get a high pick this season I really never want to see them lose to MTL or Ottawa.

Drmckool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:54 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by weak5holeguy View Post
Love your pic LL, And I agree. I thought both teams were relatively sloppy though.
Kind of like a certain finals. One team was not prepared

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:54 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman955 View Post
My thoughts on the game:

-Komiserek was a beast, very physcial, simple game and made the right play every time.

-Kadri was lights out. Spark plug for offense on every shift. Played a 200 foot game. Ran over markov, went after prust. What's not to like, he brought everything tonight.

-kessel was fantastic and his acceleration looks as fast as ever, bozak was pretty good. Lupul, not in sync with his linemates yet.

-MGK line was a blackhole offensively although they played very well in their own end. Mac was the best of the 3.

I agree completely.

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:56 PM
Drmckool
Truculence!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman955 View Post
My thoughts on the game:

That team with a little refinement is a playoff caliber squad 9 times out of 10.

Drmckool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:59 PM
Duffman955

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drmckool View Post
That team with a little refinement is a playoff caliber squad 9 times out of 10.
I really hope so. If one of our goalies steps up, and the forwards get used to the system, we may see leafs play in april/may.

Duffman955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 12:02 AM
Kb21

i don't understand why that markov hit by kadri was a penalty, kadri hit him on his side and markov just happened to turn the other way leaving him vulnerable.

our 3rd line was entertaining and easily the best, can't wait to see more of them.

Kb21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 12:05 AM
Rinzler

Solid game for the Leafs on the road. I really can't offer much criticism. They kept it simple and played a safe defensive game. If not for Carey Price, this game could have been a blowout. (Noticed he did the splits twice!)

Sad thing is, Scrivens posted a .955 sv% and still looked shaky at times. Montreal has some work to do, I can barely recall even a scoring chance until well into the 3rd period.

For now I'm happy.

Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 12:12 AM
TheMadHatTrick

I thought Komisarek was solid when he was on the ice tonight. Nothing special, but he played a simple game and didn't make any mistakes, he was also physical along the boards.

TheMadHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 12:24 AM
Standardly

Kadri doesn't look like a top 6 forward!!!!! He looks like a first-liner.

I don't know where everyone is getting the "top 6 forward" thing from. He played a little over 9 minutes. Scored a goal, inches away from another where they went upstairs. Drew in 3 hab players after an offensive face-off then dished to right-point man who ended up getting a decent shot off. He drew the first penalty of the game by skating up behind the hab player, and stripped the puck. Hab player had no other choice but to hook Naz.

He was very good. I know people will say "it was one game" etc. But a regular player having a good game, doesn't have that vision to dish the puck to a unexpected player while pulling in a few opposition players. A regular guy doesn't show the patience/head fake like he did on his goal. A regular guy doesn't do what he did in 9 minutes of play. He needs more ice-time. It's his time.

#53. Khatka or whatever his name is, was fantastic. People saying he's slow?!?!?! He's just patient with the puck. Duncan Keith does the same kind of thing. He did not look out of place at all. He was great. It's his smarts and his poise. Nothing about game shape. He knows the game. I'm in awe at that guy's game. Can't recall the last time we had a dman that looked like that. No dman on leaf team (maybe gardiner), last year had a game like he had tonight.

Other good players: Franson, Kessel

Grabo's line looked terrible. JVR didn't do much either.

Standardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 12:30 AM
Kingstonian84*

[QUOTE=Kb21;57920031]i don't understand why that markov hit by kadri was a penalty, kadri hit him on his side and markov just happened to turn the other way leaving him vulnerable.

His back was turned to the wall, doesnt matter what angle Kadri got him on you simply DO NOT hit a guy from behind, its dangerous and if these players dont smarten up out there someone will lose their life out there. IMO Kadri deserved that penalty for boarding!

Kingstonian84* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 12:31 AM
EucaLEAFtys

This was not a surprising result.

The officiating was terrible (as expected) and the Habs' "special" teams weren't special at all. Also, the Habs' offence was just as anemic as it was last season, and as such, posed no real threat at any point during the game..

As a result, this game was not a real challenge for the Leafs and was certainly not worth getting overly excited about.

One decent game against a weak opponent proves only one thing: that you're only a little better than the weak team you've just beaten.

Let's see how the Leafs fare against stiffer competition first BEFORE people here get too excited.

I suspect that, once the adrenaline wears off and the Leafs start facing some real challenges, their true colors will come to the surface.

EucaLEAFtys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 12:34 AM
Kingstonian84*

One decent game against a weak opponent proves only one thing: that you're only a little better than the weak team you've just beaten.

Lets be honest this team has been a lottery team for 4 years I don't think were in a position to consider any opponent weak, we need to at least get to the "mediocre" level before we can start thumbing our noses down at other teams.

Kingstonian84* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 12:37 AM
zeke
#freewilly

nice win.

price had to stand on his head to keep this one close.

kadri's gonna be first line center sooner rather than later.

kessel the chubster was flying out there, looked to be in midseason form.

liles looked much better than he did at the end of last year, too.

solid but not great stuff from scrivens. still, good to see.

zeke is online now   Reply With Quote