HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

No Nhl Till 2007-2008...?!!?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-04-2005, 04:26 AM
  #1
Mr. Hab
Registered User
 
Mr. Hab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,155
vCash: 500
No Nhl Till 2007-2008...?!!?

What if NHL 2005-2006, 2006-2007 didn't happen...??
Just to let everyone know, I'm obsessed with NHL hockey, hockey, but...
I'm fed up with greedy NHL players...(not all NHL players, just the greedy ones, like Tie Dummy for example).
I miss hockey so much but I'm actually getting used to it (the lockout) a little.
It's (unfortunately) the only way that the greedy/spoiled NHL players will realize that making 2-3mil per year (instead of 4-5-6 mil or +) is waaaaay better than working 9-to-5 for 30 to 50 THOUSAND per year. Another year or two (of this strike) is exactly what they need to realize they can't keep up with their FERRARI/PORSCHE, MANSIONS, CLUB MED, PROSTITUTE payments...
This is what will wake them up...
I miss hockey, but I definitely want salary cap & I definitely do not feel any sympathy/empathy for spoiled/greedy millionaire NHL players.
Long live the lockout! At least, until most players realize how good they have it.


Last edited by Mr. Hab: 03-05-2005 at 07:01 AM.
Mr. Hab is offline  
Old
03-04-2005, 12:50 PM
  #2
romain_jaime
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 576
vCash: 500
It won't take that long to realize for the players to realize the reality of not having pay checks.There aren't that many players making more then 6 million a year. In fact, I believe that more then 90% of all NHL players make less then 6 million.

romain_jaime is offline  
Old
03-04-2005, 01:03 PM
  #3
Vic Rattlehead*
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: St-Hubert, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,790
vCash: 500
There will be hockey in 2005-2006. Bettman said operations for the season will start, with NHL players or not.

Vic Rattlehead* is offline  
Old
03-04-2005, 03:14 PM
  #4
MacDaddy TLC*
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Leafin La Vida Loca
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,478
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by romain_jaime
It won't take that long to realize for the players to realize the reality of not having pay checks.There aren't that many players making more then 6 million a year. In fact, I believe that more then 90% of all NHL players make less then 6 million.
There were 592 players under contract for 2004-05

4 were scheduled to make (keyword is make not earn) 10 million or more (Jagr, Lidstrom, Pronger, Yashin)
15 more were to make 7 million or more (Leclair, Modano, Tkachuk, Guerin, Holik, Sakic, Blake, Belfour, Cujo, Sundin, Bertuzzi, S Niedermayer, Roenick, P Turgeon, Weight)
10 more were to make 6 million + (S Stevens, Brodeur, J Thornton, Khabibulin, Nolan, Leetch, Kolzig, S Fedorov, Theodore, Zubov)

That is a grand total of 29 players, roughly 5%. This does not include unsigned Restricted and unrestricted free agents (160 total, not accounting for those who would have retired,/headed back to Europe), some of whom would have got over 6 mil (Iginla for sure). If the 5% were to hold true (not a guarantee it would) then you can add 8 to the list for a total of 37 players.

The average salary has been estimated at approx. 1.3 million/year. 286 players or 48% have contracts that are over the average salary. If these numbers hold ture after the 160 other players either have contracts or are removed, morethan half the league is earning less than the average salary.

MacDaddy TLC* is offline  
Old
03-04-2005, 03:31 PM
  #5
MacDaddy TLC*
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Leafin La Vida Loca
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,478
vCash: 500
For the 2005-06 season:

288 players are under contract; 2.3 million is the average salary of those under contract

22 make over 6 million (approx 8%)
101 or 35% make over the average salary


304 contracts will have expired with 45 being unrestricted free agents.

MacDaddy TLC* is offline  
Old
03-04-2005, 05:14 PM
  #6
Charge_Seven
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,631
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab
What if NHL 2005-2006, 2006-2007 didn't happen...??
Just to let everyone know, I'm obsessed with NHL hockey, hockey, but...
I'm fed up with greedy NHL players...(not all NHL players, just the greedy ones, like Tie Dummy for example).
I miss hockey so much but I'm actually getting used to it (the strike) a little.
It's (unfortunately) the only way that the greedy/spoiled NHL players will realize that making 2-3mil per year (instead of 4-5-6 mil or +) is waaaaay better than working 9-to-5 for 30 to 50 THOUSAND per year. Another year or two (of this strike) is exactly what they need to realize they can't keep up with their FERRARI/PORSCHE, MANSIONS, CLUB MED, PROSTITUTE payments...
This is what will wake them up...
I miss hockey, but I definitely want salary cap & I definitely do not feel any sympathy/empathy for spoiled/greedy millionaire NHL players.
Long live the strike! At least, until most players realize how good they have it.
Well...first off...it's a lockout, not a strike...

Second, what about the greedy billionaire owners?

Posts like this serve nothing other than show you're unwilling to even look at both sides.

Charge_Seven is offline  
Old
03-05-2005, 06:10 AM
  #7
Mr. Hab
Registered User
 
Mr. Hab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,155
vCash: 500
owners...

Owners are the ones who lose money...
What happens when a player like Martin Lapointe (5 million per year) doesn't deliver more than 15-20 points per season??
The owner (no matter what) pays Martin Lapointe the 5 mil per year. Fair? Unfair?
No matter what you say, or how you look at it, NHL players are soooooo spoiled. They are so spoiled in how they spend their money (mansions, Club Med vacations, prostitutes, fancy cars, prostitutes...).
There will always be owners...owners who make money, lose money...they are businessmen. Owners: 30 owners VS. a 1000 greedy/spoiled or more players. No one talks about it when an NHL businessman loses a lot of $$.
But, these NHL players who say they love hockey not the $$$...are full of it. Most of them wouldn't take half a million since they already make 2-3 mil. They are greedy, and that's it. Most of us "normal" people would and could retire with half a mil.
MOST of 'em have a million and more (or way more) in their banks, and they want a lot more of it...more...
Let them do some teaching or any "real" job for a year...let's see how they react to $30,000-40,000 a year. They would freak 'cause they're all spoiled by now.
I say f___ 'em all. They're all greedy, selfish NHL players. Let' em rot in Europe forever. Good for them. Let 'em discover Europe (culture they have never experienced). I couldn't care less for those greedy NHL players. Most of 'em are wanna-be macho men, cave-men with sticks (Tie Dummy) with no brains, and with waaaaay too much $$. Let 'em rot in hell for all I care.


Last edited by Mr. Hab: 03-05-2005 at 07:05 AM.
Mr. Hab is offline  
Old
03-05-2005, 01:14 PM
  #8
Habs13
Registered User
 
Habs13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: England
Posts: 5,367
vCash: 500
People tend to take what they have for granted and only realize what they had once it's gone. I hope the players soon realize that they should take what they can get and accept the salary cap, because, let's face it.. $2 million US dollars a year is a fantastic salary for any man! I would consider myself extremly lucky to make $100,000 Canadian dollars a year and can't even fathom making $2 milliion a year. These people should realize that they are also in the minority of people who actually enjoy what they do for a living.. they really are lucky and I hope all 592 of them grow to realize that.

Habs13 is online now  
Old
03-06-2005, 04:33 AM
  #9
Mr. Hab
Registered User
 
Mr. Hab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,155
vCash: 500
Thank-you HABS13 for those comments...

I'm sure there ARE a few players (hopefully more than "a few good men") out there that still realize how lucky they are to be making so much $$. But, the majority is still spoiled rotten. NURSES have to bust their behinds for $30,000-35,000 per year (and have to work a WHOLE entire year for that $30,000/year). Imagine Tie Dummy doing that kind of work (nurse, teacher...) for a whole year? He wouldn't survive.
I'm not saying hockey is an easy sport but most of 'em love what they do...
I hope NHL hockey comes back but only if there is a salary cap. These salaries are completely out-of-hand! (Martin Lapointe at 5.5 mil per year...Hollik at 9 mil per year...!! It has to stop!).
Long live the salary cap!

Mr. Hab is offline  
Old
03-06-2005, 08:33 PM
  #10
VirginiaMtlExpat
Iggy button advocate
 
VirginiaMtlExpat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Norfolk, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab
Owners are the ones who lose money...
What happens when a player like Martin Lapointe (5 million per year) doesn't deliver more than 15-20 points per season??
The owner (no matter what) pays Martin Lapointe the 5 mil per year. Fair? Unfair?
No matter what you say, or how you look at it, NHL players are soooooo spoiled. They are so spoiled in how they spend their money (mansions, Club Med vacations, prostitutes, fancy cars, prostitutes...).
Martin Lapointe was a case of an irrational owner. The Bruins owner hates the Wings owner and wanted to stick it to him at any cost, even if it meant destabilizing the salary structure of his own team. The unfortunate thing is that the way hockey arbitration worked thereafter, this contract was considered relevant to subsequent negotiations. If hockey arbitration had a means of disregarding both low and high salary negotiations, and considering median figures instead, hockey would probably not be in this mess.

VirginiaMtlExpat is offline  
Old
03-06-2005, 08:56 PM
  #11
Brisson11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: On the rink
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,264
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Brisson11
Meh the lockout has done only good things for me especially because I was addicted to hockey.

Brisson11 is offline  
Old
03-08-2005, 05:17 AM
  #12
Mr. Hab
Registered User
 
Mr. Hab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,155
vCash: 500
to Brisson11...

same here! I'm addicted to hockey, and/but... this year I have more of a life!
I remember getting more excited about a minor Habs' trade than seeing one of my last ex-girlfriends! I'd do anything to skip a Saturday night date in order to watch a Habs' game!
Not the case anymore!
Long live the salary cap!
----------------
I still think it's so wrong, so unfair that (approx.) 600 NHL players will make waaaaaay more $$ (in 2-3 years) than a "good/caring" doctor will make in (close to) half of his/her (working) lifetime. One major problem is most people will pay
a 100$ for a ticket. If people continue paying ludicrous amounts of $$ to watch NHL hockey, then the crazy salaries will continue. A salary cap is definitely needed.


Last edited by Mr. Hab: 03-08-2005 at 05:28 AM.
Mr. Hab is offline  
Old
03-08-2005, 03:54 PM
  #13
Bulldog fan
Timmy Dogs Alum 1999
 
Bulldog fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: 101York Bld Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 918
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregStack
Well...first off...it's a lockout, not a strike...

Second, what about the greedy billionaire owners?

Posts like this serve nothing other than show you're unwilling to even look at both sides.
Your just upset because he accurately referred to your favourite player as Tie Dummy :lol .

Bulldog fan is offline  
Old
03-16-2005, 02:54 AM
  #14
Mr. Hab
Registered User
 
Mr. Hab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,155
vCash: 500
tie dummy...

Tie Dummy shouldn't be in the nhl, he should be in jail where he belongs.

Mr. Hab is offline  
Old
03-16-2005, 04:00 AM
  #15
Vlad The Impaler
Registered User
 
Vlad The Impaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Montreal
Posts: 11,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab
----------------
I still think it's so wrong, so unfair that (approx.) 600 NHL players will make waaaaaay more $$ (in 2-3 years) than a "good/caring" doctor will make in (close to) half of his/her (working) lifetime.
From a "real life values" standpoint, you're right of course.

However, from an economic perspective, it's completely logical that those athletes make more than a doctor.

And frankly, doctors make more than enough money to live VERY well.

Vlad The Impaler is offline  
Old
03-16-2005, 06:30 AM
  #16
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Sri Lanka
Posts: 17,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanMontrealExpat
Martin Lapointe was a case of an irrational owner. The Bruins owner hates the Wings owner and wanted to stick it to him at any cost, even if it meant destabilizing the salary structure of his own team. The unfortunate thing is that the way hockey arbitration worked thereafter, this contract was considered relevant to subsequent negotiations. If hockey arbitration had a means of disregarding both low and high salary negotiations, and considering median figures instead, hockey would probably not be in this mess.
Are you sure UFA's contracts were used as models for RFAs going into arbitration ? I read the whole CBA and I'm pretty sure they can't be brought up as comparative in salary arbitration disputes.

Des Louise is offline  
Old
03-17-2005, 05:02 PM
  #17
Capitano
Registered User
 
Capitano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab
Tie Dummy shouldn't be in the nhl, he should be in jail where he belongs.


This is the funniest thing I have ever read on these boards. And I agree 100%

I'll add my 2 cents here as well, first off I agree 100% with Mr. Hab. Seriously though, I blame the players for making the money. I love it when somebody says "Hey, do you blame the players for being given millions of dollars?" Well personally I DO in fact blame the players. And here is why :

If I'm Patrice Brisebois, and I play for the Montreal Canadiens and I'm offered 4.5 milllion to play, I say NO WAY and take 3 million instead, but that's just me. But NOOOO, Patrice has to take 4.5 because why? Because he's greedy. He knew he was being overpaid. He knew it and he took it. So I don't mind anybody booing him if he loses the puck, because he chose to be in that position. Montreal fans are smart, they know how much he makes. They get on his case because he's a bum who took too much money.

Anyway, in the end the players will "lose". They are proving nothing by this solidarity tactic. What they are proving is that they will never get the money they lost this year. Way to go guys!

I don't have a problem with a hockey player making 5 million a year...but anything more than that seems to bother me. And if you ask me, I think 5 million is generous.

Cap

Capitano is offline  
Old
03-17-2005, 07:44 PM
  #18
FTK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Longueuil
Posts: 560
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano


This is the funniest thing I have ever read on these boards. And I agree 100%

I'll add my 2 cents here as well, first off I agree 100% with Mr. Hab. Seriously though, I blame the players for making the money. I love it when somebody says "Hey, do you blame the players for being given millions of dollars?" Well personally I DO in fact blame the players. And here is why :

If I'm Patrice Brisebois, and I play for the Montreal Canadiens and I'm offered 4.5 milllion to play, I say NO WAY and take 3 million instead, but that's just me. But NOOOO, Patrice has to take 4.5 because why? Because he's greedy. He knew he was being overpaid. He knew it and he took it. So I don't mind anybody booing him if he loses the puck, because he chose to be in that position. Montreal fans are smart, they know how much he makes. They get on his case because he's a bum who took too much money.

Anyway, in the end the players will "lose". They are proving nothing by this solidarity tactic. What they are proving is that they will never get the money they lost this year. Way to go guys!

I don't have a problem with a hockey player making 5 million a year...but anything more than that seems to bother me. And if you ask me, I think 5 million is generous.

Cap
Yeah right, It's really easy to say that since it will never happen to you. But if you were ever offerered 4.5 millions you would be stupid not to accept it. Just...Stupid...

Folks, both the owners and players are greedy...it's really funny to see everybody bashing hockey players and owners because they want to make money. HELLO? we live in a capitalist society : everybody(except a few) wants to make more money, but hockey players shouldn't? that's r-i-d-i-c-u-l-o-u-s

If I was a hockey player, I'd say to the media...Sure, I'll take a paycut, when everybody who read my comments will be ready to take a paycut as well.

I'm not saying hockey players aren't overpaid, but in the current economical context, I can hardly understand why people expect hockey players to do what the rest of society doesn't.

FTK is offline  
Old
03-17-2005, 09:19 PM
  #19
Capitano
Registered User
 
Capitano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTK
Yeah right, It's really easy to say that since it will never happen to you. But if you were ever offerered 4.5 millions you would be stupid not to accept it. Just...Stupid...

Folks, both the owners and players are greedy...it's really funny to see everybody bashing hockey players and owners because they want to make money. HELLO? we live in a capitalist society : everybody(except a few) wants to make more money, but hockey players shouldn't? that's r-i-d-i-c-u-l-o-u-s

If I was a hockey player, I'd say to the media...Sure, I'll take a paycut, when everybody who read my comments will be ready to take a paycut as well.

I'm not saying hockey players aren't overpaid, but in the current economical context, I can hardly understand why people expect hockey players to do what the rest of society doesn't.
Why would it be stupid not to accept it? Do you think Brisebois will get anywhere close to that money ever again? I didn't think so. So by taking less money he could have earned a WAY better than average salary and still get a raise next time his contract was up! By flying under the rader he wouldn't have had the extra pressure and criticism.

Hey, personally I'd feel guilty if I were Patrice Brisebois and I made that kind of money. I think he knows he's overpaid. It must be tough to look at himself in the mirror somedays.

How can you hardly understand it? It's simple...the NHL is not a successful league, the NFL pays their star players peanuts compared to a high-priced NHL star. And we're talking some star NFL players here. The fact is this...in ANY company, if the business is successful, the owners have the option of paying their employees well. If the company isn't successful, the employees have ZERO right to demand anything. The NHL players are lucky to be playing for the money they are playing for period. I love the way people think it's so EASY to get a sports franchise. If these players think that the owners are making SO much money, why don't they form their own league and play there? Want to know why they don't? Because they're greedy hockey players

Cap

Capitano is offline  
Old
03-17-2005, 10:58 PM
  #20
FTK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Longueuil
Posts: 560
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano
Why would it be stupid not to accept it? Do you think Brisebois will get anywhere close to that money ever again? I didn't think so. So by taking less money he could have earned a WAY better than average salary and still get a raise next time his contract was up! By flying under the rader he wouldn't have had the extra pressure and criticism.

Hey, personally I'd feel guilty if I were Patrice Brisebois and I made that kind of money. I think he knows he's overpaid. It must be tough to look at himself in the mirror somedays.

How can you hardly understand it? It's simple...the NHL is not a successful league, the NFL pays their star players peanuts compared to a high-priced NHL star. And we're talking some star NFL players here. The fact is this...in ANY company, if the business is successful, the owners have the option of paying their employees well. If the company isn't successful, the employees have ZERO right to demand anything. The NHL players are lucky to be playing for the money they are playing for period. I love the way people think it's so EASY to get a sports franchise. If these players think that the owners are making SO much money, why don't they form their own league and play there? Want to know why they don't? Because they're greedy hockey players

Cap

we're not in 1820...employees have MANY rights, even if the buisness who employs them is in bad shape. Why would the players care about the NHL? If the NHL collapses, the players will find a job elsewhere and a new league will probably created in America. They're better off leaching as much money as they can from the NHL.

And I doubt Brisebois would have gotten a raise if his salary was 3 millions / year. Pressure and criticism is part of the game : Brisebois was very strong mentally to get throught all the booing he received, even if he deserved it( which he didn't ), and still wanting to play for the Habs. Classy, but overpaid player.

FTK is offline  
Old
03-18-2005, 09:01 AM
  #21
Capitano
Registered User
 
Capitano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTK
we're not in 1820...employees have MANY rights, even if the buisness who employs them is in bad shape. Why would the players care about the NHL? If the NHL collapses, the players will find a job elsewhere and a new league will probably created in America. They're better off leaching as much money as they can from the NHL.

And I doubt Brisebois would have gotten a raise if his salary was 3 millions / year. Pressure and criticism is part of the game : Brisebois was very strong mentally to get throught all the booing he received, even if he deserved it( which he didn't ), and still wanting to play for the Habs. Classy, but overpaid player.
Thank you for admitting the players are in it exclusively for the money.

As far as Brisebois goes you can look at it 2 ways. I choose to look at it my way and you choose to look at it your way. I acknowledge your argument though. Don't agree with it, but it's a valid argument.

Cap

Capitano is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:01 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.