HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Post Game Colorado Avalanche Vs Minnesota Wild Jan. 19/2013 7:00PM MST.

Closed Thread

Old
01-20-2013, 10:46 AM
Avs71

vCash: 500
I'm not concerned about the offense because that is the sort of thing that will come as guys get their timing back. It is the defense that is pretty worrying, because I don't think there is much room to go up on tonight.

Hejda/O'Byrne are just a black hole of a second pairing. If Sacco is playing EJ's pair against the top line, like he did last night, then this is such a useless pairing. I can't stand them. Hejda looked like he dull skates all night. He didn't look strong at all. O'Byrne kinda just looked like he always did, which is to say he's good at skating backwards and forcing forwards wide.

Zanon/Barrie were alright. Not a whole lot to speak of. I like what Zanon does but you can tell he is a 3rd pairing non-puckmoving defenceman. Barrie is the same size as Shattenkirk, but just looks so much smaller.

As for Wilson/EJ, it was nice to see Sacco finally use EJ against the top forwards. I was surprised he almost hit 23 minutes of ice, even with leaving the game. Hopefully this is something that continues as he is just so much stronger and faster than any other defenceman out there. Wilson had a couple really big hits, but he gets exposed so damn bad. Exposed on the pk and on that last goal.

The PK let Heatley score the exact same goal twice. Wilson/Barrie just shouldn't be out there as they were both bent over on Heatley's goals. It was nice when Johnson was back and just cross checking Heatley in the back knocking him to the ice on the PK.

As for the powerplay, hopefully once players get the rhythm back this will click better, but it was pretty bad last night. If the Avs want Johnson shooting the puck, then they have to keep it away from him until they move it around enough to open up a shot lane, otherwise he should just try being a playmaker from the point, or watch some footage of guys creating shot lanes for themselves. Otherwise I don't think we'll see a lot of scoring generated by him. I don't like the units Sacco is sending out for this a whole lot. McGinn and Jones just seem too one-dimensional to me. They're good at crashing the net, with the occasional great shot, but they lack creativity, hands, and passing.

Wouldn't mind seeing Hunwick's skating ability against the Kings. He atleast doesn't get walked around like Wilson.

The NHL on the whole was pretty bad yesterday. Jets game was boring. No pre-season just means a rusty start to the season for everyone. No reason to panic and think this team still won't be competing for a playoff spot in a couple months.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:50 AM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Originally Posted by klozge View Post
One bad period and some people are freaking out already. Imo it was a pretty good game considering the circumstances. Defense is garbage without EJ and O'Reilly needs to be re-signed asap, though.
Agreed, we could have easily won that game even with the terrible 2nd period. 2 Easy empty netters missed in the 1st and 3rd and that if they were capitalized on leads to a 4-3 game for us late in the 3rd and we probably win.

EJ played 22 mins last night even after missing half of the 2nd with whatever happened to him, he would have probably played close to if not over 25 mins last night, that's what we need from him and Sacco on Defense. We need our best Dman playing not our worst.

Looking forward to the game on Tuesday, I saw a lot of good things out of that game, a lot to build on.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:51 AM
WornWithPride
24 cups? Who cares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Agree completely.

I watched the game in HD and didn't see any of that. Maybe if I had a frozen feed, I could have seen the plays you're suggesting.

At least 3 other people saw the same game I did from Duchene. Not saying he was perfect, but there was a distinct difference between the way he played last season and the way he played last night and it was a positive progression. I think you might be dissecting his game a little too much and not taking into consideration his game on a global scale...just a guess.

Like I said, Duchene could of had 2 goals last night if he capitalizes then nobody even comes close to criticizing him. I'm not worried.
This

I really hope we can get off his back. He skated well, and made plays. I was honestly surprised by the play of PA and Landy. They both looked sluggish. That being said, I'm not worried. It's hard to have chemistry with players you've only skated with for 5 days.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:54 AM
bohlmeister
Horny for Offense!

vCash: 400
I know I am going to take some heat, but either Zanon or Hejda has to play with EJ.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:55 AM
chet1926

Quote:
Originally Posted by klozge View Post
One bad period and some people are freaking out already. Imo it was a pretty good game considering the circumstances. Defense is garbage without EJ and O'Reilly needs to be re-signed asap, though.
Seriously people need to calm down. I agree I think the Avs were the better team in the first and third periods. The Avs just got a bit undisciplined in the 2nd which kind of snowballed on them leading to bad penalties and gave Minnesota some confidence.

I was disgusted with the amount of no-calls on the Wild as well. 7-3 PP attempts for Minnesota. Not saying we didn't deserve 7 penalties but there were at least 2 obvious no-calls on the Wild which could have helped us a bit. Its going to be a long year if every game we are going to be short-handed more than double the other team. I Don't know what the Avs have to do to get a call. It seems like we never get any calls.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:58 AM
Ivan13
Problem child

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohlmeister View Post
I know I am going to take some heat, but either Zanon or Hejda has to play with EJ.
I agree, but that's not saying much, since IMHO we have EJ and 6 guys that shouldn't be let anywhere near the 1st pairing.

Old
01-20-2013, 11:02 AM
bohlmeister
Horny for Offense!

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
I agree, but that's not saying much, since IMHO we have EJ and 6 guys that shouldn't be let anywhere near the 1st pairing.
Oh, it isn't your opinion. It is facts.

If you utter EJ and Hejda in the same sentence there are usually 15 people that hammer on you about how it didn't work last season.

Old
01-20-2013, 11:02 AM
WornWithPride
24 cups? Who cares.

Quote:
#2D has been an obvious weakness for quite some time now. We've said it before, and it won't change throughout the year unless we trade/sign/draft --> (JONES?!?!?).
But it is quite embarrassing to have Wilson on the first pairing. I mean, on a good team, he's what? #6? #7?

Old
01-20-2013, 11:05 AM
Ivan13
Problem child

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohlmeister View Post
Oh, it isn't your opinion. It is facts.

If you utter EJ and Hejda in the same sentence there are usually 15 people that hammer on you about how it didn't work last season.
They should play together because that's our only chance at having a decent 1st pair. I wouldn't even mind it if Sacco tries ROB on the left side of the ice alongside Barrie.

Old
01-20-2013, 11:09 AM
AdamCalderHero
Blaze = UK Avs

We wont see the best out of EJ until he gets a consistent partner who can log big minutes.

Old
01-20-2013, 11:09 AM
iAvs
JUST WIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by WornWithPride View Post
#2D has been an obvious weakness for quite some time now. We've said it before, and it won't change throughout the year unless we trade/sign/draft --> (JONES?!?!?).
But it is quite embarrassing to have Wilson on the first pairing. I mean, on a good team, he's what? #6? #7?
Exactly, and I talked about this last night too. On a contending team, a guy like Wilson doesn't play in the top 4. He's a great locker room player and will have the occasional good game. But, waaaay to inconsistent to be a top 6 and this has been a problem on the Avs for years. Outside of EJ, there are no legit top 6 defensemen on this team. If I'm coaching against the Avs, that's the glaring weakness on the team I would exploit.

Old
01-20-2013, 11:10 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Quote:
They should play together because that's our only chance at having a decent 1st pair. I wouldn't even mind it if Sacco tries ROB on the left side of the ice alongside Barrie.
I don't see who would have done better than Wilson with EJ, everyone was mediocre out there on defense.

We lost this game ourselves through sloppy plays and sloppy penalties. Downie single handedly cost us a goal and failed to score an empty net goal. McGinn shanked a goal. Staz missed the upper net, Duchy was kept to the outside all game and Lando was underused with Duchy and Parenteau.

Quite simply. Landeskog has to be with Staz, let McGinn or Downie play bottle rocket on Duchy's line and get O'Reilly back on this damn team. Our PK was ATROCIOUS. Kobasew could have helped it was so bad.

Last edited by Lonewolfe2015: 01-20-2013 at 11:17 AM. Reason: stupid autocorrects
Old
01-20-2013, 11:10 AM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Watched parts of the game last night. The team looked very sloppy, and the penalty parade in the second really hurt their cause. From what I saw, the forwards didn't seem like they really had any type of chemistry and they were just kind of skating around hoping for the best.

The Avs really need someone that can play with EJ. It makes him much less effective when he has to scramble to try to cover for his linemate, rather than knowing that his linemate can take care of his side of the ice.

Hopefully this team settles down and can start playing better, they looked pretty good for a large chunk of the first from what I saw, but discipline may be an issue for the team.

Old
01-20-2013, 11:11 AM
iAvs
JUST WIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamCalderHero View Post
We wont see the best out of EJ until he gets a consistent partner who can log big minutes.
I agree. He should also be much more of a factor on the PP too. EJ has a lot more to give to this team, but we're not set up yet to see it.

Old
01-20-2013, 11:12 AM
TheFactor
Johnny Malkin

Downie needs to control his temper. If it weren't for his stupid penalties we probably woulda won

Old
01-20-2013, 11:14 AM
iAvs
JUST WIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
I don't see who would have done better than Wilson with EJ, everyone was mediocre out there on defense.

We lost this game ourselves through sloppy plays and sloppy penalties. Downie single handedly cost us a goal and failed to score an empty net goal. McGinn shanked a goal. Staz missed the upper net, Duchy was kept to the outside all game and Landon was underused with Duchy and Parenteau.

Quite simply. Landeskog has to be with Staz, let McGinn or Downie play bottle rocket on Duchy's line and get O'Reilly back on this damn team. Our PK was ATROCIOUS. Kobasew could have helped it was so bad.
I agree, on defense there is really zip Sacco can do. He's got the players he has available to him... it's hard to make magic out of that. Maybe the FO will make a good effort to get a top 6 to help EJ one day, but that isn't in the cards as it stands now. In order to be successful, we're going to need great production from our forwards. Last night showed the Avs have a lot of rust and it's going to take a few games at least to build some chemistry. HOPEFULLY then, the offense will start to roll.

Old
01-20-2013, 11:25 AM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
I'd like to see McGinn and Lando on a line with Stastny. Landeskog has played some RW before, and McGinn and Stastny were some of the few forwards that actually looked like they had chemistry last night.

However, I would also like to see the teams lines being run for a few more games before changes are made. These lines have, for the most part, only been together for a week and last night was their first test against real competition.

Old
01-20-2013, 11:26 AM
the_fan

I don't think Avs are desperate to make the playoffs this year, otherwise they would of done something with O'Reilly whether it's signing him, or trading him for someone who can come in and help the team win.

O'Reilly playing in KHL sure doesn't help the Avs in any way. This team need all the help they can get if they want to make the playoffs.

Edit: This is a short season, you snooze you lose.

Old
01-20-2013, 11:27 AM
iAvs
JUST WIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fan View Post
I don't think Avs are desperate to make the playoffs this year, otherwise they would of done something with O'Reilly whether it's signing him, or trading him for someone who can come in and help the team win.

O'Reilly playing in KHL sure doesn't help the Avs in any way. This team need all the help they can get if they want to make the playoffs.
Or... the Avs believe they can make the playoffs with the players they have.

Old
01-20-2013, 11:29 AM
Ivan13
Problem child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post

We lost this game ourselves through sloppy plays and sloppy penalties. Downie single handedly cost us a goal and failed to score an empty net goal. McGinn shanked a goal. Staz missed the upper net, Duchy was kept to the outside all game and Landon was underused with Duchy and Parenteau.

I think Hejda should play with EJ, because he's better than Wilson and teh 2nd pairing of Hejda and ROB makes no sense whatsoever because of the complete inability of the two of them to mov ethe puck with any sucess.

As for Landeskog playing with Duchene and PAP, I didn't like that line when I first heard about it and I like it even less after last nights game, Lando and Dutch just don't seem like a good fit. Matt tries to do too much by himself and that renders PAP and Lando underutilized. All three of them need a puck on their stick to create something and there just isn't enough puck on the ice to make that line work. As you've pointed out I would put McGinn (a guy that can keep up with Duchene to a certain degree and crashes the net) or Downie (a guy who proved he can play with Duchene on an international level) with Duchene.

Also I really don't see a good fit for PAP on any line without Radar on the team. If he plays with Stastny, he's playing with a guy who's also a pass first player, if he gets sloted next to Duchene, he's too slow to keep up with him and he doesn't have the puck on his stick to create plays like he did with the Islanders. Now if Radar gets back, I wouldn't mind seeing a Landeskog - Radar - PAP line.

As for our PK, I voiced my concerns about it before the season started, there's just no way to replace what Silent Jay, Winnik and Radar brought to this team with the current cast of forwards and when you know that Kobasew is out as well things get even worse.

Old
01-20-2013, 11:30 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsare1 View Post
I actually disagree with some of your opinions on Duchene and Stastny.

I thought Duchene looked good last night, lots of energy and he looked like he was playing to prove something. Landeskog was the weak leak on that line. He didn't seem to have the energy PAP or Duchene had and maybe didn't have the chemistry with them either.

As for Stastny I actually thought he played very good away from the puck last night, possibly the best Defensively of all our forwards, he was good on the PK and good 5 on 5. He also should have had an Assist and McGinn should have had a goal, those are things that cant happen if were going to have success this year.

Overall I didn't think we played all that poorly, first period was clearly ours, then Downie took a couple real stupid penalties and basically killed all momentum and gave the Wild a huge boost for the whole 2nd. The 3rd was pretty even, and again if we could score on empty nets it would've been 3-3 late in the 3rd not 4-2.

Oh well, on to the next. Another couple losses and I think we will start to see some movement on the Oreilly front, either via a trade or signing him we can't keep playing without that extra asset on our team, either Oreilly or help on Defense.
even how poor Landeskog p,ayed last night he was billion times better than Stastny defensive. Actually I thought Duchene was better too. Stastny looked lost in both zones all game long with terrible decision making, Jones actually tried to clear the puck and hit Varlamov's pad which went straight to Bouchard, and McGinn farted when he had an open net.

Old
01-20-2013, 11:31 AM
cgf

I want it to be Downie that gets put on Dutchy's line in Lando's place. I think Downie would fit in awesomely next to Dutchy and PAP cause he's actually a very nifty passer for someone who brings as much grit and pestiness as he does.

Give Landy a go with Staz and McGinn or Jones, dropping the other one down to the third line with Duke.

Old
01-20-2013, 11:32 AM
WornWithPride
24 cups? Who cares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAvs View Post
I doubt this is the case. They probably think the core they have is enough to grow on though. So they are in a non-tank mode/non-playoff mode situation. They'll finish in 9-11 spot and get a bad pick.
They could really use a top 5 pick this year. The crop looks really good.

Old
the_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAvs View Post
I don't think so.

Old
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamCalderHero View Post
Yeah and his name is Hunwick. Sacco knows how well they played last year, I don't understand why he didn't start them this year?

Defense for next game.

EJ - Hunwick/Hejda
ROB - Barrie
Zanon - Wilson/Hejda

Closed Thread