HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Genious: Sami V hype train. Sing along here!

Closed Thread

Old
04-18-2013, 11:40 AM
Ducks DVM
Global Moderator
There is no grunion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
With Vatanen a possibility tonight, I'm going to open this back up for now. Don't make me regret this decision.
Quoted, so people keep the discussion on hockey, so this thread doesn't get locked again in less than 24 hours.

Old
04-18-2013, 12:08 PM
Getz2perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
Quoted, so people keep the discussion on hockey, so this thread doesn't get locked again in less than 24 hours.
Oh in that case i heard the new man of steel movie was based off real events in the life of one sami vatanen.

Old
04-18-2013, 12:13 PM
douglast5
PS3 GMC Comish

My point was that.

Vatanen's strengths are different from Fowlers strengths (offensively).

I'll take your word (since I dont see AHL games) Vatanen goes for rebounds and tips alot, while Fowler is looking towards passing and hitting a open guy to score.

First PP is very much a quick passing across crease and opening up the defence, which Fowler fits in alot better. I would put Vatanen on the second PP next year, with people who are crashing the net for rebounds/tips. Work both to their strengths.

Old
04-18-2013, 12:43 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglast5 View Post
My point was that.

Vatanen's strengths are different from Fowlers strengths (offensively).

I'll take your word (since I dont see AHL games) Vatanen goes for rebounds and tips alot, while Fowler is looking towards passing and hitting a open guy to score.

First PP is very much a quick passing across crease and opening up the defence, which Fowler fits in alot better. I would put Vatanen on the second PP next year, with people who are crashing the net for rebounds/tips. Work both to their strengths.
We need a right-handed d-man on the PP and I think Sami will fit the bill. I loved that his goal was scored on the left side of the ice because that's exactly where we need him. We need that one-timer option.

I think Sami looked very comfortable out there last night. I love the way he passes the puck. Always connects and leads it into the offensive zone. He doesn't panic in the defensive zone either which is encouraging. I felt like he was able to angle guys off the puck well. He wasn't great at preventing guys from curling out of the corners and going to the net but he was effective. Scotty wasn't good at that either. Fowler too. As long as he figures how to keep them from getting a clear shot to the net and not take a penalty he'll be fine.

I wish we weren't in such a precarious position right now so we can send him back to Norfolk immediately. But we may need him this weekend as the division is hardly wrapped up.

Old
04-18-2013, 01:08 PM
2faded

Vatanen already has more goals that Fowler. Trade Fowler

Old
04-22-2013, 11:04 PM
AngelDuck
Rak 'em up

Great game from the youngster tonight. PP looks SOOOO much better with him and Bonino on it

Old
04-22-2013, 11:35 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Based

the hype is real, and then he stole my gf

Old
04-23-2013, 12:19 AM
12ozPapa

I don't know how you justify benching the kid now. He's played very well and helped our power play and breakout hugely.

Old
04-23-2013, 12:27 AM
Ramenbot

Scratch Sbisa the rest of the season, and playoffs. Keep this kid in.

Old
04-23-2013, 12:31 AM
Professor John Frink

Send a message via ICQ to Professor John Frink
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRagingBolshevik View Post
I don't know how you justify benching the kid now. He's played very well and helped our power play and breakout hugely.
I'll admit he hasn't looked out of place out there, but Edmonton is no LA or STL. Teams where he will be pushed around greatly.

I personally still want Sbisa in there when he is heathy. His size will be needed in the playoffs.

Old
04-23-2013, 12:35 AM
AngelDuck
Rak 'em up

He's better than Sbisa. End of story. Sbisa turns it over more then the 5'9 rookie defenseman. And Vatanen is very good offensively. No brainer for me. Sbisa to the pressbox

Old
04-23-2013, 12:42 AM
mightyquack
Boll 2 hit superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDuck View Post
He's better than Sbisa. End of story. Sbisa turns it over more then the 5'9 rookie defenseman. And Vatanen is very good offensively. No brainer for me. Sbisa to the pressbox
To be fair, Sbisa has the 2nd least giveaways of all our regular dmen with 13 (only Lovejoy has less with 7)

Old
04-23-2013, 12:45 AM
Ramenbot

Actually bench Lydman too and double shift Sami.

Old
04-23-2013, 01:03 AM
QnebO
Wheel, snipe, celly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor John Frink View Post
I'll admit he hasn't looked out of place out there, but Edmonton is no LA or STL. Teams where he will be pushed around greatly.

I personally still want Sbisa in there when he is heathy. His size will be needed in the playoffs.
If Vatanen keeps making our PP better, it could be arguable that he is more valuable. PP situations decide games.. Haven't seen the lastest game, but he made really good first passes the last game I saw and was really adding things to PP also, no just chillin out there. It isn't any suprise that he is close to be NHL ready or ready completely for them who have followed him.

Not gonna say it for sure, haven't see the lastest game.

Last edited by QnebO: 04-23-2013 at 01:34 AM.
Old
04-23-2013, 01:10 AM
PrototypeX85

Quote:
Originally Posted by QnebO View Post
If Vatanen keeps making our PP better, it could be arguable that is more valuable. PP situations decide games.. Haven't seen the lastest game, but he made really good first passes the last game I saw and was really adding things to PP also, no just chillin out there. It isn't any suprise that he is close to be NHL ready for them who have followed him.

Not gonna say it for sure, haven't see the lastest game.
That's certainly up for debate. In the playoffs, teams are going to be crashing the net looking for ugly goals from the get-go. If the Ducks don't have strong enough D-men to keep the opposing forwards out of the crease, that could spell trouble. I'm all for keeping Vatanen on the roster for the playoffs, but I wouldn't sacrifice Sbisa for that cause.

Old
04-23-2013, 01:48 AM
Professor John Frink

Send a message via ICQ to Professor John Frink
Quote:
You're just flat out wrong.

I won't argue Sbisa doesn't have the highest hockey IQ, but he hasn't been even close to the turn over machine you are making him out to be.

The Ducks will need his size in the playoffs.

Granted if the Ducks get into scoring trouble I'm not against Vatanan playing, but going into the first round I don't think we are a better team defensively with Vatanan in the lineup.

Old
04-23-2013, 01:51 AM
AngelDuck
Rak 'em up

Quote:
Am I? Have you not been watching the last 3 games? Sbisa hasn't played as good as Vatanen did in those 3 games all season. Sbisa is an under-performing player with very little hockey sense and no offense ability. I'm seriously asking here: What exactly does Sbisa do well on the ice? He's been shaky in his own zone, and is a black hole offensively with no instincts at all. He's a decent skater, but he doesn't use his wheels like Vatanen can. How about you propose an actual argument instead of the old "you're wrong"

Old
04-23-2013, 01:53 AM
AngelDuck
Rak 'em up

Quote:

I won't argue Sbisa doesn't have the highest hockey IQ, but he hasn't been even close to the turn over machine you are making him out to be.

The Ducks will need his size in the playoffs.

Granted if the Ducks get into scoring trouble I'm not against Vatanan playing, but going into the first round I don't think we are a better team defensively with Vatanan in the lineup.
Why do we need his size? Size means nothing if you don't know how to use it, and Sbisa is clueless. He has been turning the puck over and losing a lot of battles. Been watching him very closely...he isn't an impressive player at all and brings no real skill to the table. Vatanen meanwhile has been making beautiful outlet passes and using his booming shot .

Edit: Plus, Sbisa is useless on the PP, Vatanen has fit in very well on the first unit along with Fowler, Getz, Perry, Bonino

Old
04-23-2013, 02:47 AM
Paul4587

Quote:
He's absolutely not better than Sbisa in his own end - Sbisa is infinitely better along the boards, is a better shot blocker and brings more size and physicality to the table. Sami has looked good but he's been given very sheltered minutes and the last 3 games were against Calgary and Edmonton - the worst two teams in the West IMO.

I have no issue with Sami staying in the lineup for now but if anyone is to sit for Vatanen I hope it's Lovejoy.

Old
04-23-2013, 03:12 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Based

Sbisa's problem is a fairly average IQ which i think is why we see such erratic play from him, one game he will do everything right, the next he will play angles terribly, make stupid passes. if he just consistently simplified his game he would be a steady top 4 guy. I'm split on him and Vatanen, i'd say it depends on who we play, Sami absolutely helps our transition, he can actually make crisp tape to tape passes more than 10 feet! and the x factor is the PP, Fowler looks more comfortable moving around rather than staying in place.

tough decision

only the top 3 are safe from being benched.
Allen probably stays in due to his size and physicality(like him or not in front of the net, and on the boards he has value)
lovejoy/lydman/sbisa/vatanen compete for 2 spots

Old
04-23-2013, 03:18 AM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEEROLE Vatanen View Post
Sbisa's problem is a fairly average IQ which i think is why we see such erratic play from him, one game he will do everything right, the next he will play angles terribly, make stupid passes. if he just consistently simplified his game he would be a steady top 4 guy. I'm split on him and Vatanen, i'd say it depends on who we play, Sami absolutely helps our transition, he can actually make crisp tape to tape passes more than 10 feet! and the x factor is the PP, Fowler looks more comfortable moving around rather than staying in place.

tough decision
Agreed that it's a tough decision. Vatanen's addition on the PP alone makes the whole first unit look so much better (we haven't had a decent PP QB since Visnovsky's 2010-11 season).

I would personally sit Lovejoy. But we still need to sit a second guy and if Lydman is as good as he has been the last couple of games then I want him in the lineup.

If we're playing Minnesota or Detroit in the first round I am more than comfortable playing Vatanen but if we're up against the Blues or BJ's I would probably prefer Sbisa. It will be interesting to see how he looks against Vancouver's forwards on friday.

Old
04-23-2013, 04:35 AM
QnebO
Wheel, snipe, celly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
Agreed that it's a tough decision. Vatanen's addition on the PP alone makes the whole first unit look so much better (we haven't had a decent PP QB since Visnovsky's 2010-11 season).

I would personally sit Lovejoy. But we still need to sit a second guy and if Lydman is as good as he has been the last couple of games then I want him in the lineup.

If we're playing Minnesota or Detroit in the first round I am more than comfortable playing Vatanen but if we're up against the Blues or BJ's I would probably prefer Sbisa. It will be interesting to see how he looks against Vancouver's forwards on friday.
Kinda tough for Sami. Sounds like if he was bit taller, like 185, everyone would choose him in the team. Hope he can gain some muscle and strenght for next season to improve the physical side. Then at least he probably would make the team. Ofcourse the coaches opinion is what matters.

Old
04-23-2013, 04:42 AM
Ducks Nation*

Sami will be in the rotation next year.

Old
04-23-2013, 06:38 AM
Getz2perry

Sbisa plays better in physical games, thats what the playoffs are full of, id expect him to have a good playoff run. souray is the one im actually afraid of, hes always looked shakey to me in the defensive zone the only thing i like is that hes mean around the net, and has a decent shot but he doesnt get it through because he sucks at skating laterally.

I wouldnt mind seeing something like
Beauch + Souray
Sbisa + Fowler
Allen + Vatenen

I feel what vatanen brings to our powerplay far out weighs what the other choices bring to the team... and if he starts to show he cant hang with the bigger teams we can sub him out, but so far hes done a good job making do with what hes got.

Old
04-23-2013, 07:16 AM
Trizz

vCash: 647
too much hate on sbisa in here
i think he's an important piece of the team

Quote:
Beauch + Souray
Sbisa + Fowler
Allen + Vatenen
jap would be fine

Closed Thread