HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

** Official 2013 Fire Sacco Thread: Part 1 **

Closed Thread

Old
03-18-2013, 06:25 PM
Frenchy
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Just look back at what Radulov had to say about him, he absolutely loves Roy and if I'm not mistaken he lived at his house.
Both of them have a lot of respect for eachothers . When Roy will become a coach in the NHL , i wouldnt be surprised to see Radulov playing for him, once again .

Old
03-18-2013, 08:36 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman Jones View Post
This is more or less the long and the short of it. We know Roy has had success as a coach at the junior level and he has an insatiable fire for winning, neither of which is a prerequisite for being a coach for the Colorado Avalanche.

The Kroenke's aren't selling, they aren't getting rid of Lacroix, and Lacroix isn't changing how he runs the team. Handing the keys to Roy seems like the one thing that might give this franchise a boost.

The only other possibilities are keeping Sacco, hiring Quinn, Army, Chenowyth... and let's not forget the possibility of rehiring Granato. (no I can't discount it)

Of all the realistic possibilities given how we know the organization is run, I can't think of anything that would give this team more hope than handing the keys to Roy.
As has been mentioned, Jacques Martin is another possibility and I think he'd also give the team a boost but I don't think he'd be nearly as good for this team as Roy would be.

Old
03-18-2013, 08:55 PM
Frenchy
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
As has been mentioned, Jacques Martin is another possibility and I think he'd also give the team a boost but I don't think he'd be nearly as good for this team as Roy would be.
I remember talking about him once , but he wasnt a popular choice , arround here .
One thing is clear Martin would be lightyears ahead of Sacco, we would have a good Def system and Varly would gain from it .
Anyway, like Him or not , we need a coach with NHL exp .

Old
03-18-2013, 09:03 PM
Commander Enigma

Quote:
I'd be fine with that... I hadn't seen it mentioned. Does he have some connection to Lacroix?

Old
03-18-2013, 09:34 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman Jones View Post
I'd be fine with that... I hadn't seen it mentioned. Does he have some connection to Lacroix?
When we won the cup in '96, Crawford was head coach, Quenneville and Martin were assistants.

Old
03-18-2013, 09:42 PM
Frenchy
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
When we won the cup in '96, Crawford was head coach, Quenneville and Martin were assistants.
...and the year b4 in Québec

Old
03-18-2013, 10:16 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
...and the year b4 in Québec
...and maybe the year after too. I forget when Martin left and somehow Jacques Cloutier weaseled his way onto our coaching staff.

Old
03-18-2013, 10:37 PM
Frenchy
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
...and maybe the year after too. I forget when Martin left and somehow Jacques Cloutier weaseled his way onto our coaching staff.
Hmm , i'm not 100% sure , but i think Martin left not long after the cup in 96

Old
03-18-2013, 10:43 PM
Alex Jones
Internet Charlatan

Anybody intrested in Paul Maurice?? He's out in the KHL right now, but I'm sure he'd be receptive to another NHL job.

Old
The Kingslayer

Our rebuild is resembling that of the Panthers pre Tallon. Matt Duchene and our young guys need to be around a winning environment otherwise...well look at Stephen Weiss.

Old
tucker3434

It's too late to save this season. I don't even see a point in firing Sacco anymore. Nobody could fix this team's problems and take them to the playoffs now. A new coach may take us up to the 10-12 range in the west. Then we lose the draft as well. Sacco may as well kill this season off himself. Fire him the day after the season ends. Draft Jones/Drouin/Mckinnon. Make a bold offseason move or two. Consider it a fresh start next year as well as Sherman's last chance.

Old
03-18-2013, 10:45 PM
The Kingslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Jones View Post
Anybody intrested in Paul Maurice?? He's out in the KHL right now, but I'm sure he'd be receptive to another NHL job.
We dropped the ball by not hiring Carlyle last yr now look what hes done in Toronto.

Old
03-18-2013, 10:55 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 844
Quote:
Isn't there some sort of archived Wikipedia Page about Paul Maurice?

If so, I need to have that posted so that I can read that awesomeness again.

Hope shines brightest, in the dark, where nothing's ever seen. Lighting undiscovered places, no one's ever been.
Old
03-18-2013, 11:00 PM
chet1926

Has Sacco been canned yet? Not sure how we can physically do any worse at this point.

Old
03-18-2013, 11:03 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Posted this in the GDT

After the second goal, I just cannot believe Sacco didn't change the defensive core.

EJ - Zanon: Has not been working since EJ has returned to the line up. EJ probably played his worst game in an Avs uniform tonight. Zanon got ***** by Kane and Toews on a regular basis.

ROB - Hunwick: Another train wreck game where the refs missed 3-4 RoB penalties and Hunwick created 5 solid scoring chances......for the Hawks. At least he has puck poise, am I right or am I right?

Hejda - SoB: LOL the worst pairing all game long. Landeskog publicly likes American boys, but Hejda secretly LOVES French Canadian Wingers (Drouin) or Tall African-American Defensemen, I currently have Sherlock Holmes on the this trail to figure out who. SOB thinks he is the coolest man in the NHL, but for guy who is learning lessons from ROB on how to play defense without a stick, he was spot on the Toews goal.

Today was by far the worst coaching performance I have seen in a VERY long time.

Old
03-18-2013, 11:08 PM
avsman

This was my absolute breaking point tonight, this game was pitiful, Sacco's interview made me want to burst my own ear drums. I don't think Sacco has to tell them to tank, his decision making has absolutely destroyed their confidence, I feel bad for Varly, Duchene is probably pissed as hell and blames himself, EJ is probably depressed.

Old
03-18-2013, 11:13 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsman View Post
This was my absolute breaking point tonight, this game was pitiful, Sacco's interview made me want to burst my own ear drums. I don't think Sacco has to tell them to tank, his decision making has absolutely destroyed their confidence, I feel bad for Varly, Duchene is probably pissed as hell and blames himself, EJ is probably depressed.
He played our 3 worst d-men, the most minutes and our 3 best d-men the least minutes.

That's a pretty good recipe for tanking if I've ever seen one.

How many games will we have left after April 3rd? We might keep Hunwick & RoB to ensure the job gets DONE. Bringing up Barrie and/or Elliott might not make us bad enough to keep up with Florida and Buffalo.

Old
03-18-2013, 11:19 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Okay, I'm seriously scouring the internet, but I KNOW that there was some sort of Edited Wikipedia Page that told a hilariously fictional story of Paul Maurice, complete with him leading a group of Earth NHLers against some aliens.

Because I've thought of this old, archived Wikipedia page, I need to read it again!

***EDIT***

Found it! And am currently enjoying it

Old
03-18-2013, 11:23 PM
Foppa2118
Release Evertroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpontbriand View Post
Just not a fan on blaming one thing or in this case person for a cluster this big. Plenty of talent and goal and for the most part the top 3 lines. The D? Its horrible. I am getting to the point in thinking that EJ is not a number 1 D and maybe and adequate 2. Maybe better D will make him player better but right now I am not impressed at all.
I think you're probably right, EJ is probably a #2, but that isn't the only struggling aspect of this team. There's just so many. Look at out many glorious chances they missed in the first period against the Hawks. You can't win hockey games screwing those up.

Sacco has no finger on the pulse of this team.

He has no idea how to get Jones playing up to his capability. He has no idea how to get EJ to fire a slapper in under three seconds.
He has no idea that he's asking his forwards to be too agressive and leading to a wide open nuetral zone, that puts too much pressure on a D unit that isn't very mobile.
He has no idea what a third man high is, except when he walks into Cheech and Chong's office to get coaching tips.
He has no idea how to get the PP to work consistently well, and with at least one defenseman.
He has no idea how to get the team to stop making pointless rookie mistakes.
He has no idea how to get the team to start on time.
He has no idea how to get the team to play the way necessary to hold a lead.
He has no idea how to get the team to win more than two games in a row (the last time was over a year ago on March 14th 2012).
He has no idea how to keep this team from going on long losing skids, and letting their problems snowball and affect the confidence of the team.

Pretty much every fundamental coaching aspect of the game, he underperforms in, and so goes his team. They underperform.

Last edited by Foppa2118: 03-18-2013 at 11:30 PM.
Old
03-18-2013, 11:23 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Good God, NO! What the hell has Paul Maurice ever done in his NHL coaching career!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kingslayer View Post
We dropped the ball by not hiring Carlyle last yr now look what hes done in Toronto.
Hold your horses on Carlyle. The Leafs are pretty much following the same exact pattern they did last season under Wilson. A hot start followed by a mid-season swoon that led them right out of the playoffs. We'll see if a shorter season will actually save them from that fate this time around.

Sorry...not convinced Carlyle is a good coach. He was given a ridiculously stacked roster in Anaheim. The only thing I can say definitively about him is that he's a far better coach than Ron Wilson, which isn't saying much.

Old
03-18-2013, 11:25 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
Good God, NO! What the hell has Paul Maurice ever done in his NHL coaching career!?
His resume speaks for itself.

http://www.fiveminutesforfighting.co...ld-heroes.html

Old
03-18-2013, 11:25 PM
rpontbriand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
I think you're probably right, EJ is probably a #2, but that isn't the only struggling aspect of this team. There's just so many. Look at out many glorious chances they missed in the first period. You can't win hockey games screwing those up.

Sacco has no finger on the pulse of this team. He has no idea how to get Jones playing up to his capability. He has no idea how to get EJ to fire a slapper in under three seconds. He has no idea that he's asking his forwards to be too agressive and leading to a wide open nuetral zone, that puts too much pressure on a D unit that isn't very mobile. He has no idea how to get the PP to work consistently well, and with at least one defenseman. He has no idea how to get the team to stop making pointless rookie mistakes. He has no idea how to get the team to start on time. He has no idea how to get the team to play the way necessary to hold a lead.

Pretty much every fundamental aspect of the game, he underperforms in, and so goes his team. They underperform.
Agreed. They are a fundamental mess (e.g., keeping sticks on the ICE) and that a function of coaching. Bottom line the issues are deep and wide and all over the place. Sad days for all.

Old
03-18-2013, 11:46 PM
Commander Enigma

I forgot that Martin has been an assistant here. That does make him a possibility. I'd prefer Roy just because it's pretty much the only kind of fire the organization can generate right now. A Roy with Martin as an assistant combo sounds pretty appealing if all we can consider is what the organization would consider.

Old
03-18-2013, 11:47 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

#FireSacco

Old
03-19-2013, 12:10 AM
Hans Landaskog

Roy, Lemieux, and Bourque.

Closed Thread