HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Holy Crap the Hawks can Hit!!

Old
04-30-2013, 11:44 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

vCash: 500
Holy Crap the Hawks can Hit!!

...this was one of the better overall games I have seen from the Hawks this year physically. the hit and grit level was up higher than any point last postseason imo. I think this team learned a lesson last year that they will have to defend or police themselves, and when an opening is there, lay the damn body!

Mad props to Shaw for his wicked hit to set up the game winning goal.

Also Bickell was a beast out there laying out players all game..Konopka got killed!!!

Sharp was throwing his weight around, Stalberg was going at guys, and even Saad threw a few solid hits tonight. This is what the team needs. They need to be physical not because it looks good, but because it brings balance to the game and will keep the opposition honest.

Great job boys, heal up and don't back down on Friday or the rest of the way!!

By the way, the final total for hits had the Hawks up 40-36 from what I recall...when the hell is the last time the Hawks outhit another team???

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 11:47 PM
McDooRoo

I was surprised watching the Hawks hitting dudes, but they played awesome.

I can't remember the last time I seen the Hawks outhit another team lol

McDooRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 12:33 AM
hockeydoug

I really, really enjoy watching that piece of trash Konopka getting smeared. That was refreshing.

hockeydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 12:39 AM
AmericanDream
Puck You

loved it as well. the look on Konopka's face was priceless after Bickell steam rolled him.

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 07:14 AM
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!

They said during the game that there were 4 games this year where the Hawks outhit the opposition. This is the only one that I saw where it was noticeable though. Great game physically for the Hawks.

TorMenT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 07:46 AM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Bickell has turned into beast mode. Love it.

ChiGuySez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 08:00 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

why are you suprised? They don't play like this in RS when they know they will make the POs based on their talent alone

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 08:06 AM
BronYrAur

File under: who cares?

Hawks only out-hit teams 4 times this year....and had the best record in the NHL. There is no correlation between hitting and success.

Meanwhile Hawks also played one of their weaker offensive games of the year last night.....

BronYrAur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 08:28 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

and we still won... despite playing not as good as we can and Suter dominating their zone.

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 09:42 AM
stingo

Bickell played like a man possessed last night. Was great to see him lay a few hits, and one big one.

stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 10:06 AM
salty justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BronYrAur View Post
File under: who cares?

Hawks only out-hit teams 4 times this year....and had the best record in the NHL. There is no correlation between hitting and success.

Meanwhile Hawks also played one of their weaker offensive games of the year last night.....
Hitting matters more in the playoffs than the regular season because teams get worn down over the course of a series against the same opponent.

Physical teams generally do better in the playoffs because they're dishing out injuries rather than taking them. Look at every Cup winner since the lockout, they've all been vastly more physical than the Hawks have been since they won the Cup.

Last night was a refreshing surprise. They're gonna need to play like that if they want to beat LA, Disney, or St Louis.

salty justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 11:55 AM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty justice View Post
Hitting matters more in the playoffs than the regular season because teams get worn down over the course of a series against the same opponent.

Physical teams generally do better in the playoffs because they're dishing out injuries rather than taking them. Look at every Cup winner since the lockout, they've all been vastly more physical than the Hawks have been since they won the Cup.

Last night was a refreshing surprise. They're gonna need to play like that if they want to beat LA, Disney, or St Louis.
Detroit, Pittsburgh, Carolina, were not that much more physical than this current team. Hell, even 2010 Hawks weren't much more physical.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 12:28 PM
BronYrAur

Hawks supposedly werent physical enough in 2010 and look where that got them......

Old
05-01-2013, 12:29 PM
salty justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
Detroit, Pittsburgh, Carolina, were not that much more physical than this current team. Hell, even 2010 Hawks weren't much more physical.
All of those teams were vastly more physical than the 2011 and 2012 1st round exit Hawk teams. I know people think of those Pittsburgh and Detroit Cup teams as being puck possession teams that didn't fight, but both those squads had at least 1 physical forward on each line and a couple bruisers on the blueline.

I like the current squad, they are middle of the pack in terms of physicality, which may or may not be enough to win the Cup this season. Bottom line is that you don't make it far in the playoffs being the softest team like we were the past two seasons.
The past 2 seasons we relied solely on Seabrook to throw hits and it obviously wasn't enough.

I'm happy to see Bickell, Shaw, Stalberg, and Bollig all step up their physical games last night, but they have to maintain it. The additions of Rozsival and Carcillo to this year's playoffs will undoubtedly help us.

salty justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 12:34 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Hawks supposedly werent physical enough in 2010 and look where that got them......
While I agree - I thought that the Hawks really lacked a physical presence the last couple of play-off's and it really hurt them. Especially against the Canucks in 2011 when it seemed like the skilled guys (espcially Kane) were hearing footsteps and it really impacted their ability to make plays.

Anyone watch the LA/STL game on DVR last night? They were really throwing the body around!

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 12:37 PM
Sarava

Quote:
Did you miss the 2010 playoffs? The Hawks were not soft during that playoff run.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 12:43 PM
BronYrAur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
Did you miss the 2010 playoffs? The Hawks were not soft during that playoff run.
Same argument of Hawks being "too soft" has been used for the past 5 years. It has become tired and hits do not correlate with winning so it's a dreadful argument.

Old
05-01-2013, 12:53 PM
Kurtosis
Lolla Approaching

I am happy the LA/STL series looks like it is going to be a bloodbath. That just means that whatever team gets out of that series is going to be banged up and ripe for the picking (assuming Vancouver and Anaheim take care of business).

Hitting (or outhitting) your opponent isn't as important as being able to somewhat counter it and not get completely emasculated. If the Hawks put in the effort they did last night in the physical department for the remainder of the playoffs they will be in good shape.

Kurtosis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 01:03 PM
Sarava

Quote:
Same argument of Hawks being "too soft" has been used for the past 5 years. It has become tired and hits do not correlate with winning so it's a dreadful argument.
Byfuglien was a human wrecking ball in the 2010 cup run. I'm only speaking about that one year - because the Hawks haven't had anything close to that since he was traded.

Old
05-01-2013, 01:34 PM
BronYrAur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
Byfuglien was a human wrecking ball in the 2010 cup run. I'm only speaking about that one year - because the Hawks haven't had anything close to that since he was traded.
Hawks averaged 19 hits/game in regular season that year. They averaged 17.5 a game this year. Both years near the bottom of the league.

Hawks averaged more in the playoffs in 2010, you are correct. But they were still very near the bottom of the 16 teams in terms of hits/game in the playoffs.

Old
05-01-2013, 02:09 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
The Wild are not a physical team ,, It isn't really shocking the Hawks outhit the Wild in game 1

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 02:13 PM
Sarava

I think you have to be careful to not automatically assume the # of hits equals how physical a team is or isn't. Think back to when Troy Brouwer was here. He always had a lot of hits. But he rarely had big hits. And his hits were often ill-timed at the expense of defensive coverage. Then look at some of the hits the Hawks had last night from guys like Shaw and Bickell. I guarantee you the Wild players are still feeling some of those this morning... and if the Hawks keep it up, the toll will be felt more and more as this series plays on.