HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Balance and skill of Dallas Stars system evident in prospect awards

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-24-2013, 06:00 PM
  #1
HF Article
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country:
Posts: 7,808
vCash: 500
Balance and skill of Dallas Stars system evident in prospect awards

 
In the second edition of the Dallas Stars prospect awards we find a repeat winner on the blue line, another Stars prospect graduates into the NHL with a boom, and last year’s breakout prospect becomes this year’s most improved – much to the relief of Stars fans across the globe.



Most Improved: Jack Campbell, G, Texas Stars (AHL)

After a rather forgettable junior career, Jack Campbell had a lot to prove to justify the lofty draft pick the Stars invested in him. He had a slow start in his first full pro season, but once he started to get more consistent starts, Campbell shined.… read more



More...

HF Article is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 06:50 PM
  #2
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide
 
Hull Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Arlington, TX
Country: Albania
Posts: 5,804
vCash: 500
I don't know how Guptill is on a list of underachievers. Yeah he got scratched one weekend to send a message. It worked and he was by far Michigan's best player. He was good this season and has a bright future.

Names better that fit the underachiever's category are Sinitsyn, Troock, Reilly Smith and Austin Smith.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 06:55 PM
  #3
txomisc
Registered User
 
txomisc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 8,557
vCash: 500
I dont know how Jack Campbell gets most improved when Brett Ritchie exploded for 41 goals.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 07:09 PM
  #4
Rune Forumwalker
Registered User
 
Rune Forumwalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,793
vCash: 500
Needing to get scratched to send a message isn't exactly a good thing, and for Sinitsyn how badly does a 7th round pick really need to do to underacheive?

Rune Forumwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 07:34 PM
  #5
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide
 
Hull Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Arlington, TX
Country: Albania
Posts: 5,804
vCash: 500
Needing to get scratched isn't good but he didn't pout he did what was asked of him, responded and went on to have a good season.

As for Sinitsyn I have no expectations but obviously Dallas had some or they wouldn't have even bothered to draft him. Does Jokipakka get a pass because he was a 7th round pick? The guy was fantastic for his Finish team and deserves his chance in the AHL to earn an NHL job.

I also bet if you asked Sinitsyn he'd say he was disappointed at being scratched so much. 7th rounders have much lower expectations but he shouldn't get a free pass.

Personally though for me Reilly Smith should win this hands down. He was flat out meh to blah to bad at times in Dallas.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 07:39 PM
  #6
Troy McClure
Registered User
 
Troy McClure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: The KlINGberg
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 26,311
vCash: 500
A lot of nice praise for some young d-men. Man, I hope some of them break through. This team needs the help.

Troy McClure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 08:41 PM
  #7
FrailSwan
A-B-We Stole Your C
 
FrailSwan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 3,222
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
Needing to get scratched isn't good but he didn't pout he did what was asked of him, responded and went on to have a good season.

As for Sinitsyn I have no expectations but obviously Dallas had some or they wouldn't have even bothered to draft him. Does Jokipakka get a pass because he was a 7th round pick? The guy was fantastic for his Finish team and deserves his chance in the AHL to earn an NHL job.

I also bet if you asked Sinitsyn he'd say he was disappointed at being scratched so much. 7th rounders have much lower expectations but he shouldn't get a free pass.

Personally though for me Reilly Smith should win this hands down. He was flat out meh to blah to bad at times in Dallas.
I agree. It was painful watching so much "non-finish". More skill than Vincour. Still can't finish.

FrailSwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 09:15 PM
  #8
Captain Awesome
Registered User
 
Captain Awesome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Long Beach, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,034
vCash: 500
Maybe from an outside view you had a 3rd rounder who happened to break through to the NHL, him just being there was accomplishment enough.

Maybe not the hardest slapper, but surprised Ritchie didn't get a mention for hardest shot.

Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 10:12 PM
  #9
Troy McClure
Registered User
 
Troy McClure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: The KlINGberg
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 26,311
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrailSwan View Post
I agree. It was painful watching so much "non-finish". More skill than Vincour. Still can't finish.
Yeah, unlike Vincour he was able to put himself in a position to impossibly not score over and over again. There's hope that he'll start converting those chances, but a guy can only not score for so long before he's sent down and forgotten forever.

Troy McClure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 10:38 PM
  #10
Rune Forumwalker
Registered User
 
Rune Forumwalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,793
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
As for Sinitsyn I have no expectations but obviously Dallas had some or they wouldn't have even bothered to draft him. Does Jokipakka get a pass because he was a 7th round pick? The guy was fantastic for his Finish team and deserves his chance in the AHL to earn an NHL job.

I also bet if you asked Sinitsyn he'd say he was disappointed at being scratched so much. 7th rounders have much lower expectations but he shouldn't get a free pass.
Honestly, I haven't paid attention to Sinitsyn because he was a 7th round pick. If he doesn't put it together it's not that big of a deal, as how many 7th rounders do?

Now Jokipakka, on the other hand, deserves some praise for actually showing some potential that is hardly seen of players picked that late in the draft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
Yeah, unlike Vincour he was able to put himself in a position to impossibly not score over and over again. There's hope that he'll start converting those chances, but a guy can only not score for so long before he's sent down and forgotten forever.
Or he gets moved to another team for a change of scenery and another try to actually score.

Rune Forumwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 10:45 PM
  #11
Troy McClure
Registered User
 
Troy McClure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: The KlINGberg
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 26,311
vCash: 500
I hope Smith gets another shot with the Stars before getting the boot. He deserves to get a long look again next season.

Vincour was given a lot of chances over three seasons before the Stars gave up on him.

Troy McClure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 10:55 PM
  #12
aloonda
fear the rooster
 
aloonda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Texas
Country: Djibouti
Posts: 2,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
I hope Smith gets another shot with the Stars before getting the boot. He deserves to get a long look again next season.

Vincour was given a lot of chances over three seasons before the Stars gave up on him.

wondering what nill thinks of vincour trade now?

aloonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 12:04 AM
  #13
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide
 
Hull Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Arlington, TX
Country: Albania
Posts: 5,804
vCash: 500
Smith deserves a chance in Dallas again. My problem wasn't that he started with the Stars in Dallas it was that he was kept up through the whole season when it was beyond obvious that he should have been sent back down. I hope this next season he is forced to prove that he can score before he gets another chance in Dallas. There's no reason to write him off yet but I think he should have to earn his way back to the big roster.

Jokipakka is a heck of a late round find. Just as Stransky is as well. Both have done as much or even more than to put themselves on the prospect map. In comparison Sinitsyn is a disappointment. That said, in reality just getting some indication of being anything other than AHL fodder is an accomplishment and Sinitsyn is more the rule than the exception.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 12:08 AM
  #14
TrillMike
Registered User
 
TrillMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 4,897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
I dont know how Jack Campbell gets most improved when Brett Ritchie exploded for 41 goals.
First thing I thought of.

TrillMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 12:28 AM
  #15
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
 
LatvianTwist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Houston
Country: Tibet
Posts: 18,484
vCash: 500
Sinitsyn

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 12:34 AM
  #16
starsfan4ever
Registered User
 
starsfan4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Country: Sao Tome e Principe
Posts: 848
vCash: 500
Outside of Reilly not finishing he could benefit from an off-season in the weight room. That will help him win more puck battles along the boards.

starsfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 12:40 AM
  #17
Troy McClure
Registered User
 
Troy McClure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: The KlINGberg
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 26,311
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
Smith deserves a chance in Dallas again. My problem wasn't that he started with the Stars in Dallas it was that he was kept up through the whole season when it was beyond obvious that he should have been sent back down.
That's a fair point.

One thing I loved about this short season was how the team gave a lot of young guys tons of playing time and chances to show what they have. This season was essentially ten years worth of a youth movement.

But it's hard to argue that Smith had fallen into a bad rut. He might have been given too much leash.

Troy McClure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 01:38 AM
  #18
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide
 
Hull Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Arlington, TX
Country: Albania
Posts: 5,804
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
That's a fair point.

One thing I loved about this short season was how the team gave a lot of young guys tons of playing time and chances to show what they have. This season was essentially ten years worth of a youth movement.

But it's hard to argue that Smith had fallen into a bad rut. He might have been given too much leash.
I just think you might have a better indication as to whether Fraser can make it if Smith had gotten sent down say 30 games in.

They did give some youngsters a chance, Roussel, Dillon, Smith, but not others like Larsen and Fraser. It was really hit or miss at times.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 02:02 AM
  #19
Rune Forumwalker
Registered User
 
Rune Forumwalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,793
vCash: 500
To be fair Larsen was a second year player, while the rest of the names were first year players. He had the previous season to show the staff hat he could do.

Rune Forumwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 02:49 AM
  #20
eartotheground
steam powered gmjn
 
eartotheground's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Stockholm South
Country: United States
Posts: 1,440
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to eartotheground
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
I just think you might have a better indication as to whether Fraser can make it if Smith had gotten sent down say 30 games in.

They did give some youngsters a chance, Roussel, Dillon, Smith, but not others like Larsen and Fraser. It was really hit or miss at times.
i think we often overlook both practice performance, and what is gleaned from extensive video review of each game.

eartotheground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 09:26 AM
  #21
Troy McClure
Registered User
 
Troy McClure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: The KlINGberg
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 26,311
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
They did give some youngsters a chance, Roussel, Dillon, Smith, but not others like Larsen and Fraser. It was really hit or miss at times.
I don't think it was hit or miss at all.

Larsen played two thirds of the season's games (and missed time with injury). People make too much of him being scratched a few times. He played a lot this season. Not as much as Dillon, but that's because Dillon's play was much much better, with Larsen's subpar play being the only reason why he didn't get more ice time.

When you look at other youngsters, you see kids getting lots of chances. In addition to the guys you listed, Eakin was made the second line center. Both Bachman and Nistorp were given a lot of chances to stink up the joint. Jordie Benn saw a lot of time. Oleksiak was given an extended preview of the NHL. Garbutt is only a second year player, and he was given a chance to play a lot on the fourth line. Chiasson was handed a top line spot to finish the season. MacDermid would have also been given a chance to play out the season, but he also got hurt.

I just saw tons of youth get a lot more solid ice time than I've ever seen the franchise consider doing. We'll probably never see this many first and second year players on the roster at one time again.

Troy McClure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 10:14 AM
  #22
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide
 
Hull Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Arlington, TX
Country: Albania
Posts: 5,804
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
I don't think it was hit or miss at all.

Larsen played two thirds of the season's games (and missed time with injury). People make too much of him being scratched a few times. He played a lot this season. Not as much as Dillon, but that's because Dillon's play was much much better, with Larsen's subpar play being the only reason why he didn't get more ice time.

When you look at other youngsters, you see kids getting lots of chances. In addition to the guys you listed, Eakin was made the second line center. Both Bachman and Nistorp were given a lot of chances to stink up the joint. Jordie Benn saw a lot of time. Oleksiak was given an extended preview of the NHL. Garbutt is only a second year player, and he was given a chance to play a lot on the fourth line. Chiasson was handed a top line spot to finish the season. MacDermid would have also been given a chance to play out the season, but he also got hurt.

I just saw tons of youth get a lot more solid ice time than I've ever seen the franchise consider doing. We'll probably never see this many first and second year players on the roster at one time again.
We probably won't see that again unless Nill decides to completely blow up the defense this season because he sees the same flaws in Robidas, Daley, Benn, and Rome that we've been *****ing about. Also injuries played a part as did the shortened season where Dallas decided to find internal answers rather than go with a retread on the FA market on short notice.

We're not Detroit in the sense that Dallas had better options in the NHL so prospects stayed down. The Stars had bad options, worse options, and prospects so kids played in part because they earned it (Dillon, Eakin, Roussel, Chiasson,) others were injured or traded (Oleksiak, Fraser, Benn) and because Dallas wanted to see what they had in (Smith, MacDermid).

The sell off opened spots but before that Whitney, Roy, Jamie, Rome, all missed time and run with the kids kinda became a theme.

I don't expect Nill to want to do that this year but there are open spots, not a lot of great FA options and still several guys on the cusp who need to play in the NHL to learn if they do have an NHL future, either here or elsewhere.

Gaunce and Connauton won't clear waivers to go back to the AHL so they'll have to stay up and keeping them in the press box seems really counter-productive. Fraser, Chiasson, R. Smith all need to prove they belong in the NHL. Guys like Stransky, Ritchie, Glennie, Sceviour, Nemeth, Jokipakka, Oleksiak, Morrow are all going to try to earn a job. While all may benefit from some more AHL time Sceviour at this point is either sink or swim. Jokipakka has been playing against men for several years now and may not need a ton of time to learn the NHL game.

I know everyone wants some amazing quick turnaround that has the Stars establishing themselves as actual playoff team rather than a pretender but there are still serious questions about this roster and a dozen or so younger players. Trying to balance all that won't be easy nor without serious growing pains. I just hope Nill realizes that the wait three pro years before a guy can sniff the Red Wings approach just won't work here, not as the roster is currently filled.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 11:25 AM
  #23
BeaverSports
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 837
vCash: 500
Glad Shore got a mention. I said it draft day and I'll say it again now, he's the best of the bunch Dallas has in its system right now.

BeaverSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:32 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.