HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs' off-season moves (all trades, proposals & free agent talk here)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-19-2013, 01:41 PM
  #1
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,125
vCash: 500
Awards:
Habs' off-season moves (all trades, proposals & free agent talk here)

Last thread at the max, continue here.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltese View Post
Orpik is a mainstay on their blueline. Wouls had like the Habs to draft him instead of Komisarek few years ago.
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1395353

Loooots of Pens fans bashing Orpik's play this year, suggesting he should be a healthy scratch. Sounds like he's their defense version of Moen, to be honest.

Could be a good buy-low candidate...or someone we want to avoid altogether, heh.

hototogisu is offline  
Old
04-19-2013, 01:45 PM
  #2
WhiskeySeven
Keeps hot stuff hot
 
WhiskeySeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 13,897
vCash: 500
Which d-man should we target in case Emelin is behind in his recovery?

WhiskeySeven is offline  
Old
04-19-2013, 01:50 PM
  #3
Frozenice
the random dude
 
Frozenice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,305
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Which d-man should we target in case Emelin is behind in his recovery?
Ryan Murray, CBJ.

Would likely cost a fair bit (Eller + Leblanc+ Montreal 2nd) but why settle for second-rate past their prime players.

Frozenice is offline  
Old
04-19-2013, 02:09 PM
  #4
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 23,276
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
Ryan Murray, CBJ.

Would likely cost a fair bit (Eller + Leblanc+ Montreal 2nd) but why settle for second-rate past their prime players.
Ryan Murray is a top end prospect, why exactly would Columbus trade him? Makes no sense. He's not a target.

A few guys we might be able to get for cheap are Ryan Whitney and Rob Scuderi (although aging).

Kriss E is offline  
Old
04-19-2013, 02:15 PM
  #5
Habnot
 
Habnot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,496
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Ryan Murray is a top end prospect, why exactly would Columbus trade him? Makes no sense. He's not a target.

A few guys we might be able to get for cheap are Ryan Whitney and Rob Scuderi (although aging).
Seems we still don't understand MB's modus operandi. Core solutions will come from within, additions from the outside will typically be complementary.

Habnot is offline  
Old
04-19-2013, 02:17 PM
  #6
LePoche69
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 2,517
vCash: 500
  • Sacrifice a good young forward and a pick for a #1.5 - 2 d-man to do what Markov isn't able to do anymore. Then sign the new guy for 3 years.
  • Try to sign Clarkson.
  • Package something to get Jan Hejda and Bordeleau from Colorado, or any other combo of hard hitting d-man + 12-13-14th forward heavyweight who can play 4-7 minutes a game.

LePoche69 is offline  
Old
04-19-2013, 02:33 PM
  #7
Draft
Registered User
 
Draft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,975
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
Ryan Murray, CBJ.

Would likely cost a fair bit (Eller + Leblanc+ Montreal 2nd) but why settle for second-rate past their prime players.
Well. Not that I wouldn't be jazzed to get Murray, I just don't think he's the right fit at the moment. He didn't play at all this year, highly doubt he's ready for the NHL. We really need help on defence next year, seems people are pushing for a top 4 or a tough #5. Sounds ridiculous but maybe a Komisarek-Markov reunion?

Draft is offline  
Old
04-19-2013, 02:37 PM
  #8
1993
Registered User
 
1993's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Calgary
Posts: 577
vCash: 500
Okay, don't shoot me but here is what i would do where possible:

Buyout Kaberle 4.2
Trade Gionta (Columbus will need forwards) 5.0
Trade Bourque 3.3 and Desharnais 3.5(Columbus or Nashville)
Trade Moen 1.8 and White .7

Not sure why Desharnais was signed so soon but we have to make room for Galchenyuk and Eller at Center. Pleks is our best player.

Cap spacewould be approx. 23 million. New line-up:

Stalberg (FA) 2.0 Pleks Hossa 5.3 (Chicago is in big cap trouble)
Clowe (FA) 4.5 Eller Gally
Patches Galchenyuk Dupuis (FA) 3.0 (other options are Jagr,Clarkson, Fillpula)
Prust Dumont/Bournival Bickell (FA) 1.2
Nystrom (FA) 1.5

Add either Bieksa 4.6 or Doug Murray (FA) 2.5. Vancouver is in cap trouble also.

We get alot bigger and tougher but do not lose any speed.

Dare to dream.

1993 is offline  
Old
04-19-2013, 02:52 PM
  #9
shutehinside
Registered User
 
shutehinside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,571
vCash: 500
I keep saying it but ill say it again. We need a big shut down defenseman that we can throw in to close out games, play the PK and shut down the other teams top forwards and clear the crease. Fighting is a bonus but not looking for a goon, just one tough sob.

Missing Emelin has really changed the look of our defence and the team as a result. Can't have enough toughness on the back end.

Some ideas are guys like Scuderi, Stuart, Orpik etc. I don't pretend to be an NHL scout but I'd definitely want guys of that ilk to fill in the D and teach our prospects like Tinordi, Pateryn, Thrower etc to develop.

shutehinside is offline  
Old
04-19-2013, 02:53 PM
  #10
Draft
Registered User
 
Draft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,975
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LePoche69 View Post
  • Sacrifice a good young forward and a pick for a #1.5 - 2 d-man to do what Markov isn't able to do anymore. Then sign the new guy for 3 years.
  • Try to sign Clarkson.
  • Package something to get Jan Hejda and Bordeleau from Colorado, or any other combo of hard hitting d-man + 12-13-14th forward heavyweight who can play 4-7 minutes a game.
I'd posted this on the other thread before it closed. Any interest in Seabrook as a 1.5?

The Habs won't struggle under the cap this summer, unlike several teams with lots of defensive depth. From the sounds of it, Chicago fans have been quite unimpressed with Seabrook this year. Apparently he's been outperformed by Hjalmarsson, thus making Hjalmarsson a no-trade and Seabrook a possibility (to the fans at least). His contract is 5.8mil until 2016-2017. He's big, tough, offensively reliable, 27yrs old. He is one of the best defenceman in the league but, perhaps not this year from the sounds of things. What would it take to get him? Chicago needs a cheap #2 Center, likely a cheap defenceman in return and perhaps bottom 6 wingers. What can be made around the following? Is there interest for Montreal giving up real assets?

Desharnais (1mil retained) + Emelin/Diaz + xxx

or

Eller + Diaz/Emelin + xxx

or

Plekanec + xxx



For a little bit smaller deal, Boston will also struggle to stay under the cap and may leave some players unsigned. With Soderberg potentially filling his spot, any interest in Jordan Caron? Tainted goods and Boston will likely try and retain him. What would we be willing to pay? He's big, could play 4th line if needed, projects to be 3rd line ~20+20.

Kyle Beach is a risky RFA from CHI. Very poor attitude, scored 52 goals in the WHL, tough enough, pretty big. His stock has dropped considerably but may benefit from a change of scenery.


Last edited by Draft: 04-19-2013 at 02:58 PM.
Draft is offline  
Old
04-19-2013, 02:55 PM
  #11
SouthernHab
Registered User
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LePoche69 View Post
  • Sacrifice a good young forward and a pick for a #1.5 - 2 d-man to do what Markov isn't able to do anymore. Then sign the new guy for 3 years.
  • Try to sign Clarkson.
  • Package something to get Jan Hejda and Bordeleau from Colorado, or any other combo of hard hitting d-man + 12-13-14th forward heavyweight who can play 4-7 minutes a game.
Pretty much what this team needs stated clearly.

SouthernHab is offline  
Old
04-19-2013, 02:58 PM
  #12
SouthernHab
Registered User
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
I'd posted this on the other thread before it closed. Any interest in Seabrook as a 1.5?

The Habs won't struggle under the cap this summer, unlike several teams with lots of defensive depth. From the sounds of it, Chicago fans have been quite unimpressed with Seabrook this year. Apparently he's been outperformed by Hjalmarsson, thus making Hjalmarsson a no-trade and Seabrook a possibility (to the fans at least). His contract is 5.8mil until 2016-2017. He's big, tough, offensively reliable, 27yrs old. He is one of the best defenceman in the league but, perhaps not this year from the sounds of things. What would it take to get him? Chicago needs a cheap #2 Center, likely a cheap defenceman in return and perhaps bottom 6 wingers. What can be made around the following? Is there interest for Montreal giving up real assets?

Desharnais (1mil retained) + Emelin/Diaz + xxx

or

Eller + Diaz/Emelin + xxx

or

Plekanec + xxx



For a little bit smaller deal, Boston will also need to make moves to stay be under the cap. Any interest in Jordan Caron? Tainted goods and Boston will likely try and retain him. What would we be willing to pay? He's big, could play 4th line if needed, projects to be 3rd line ~20+20.

Kyle Beach is a risky RFA from CHI. Very poor attitude, scored 52 goals in the WHL, tough enough, pretty big. His stock has dropped considerably but may benefit from a change of scenery.
Would not trade Pleks. DD and or Eller would be offered up.

Bergevin needs to start shopping Gionta after the season though.

SouthernHab is offline  
Old
04-19-2013, 02:58 PM
  #13
JMMR
Registered User
 
JMMR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Kingston
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,350
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993 View Post
Okay, don't shoot me but here is what i would do where possible:

Buyout Kaberle 4.2
Trade Gionta (Columbus will need forwards) 5.0
Trade Bourque 3.3 and Desharnais 3.5(Columbus or Nashville)
Trade Moen 1.8 and White .7

Not sure why Desharnais was signed so soon but we have to make room for Galchenyuk and Eller at Center. Pleks is our best player.

Cap spacewould be approx. 23 million. New line-up:

Stalberg (FA) 2.0 Pleks Hossa 5.3 (Chicago is in big cap trouble)
Clowe (FA) 4.5 Eller Gally
Patches Galchenyuk Dupuis (FA) 3.0 (other options are Jagr,Clarkson, Fillpula)
Prust Dumont/Bournival Bickell (FA) 1.2
Nystrom (FA) 1.5

Add either Bieksa 4.6 or Doug Murray (FA) 2.5. Vancouver is in cap trouble also.

We get alot bigger and tougher but do not lose any speed.

Dare to dream.
If you add Doug Murray you lose oodles of speed.

JMMR is offline  
Old
04-19-2013, 03:04 PM
  #14
gusfring
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,238
vCash: 500
We should target Jack Johnson and Grant Clitsome. Our D needs an overhaul.

gusfring is offline  
Old
04-19-2013, 03:09 PM
  #15
Ghetto Sangria
Groupthink
 
Ghetto Sangria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,896
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gusfring View Post
We should target Jack Johnson and Grant Clitsome. Our D needs an overhaul.
Overhaul? Gorges, subban, Emelin and Diaz seem to be in the long term plans. Markov will play out his contract, and bouillon will be a 6-7th dman.

They really only need 1 addition to act as a stop gap before beaulieu, tinordi, pateryn or whoever is ready for the next step

Ghetto Sangria is offline  
Old
04-19-2013, 03:10 PM
  #16
Frozenice
the random dude
 
Frozenice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,305
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
Well. Not that I wouldn't be jazzed to get Murray, I just don't think he's the right fit at the moment. He didn't play at all this year, highly doubt he's ready for the NHL. We really need help on defence next year, seems people are pushing for a top 4 or a tough #5. Sounds ridiculous but maybe a Komisarek-Markov reunion?
I don't see why he wouldn't be NHL ready, he was the most NHL ready player (except maybe Yakupov) at the draft and a year of maturity would just be a bonus.

Bringing Murray in would mean we could leave Tinordi and Beaulieu in the minors for another season. Murray could play with Gorges or Bouillon on the 3rd pairing.

We need to chill out about next year and focus on building a really good team for the long haul and also why wouldn't Emelin be ready for next year? Knee operations are almost always successful these days and I'm sure they'll be careful not to have a Markov type of repeat.

Frozenice is offline  
Old
04-19-2013, 03:11 PM
  #17
shutehinside
Registered User
 
shutehinside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,571
vCash: 500
I'd like to see:

Markov Emelin
Shut down guy PK
Gorges Diaz
Bou Beaulieu
Tinordi

shutehinside is offline  
Old
04-19-2013, 03:11 PM
  #18
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder
 
Em Ancien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mount Real Life
Posts: 8,881
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
Overhaul? Gorges, subban, Emelin and Diaz seem to be in the long term plans. Markov will play out his contract, and bouillon will be a 6-7th dman.

They really only need 1 addition to act as a stop gap before beaulieu, tinordi, pateryn or whoever is ready for the next step
Stopgap?

We need to improve what we have, not have an older Markov playing top minutes and an older Bouillon logging regular minutes.

And by improve, I mean a top 3 guy.

Em Ancien is offline  
Old
04-19-2013, 03:12 PM
  #19
Draft
Registered User
 
Draft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,975
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Would not trade Pleks. DD and or Eller would be offered up.

Bergevin needs to start shopping Gionta after the season though.
Eller would be the most attractive for Chicago. Unless we get another center to play with Galchenyuk (not DD) in the following years coming back (Danault/Terravainen), I don't think Eller would be traded. Bournival's the closest prospect we have to Eller's skill set and I don't think he could fill the hole Eller would leave.

Draft is offline  
Old
04-19-2013, 03:14 PM
  #20
Sined
The AndroidBugler!
 
Sined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,395
vCash: 500
I hope Ian White is being targeted. Right Handed Offensive D Man

Sined is online now  
Old
04-19-2013, 03:15 PM
  #21
Ghetto Sangria
Groupthink
 
Ghetto Sangria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,896
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
Stopgap?

We need to improve what we have, not have an older Markov playing top minutes and an older Bouillon logging regular minutes.

And by improve, I mean a top 3 guy.
Well I think that Gorges, Subban, Emelin and Diaz is a good top 4. Considering the crop of UFA Defenceman this offseason, I really only see the option of a stopgap type of defenceman.

Obviously I'm always hoping for the team to improve, but getting a top 3-4 guy would be a bonus, not a necessity imo. Someone who can step up and play top 4 minutes would be nice, hense my stopgap option.

Ghetto Sangria is offline  
Old
04-19-2013, 03:18 PM
  #22
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder
 
Em Ancien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mount Real Life
Posts: 8,881
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
Well I think that Gorges, Subban, Emelin and Diaz is a good top 4. Considering the crop of UFA Defenceman this offseason, I really only see the option of a stopgap type of defenceman.

Obviously I'm always hoping for the team to improve, but getting a top 3-4 guy would be a bonus, not a necessity imo. Someone who can step up and play top 4 minutes would be nice, hense my stopgap option.
Well, that being a solid top 4 is your opinion. To me, that's not very good and we'd still be paper thin in depth. Emelin and Diaz, IMO, should not be penciled in as top 4 guys at the beginning of the season, on a competitive healthy squad.

Sadly, the UFA crop has little in terms of quality guys, so it's not through there we can bolster the D on the top end. This is where I mention again that Bouwmeester was available for a ridiculously low price.

Em Ancien is offline  
Old
04-19-2013, 03:18 PM
  #23
Frozenice
the random dude
 
Frozenice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,305
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
Eller would be the most attractive for Chicago. Unless we get another center to play with Galchenyuk (not DD) in the following years coming back (Danault/Terravainen), I don't think Eller would be traded. Bournival's the closest prospect we have to Eller's skill set and I don't think he could fill the hole Eller would leave.
What happened to Galchenyuk?

Frozenice is offline  
Old
04-19-2013, 03:22 PM
  #24
Draft
Registered User
 
Draft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,975
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
I don't see why he wouldn't be NHL ready, he was the most NHL ready player (except maybe Yakupov) at the draft and a year of maturity would just be a bonus.

Bringing Murray in would mean we could leave Tinordi and Beaulieu in the minors for another season. Murray could play with Gorges or Bouillon on the 3rd pairing.

We need to chill out about next year and focus on building a really good team for the long haul and also why wouldn't Emelin be ready for next year? Knee operations are almost always successful these days and I'm sure they'll be careful not to have a Markov type of repeat.
I only don't think he'd be ready because he was out with injury just about the entire year. He would likely be very expensive to obtain as well.

I'm definitely with you on the "build for the future" ideals. The team isn't built to steadily compete for another 2-3 years, maybe less if good players are brought in during the offseason after this one. People seem really caught up in this years success, we're still in only year one of the rebuild! If it means we can have an awesome team in 2-3 years I am very happy with sticking to the rebuilding plan.

If we can trade Plekanec now and get a huge return (Younger #1-2 dman), why not? We'll likely be bad next year but be dominant for the next 5.

Draft is offline  
Old
04-19-2013, 03:23 PM
  #25
Draft
Registered User
 
Draft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,975
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
What happened to Galchenyuk?
He Who Must Not Be Named in any trade discussions?

Draft is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:16 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.