HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mark Scheifele sent back to Barrie Colts (OHL)

Old
01-24-2013, 02:19 PM
Huffer

vCash: 1090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Chuck View Post
LOL, you guys are pretty convincing on all sides!

"Mark needs more development time.... send him down, we're in no hurry" Yes!!!

"Mark is doing fine here and can benefit from better coaching and experience" Yes!!!
I agree. Either way I can really see the positives.

Like bhay1987 said, either way we have to have faith that TN makes the right call.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 02:23 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Pavlovian Response

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveRaven View Post
It's really too bad we can't send him to the A that's where he belongs IMHO.
That I can definitely agree with - there's not much left for him to prove in the OHL (other than perhaps lead Barrie to a championship), but the A would give him a VERY good introduction to playing with other players that are closer to the NHL.

YWGinYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 02:26 PM
Howard Chuck
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romang67 View Post
Hey, where have you been?

I'm hilarious.
Obviously you are! You got an actual LOL out of me!!!

Howard Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 02:48 PM
SCP Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
That I can definitely agree with - there's not much left for him to prove in the OHL (other than perhaps lead Barrie to a championship), but the A would give him a VERY good introduction to playing with other players that are closer to the NHL.
He can spend the year on the Rock next year.....Then when Oli is done he can center our 2nd line in 2015

SCP Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 03:00 PM
Waldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
I hate that argument.

Not playing on the 2nd line doesn't mean he hasn't been given a fair a chance. He does and should have to beat out Antropov, Little and Burmi for that roster spot. Coach shouldn't give Scheifele a spot centering the 2nd line if he is clearly (to the coaches and teammates) worse suited for that role than 3 of his teammates.
I just listened to media scrum with Noel at Illegal Curve where he feels that top six minutes "need to be earned" so 3rd and 4th line minutes is all he's going to get. Nonetheless, I still want him to stay in the NHL. I still feel he will gain more playing 8-10 minutes here than 20 minutes in the OHL.

Waldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 06:24 PM
HannuJ

vCash: 148
no, you learn from making mistakes (which come with playing time) and someone showing you video of your mistakes.
you try to curb the mistakes and if you make the mistake again, you are shown video again and again until those habits stop.

at the NHL level, you repeat those mistakes and your ice time is cut.

HannuJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 07:14 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP Guy View Post
He can spend the year on the Rock next year.....Then when Oli is done he can center our 2nd line in 2015
This seems like a logical plan but their are way too many variables that can happen before now and then. Even assuming Scheif gets sent back to Barrie this year. Maybe he lights up the OHL, leads the Colts to a Memorial cup and shows up at camp 10 LBS heavier and is ready to compete for a top 6 position, or God forbid after his Junior career and a year in the AHL he is no further ahead and he spends his career as a bottom 6er. How about Olli finds his groove in Winnipeg, and after 2 years at age 36 he is still a valuable member of the team at a good price. How about we don't make the playoffs and win the draft lottery and pick Mackinnon, now we have a new projected #1 C who may be ready at 18. Their could be trades, free agent signings etc.

So much can happen over 2 years, nothing is guaranteed in this league.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 07:23 PM
Hansen Brother

I don't have any problem with him getting bottom six minutes. Couturier did last year and he seems to be doing ok.

Sheif isn't one of those all skill guys who needs to be scoring or he doesn't bring anything. He's doing pretty decent in the faceoff dot so far (not taking very many but when he does). He has decent upper body strength so he can tangle on the boards fairly well as long as he doesn't lose his balance. He has good defence.

The only thing you have to worry about is the challange and change of role discouraging him. I personally don't think he would be. He's a hard worker and seems to have a good attitude.

I personally think the challange of the NHL is better for him now than rolling over almost everyone in the OHL.

Hansen Brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 07:38 PM
ps241
Hero of CantonKiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansen Brother View Post
I don't have any problem with him getting bottom six minutes. Couturier did last year and he seems to be doing ok.

Sheif isn't one of those all skill guys who needs to be scoring or he doesn't bring anything. He's doing pretty decent in the faceoff dot so far (not taking very many but when he does). He has decent upper body strength so he can tangle on the boards fairly well as long as he doesn't lose his balance. He has good defence.

The only thing you have to worry about is the challange and change of role discouraging him. I personally don't think he would be. He's a hard worker and seems to have a good attitude.

I personally think the challange of the NHL is better for him now than rolling over almost everyone in the OHL.
I agree with this post. I think a guy like Sam Gagner should be top 6 or nothing but Mark is a big kid and although he is working on balance he can compete and he can slot into the bottom defensive first roll. As long as he is learning and growing and helping the team I am fine with him being in the bottom six and working his way up if Chevy deems that as the best path.

Last edited by ps241: 01-24-2013 at 09:14 PM.
ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 08:26 PM
lablite47

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post
This seems like a logical plan but their are way too many variables that can happen before now and then. Even assuming Scheif gets sent back to Barrie this year. Maybe he lights up the OHL, leads the Colts to a Memorial cup and shows up at camp 10 LBS heavier and is ready to compete for a top 6 position, or God forbid after his Junior career and a year in the AHL he is no further ahead and he spends his career as a bottom 6er. How about Olli finds his groove in Winnipeg, and after 2 years at age 36 he is still a valuable member of the team at a good price. How about we don't make the playoffs and win the draft lottery and pick Mackinnon, now we have a new projected #1 C who may be ready at 18. Their could be trades, free agent signings etc.

So much can happen over 2 years, nothing is guaranteed in this league.
Not sure what the problems are with any of the above scenarios? Seems all positive from an organisation and business perspective... The players made it abundantly clear that hockey is a business during this lockout! Nothing to do with doing what's morally right for the owners, the players or for the fans for that matter. It's not all about player development, unfortunately. I hope Oli does find his groove (as a fan) and that we get Mackinnon! Sceifele will get his time. It's not as if he is in pergatory while he is burning up the leagues and where it is all too obvious that he is ready for the show and we as fans are being jolted from seeing the next Wayne Gretsky. He might even get hungrier for the opportunity and develop his balance and refine his skills alot quicker. From a business perspective the best thing to do is send him back to the minors until next year. This mgmt group unfortunately inherited a hockey team with no bonifide prospects and must take time to build that component. Our team is descent at the moment, all things considered, and keeping Scheif in the minors for one more year - bottom line, would save them a year in the eventual entry level contract and possibly allow them to get a higher draft for at least one more year which will hopefully help in gettting some real prospects to work with. It is the time, during this honeymoon period, for the organisation to take advantage of these circumstances and talke one for the future so to speak! The fans will not cry out too loadly this year or even next if we don't make the playoffs. After that however, I'm no so sure... actually I know the fans will become alot more demanding. Take this time to build and plan for years of playoff hockey! There's only 45 games left after all. Why rush him? As quoted above, for the life of me I cannot see anything in the scenarios stated above that would make or break the season or spells disaster by any means.

lablite47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 08:29 PM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
Keep him up, let him take his bumps.

bigplay41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 09:04 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by lablite47 View Post
Not sure what the problems are with any of the above scenarios? Seems all positive from an organisation and business perspective... The players made it abundantly clear that hockey is a business during this lockout! Nothing to do with doing what's morally right for the owners, the players or for the fans for that matter. It's not all about player development, unfortunately. I hope Oli does find his groove (as a fan) and that we get Mackinnon! Sceifele will get his time. It's not as if he is in pergatory while he is burning up the leagues and where it is all too obvious that he is ready for the show and we as fans are being jolted from seeing the next Wayne Gretsky. He might even get hungrier for the opportunity and develop his balance and refine his skills alot quicker. From a business perspective the best thing to do is send him back to the minors until next year. This mgmt group unfortunately inherited a hockey team with no bonifide prospects and must take time to build that component. Our team is descent at the moment, all things considered, and keeping Scheif in the minors for one more year - bottom line, would save them a year in the eventual entry level contract and possibly allow them to get a higher draft for at least one more year which will hopefully help in gettting some real prospects to work with. It is the time, during this honeymoon period, for the organisation to take advantage of these circumstances and talke one for the future so to speak! The fans will not cry out too loadly this year or even next if we don't make the playoffs. After that however, I'm no so sure... actually I know the fans will become alot more demanding. Take this time to build and plan for years of playoff hockey! There's only 45 games left after all. Why rush him? As quoted above, for the life of me I cannot see anything in the scenarios stated above that would make or break the season or spells disaster by any means.
My point was more along the lines is that there is no way to plan for what might happen 2 years down the line, especially with prospects. At any given time decisions have to made in the here and now, not what we hope happens in 2 years. The good thing is that the Jets aren't forced to make long term decisions on Scheifele. Just in the here and now does he deserve to make the team this season by what he can contribute, or lets send him back to junior and see where he is next training camp.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:03 AM
knorthern knight

Some time ago, I said that Wellwood's signing this season sealed Schiefele's fate. I still feel that way. We have Antropov, Burmistrov, Gagnon, Jokinen, Little, Slater, Wellwood, and Wright available at centre. No way do I believe he is currently number 3 or higher against that crowd. If Schiefele had been this good last season, he might've made the team. This season's team is a definitely improved, and harder to make.

What doesn't help is the lack of exhibition games. You do NOT want to risk losing regular season games any time, let alone in a shortened season, to try out a prospect.

Antropov (age 32) and Wellwood (age 29) are UFAs after this season. Jokinen (age 34) is UFA the 2013-2014 season. Next season Antropov and Wellwood are expendable, and a slot opens up for Schiefele.

knorthern knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 03:07 AM
Oil and Avs

Speaking as an Oilers fan who has seen a fair share of special players and how oilers management has handled them, I think the Jets should put him back in the minors. As mentioned on the board he doesnt have a fit in the top six. Giving him third line minutes with lower calibre players would not do him justice. Its bad timing, the jets cant afford to waste games seeing what works with him. In this short season he cant have a spot on the team.

Oil and Avs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 06:05 AM
kurpitsa

vCash: 571
Scheifele playing on third line against penguins.. loving it!

kurpitsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 06:24 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Scheifele's already worked his way up from the 4th line to the 3rd line.

If he works his way up from the 3rd line to the 2nd line by game 5 (which I think he will..it's no coincidence Little has moved back to RW when he didn't play there at all last season), I think he'll stay up for the year.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 06:37 AM
TO JetFan

In Barrie he would only get 20 games remaining in their season, plus playoffs, playing against kids as young as 16.

With 45 games remaining in the NHL season (plus playoffs?) their is no question in my mind what is best for his long term development.

TO JetFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 07:32 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurpitsa View Post
Scheifele playing on third line against penguins.. loving it!
Brian Munz said Wellwood was playing along side Burmi and Poni in Thursday's practice. He also suggested Scheifele nay not dress.

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 07:36 AM
DespoticNewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
Brian Munz said Wellwood was playing along side Burmi and Poni in Thursday's practice. He also suggested Scheifele nay not dress.
If Scheifele's scratched, then we know what is going down.

DespoticNewt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 08:22 AM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Pavlovian Response

Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
If Scheifele's scratched, then we know what is going down.
I'm not so sure about that: if they scratch him, I'd be surprised if they don't also announce that they're sending him back to Barrie immediately. If the scratch him, and don't send him back down, that doesn't futher his development at all.

Ah, the intrigue.

Old
01-25-2013, 08:40 AM
DespoticNewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
I'm not so sure about that: if they scratch him, I'd be surprised if they don't also announce that they're sending him back to Barrie immediately. If the scratch him, and don't send him back down, that doesn't futher his development at all.

Ah, the intrigue.
Ah, yes. They have 5 games, correct? Not necessarily consecutive games.

DespoticNewt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 08:43 AM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Pavlovian Response

Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
Ah, yes. They have 5 games, correct? Not necessarily consecutive games.
Yes: they COULD keep him up here for the whole season but only play him in 5 games, and still not burn a year of his ELC. There's no way in heck they'd do that. Will be interesting to see what they're going to do...

Old
01-25-2013, 10:46 AM
Flair Hay

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil and Avs View Post
Speaking as an Oilers fan who has seen a fair share of special players and how oilers management has handled them, I think the Jets should put him back in the minors. As mentioned on the board he doesnt have a fit in the top six. Giving him third line minutes with lower calibre players would not do him justice. Its bad timing, the jets cant afford to waste games seeing what works with him. In this short season he cant have a spot on the team.
Thanks for the input. Heck of a win for you guys last night.

Flair Hay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:49 AM
Howard Chuck
HFBoards Sponsor

Maybe Noel sees the need for a different matchup against the Pens ( for the sake of points), but keeps Mark for the Isles and after.

Howard Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:55 PM
JetsHomer

He might just be tired. 4 games in 6 nights is a lot. Plus the World Juniors is quite a few games in a short amount of time.

JetsHomer is offline   Reply With Quote