HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mark Scheifele sent back to Barrie Colts (OHL)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-23-2013, 09:56 AM
  #176
Arcticcat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 21
vCash: 500
The last two games Ive noticed him more picking himself of the ice then skating.... I think he needs one or to more years to bulk up, so he can take a check, and not fall as often as he does....

Arcticcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:57 AM
  #177
Conflicted Habs fan
Grind Grind Grind
 
Conflicted Habs fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Montreal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 2,605
vCash: 50
Nature vs Nurture

The Jets had already stated that they have adopted a development strategy for their draft picks. The management select players with character first, talent second. And they have all been picked with the intention to develop them into specific roles over several years of training.
Sheiffele's going to the juniors for another year.

Conflicted Habs fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:58 AM
  #178
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar
 
Grind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 6,149
vCash: 500
While i certainly wouldn't say the books written i'm getting concerned he'll be sent down. he's playing well but without getting any tallies in the boxcar i'm not sure they keep him up.

Right now he could go either way, but at this point, I don't know if he's really bringing a lot more to that bottom 6 then Kyle Wellwood would.

He's really on the border IMO, but that being said, a couple points or some dominant shifts in these next two games and he probably stays. If it's more of the same, i don't know. He has looked good, and he's getting chances, but if the actual production doesn't come i don't know if they'll keep him up or not. Really tough to say, I wouldn't mind having him up at all as he's looked good and certainly not been a liability, but I also think the case could be made that he goes back down.

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:45 AM
  #179
ps241
Playoff push 2017
 
ps241's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 19,899
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
While i certainly wouldn't say the books written i'm getting concerned he'll be sent down. he's playing well but without getting any tallies in the boxcar i'm not sure they keep him up.

Right now he could go either way, but at this point, I don't know if he's really bringing a lot more to that bottom 6 then Kyle Wellwood would.

He's really on the border IMO, but that being said, a couple points or some dominant shifts in these next two games and he probably stays. If it's more of the same, i don't know. He has looked good, and he's getting chances, but if the actual production doesn't come i don't know if they'll keep him up or not. Really tough to say, I wouldn't mind having him up at all as he's looked good and certainly not been a liability, but I also think the case could be made that he goes back down.
Yea Grind Mark is stuck in no manís land.

I honestly think he has learned all he needs to in juniors and he is definitely not hurting the Jets up to this point either. So what is best for his development at this point???? flip a coin.

I guess we should keep in mind that Jokinen and Little have yet to register a point either and they have both had quality minutes but I do agree with your overall viewpoint.

I know it doesn't make sense (and isn't possible) but it would be great if we could put Schief on the top line (or 2nd line) of the Ice Caps for the balance of the season. Itís almost like that would be the perfect next step to get him ready for the Jets next year.

letís see how the next two games go............I think a goal or sweet assist might do wonders for his confidence.

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:48 AM
  #180
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar
 
Grind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 6,149
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Yea Grind Mark is stuck in no manís land.

I honestly think he has learned all he needs to in juniors and he is definitely not hurting the Jets up to this point either. So what is best for his development at this point???? flip a coin.

I guess we should keep in mind that Jokinen and Little have yet to register a point either and they have both had quality minutes but I do agree with your overall viewpoint.

I know it doesn't make sense (and isn't possible) but it would be great if we could put Schief on the top line (or 2nd line) of the Ice Caps for the balance of the season. Itís almost like that would be the perfect next step to get him ready for the Jets next year.

letís see how the next two games go............I think a goal or sweet assist might do wonders for his confidence.
I agree. I also feel if he gets 1 point, he's going to get two. Just feels like with the chances he's been creating once it starts its going to go.

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:05 AM
  #181
truck
HFB Partner
 
truck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 9,544
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Yea Grind Mark is stuck in no manís land.

I honestly think he has learned all he needs to in juniors and he is definitely not hurting the Jets up to this point either. So what is best for his development at this point???? flip a coin.

I guess we should keep in mind that Jokinen and Little have yet to register a point either and they have both had quality minutes but I do agree with your overall viewpoint.

I know it doesn't make sense (and isn't possible) but it would be great if we could put Schief on the top line (or 2nd line) of the Ice Caps for the balance of the season. Itís almost like that would be the perfect next step to get him ready for the Jets next year.

letís see how the next two games go............I think a goal or sweet assist might do wonders for his confidence.
The fact that he's put 5 shots on net in very limited ice time is a good sign.

He hasn't looked bad in his own zone either.

If they can keep him up, it makes the Jets a better team, especially if there are injuries. I can still see a case for sending him down though. The decision should come back to whatever Chevy thinks is best for his development. I guess we will find out.

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:41 AM
  #182
razorsedge
West Town Sports
 
razorsedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Fort Sask, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,066
vCash: 50
Keep him up. The little mistakes he's made can be corrected under the Jets coaching staff.

razorsedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:48 AM
  #183
truck
HFB Partner
 
truck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 9,544
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorsedge View Post
Keep him up. The little mistakes he's made can be corrected under the Jets coaching staff.
Less than 9:00 per game doesn't worry you?

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:10 PM
  #184
JetsHomer
Registered User
 
JetsHomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 7,575
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
Less than 9:00 per game doesn't worry you?
Last evaluation game is on January 29th against Montreal.

If its purely a minutes game if he goes back to Barrie he'll have 19 regular season games and playoffs.

In the NHL he'll get 43 games and maybe playoffs. How many minutes does he play a game in Barrie?

Maybe he'll be better off with the Jets training staff where they can specifically shelter him and get him valuable NHL experience. Especially if he'll get comparable minutes.

JetsHomer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:13 PM
  #185
truck
HFB Partner
 
truck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 9,544
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
Last evaluation game is on January 29th against Montreal.

If its purely a minutes game if he goes back to Barrie he'll have 19 regular season games and playoffs.

In the NHL he'll get 43 games and maybe playoffs. How many minutes does he play a game in Barrie?

Maybe he'll be better off with the Jets training staff where they can specifically shelter him and get him valuable NHL experience. Especially if he'll get comparable minutes.
If he is going back, his last game will in all likelihood be on the 27th vs NYI (I will be there). If he dresses for a 6th game, he is here for good.

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:15 PM
  #186
JetsHomer
Registered User
 
JetsHomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 7,575
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
If he is going back, his last game will in all likelihood be on the 27th vs NYI (I will be there). If he dresses for a 6th game, he is here for good.
My bad. Missed that one. In that case he'll likely make the Barrie game on the 30th so he'll have 20 regular season games.

JetsHomer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:15 PM
  #187
YWGinYYZ
Mod Supervisor
 
YWGinYYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,532
vCash: 50
Scheifele gets 20+ minutes per night in Barrie, with 1st PP time, and PK time.

I'm still of the opinion that he can learn more with the Jets in a sheltered role, with less time. I'm taking into account the improved coaching and off ice regiments and facilities available to him, plus the possibility of gaining additional time when inevitable injuries occur.

Complete guess on my part, but I get the feeling they're going to keep him up here.

YWGinYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:23 PM
  #188
Jesus Christ Horburn
Registered User
 
Jesus Christ Horburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: Ireland
Posts: 13,942
vCash: 500
I would keep him up if he can play on the 2nd line between Ladd and Little.

If keeping him up means 3rd line duties with Poni and Burmi, I'd rather send him back down.

Jesus Christ Horburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:26 PM
  #189
Gil Fisher
Registered User
 
Gil Fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,004
vCash: 500
I have no issue with breaking him into the league slowly in limited minutes and broadening his role as he gets comfortable with the pace and physicality of the game at this level. I have no confidence that this is management's plan though.

Gil Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:33 PM
  #190
HannuJ
Registered User
 
HannuJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Toronno
Posts: 4,266
vCash: 50
he's not staying.
can't compare his start to that of guaranteed contract players like Olli or Wheeler.
either he came/comes out of the gate flying and sticks with the team, or plays below a stellar level and goes down.

seeing him snow-angeling on the ice every shift is disheartening. he looked helpless versus the Bruins.

let him go to the minors or juniors. get him to put on some mass and work on his core strength.

next year, he'll have 15 NHL regular season games under his belt before training camp. i'd be very disappointed if he didn't stick next year

HannuJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:07 PM
  #191
surixon
Registered User
 
surixon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogistewart View Post
he's not staying.
can't compare his start to that of guaranteed contract players like Olli or Wheeler.
either he came/comes out of the gate flying and sticks with the team, or plays below a stellar level and goes down.

seeing him snow-angeling on the ice every shift is disheartening. he looked helpless versus the Bruins.

let him go to the minors or juniors. get him to put on some mass and work on his core strength.

next year, he'll have 15 NHL regular season games under his belt before training camp. i'd be very disappointed if he didn't stick next year
I do' t know what games your watching but he hasn't looked helpless in any of them.

I don't know if he stays or goes but I'm looking to see if he's back up to 11-12 minutes of ice at home in the next two games. His lack of minutes in the road could just be Noel heavily sheltering him and since he can't dictate match ups on the road he's playing less. He can more easily put Mark out against soft opposition at home so look for him to see more minutes on Friday. If not he probably should go back. I'm not a fan of the 8-10 mi utws a night ease the player in strategy. He needs 12-14 a night with PHP time to develop IMO.

surixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:52 PM
  #192
ghost88*
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 340
vCash: 500
Put me in the "he's getting sent down" camp.

ghost88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 02:36 PM
  #193
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant
 
Gump Hasek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: 222 Tudor Terrace
Posts: 10,167
vCash: 500
Hey, it seems as if a few people here can't wait to pronounce this kid as not ready. Scheifele's footwork has been fine the past 2 games and it appears that he is gaining confidence by the day. Nothing he has done has cost the team whatsoever. The Jets as a group in fact just grabbed 3 out of 4 available points on the road and Scheif was a part of that group. Let's just wait and see how this plays out.

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 03:27 PM
  #194
HannuJ
Registered User
 
HannuJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Toronno
Posts: 4,266
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon View Post
I do' t know what games your watching but he hasn't looked helpless in any of them.
you miss the parts where he was falling almost every time there was contact?

HannuJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 03:55 PM
  #195
Sweech
Alles zu seiner Zeit
 
Sweech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,764
vCash: 5585
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogistewart View Post
you miss the parts where he was falling almost every time there was contact?
I think you missed the part where he wasn't...

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 04:25 PM
  #196
razorsedge
West Town Sports
 
razorsedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Fort Sask, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,066
vCash: 50
You don't get better by playing against easy competition. He'll improve and mature faster by staying with the Jets instead of spinning his wheels in Barrie.

razorsedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 05:39 PM
  #197
HannuJ
Registered User
 
HannuJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Toronno
Posts: 4,266
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
I think you missed the part where he wasn't...
you're absolutely right. i did miss the part where he wasn't falling and only tuned in when he fell upon the slightest of body contact.

HannuJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 05:52 PM
  #198
Tintin's Ghost
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Saskatoon
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,129
vCash: 500
Arguing on the side of sending Scheifele back down does not make one a Scheifele-hater. It may just mean that he is being mis-used by the coach if he just plays on a line with Slats and Thor. If he's NHL ready, he's gotta be top 6. I don't think he benefits from playing only 8 minutes a game.

Guys like Macenauer and Machacek can grind with Slater and Thorburn just as good as Mark and not sufer from only doing 8 mins a night. Very few guys can do what Scheif can do in the o-zone, we need him top 6 if he's NHL ready. Chevy didn't draft him to play on the 4h line so I hope he is not misused there. For that reason he may be better served to go back to Barrie.

Tintin's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 06:16 PM
  #199
Sweech
Alles zu seiner Zeit
 
Sweech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,764
vCash: 5585
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogistewart View Post
you're absolutely right. i did miss the part where he wasn't falling and only tuned in when he fell upon the slightest of body contact.
I thought that may have been the case. I'm glad you can admit it.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 06:26 PM
  #200
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant
 
Gump Hasek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: 222 Tudor Terrace
Posts: 10,167
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tintin's Ghost View Post
Arguing on the side of sending Scheifele back down does not make one a Scheifele-hater. It may just mean that he is being mis-used by the coach if he just plays on a line with Slats and Thor. If he's NHL ready, he's gotta be top 6. I don't think he benefits from playing only 8 minutes a game.

Guys like Macenauer and Machacek can grind with Slater and Thorburn just as good as Mark and not sufer from only doing 8 mins a night. Very few guys can do what Scheif can do in the o-zone, we need him top 6 if he's NHL ready. Chevy didn't draft him to play on the 4h line so I hope he is not misused there. For that reason he may be better served to go back to Barrie.
If, as you claim, he is being misused by the coach, that is not at all any justification for sending him down. It isn't a case of top 6 or bust either though some here have certainly tried to frame it that way. BTW, last night he played on the third line and for all we know the plan is to bring him along slowly. He isn't better served by playing against teenagers his age and younger back in Barrie when he is accounting well enough for himself right now at the NHL level. If strength is an issue, then send him to the gym daily with Stumpy after practice. He can likely gain more now from being pushed by men, which might be why they've started him where they have.

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:26 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2017 All Rights Reserved.