HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mark Scheifele sent back to Barrie Colts (OHL)

Old
01-23-2013, 06:41 PM
Zhamnov10

vCash: 500
I originally was on board with sending him back,but the more I watch him play the more I think he should stay yes he falls a lot but confidence is a big factor he is still playing a little scared but the more he plays up here the more comfortable he will get he is doing all of the little things right.As stated before injuries are going to happen which will give him more ice time in different situations.I think he is one of those players who it takes more time to adapt maybe explaining why it took him a while to crack major junior.Plus I really feel with him gone and an injury in our top happens we have absolutely no one in our system to properly that hole.please don't suggest Mahachek is adequate.

Zhamnov10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 07:01 PM
Tintin's Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
If, as you claim, he is being misused by the coach, that is not at all any justification for sending him down. It isn't a case of top 6 or bust either though some here have certainly tried to frame it that way. BTW, last night he played on the third line and for all we know the plan is to bring him along slowly. He isn't better served by playing against teenagers his age and younger back in Barrie when he is accounting well enough for himself right now at the NHL level. If strength is an issue, then send him to the gym daily with Stumpy after practice. He can likely gain more now from being pushed by men, which might be why they've started him where they have.
For sure I hope this is the plan for Scheifele if he stays up. It's been suggested often on these boards that if he stays in Winnipeg he's better served by being closer to the resources he needs (as you mentioned above) and it makes a lot of sense.

I think he is in a better position to succeed in a top 6 role because I just don't see why he belongs on the 4th line, that's not his skill set. I think it's misusing him to keep him in that role. Top 9 is better but I feel he should be top 6 if he stays. I'm not implying Noel's an idiot. They played great last night on the 2nd of a back-to-back on the road so coaching deserves a lot of props. I'm more than happy to be proven wrong if starting out grinding is what best serves Scheifele.

If he does go back to Barrie it's not as though he is spinning his wheels. The Colts are poised to may a big push in the playoffs and could be contenders for the Mem Cup, with Scheifele back on that roster they could hold their own against the Knights. That's valuable experience even if not on the Jets roster.

Tintin's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 07:04 PM
JetsHomer

vCash: 50
I have a feeling he'll get around 11 minutes again like the first game in his next two. Noel being at home can really control his line matchups.

JetsHomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 07:14 PM
lablite47

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogistewart View Post

seeing him snow-angeling on the ice every shift is disheartening. he looked helpless versus the Bruins.

let him go to the minors or juniors. get him to put on some mass and work on his core strength.

next year, he'll have 15 NHL regular season games under his belt before training camp. i'd be very disappointed if he didn't stick next year
Agreed 100% No need to rush him for all the diference he'll make. Let's use up our older guys contracts and then bring him in along with Trouba and hopefully another top notch 2013 draft pick in a year or 2 and really make a difference. Why bother barely getting into playoffs and losing out on a higher pick at this early stage and honeymoon of the frqnchise? Let's be patient and give mgmt a chance to mould their own team making due with the odd free agent and waver claim while preserving contract years on the next generation?

lablite47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:56 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1250
Quote:
Originally Posted by lablite47 View Post
Agreed 100% No need to rush him for all the diference he'll make. Let's use up our older guys contracts and then bring him in along with Trouba and hopefully another top notch 2013 draft pick in a year or 2 and really make a difference.
They aren't rushing him; if he makes the team then he deserves to be there. The Jets are better served to be staggering their rookies into the lineup versus loading them into the lineup at the same time. Look at Edmonton right now as a guide for that pitfall.

Quote:
Why bother barely getting into playoffs and losing out on a higher pick at this early stage and honeymoon of the frqnchise? Let's be patient and give mgmt a chance to mould their own team making due with the odd free agent and waver claim while preserving contract years on the next generation?
They are molding their own team, including if he makes the team BTW. It seems you are almost somewhat concerned they might earn a playoff spot with him in the lineup; if you want them to tread water this year then I'm glad you aren't in charge. The contract argument is a red herring as well. They can sign him for as long as they wish eventually.

It isn't rushing him if he deserves to be there. Too many people here seem to take the reflex argument that they should send him back by default - versus allowing it play out and having him make the team if management feels his play merits it, IMO.

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:04 PM
razorsedge
West Town Sports

Make the playoffs and anything can happen. If Scheifele can help with that, than all the more reason to keep him up.

razorsedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:09 PM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
Quote:
They aren't rushing him; if he makes the team then he deserves to be there. The Jets are better served to be staggering their rookies into the lineup versus loading them into the lineup at the same time. Look at Edmonton right now as a guide for that pitfall.

They are molding their own team, including if he makes the team BTW. It seems you are almost somewhat concerned they might earn a playoff spot with him in the lineup; if you want them to tread water this year then I'm glad you aren't in charge. The contract argument is a red herring as well. They can sign him for as long as they wish eventually.

It isn't rushing him if he deserves to be there. Too many people here seem to take the reflex argument that they should send him back by default - versus allowing it play out and having him make the team if management feels his play merits it, IMO.
Agreed.

Another possible factor:
-They may want him to play with vets like Antropov, Poni and Welly who may not be back next year.

There will be a ton of thought put into this decision. There may be a number of factors that nobody here has considered. He will make the team or he won't. Neither is wrong.

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:17 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
Agreed.

Another possible factor:
-They may want him to play with vets like Antropov, Poni and Welly who may not be back next year.

There will be a ton of thought put into this decision. There may be a number of factors that nobody here has considered. He will make the team or he won't. Neither is wrong.
Well said truck.

My personal 'hope' is he sticks around for the season and continues to learn and develop and his game evolves at the NHL level. I think he'll be a very effective player once he figures it out and gets a bit stronger. He'll get more confidence as he goes along, and will be a more effective player. If Jets coaches and management feel he's overwhelmed - like last year - then he'll be sent back. If they feel he can handle it and his confidence is growing, i think he'll stick.

Bob E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:31 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
Well said truck.

My personal 'hope' is he sticks around for the season and continues to learn and develop and his game evolves at the NHL level. I think he'll be a very effective player once he figures it out and gets a bit stronger. He'll get more confidence as he goes along, and will be a more effective player. If Jets coaches and management feel he's overwhelmed - like last year - then he'll be sent back. If they feel he can handle it and his confidence is growing, i think he'll stick.
I would personally (selfishly) like to watch him develop here. I also think he makes the team better through his versatility, but I also understand their reasons to send him back and I think that is what will happen.

Old
01-23-2013, 11:43 PM
darksociety

Haven't been paying too much attention, but am I wrong for liking the jump he gives the fourth line? I think it's a perfect fit for him currently.

darksociety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:45 PM
wilty00

vCash: 1004
I think the one thing that alot of people are discounting is the team performance; if we're winning alot of games, having Scheif around in that kind of atmosphere and being apart of a team that can win at this level will go a long ways in speeding up his NHL transformation.

I would imagine at this point the coaching staff feels that this team has a shot to get in and potentially do some damage if we do. Even if he's not getting alot of minutes if the guy can continue to fit in and not look out of place I could see why the staff might keep him up... like everyone else said, injuries and other circumstances happen and if we can build him up to that over the course of the shortened season I don't see why we wouldn't atleast give it a shot.

wilty00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:49 PM
Flair Hay

vCash: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by lablite47 View Post
Agreed 100% No need to rush him for all the diference he'll make. Let's use up our older guys contracts and then bring him in along with Trouba and hopefully another top notch 2013 draft pick in a year or 2 and really make a difference. Why bother barely getting into playoffs and losing out on a higher pick at this early stage and honeymoon of the frqnchise? Let's be patient and give mgmt a chance to mould their own team making due with the odd free agent and waver claim while preserving contract years on the next generation?
I'm all for keeping him if he is going to have a somewhat defined role on the team. Nothing has shown me though that Noel trusts him to play anything more than 3rd line minutes in a close game. That troubles me.

It's Noel's job to win games.unless they have indications that Scheifele is going to improve enough for that to change, he'll be back in Barrie.

IMO Burmistrov is a more reliable player, and he can do everything Scheifele can as far as shuffling to different lines and positions.

Should be interesting.

Flair Hay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:17 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Brian Munz just said Scheif may not dress vs Pit.

If that is the case, he is probably all but gonzo.

Old
01-24-2013, 11:19 AM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Alien Hockey Wizard

vCash: 200
Quote:

Glass half full: if they don't immediately send him down, they're losing playing time that he could be spending in Barrie. If they sit him and don't send him down, I think they may be considering keeping him up for the complete season.

Glass half empty: yes, they are probably considering sending him back down.

One thing I'm looking forward to: their decision one way or the other.

YWGinYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:23 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 574
Quote:

Have to agree. I asusme Wellwood is back in? The only way he's staying is if they're using it as another game to evaluate Wright? And then make a decision between keeping wright or keeping Scheifleigh?

Is the rule 5 games dressed for before they have to decide or 5 games on the roster?

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:25 AM
GermanJetsFan
*PEW* *PEW* *PEW*

Dressed AFAIK

GermanJetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:27 AM
Zhamnov5GoalGame

Quote:
The contract argument is a red herring as well. They can sign him for as long as they wish eventually.
I disagree that the contract situation isn't the top factor in the decision making. Letting him play this year ends his entry contract a year earlier. Yes we can re-sign him but hopefully he does well over his time and we would have to pay him a pretty healthy raise. Scheifele at 22 will be much better than he is this year. I'd rather have the 22 year old Mark still on the entry level contract at that point. Kane is signed long term but most of our players need to be re-signed fairly soon. Having a potential #1 center on a entry level deal still would go a long way to icing a very competitive team.

Zhamnov5GoalGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:30 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Interesting. The writing may be on the wall here then.

01-24-2013, 11:36 AM
Howard Chuck
HFBoards Sponsor

LOL, you guys are pretty convincing on all sides!

"Mark needs more development time.... send him down, we're in no hurry" Yes!!!

"Mark is doing fine here and can benefit from better coaching and experience" Yes!!!

Howard Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:44 AM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Interesting. The writing may be on the wall here then.
Or they're following the Seguin model. Who really knows at this point. I'd be surprised if they didnt give him all 5 games though, its not like he's struggled out there.

surixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:55 AM
Flair Hay

vCash: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Chuck View Post
LOL, you guys are pretty convincing on all sides!

"Mark needs more development time.... send him down, we're in no hurry" Yes!!!

"Mark is doing fine here and can benefit from better coaching and experience" Yes!!!
It's funny but it's true. There's a decent argument for both sides. We just get to have faith TN makes the right call for 2-5 years down the road.

Flair Hay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 12:12 PM
Waldo

I'd like to see him play his natural position on the second line against the Isles on Sunday. How can you send him down without giving him a chance to show his stuff?

Until now, though, he has played well in the roles he was given. He has not shown himself to be a liability and has adapted well playing an unfamiliar position. There are going to be injuries and he can be useful filling in and has the potential to be develop into a good playmaker (of which we don't have) as the season wears on. What could be better for his development than pushing for a playoff spot in the NHL and even playing NHL playoff games. The question should be is he more usefull to this team than Mittens, Wright, and Poluso?

I'd also like to see Poluso dressed sometime soon so we can evaluate him as well.

Waldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 12:24 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo View Post
I'd like to see him play his natural position on the second line against the Isles on Sunday. How can you send him down without giving him a chance to show his stuff?

Until now, though, he has played well in the roles he was given. He has not shown himself to be a liability and has adapted well playing an unfamiliar position. There are going to be injuries and he can be useful filling in and has the potential to be develop into a good playmaker (of which we don't have) as the season wears on. What could be better for his development than pushing for a playoff spot in the NHL and even playing NHL playoff games. The question should be is he more usefull to this team than Mittens, Wright, and Poluso?

I'd also like to see Poluso dressed sometime soon so we can evaluate him as well.
I hate that argument.

Not playing on the 2nd line doesn't mean he hasn't been given a fair a chance. He does and should have to beat out Antropov, Little and Burmi for that roster spot. Coach shouldn't give Scheifele a spot centering the 2nd line if he is clearly (to the coaches and teammates) worse suited for that role than 3 of his teammates.

Old
01-24-2013, 12:26 PM
Romang67
BitterSwede

vCash: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo View Post

Hey, where have you been?

I'm hilarious.

Romang67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 12:45 PM
WaveRaven

It's really too bad we can't send him to the A that's where he belongs IMHO.

WaveRaven is offline   Reply With Quote