HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

NHL Game Center

Old
07-19-2012, 12:14 AM
Riverboat Danglers

vCash: 500
NHL Game Center

Hey guys Ive been thinking hard about buying NHL game center this year for my PS3. I currently live in Calgary and we have basic cable so we get sportsnet, cbc and tsn. I was wondering if the Blackout rule would affect me when sportsnet shows some games. Sometimes when the Flames and Oilers play on the regular sportsnet west it shows the Flames game and you have to go to sportsnet HD to get the Oilers game. Would that come into play with the Blackout rule? I pretty much just want the chance to be able to watch every Oilers game that Im home for. Is it a good investment or am I gonna be spending money and end up missing out on certain games?

Also for the people that have purchased or used it hows the streaming quality? I know a lot of sites to stream from but sometimes they are horrible. I would like a consistent quality where I know what Im getting everyday.

Riverboat Danglers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 12:18 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Can't tell you about the blackout as I'm in BC, but I can comment on the streaming. Even with a very fast connection its somewhat spotty. It's better on computer as you can turn it down from full HD

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 12:20 AM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

No they host all of the hockey networks on the NHL channels. No need to worry about any blackouts. I used this in B.C. To watch Oil games.Every team has its own network and Gamecenter hosts all of the games. Only exception is whether it's available in HD or not.

Grod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 12:39 AM
frag2

If you are in Alberta, you will get blacked out of Oil/Flames games.

frag2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 01:43 AM
Oil Gauge

Well it will only be blacked out if it is available to you on tv. So you will be able to watch every game either on TV or on game center.

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 03:46 AM
oilwings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Gauge View Post
Well it will only be blacked out if it is available to you on tv. So you will be able to watch every game either on TV or on game center.
Since he's in Alberta, all Oilers and Flames games are blacked out on Game Centre.

oilwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 03:51 AM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilwings View Post
Since he's in Alberta, all Oilers and Flames games are blacked out on Game Centre.
Than why weren't Nucks game blacked out in Van while I was there?

Old
07-19-2012, 07:29 AM
bucks_oil

Ive been a subscriber for 3 years, but I live in Boston.

Just to echo:
* you WILL be blacked out if it is available in your TV subscriber area.
* It tracks based on IP, so if you access through a computer and are creative, you can tunnel to a non-blacked out IP, but your internet speed may suffer
* it works great on AppleTV (consistent), but when your internet speed is very high, best on computer.
* Keep in mind ALL of the playoffs with possible exception of round one will be blacked out since they are on CBC (or in my case, on NBCSN)

I love and hate this product. I don't have TV anymore, just Netflix and AppleTV, so I love the idea of streaming sports and I'm happy to pay for it. I like that I pay NHL directly for their copyrighted material and pay my telecom only for data.... this is how it should be. I HATE, HATE, HATE that the cable companies' licenses to NHL's copyrights still trump my purchased rights (thus blackouts). It forces we consumers to pay a middle man who will only sell us those copyrights if we ALSO pay for a whole lot of other copyrights (evening news, reality TV, other BS) that we don't want to watch.

To me this is WRONG... and we're an internet generation. We forced the music industry to sell us individual songs for $0.99. I would love us to (continue) forcing the TV industry to sell us individual programming, but until these blackout issues are gone, the TV co's still have us by the short and curlies.

haha... who's with me?! Write to NHL.com!!

bucks_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 12:41 PM
oilfaninvan

I've read a few times that Game Centre on the PS3 is spotty, but is that over Wi-fi? It should be less spotty if you plug wired into your modem.

I'm debating between the apple tv and ps3 but I'd probably still plug either in to get maximum connection.

oilfaninvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 05:18 PM
bucks_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfaninvan View Post
I've read a few times that Game Centre on the PS3 is spotty, but is that over Wi-fi? It should be less spotty if you plug wired into your modem.

I'm debating between the apple tv and ps3 but I'd probably still plug either in to get maximum connection.
AppleTV is very smooth and usually full HD over WiFi... mind you I have a $79/month internet only package.

Old
07-19-2012, 05:42 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks_oil View Post
AppleTV is very smooth and usually full HD over WiFi... mind you I have a $79/month internet only package.
What's it like watching regular daily tv programming? You get access to the same channels as you would with Telus or Bell?

Old
07-19-2012, 05:44 PM
CornKicker
Locked Out

vCash: 50
if you live in calgary there is no need for game centre, every game is available via tsn, cbc or sportsnet. I did not miss a game last year.

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 06:54 PM
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

vCash: 203
I live near winnipeg but am an oilers fan first, so when the jets are playing on the same night as oilers against a different team will the oiler game be blacked out to me since the jets game is available on cable(say its on cbc or tsn not tsn jets)?

oilers2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 08:37 PM
Riverboat Danglers

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
if you live in calgary there is no need for game centre, every game is available via tsn, cbc or sportsnet. I did not miss a game last year.
I was the same last year but that is when you have a good cable package. If you have a hi def cable package either through shaw or telus then your able to watch every game pretty much. I wont be paying for that because Im content with paying $10 per month for basic cable. There are a lot of Oilers games that are only on sportsnet Hi Def or sportsnet Oilers since they will predominantly show Flames games on the local sportsnet station in Calgary. Im still partially leaning towards it, but Im not sure. I would like to see every Oilers game as well as just watch hockey games regardning my fantasy hockey when I have a night off.

To the blackout comments- It said on the NHL website that they only blackout the TSN, CBC broadcasts in Canada. Im assuming that if a game is on sportsnet it would still be available on Game center. Am I wrong?

Riverboat Danglers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 09:14 PM
bucks_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverboat Danglers View Post

To the blackout comments- It said on the NHL website that they only blackout the TSN, CBC broadcasts in Canada. Im assuming that if a game is on sportsnet it would still be available on Game center. Am I wrong?
I live in Boston and previously in Ottawa. Oilers were never on sports net in my region so I can't say for sure, but bruins games are blocked out on NESN.

The basic concept is this... If there is a tv station that has paid for the rights, and is showing the game in your region, it trumps all. The tv station wins and those of us paying for online rights are screwed (even if, as in my case, I don't have cable tv or satellite).

So I would guess that if sportsnet regional is playing the game in your area, then you won't get to see it online.

That said... I) if the game is NOT being played in your region, but Centerice made a mistake, it is 5mins of phone call and a computer/appletv/modem restart to get the game back on. And ii) if CBC is showing the jets in Winnipeg, a concurrent oil game should not be blacked out unless NHL Centerice made a mistake (see I above). The rules are the same if you subscribe to the cable version of Centerice. (eg if you paid for te package but didn't pay for tsn, you will be blacked out if tsn is covering a game)

As for someone's Q's about regular tv on appletv, it is full 720p resolution. But you are downloading the episode/movie as you want it, and it may take a few minutes of buffering before it is ready to play. It is a great service for those who have a few shows they like to watch, not for channel-surfing. Adding Netflix ($8/month) provides tonnes of access to older movies and past seasons of shows, but for current content, expect to pay about $2 per episode on iTunes (the library for appletv)

Essentially appletv is just an "iTunes" set top box that can also access the content stored on your pc/Mac

Old
07-20-2012, 10:36 PM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilwings View Post
Only if they are available on TV. If it isn't available on TV for him, then it will be on game center. Although if you are in Alberta you should be able to get all Oil/Flames games on TV I believe. So essentially we are both right.

Old
07-20-2012, 11:16 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

So if I don't have cable, there is no legal way for me to watch Oilers games. Is that correct?

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 11:42 PM
Jeff Lebowski

I had gamecenter live on the PS3 2 years ago and I would not recommend it unless they've got some of the bugs out of it. I'm in BC, so I didn't have to worry about black outs, but I did have playback issues with the PS3. Sometimes it would not let me start the game if it was already in progress and I would have to wait until the game was over to start watching it. Other times it would jump back to the start of the game while I was watching it. The issues appear to be with Sony, as the NHL told me that they only provide the feed and that any issues I had were with Sony. Sony was no help at all. Quality wise, the picture was HD quality as long as there wasn't much movement (which is not very good for a hockey game). The puck movement was not smooth at all (it was kind of stuttery). I would definitely give the Apple product a try. I'm sure that it would be much better then Sony. Last season I bought cable with the center ice package so that I could watch the Oilers, but I have no use for cable otherwise. If the Apple product works well, I might give that a try next season.

Jeff Lebowski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 11:43 PM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
So if I don't have cable, there is no legal way for me to watch Oilers games. Is that correct?
You can watch them on CBC.ca for the ones broadcast by CBC, you can also download cbc's smartphone app and pay something like $10 for the season and you can watch all of CBC's nhl broadcasts on your phone. Sometimes TSN does live streams of their games on their websites as well.

You could go to a local pub/bar and watch there, most restaurants/pubs will show the Oilers games in Edmonton.

Old
07-21-2012, 09:51 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Gauge View Post
You can watch them on CBC.ca for the ones broadcast by CBC, you can also download cbc's smartphone app and pay something like $10 for the season and you can watch all of CBC's nhl broadcasts on your phone. Sometimes TSN does live streams of their games on their websites as well.

You could go to a local pub/bar and watch there, most restaurants/pubs will show the Oilers games in Edmonton.
Thanks - hows the streaming with CBC and TSN?

I guess I'd probably watch on my iPad if possible.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 11:00 AM
doulos

I bought GameCenter last year and will never do it again. While the quality was wonderful there were so many games blacked out that I wanted to watch that it was not worth it financially - and I don't live in Alberta. Anything that was on TSN or CBC was blacked out because I was "supposed" to be able to watch it, even though I don't even have cable.

I've heard very good things about hockeystreams.com as a much better alternative and this year I am going to give them a try and see if it is much better.

I found on tons of nights I was forced to hope that TSN was streaming the game or to find "alternative" solutions to watch games.

Also, most of the playoffs will be blacked out because CBC is playing them all, so you don't even get that. The only advantage to GameCenter is if you want to watch a lot of older games, maybe for research purposes etc (or for tracking advanced stats for example)

doulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 02:24 PM
oilfaninvan

Sounds like I'll be trying the Apple TV route.

Does anyone use NHLGC on a smart TV? Some TVs have the app built right in.

oilfaninvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 03:00 PM
bucks_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Thanks - hows the streaming with CBC and TSN?

I guess I'd probably watch on my iPad if possible.
CBC streaming is not bad ... You need to be in Canada though. You could also just get an hd antenna if you have a newer tv with an hd tuner. That will be an amazing picture.

Another online option is hockeystreams.com. The quality is very good when it works, but it isn't 100 percent reliable... It works most the time though and is worth the money since there are no blackouts. I like to think it is legal, but have my doubts. Since you are paying, you could certainly assume they've paid for the copyrights. I use it as a backup to my NHL subscription.

But if you are computer savvy, you could buy access to a proxy server for $5/month or use a free proxy server and then use your paid subscription to NHL gamecenter. There might be an app you could download for your iPad that would accomplish the same (giving you an ip address outside the blackout region). That's legalish, since you have paid for the copyrights.

Old
07-21-2012, 03:03 PM
bucks_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos View Post
I bought GameCenter last year and will never do it again. While the quality was wonderful there were so many games blacked out that I wanted to watch that it was not worth it financially - and I don't live in Alberta. Anything that was on TSN or CBC was blacked out because I was "supposed" to be able to watch it, even though I don't even have cable.

I've heard very good things about hockeystreams.com as a much better alternative and this year I am going to give them a try and see if it is much better.

I found on tons of nights I was forced to hope that TSN was streaming the game or to find "alternative" solutions to watch games.

Also, most of the playoffs will be blacked out because CBC is playing them all, so you don't even get that. The only advantage to GameCenter is if you want to watch a lot of older games, maybe for research purposes etc (or for tracking advanced stats for example)
I can recommend hockeystreams with a few caveats ( last post). The quality is almost as good as GC. Plus you get commercials, and intermissions which is nice for me as Canadian living in the us.

Old
07-21-2012, 03:19 PM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks_oil View Post
CBC streaming is not bad ... You need to be in Canada though. You could also just get an hd antenna if you have a newer tv with an hd tuner. That will be an amazing picture.

Another online option is hockeystreams.com. The quality is very good when it works, but it isn't 100 percent reliable... It works most the time though and is worth the money since there are no blackouts. I like to think it is legal, but have my doubts. Since you are paying, you could certainly assume they've paid for the copyrights. I use it as a backup to my NHL subscription.

But if you are computer savvy, you could buy access to a proxy server for $5/month or use a free proxy server and then use your paid subscription to NHL gamecenter. There might be an app you could download for your iPad that would accomplish the same (giving you an ip address outside the blackout region). That's legalish, since you have paid for the copyrights.
Hockeystreams and rerouting your IP are definitely illegal.