HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The optimism thread

Old
06-04-2013, 02:57 PM
Pancakes

vCash: 500
The optimism thread

Well I did this once before during the Islanders series and we ended up winning that one.

- We own the Bruins in their barn

- Fleury sucked in relief, so Vokoun is probably starting

- We have had no luck at all yet.

- Seriously, one goal in two games? That's not going to happen again with this team. We're too good offensively to go the whole series this way.

- Pride. This team can be fragile emotionally for sure but I genuinely think they're too proud to go out this way. They will show up and compete the rest of the way. Will it be enough? Who knows. But they will show up. These past two games are not what we'll see the rest of the series.

- Lineup changes. Bylsma hinted they're coming. Last time Disco made big changes they sparked the team, and I believe if he makes the *right* ones (big if I know) there is the potential for a big spark again.

Don't come into this thread to *****, there's plenty of other threads for that, one even which was started by me.

Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 03:03 PM
Waffle Fries

I like it. I hope you're right about the goaltending.

If we win tomorrow, we're right back in this, there's way too much doom and gloom around here.

The stars won't be held pointless 3 games in a row, they just won't.

Waffle Fries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 03:05 PM
wgknestrick

closed.

My optimism is that the pain will end in 2 more games.

wgknestrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 03:06 PM
Krudus

We will probably be crushed by the bruins, cause they are the better team. But that will only mean good things in the off season. Dan Pigma will get fired, team will be rebuilt, and a exciting fresh start for next season!

Krudus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 03:07 PM
bambamcam4ever

It won't get worse.

bambamcam4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 03:07 PM
Pigs On The Wing

It can't go anywhere but up from game 2.

Pigs On The Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 03:08 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

I reckon we'll win Game 3. Lose Game 4. Win Games 5 & 6 and then Game 7 will be a toss-up.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 03:08 PM
Mordax
It don't Maatta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krudus View Post
We will probably be crushed by the bruins, cause they are the better team. But that will only mean good things in the off season. Dan Pigma will get fired, team will be rebuilt, and a exciting fresh start for next season!
Interesting approach to "optimism"...

'Aint over till it's over.

Go Pens

Mordax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 03:11 PM
cheesedanish87

There are to many HOF and all stars in that locker room, if they go down its not gonna be like last night, there gonna play a great game 3.

cheesedanish87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 03:12 PM
vabm8
Injured Reserve

- It looks like Fleury played himself out of starting again
- Better ice awaits
- The offense can only go up from here
- Changes will be made, there's a chance of them being good
- I'm desensitized and yesterday I figured out how to backup my browser
- It can't get much worse
- The players meeting might have actually resulted in something good
- Road games are good for this team and that might let them get things sorted out in that environment
- It's not over yet

vabm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 03:16 PM
Waffle Fries

Mario went down to the locker room after the game yesterday.

The last time he did that was Game 4 in the Isles series, and we won the next four games after that (5,6,1,2)

So we should do that again.

Waffle Fries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 03:16 PM
wgknestrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabm8 View Post
- It looks like Fleury played himself out of starting again
- Better ice awaits
- The offense can only go up from here
- Changes will be made, there's a chance of them being good
- I'm desensitized and yesterday I figured out how to backup my browser
- It can't get much worse
- The players meeting might have actually resulted in something good
- Road games are good for this team and that might let them get things sorted out in that environment
- It's not over yet
"Player's meeting" was to figure out the dates for their golf outing in South Carolina.

wgknestrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 03:18 PM
Flat Stanley

The Pens know they have to be better. They have come back from 0-2 deficits before (even though those 3rd and 4th games were at home, they're professionals).

The team has heart, we'll see how they respond game 3.

Flat Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 03:24 PM
vabm8
Injured Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgknestrick View Post
"Player's meeting" was to figure out the dates for their golf outing in South Carolina.
Some might say that that's a good thing ....
Optimism thread, I should end that with a smile

I'm going to make the choice to believe that someone ***** slapped someone else and then yelled about the game.

vabm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Definition View Post
It can't go anywhere but up from game 2.
Exactly... even a well played loss is better than that beat down. Anything is better.

There's just no way the Pens role over and die. Leave the glitz and glam at home and play text book road hockey.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 03:32 PM
Grandma Bingo

One of two things is going to happen, and both of them are good:

1) The Pens will come back to win this series

Or

2) Dan Bylsma will be fired and Fleury will be released

One of those two things is guaranteed to happen, so that is cause for optimism.

Grandma Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 03:36 PM
Sidgeni Malkby

I'm not pessimistic....
I still think DB needs to go, in the offseason of course. Our team has the mood swings of a teenage girl.

This game?
lol...I have memories of the Flyers still haunting me...and the memories of the Canadiens as well...ugh .

That being said...
I expect them to man up and win game 3, and set the seed of doubt in the Bruins heads.

A bounce here and there is all it takes .

Sidgeni Malkby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 03:43 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandma Bingo View Post
One of two things is going to happen, and both of them are good:

1) The Pens will come back to win this series

Or

2) Dan Bylsma will be fired and Fleury will be released

One of those two things is guaranteed to happen, so that is cause for optimism.
I just... don't know about this. Specifically regarding point number two, there.

I think there's a very good chance Disco is retained, regardless of how this plays out. And that's something we should absolutely be ready for.

But this is the optimism thread. So I'll lay off.

BlindWillyMcHurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 03:46 PM
CordPara

1. Fleury is out. If he played a somewhat decent mop up role he would be starting. He was right back to allowing goals at THE WORST TIME and allowing unscreened, untipped 25 to 40 foot shots to go in. Brutal, but at least we won't waste a game with him in there.

2. Venue change. It's human nature and I think Boston MAY not be as careful and precise at home.

3. Complacency from the B's. It's human nature to start thinking it's easy. I'm not even say they will do it consciously....but things have been SO EASY for them so far that you have to think they may take it for granted. The Pens would be this way too if things had gone as easy for them.....almost like game 1 vs game 2 against the Isles.

4. Sheer odds. The odds that Crosby, Malkin, Iginla, Neal, Kunitz, Dupuis, Letang are ALL quiet for 3 GAMES IN A ROW are staggering. The Bruins are good but we are not talking about the 76 Habs here.

5. It's happened before. The Bruins have blown 2-0 leads. They blew a 3-0 lead RECENTLY. It's in their minds.

6. Desperation. The Pens will be playing desperate from now on. The Bruins won't be simply because it's hard and they don't HAVE TO.

CordPara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 04:00 PM
Superstar Shane

I honestly expect the move to Boston to benefit us more than it does the Bruins. Good chance our faceoffs will get a little bit worse, but other than that I think it either doesn't make any difference or benefits us:

- Ice will hopefully be better: this probably benefits our game more than theirs.
- Boston will theoretically be able to match lines easier, but this won't make much difference since Bylsma gave Julien whatever matchups he wanted anyway.
- A road-style game is probably the type of game we need to play.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if this ends up being one of those series where the road team wins the first 6 games, and then game 7 ends up being a toss-up.

I also (and this probably falls more into the realm of wishful thinking than bona fide belief) would like to hope that the hits we're putting on the Bruins might start having an effect. Shockingly enough, we've been hitting them hard and often, and conventional wisdom suggests that this is going to starting taking its toll on the Bruins pretty soon.

Superstar Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 04:14 PM
rocky7
Run 'n' Gun

vCash: 581
who really knows for sure? imo it won't matter who starts in net, there are many variables that can play out. they may just get swept or they may come back and win. both quite amazing. one thing i feel i can say with a fair bit of certainty is that win or lose, dan bylsma will no longer be the hc of the penguins. to me, the players have had it with him. that is the best thing in the end for this team moving forward imo.

rocky7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 04:15 PM
GaryT

I think we'll win the series still.

Bruins we're real lucky in the first game with all the goal post saves, so DB went with the same game plan. Since that didn't work this time I think we'll see some adjustments like in the Islanders series, better defensive play, puck management, and better passes. Boston is no where near as good as the Islanders on offense, if they tighten everything up, that will take away from what little offense the Bruins have.

last game the passes were horrible, a lot of forced passes, which resulted in turnovers that generated offense for the Bruins.

GaryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 05:54 PM
Fleury3434

The "positive" thread

I just have to say a few things about some people in our fan base...this is ridiculous how some of you are acting. WE ARE ONLY DOWN 2-0! Not 3-0; not 3-1...its only two games...IF (and i know thats a huge if but still) the pens win tomorrow...its a series again...all we need is one win. Im the first one to agree that things are looking grim, but sometimes you gotta experience heartbreak so that you can appreciate the good.

I know its easy to lose all hope and go crazy when it seems like its over...but it is NOT OVER.

We have to win the next 2 games...do you know how many times the pens won 2 games in a row during the regular season? A LOT. Do you know how many times we have beat boston in boston recently? THE LAST 6 TIMES.

Boston is known for letting the foot off the pedal (see the flyers coming back from 3-0) (see the toronto series from this year).

Its not over. you have to win 4 games to win a series (NOT 2, NOT 3, 4) this is no time to get down and get upset and feel sorry for our team. We are a great team; so tomorrow, wake up, put on the pens jersey, say a little prayer before you leave the house even, chug a beer for the team, and Lets Go Pens!!! A positive attitude can do wonders sometimes for real

Fleury3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 06:48 PM
SidGenoMario

Wait, the Penguins are a great team?

SidGenoMario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 08:13 PM
Lim Ran

Tomorrow is the whole series.

Going down 2-0 was bad. Very bad.

The effort was shameful. Giving up was shameful. Fleury letting in that goal at the end of the first should rightfully end his career in Pittsburgh (sorry MAF, I think you're a cool person and can be a very good goalie much of the time, but we can't keep having this **** in the playoffs - the team does not deal with it well). Giving up, even when he did, was shameful.

In all honesty, this team needs a damn good sports psychologist on staff.

However, they were only the worse team in one of the two games. It's completely possible they come out and win tomorrow night and make this a series.

Yes, they pretty much have to win two in a row or else it's all over - but why does one bad game mean they can't do that? They've been incredible all season. Two in a row against Boston, who they beat all season, isn't such a tall order that we all need to jump out of windows.

Bylsma will have them ready. The leaders in the room will have done their thing. I heard even Mario came down after the game.

If they can't win tomorrow night in the face of adversity, they weren't Cup contenders in the first place. The Bruins are a unique challenge, sure, but each round brings its own challenges and a championship team needs to overcome them all.

Bylsma understands the situation. The line combos won't be stupid, we'll bring a lineup that's speed oriented, and Vokoun will be in net.

LGP.

Lim Ran is offline   Reply With Quote