HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Long-term roster-building discussion (Full contract chart in post #1)

Closed Thread

Old
02-25-2013, 09:26 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

vCash: 500
Priority Sign: Dupuis, Bort

Sign if there's room based on deadline acquisitions / FA acquisitions: Cooke, Jeffrey (RFA but still... probably don't want to go to arbitration)

Trade / Walk: Kennedy

Old
02-25-2013, 05:06 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Let all UFAs go, including RFA Tyler Kennedy (we won't qualify him). Qualify all other RFA's. Go all out for Corey Perry, but this time figure out a plan B, plan C and plan D. My plan B would be Jarome Iginla, my plan C would be Ryane Clowe AND a mid-range winger for the third line, and my plan D would be a trade with Toronto involving Phil Kessel.

Old
02-25-2013, 05:15 PM
Hottubber

Trade: Kennedy, Jeffery

Resign: Dupuis, Bortuzzo

Let Cooke go

Bring back Adams if he wants a 1 year league min deal . Most people wont like it, but Id be more than fine with Adams as a 12/13th forward. Nothing more

Old
02-25-2013, 05:33 PM
Sideline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Let all UFAs go, including RFA Tyler Kennedy (we won't qualify him). Qualify all other RFA's. Go all out for Corey Perry, but this time figure out a plan B, plan C and plan D. My plan B would be Jarome Iginla, my plan C would be Ryane Clowe AND a mid-range winger for the third line, and my plan D would be a trade with Toronto involving Phil Kessel.
My plan A is Nathan Horton. He wont break the bank, but he can bring everything James Neal does with a right hand shot.

Old
02-25-2013, 05:42 PM
Muscles4Malkin
Top-6 Beau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideline View Post
My plan A is Nathan Horton. He wont break the bank, but he can bring everything James Neal does with a right hand shot.
Yes, I agree. I think he would get the same salary also.

Old
02-25-2013, 05:56 PM
JTG

Not sure I want to take a shot with another pudding head.

Old
02-25-2013, 06:04 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

It would weaken the Bruins a bit, so that's not a bad thing.

Old
02-25-2013, 09:13 PM
drizzydrew22*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVP View Post
Next year:

Bennett - Crosby - XXXX
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Cooke/Dupuis - Sutter - Kennedy
Glass - Vitale -

How much room do we really have for one more top 6 UFA? I was messing around in Capgeek and it doesn't seem like all that much, maybe 4M?
good lineup uprfront so far i wouldnt have kennedy in there i would keep cooke on the 3rd line LW and move dupuis to the third line RW since he plays RW with crosby already resign adams to a one year deal and you have a lot of room for lets say perry or iginla

Old
02-25-2013, 11:10 PM
PensFan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottubber View Post
Trade: Kennedy, Jeffery

Resign: Dupuis, Bortuzzo

Let Cooke go

Bring back Adams if he wants a 1 year league min deal . Most people wont like it, but Id be more than fine with Adams as a 12/13th forward. Nothing more
I agree with all this. TK/DJ aren't fitting in here, so make a move. Dupuis is good with Sid, and would be a great 3rd liner. Bort is going to be the type of dman we need when Orpik moves on.

As for Cooke, I'd let him go too (if we could get a physical replacement). He seems too scared to play his game now. He doesn't want to be that dirty player (which I'm good with), but he just doesn't seem to have the same game as he did.

Old
03-03-2013, 02:06 PM
Flat Stanley

When Malkin comes off IR, we will need to clear a roster spot. Who gets sent down?

Bennett and Despres are the only players who don't have to clear waivers. Both are playing good hockey and they deserve to stay.

Is Boychuk the odd man out? If we waive him, he goes back to Carolina.

Old
03-03-2013, 02:09 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
When Malkin comes off IR, we will need to clear a roster spot. Who gets sent down?

Bennett and Despres are the only players who don't have to clear waivers. Both are playing good hockey and they deserve to stay.

Probably Boychuk would go unless Shero has a trade lined up to move someone else but I doubt it.

Old
03-03-2013, 02:17 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:

I'd drop Boychuk for sure

Old
03-03-2013, 04:00 PM
WarriorScholar

I'd re-sign Dupuis and Cooke. Would love to see Cooke on our 4th line for two years.

Old
03-03-2013, 04:32 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:

I have a feeling Bennett is going back down. It's STUPID, of course, but look at his ice time. Disco doesn't trust him. He's not a grinding journeyman. He has a brain. He's not on the same page as Disco.

Also, Boychuk only lands back in Carolina (and then their AHL affiliate) if a) Carolina claims him again (likely) and b) no other NHL team puts in a claim (not a given). If someone does, he heads there (and again must stay in the NHL, or else the process starts all over again).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyTwoTimes View Post
I'd re-sign Dupuis and Cooke. Would love to see Cooke on our 4th line for two years.
We simply can't afford paying Cooke whatever money he'll get to play on the fourth. And Disco will never demote a guy like Cooke to the fourth line. He's on the second unit, after all.

As for Dupuis, let him sign a rich deal somewhere else, so we no longer have this Dupuis dilemma (first line, third line, etc.) anymore.

Old
03-03-2013, 04:40 PM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
I have a feeling Bennett is going back down. It's STUPID, of course, but look at his ice time. Disco doesn't trust him. He's not a grinding journeyman. He has a brain. He's not on the same page as Disco.

Also, Boychuk only lands back in Carolina (and then their AHL affiliate) if a) Carolina claims him again (likely) and b) no other NHL team puts in a claim (not a given). If someone does, he heads there (and again must stay in the NHL, or else the process starts all over again).
Nah, I doubt Bennett gets sent down, he's producing. He's surprised me with his physical play though, he's been delivering some good hits.

As for Boychuk, if we put him on waivers, Carolina is claiming him and putting him in Charlotte, no doubt in my mind.

Quote:
We simply can't afford paying Cooke whatever money he'll get to play on the fourth. And Disco will never demote a guy like Cooke to the fourth line. He's on the second unit, after all.

As for Dupuis, let him sign a rich deal somewhere else, so we no longer have this Dupuis dilemma (first line, third line, etc.) anymore
Cooke is an awesome 3rd liner, good defensively and a solid PKer. He got $1.8M a year his last contract extension, I can see him making the same or less.

I would re-sign Dupuis also, give him a raise. You may think it's a dilemma, but Dupuis is a guy that can play LW or RW, and play on any line in any situation, not necessarily a dilemma. More or less an advantage. He's good on Sid's wing, and he would solidify our 3rd line. How about we don't bring back Kennedy and push hard for a winger for Crosby (whether it's this season or the summer). Bring back Cooke and Dupuis for the 3rd line, have Bennett be Malkin's LW, have Kunitz on Crosby's LW with a new addition on the RW.

Old
03-03-2013, 04:58 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Cooke is an awesome 3rd liner, good defensively and a solid PKer. He got $1.8M a year his last contract extension, I can see him making the same or less.

I would re-sign Dupuis also, give him a raise. You may think it's a dilemma, but Dupuis is a guy that can play LW or RW, and play on any line in any situation, not necessarily a dilemma. More or less an advantage. He's good on Sid's wing, and he would solidify our 3rd line. How about we don't bring back Kennedy and push hard for a winger for Crosby (whether it's this season or the summer). Bring back Cooke and Dupuis for the 3rd line, have Bennett be Malkin's LW, have Kunitz on Crosby's LW with a new addition on the RW.
Who's coaching?

Old
03-03-2013, 04:59 PM
WarriorScholar

Quote:
Who's coaching?
Babcock. Wings fans want him fired after today.

Old
03-03-2013, 05:09 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyTwoTimes View Post
Babcock. Wings fans want him fired after today.
Wings fire Babcock. Shero fires Bylsma. Shero hires Babcock. Babcock hires Byslma as his assistant. they roll out these lines.

Adams-Crosby-Dupuis
Glass-Malkin-Neal

Babcock might be the only person who loves seeing grinders play with stars more than Byslma. still he'd be amazing here.

Old
03-03-2013, 05:33 PM
WarriorScholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafton View Post
Wings fire Babcock. Shero fires Bylsma. Shero hires Babcock. Babcock hires Byslma as his assistant. they roll out these lines.

Adams-Crosby-Dupuis
Glass-Malkin-Neal

Babcock might be the only person who loves seeing grinders play with stars more than Byslma. still he'd be amazing here.
I just want him because we'd be even more of an arrogant organization.

Old
03-04-2013, 12:07 AM
thecore

What about this trade?

Curtis Glencross and Jay Boumeester for

Brooks Orpik, TK, Maata and a second rounder.

Old
03-04-2013, 12:33 AM
Malkinstheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecore View Post
What about this trade?

Curtis Glencross and Jay Boumeester for

Brooks Orpik, TK, Maata and a second rounder.
Now way. Why would be need boumeester... Plus we wouldd be adding around 3 million in cap without uprading much..

Old
03-04-2013, 03:20 AM
Silas Robertson
Hey, all in. Jack.

This is what I hope Shero does this off-season:

1) Fire Bylsma
Love the guy, but clearly his system in the D Zone just isn't cutting it anymore. Let's search for a guy that will play a system better suited for our players.

2)Trades
-Brooks Orpik for a good F prospect or 1st/2nd rounder this year
-TK and Boychuk can either walk or be dealt if anyone is willing to give us a late pick for them.

3)Buyouts
Tanner Glass, Tomas Vokoun

4)Re-sign RFAs
PlayerCap Hit
Dustin Jeffrey$650,000
Robert Bortuzzo$575,000

5)Re-sign UFAs
PlayerCap Hit
Pascal Dupuis$2,000,000
Matt Cooke$1,500,000
Craig Adams$550,000

6) Sign New UFAs
PlayerCap Hit
Nathan Horton$5,000,000
Ladislav Smid$4,000,000
BJ Crombeen$1,000,000
Dan Ellis$1,00,000

Left Wing
Center
Right Wing
Kunitz($3,725,000)Crosby($8,700,000)Horton($5,00,000)
Bennett($900,000)Malkin($8,700,000)Neal($5,00,000)
Cooke($1,500,000)Sutter($2,066,667)Dupuis($2,00,000)
Jeffrey($625,000)Vitale($550,000)Crombeen($1,000,000)
 Adams($550,000) 
Left Defenseman
Right Defenseman
Despres($840,000)Letang($3,500,000)
Smid($4,000,000)Martin($5,000,000)
Niskanen($2,300,000)Engelland($566,667)
 Bortuzzo($575,000)
Goaltenders
Fleury($5,00,000)
Ellis($1,000,000)
Total Cap Hit:$63,128,334
Total Cap Space:$1,171,666

Old
03-04-2013, 05:16 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Bylsma getting fired depends on the playoff run, imo. He needs to either win the Cup or come damn close. I think he'll be replaced if he goes one and done again.

I could see Orpik traded in the off-season but I wouldn't say it's likely.

Way too early to judge Vokoun. He still has time to bounce back.

I think someone would trade for Tanner Glass. He really isn't playing that different from what he did in Winnipeg and he still had numerous offers comparable to what the Pens gave him after leaving there.

Old
03-04-2013, 07:29 AM
GermanTitov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
You mean this summer / next season... next season is their last under contract and there's no way we'll let them go to FA. They'll either get extended this summer or this fall. And yes I agree with you. Shero should absolutely be conservative against the cap we expect to have the next couple years so there's plenty of room to give Letang a big raise (if we're unable to move Martin) and Geno a modest raise, should he ask for one with the shorter terms in the CBA now.

Ryder is not really a Shero/Bylsma type player but he's got the tools to help our team in terms of offensive depth. I'm sure he'd look just fine playing next to Sid. Let's put it this way: I would be happier getting someone like Ryder than another 2nd/3rd line tweener like Ponikarovski, or a "seasoned Defensive guy" who is bordering on plug territory, at a cheaper trade cost / hit.

Ship Kennedy and a decent prospect down there for him + 2nd/3rd round pick in this years deep draft, clear Kennedy's $2M hit, Dupuis moves down to line 3 and creates an even tougher 3rd line IMO with the same amount of production.

Kunitz - Sid - Ryder
Tangradi - Geno - Neal
Cooke - Sutter - Dupers

2x 2nd or 3rd round picks in the draft... still plenty of cap space going into summer... works for me.

Of course this all assumes Dallas is not in the playoff hunt / a buyer rather than a seller this time around. Pretty big assumption.

Really?? Lol its funny how much a month can make in a season. ready to pencil in Tangradi on the 2nd line, but everyone knew he was crap right? everyone knew he was garbage. Lets also throw money at Letang in the offseason. not like we have any good skating puck moving defenseman in our system.

Old
03-04-2013, 07:34 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanTitov View Post
Really?? Lol its funny how much a month can make in a season. ready to pencil in Tangradi on the 2nd line, but everyone knew he was crap right? everyone knew he was garbage. Lets also throw money at Letang in the offseason. not like we have any good skating puck moving defenseman in our system.
Letang needs extended. He has far less value without an extension and Morrow, Pouliot etc. are not quite ready to replace him yet either. I think we extend him this off-season and possibly move him along in a few years if/when one of Morrow or Pouliot makes him expendable.

Closed Thread