Notices

Value of Ryder

Old
02-26-2013, 12:14 AM
Phil Connors*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
If someone's buying, trade him now. You'll get more value since he'll play for his new team longer, and this hot streak can't hurt at all.

I think R. Smith has proven that he can take the spot in the top 6, or you could try Fraser there and let Smith take the spot if he doesn't work out this season. Regardless, we can afford to move him at this point.
Agree'd. Plus Whitney should be back within the next two weeks and will surely make up for Ryder's production.

Phil Connors* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 12:19 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Morrow - Benn - Jagr
Fraser - Roy - Eriksson
Whitney - Eakin - R. Smith

I'd still consider those to all be scoring lines, and all fairly strong ones at that. Obviously some guys missing, and I'd like this a lot better with Morrow gone, Whitney on the top line, and Vincour on the 3rd, but one can only dream so much.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:38 AM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
If someone's buying, trade him now. You'll get more value since he'll play for his new team longer, and this hot streak can't hurt at all.

I think R. Smith has proven that he can take the spot in the top 6, or you could try Fraser there and let Smith take the spot if he doesn't work out this season. Regardless, we can afford to move him at this point.
The thing about waiting for the deadline is that that's when there is a flurry of deals and pressure amps up on GM's. Some even respond to moves made by their rivals that day to balance things back out. I'm also not sure that there is an added bonus for teams to add a player now, given that they will have to have a little more salary cap space available to accommodate a move.

The hope should be that he keeps his hot streak going or gets on another one right before the deadline.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 08:39 AM
Verbal Kint

Why does everyone think that Dallas wouldn't resign Ryder?

Verbal Kint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:27 AM
cojak33

With 35 goals last year and leading the team this year and playing very well ..why not sign him ,he's only 33 this year.Playing very well on the third line ...plus minus is very good great on the pp and plays well with the young guys...not many third line guys have ryders production...IMO

cojak33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:30 AM
English stars fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbal Kint View Post
He'll probably want at least 3 years and we wouldn't want to block the Smith/Fraser/Chiasson/Ritchie/Stransky youth movement going on at wing

English stars fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:29 AM
Shady12
12-13 FGotG Champion

Thinking towards next season if none of the impending vet FA wings return.. Has Fraser played any RW? I look at what Neal is doing as a left shot RW and wonder if Fraser can make that transition as well, mostly just because it would be nice to have him play with a set up man like Whitney..who prefers to play on the left side. It seems like every time I watch the Pens Neal is hammering a one timer in the back of the net from the right side. If Fraser can play on the right, imagine Whitney setting him up for cross-ice one timers.. I know I'm getting ahead of myself looking at next season and assuming some of these guys will be ready for such roles, but if we let the vets walk they'll get their chance regardless.

Whitney-Benn-Fraser
Eriksson-Roy-Ritchie(don't know if he'll be ready but needed to find someone to put here to make the other lines fit)
Smith-Eakin-Chiasson
Garbutt-Fiddler-Roussell

That would be a lot of size and top nine scoring depth. Or..

Whitney-Benn- Eriksson
Fraser-Roy-Smith
??(RW playing on left like Vincour)-Eakin-Chiasson
Garbutt-Fiddler-Roussell

Or if Chiasson looks good and can play in the top six

Whitney-Benn-Eriksson
Fraser-Roy-Chiasson
Smith-Eakin-Vincour
Garbutt-Fiddler-Roussell

Shady12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:39 AM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 27750
Quote:
The forward prospects are almost ready and need spots, plus I don't think Ryder's game is going to age that gracefully 2-3 years down the road.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:57 AM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Quote:
This is from a different thread, but I think this a good reason why:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
If it's the right contract, I wouldn't mind Ryder coming back. I imagine GM Joe feels the same way, but it probably plays out like the Souray negotiations. They really liked the player, but they believe in their young guys and won't give up big term.

He's going to be 33 years old, and IMO his agent won't allow him to settle for a 2 year deal. Not many teams are willing to give 35+ year old players multi-year deals. When they do, it's typically no more than 2 years. The player and agent gambled on a 2 year contract last time, and it seems to be paying off in a big way. My guess is Ryder and his representation seek a 4 year deal, and Dallas won't be willing to go there. Unfortunately, there's almost always someone else willing to do it.

The major hitch in this equation is the cap going down. You'd think teams would be conservative this summer, but that almost never happens. Plus, amnesty buyouts have the potential to create significant cap space.
Behind Corey Perry ... assuming he even hits free agency ... Ryder is likely the most attractive goal scorer on the market, and his agent knows it.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 03:02 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 558
Hate playing against him, but man I'd love to have Perry on the team.

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 03:25 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Gagne just got traded for a 4th. Obviously not quite the caliber of Ryder at this point, but they're pretty similar players.

He's been slumping though, and hasn't had the recent success Ryder has. Also has the injury problems too.

Old
02-26-2013, 03:27 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady12 View Post
Thinking towards next season if none of the impending vet FA wings return.. Has Fraser played any RW? I look at what Neal is doing as a left shot RW and wonder if Fraser can make that transition as well, mostly just because it would be nice to have him play with a set up man like Whitney..who prefers to play on the left side. It seems like every time I watch the Pens Neal is hammering a one timer in the back of the net from the right side. If Fraser can play on the right, imagine Whitney setting him up for cross-ice one timers.. I know I'm getting ahead of myself looking at next season and assuming some of these guys will be ready for such roles, but if we let the vets walk they'll get their chance regardless.

Whitney-Benn-Fraser
Eriksson-Roy-Ritchie(don't know if he'll be ready but needed to find someone to put here to make the other lines fit)
Smith-Eakin-Chiasson
Garbutt-Fiddler-Roussell

That would be a lot of size and top nine scoring depth. Or..

Whitney-Benn- Eriksson
Fraser-Roy-Smith
??(RW playing on left like Vincour)-Eakin-Chiasson
Garbutt-Fiddler-Roussell

Or if Chiasson looks good and can play in the top six

Whitney-Benn-Eriksson
Fraser-Roy-Chiasson
Smith-Eakin-Vincour
Garbutt-Fiddler-Roussell
Ideally, I'd like to see:

Whitney - Benn - Chiasson/Eriksson
Fraser - Roy - Chiasson/Eriksson
Vincour - Eakin - Smith
Garbutt - Fiddler - Roussel
Sceviour/Whoever

I like Nystrom but I think its time we let him go.

Old
02-26-2013, 03:56 PM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

Quote:
Ideally, I'd like to see:

Whitney - Benn - Chiasson/Eriksson
Fraser - Roy - Chiasson/Eriksson
Vincour - Eakin - Smith
Garbutt - Fiddler - Roussel
Sceviour/Whoever

I like Nystrom but I think its time we let him go.
Am I the only one not sold on Roy? It's not ideal but I'd rather put Eakin there and find a 3rd line center than spend absurd money/term on Derek Roy, especially if that means they can trade him at the deadline. He hasn't done wonders and I'm not even sure he's earned a contract offer anywhere near where he and his agent would request.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 04:03 PM
Fly Like a C5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
Am I the only one not sold on Roy? It's not ideal but I'd rather put Eakin there and find a 3rd line center than spend absurd money/term on Derek Roy, especially if that means they can trade him at the deadline. He hasn't done wonders and I'm not even sure he's earned a contract offer anywhere near where he and his agent would request.
This is what would make me consider trading Roy. I think his contract demands are going to be much more than he's worth. The Stars need to be talking to him and his agent right now to get an idea of what he's looking for in his next contract. If it's relatively cheap then hang on to him; if he's looking for a payday then trade him at the deadline.

Fly Like a C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 04:06 PM
txomisc

Quote:
I am not sold on Roy long term either. I think he'd be a good guy to flip at the trade deadline.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 04:06 PM
Brand New Stars

Quote:
He needs to pot some more goals for me to be open to the idea of resigning him.

Brand New Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 04:27 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

No way Roy can ask for more than 5M, and that's pretty fair IMO. 3-4 years at 5M per is a deal I'd take, and one that he shouldn't be asking for more than.

Old
02-26-2013, 04:51 PM
Brand New Stars

Zajac's crazy contract could provide a bad benchmark for players like Roy.

Brand New Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 04:59 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brand New Stars View Post
Zajac's crazy contract could provide a bad benchmark for players like Roy.
If he wants more, let him go. Can't be getting paid more than Benn.

Old
02-26-2013, 05:10 PM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

Quote:
No way Roy can ask for more than 5M, and that's pretty fair IMO. 3-4 years at 5M per is a deal I'd take, and one that he shouldn't be asking for more than.
I'm not sure I want to pay 5m per year for a guy on a 52 point pace over an 82 game season. Small sample size sure but he hasn't helped any of his linemates and the power play isn't exactly on fire, last two games not withstanding. I think Eakin is more than capable of 50 points with the right linemates.

Old
02-26-2013, 05:14 PM
GrinningBuddha

Apparently his value is Erik Cole.

GrinningBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 05:14 PM
SwissLeaf

vCash: 968
Erik Cole, as per Bob McKenzie.

SwissLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 05:15 PM
Captain Awesome

I think you're all crazy for wanting to trade Roy away. He's at about a 52 point pace in 82 games, AKA a 2nd line center. He has the ability to improve on that considering the kind of player he's been while not playing injured. We finally get some center depth and you guys want to trade it away? Do you not remember Tom Wandell centering in the top 6 at the beginning of the season? That's the sort of thing that will happen again if we do, and Eakin isn't realistically going to replace Roy. Unless we get some silly overpayment for Derek Roy, his above average offensive skills and our lack of depth means he's probably going to stay.

Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 05:15 PM
Primetimey

vCash: 83
Don't like this one bit.

Primetimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 05:17 PM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

Seriously what the **** Niewendyk. Ryder for ****ing Erik Cole? That's atrocious. I'd have rather hung onto to him than that return. Why would you trade the better play for the guy with the bigger salary and years left on the price tag?